Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,826 members, 7,813,728 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:05 PM

Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff (21986 Views)

I’m Sad Adeleke Won On PDP Platform – Saraki / Halti Ali-Modu Sheriff's 52nd Birthday Celebration With Her Hubby And Children / How Jonathan Transformed The Refineries.... Setting The Record Straight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by amaechi1: 5:30pm On Feb 17, 2016
Your conclusion would have, "Dear reader, I hope I have being able to convince you not confuse you that PDP has finally told whole world that Boko Haram is PDP, PDP is Boko Haram - Late Azizi"

1 Like

Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:35pm On Feb 17, 2016
erunz:
nice one and welcome back Home.
"Welcome back Home"? Shey I travel before?

EastanPower:
@Tonyebarcanista, are you no longer in APC
I don't understand you at all. Anyways, I am surprised that PDP will settle for Sherif as party chairman.
Well, I never said I've moved to APC. People only assumed while I watch in amazement. If you follow my activities on twitter you would have observed where I dispelled such insinuation when confronted.

Anyway, I took a break from politics and I'm back to opposition politics.

As for Sheriff's appointment, I think we should give our full support to the new man and work with facts. The good thing is that the PDP has taken a step but whether it is perfect or not depends on us and will be revealed by time!

2 Likes

Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by mrjangaweed: 5:38pm On Feb 17, 2016
nickxtra:
Modu Sheriff simply does not have the charisma to lead a waning political party as PDP
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by tuniski: 5:39pm On Feb 17, 2016
CuteInBlack:
@Tonye, you did well but no matter how appealing you try to make this appointment look, I think it was miscalculated by the PDP hierarchy.

SAS is too controversial; a local champ and he does not command so much followership. Except, of course, this is a case of the more you look the less you see. What really is the PDP up to?
what followership is Oyegun of APC commanding?

Btw Ribadu and Sheriff, sheriff is a political heavyweight than Ribadu. The controversy being generated is a clear sign that pdp got it spot on! In politics u must have a face and Reputation. Controversy is hit!
PDP needs a tested political gladiator not a Mr clean to rebirth and challenge the apc. Political arena is not for the faint hearted rather those who are ready to rumble! Welcome the Chairman CAS!!!!!
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by mrjangaweed: 5:40pm On Feb 17, 2016
[s]
amaechi1:
Your conclusion would have, "Dear reader, I hope I have being able to convince you not confuse you that PDP has finally told whole world that Boko Haram is PDP, PDP is Boko Haram - Late Azizi"
[/s]

apc is bokoharam - DSS (merlyn ogar)

that sounds better

3 Likes

Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:42pm On Feb 17, 2016
@Lalasticlala and @Dominique please help with the needful to give readers the other side of the story... cool
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by mrjangaweed: 5:45pm On Feb 17, 2016
tuniski:
what followership is Oyegun of APC commanding?

Btw Ribadu and Sheriff, sheriff is a political heavyweight than Ribadu. The controversy being generated is a clear sign that pdp got it spot on! In politics u must have a face and Reputation. Controversy is hit!
PDP needs a tested political gladiator not a Mr clean to rebirth and challenge the apc. Political arena is not for the faint hearted rather those who are ready to rumble! Welcome the Chairman CAS!!!!!
100% correct though i prefer ribadu but i wish the new chairman the best.

PDP will return that gaddem seat

2 Likes

Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by Ecoterrorism(f): 5:52pm On Feb 17, 2016
seunmsg:
PDP needs a leader that can rebrand and reposition the party ahead of 2019 general election. Considering the general perception that the party is made up majorly corrupt and greedy individuals, the choice of chairman should not be someone that comes with this hefty boko haram baggage.
Take this your advice, wrap it and throw it in trash can.

Let's discuss about buhari and his budget of rats and yams combined

1 Like

Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by hinwazaka: 5:52pm On Feb 17, 2016
A brilliant assertion. Barcanista always brings quality when he puts pen to paper.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by LRNZH(m): 5:54pm On Feb 17, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
BH Sponsor as in how? You should at least show us how he's linked to sponsoring BH.

PS: I will never absolve anyone from BH activities when/if indicted, and I think we all should work with fact on ground and be fair to people

[b]You miss my point.

1. Your whole article was based on the supposed allegations that SAS (Sen. Ali Modu-Sheriff) is one of Boko Haram's founders which you could easily disprove with your write up. That amounts to changing the narrative to an easier one to defend. The real allegation is that of SAS sponsorship of Boko Haram. I challenge you to put up a convincing post defending why SAS is not a Boko Haram sponsor which is the real allegation on ground.

2. The allegations of sponsoring Boko Haram by SAS is not a new one. It is common folklore in the NE for the past 4 years (a region which you OP probably have never been to), up to the point where the Australian negotiator with Boko Haram, Dr. Stephen Davies named SAS as one of the Boko Haram sponsors in 2014. Dr. Davies is yet to be disproved.
https://www.naij.com/283220-australian-negotiator-insists-modu-sheriff-ihejirika-boko-haram-sponsors.html

One thing for sure is there is no smoke without fire. If PDP is a party that has a sense of credibility or integrity, they would not name a man with such a hefty baggage as part Chairman, interim or not.

My suspicion is that SAS has brought a large booty of funds to a party that is currently broke from not having access to government funds under PMB and a hawk-eyed EFCC. For PDP this is a means to survival. But I am not surprised because PDP as a party has no soul that we can't even accuse it of selling out.[/b]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by PRYCE(m): 6:03pm On Feb 17, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
The naming of Senator Ali Modu Sheriff, the former governor of Borno state as the PDP National Chairman and successor to Alhaji Adamu Muazu has generated a lot of controversy in the polity. A prominent member of this forum and staunch critic of PDP, who I consider my brother, friend, and big boss called me to mock the decision of the party. In all honesty, my reaction was more of wearing a sad face that I joined him in the mockery. Who would accept the fact that an "alleged Boko Haram founder" has been saddled with the task of navigating a party that is so engrossed in controversy and is in dire need of leadership? My initial displeasure wasn't hidden even towards some of my PDP comrades.

However, I made up my mind to thoroughly appreciate the man Modu Sheriff and to holistically look at issues that surround his tag as Boko-Haram "founder" to establish whether or not such a moral burden on him is justified.

Sheriff: A Boko Haram Sponsor or Victim of Blackmail?
The Belief...
Before now there is this belief that Ali Modu Sheriff in preparation to 2003 election against then incumbent Malla Kachalla entered into agreement with the Yusufyya BH movement. According to "belief", the Yusufiyya group would support Modu Sheriff's gubernatorial bid on condition that Sheriff's government(if elected) would implement Sharia rule in Borno state. It is also believed Sheriff's appointment of Haramite Alhaji Buji Foi, the National Secretary of Yusufyya Movement as commissioner for religious affairs was in furtherance of the "agreement".

The Facts...
As much as I would not want to draw myself into "defending" anybody associated with BH, I think it will be appropriate to lay this issue to bare. Facts on ground shows that sharia system was adopted in Borno state on August 18, 2000, the law was tagged 'Borno State Sharia Administration of Justice Law 2000'. It came just over a year after Sheriff's predecessor Bala Kachalla took office and almost three years before Sheriff took office. This fact ordinarily should nullify the rumour of purported agreement between Sheriff and Yusufiyya movement prior to 2003 election.
www.news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/887355.stm

It is even a fact that on adoption of Sharia system in Borno state in 2000, then Governor Bala Kachalla constituted Borno State Sharia Law Implementation Committee in February, 2001 headed by Professor Abubakar Mustapha, the former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Maiduguri, with Boko Haram leader Muhammed Yusuf as a member of the committee. If there is anyone that Yusufyya would have supported in 2003 would have been Bala Kachalla, who flew the AD ticket for re-election but lost woefully to Sheriff. Why should Yusuf not support Kachalla when he not only approved Sharia system but also appointed Yusuf into Sharia Implementation Committee?

With respect to the appointment of Alhaji Buji Foi as commissioner of religious affairs, facts on ground showed that before his appointment as commissioner, Foi was Chairman of Kaga LGA(Borno state) under the administration of Bala Kachalla. It is not uncommon to see incumbent governors' appoint former LGA bosses into their cabinet. There is no record to show any public knowlege of Foi BH activity before his appointment. It is pertinent to note that Foi resigned from Sheriff's cabinet to join forces with the sect because the sect saw Sheriff's government as a number one enemy.

If indeed Sheriff was a "founder" of BH movement how come it was his predecessor in office that had direct link with Muhammed Yusuf and Buji Foi? How come it was his government that first declared BH as terrorist group in May 2010 even before the FG(2013), UK(2014) and USA(2014) declared the group as such? How come the group killed his brother Alhaji Goni Mustapha Sheriff, brother-inlaw Alhaji Awana Ngala, and ANPP Guber candidate for 2011 Engr, Modu Fannami Gubio? Who will kill his own paymaster? Why didn't the group help him win 2011 Senatorial election even when his party(ANPP) won the governorship poll, Presidential poll and two seats in the Senate in the said 2011 election?

When Did APC Realise That Sheriff Is a Baggage?
Sheriff has been a member of the opposition since 1998/9. After he left power in 2011, he was appointed BoT Chairman of ANPP, that has John Oyegun(now APC Chairman) as member and also Ogbonnaya Onu(now a minister) as chairman of the party(ANPP). As BoT Chairman of ANPP, he was instrumental to the merger of ANPP, ACN and faction of APGA that formed the APC. He was also a member of APC Board of Trustees between 2013 till he left the party. He wasn't kicked out of APC, he voluntarily resigned to pitch tent with the then ruling PDP. Now I beg to ask, when did APC realise that Sheriff was a baggage?

It is pertinent to note that prominent Borno politicians linked with BH members are members of APC including; late Senator Ahmed Zanna and Senator Ali Ndume. On October 8, 2012 the JTF spokesman Lt Col Sagir Musa released a statement to say that a BH commander Shuaibu Muhammed Bama was arrested in the house of Senator Ahmed Zanna(APC). Zanna only claim was that Bama was/is his nephew and he wasn't arrested in his house. In fact, DSS had to invite Zanna for "questioning". Despite this, the APC still went on to present Zanna for Senate in 2015(which he won but died before inauguration). Similarly, the APC still presented Sen Ali Ndume for Senate in 2015 despite the fact that he was indicted for divulging phone numbers of prominent Nigerians to BH sect and is presently under trial for terrorism charge. If APC could present these two indicted men for election, if they could massively campaign for them, how then are they crying over Sheriff's appointment as PDP boss?

On Sheriff's Appointment As PDP Boss:
As much as I am not too disposed to the former Borno state Governor, I still believe that it is unfair to base opinion on him due to prejudice instead of established fact. As a party loyalist and patriotic Nigerian, I owe it a responsibility to stand for just cause for Nigeria(where my ultimate loyalty lies) and PDP(that I'm aligned with). As such, I think party members should look beyond prejudice and support the new leadership under Senator Modu Sheriff. It is my prayer that the party under Sheriff carry everyone along, bring in the youth, and take the party to greater height.

Finally, is Sheriff the best man for PDP top job? Only time will tell. All I can say is "Welcome onboard Mr Chairman".

May God Bless Us All and Bless Nigeria
Now this is the Tonye I've always admired!
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:07pm On Feb 17, 2016
LRNZH:

[b]You miss my point.

1. Your whole article was based on the allegations that SAS (Sen. Ali Modu-Sheriff) is one of Boko Haram's founder which you couls easily disprove. That amounts to changing the narrative to an easier one to defend. I cahllenge you to put up another post defending why SAS is not a Boko Haram sponsor which is the real allegation on ground.

2. The allegations of sponsoring Boko Harm by SAS is nota new one. It is common folklore in the NE (which you OP probably have never been to), up to the point where the Australian negotiator with Boko Haram, Dr. Stephen Davies named SAS as one of the boko Haram sponsors.
https://www.naij.com/283220-australian-negotiator-insists-modu-sheriff-ihejirika-boko-haram-sponsors.html

One thing for sure is that there is no smoke without fire. If PDP is a party that has a sense of credibitlty or integrity they could not name a man with sucg a hefty baggage as part Chjairman, interim or niot.

My suspicion is that SAS has brought a large booty of funds to a party that is currently broke from not having access to governement funds under PMB and a hawk-eye EFCC. For PDP this is a means to survival.[/b]
1. When an accusation is made, the onus is on the accuser to prove the allegation and not the accused to prove otherwise. The accused will only respond to whatever is presented by the accuser and set record straight. I have looked at the whole thing and yet to see anywhere linking SAS.

Note that before now I was one of those that put up a straight face when the announcement was made. I know the importance of image.

2. Yes, Reverend Davies made allegation but again he's yet to tell us what links SAS. I implore APC government to revisit the allegation that was made on Arise TV.

3. PDP caucus have their reason behind Sheriff. Perhaps they want a "strongman" from the NE but whatever the reason is, only time will tell whether or not it is spot on. Beside was he lacking credibility when he was ANPP BoT Chairman?
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by Chigold101(m): 6:08pm On Feb 17, 2016
Tonyebarcanista
Your point is well written but how can a party in dire need of way forward appoint someone whom even members of his party distrust so much?
How would Ali Modu Sherrif convince ordinary Nigerians that he has no hand in BH?
Bros the truth is that PDP goofed BIG TIME by appointing him their chairman. ARE THERE NO MORE CREDIBLE SANE PEOPLE in PDP?
A man that is gasping for water does not acid to survive. If he does... U know what the result will be.
Bros stop “making“ his image, PDP under Ali Sherrif wont survive 2016.
I see 3new parties unless something happens before June in PDP.
ALI MODU SHERRIF IS A VERY WRONG CHOICE.

2 Likes

Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:13pm On Feb 17, 2016
PRYCE:
Now this is the Tonye I've always admired!
Well, I'm fully back from my self-imposed break from party activities

1 Like

Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by LRNZH(m): 6:22pm On Feb 17, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

1. When an accusation is made, the onus is on the accuser to prove the allegation and not the accused to prove otherwise. The accused will only respond to whatever is presented by the accuser and set record straight. I have looked at the whole thing and yet to see anywhere linking SAS.

Note that before now I was one of those that put up a straight face when the announcement was made. I know the importance of image.

2. Yes, Reverend Davies made allegation but again he's yet to tell us what links SAS. I implore APC government to revisit the allegation that was made on Arise TV.

3. PDP caucus have their reason behind Sheriff. Perhaps they want a "strongman" from the NE but whatever the reason is, only time will tell whether or not it is spot on. Beside was he lacking credibility when he was ANPP BoT Chairman?

But you are addressing the wrong issue (or a non-issue). Founding Boko Haram is not the allegation. Sponsoring Boko Haram is the allegation.
With all due respect, your write-up is irrelevant to addressing, proving or disproving any allegation. It only serves to share your opinion (approval) on SAS selection as PDP Chairman and you are entitled to hold any opinion.

For the sake or prosperity, the allegation runs thus:

A group known as Borno Patriots was set up to campaign for Sheriff's arrest. The campaign against Sheriff intensified after he took part in negotiations to release an arms-filled Russian cargo plane in Kano.

Allegations that Sheriff had connections with Boko Haram surfaced in 2003, when, according to reports, he courted the terror group during his campaign for the post of governor of Borno State. Sheriff allegedly courted Boko Haram for the mass appeal that they had in Borno and Yobe states, and for the militant, strong-arm tactics that the Islamists had to offer him to defend his influence.
Boko Haram in return received resources to buy weapons and were promised that a strict sharia law would be enforced in the state.
Sheriff eventually implemented sharia in Borno state after he came to power in 2003. But Boko Haram felt that it didn't go far enough.

http://www.theafricareport.com/West-Africa/nigeria-group-wants-ex-governor-arrested-over-boko-haram-links.html
So Boko haram existed before SAS approached them. Also, between Zanna and SAS lies the secret of Boko Haram sponsorship.

Senator Ahmad Zanna, representing Borno Central, has said a Boko Haram commander, Shuaibu Bama, was arrested in the house of former governor Ali Modu Sheriff and not in his (Senator Zanna) house, contrary to the claim by the Joint Task Force, JTF.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/high-profile-boko-haram-member-arrested-in-ali-modu-sheriffs-house-zanna/

Please show us evidence of SAS being ANPP national BOT Chairman. Also, is PDP modeling itself after the defunct ANPP? I SMH.

Like I stated NE "strongman" is due to monetary purposes. In Borno state, SAS is a persona non-grata with the masses:

SAS has been stoned severally in Maiduguri: http://www.osundefender.org/youths-stoned-modu-sheriffs-car-as-hundreds-of-soldiers-lead-him-into-maiduguri/

QED.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by PRYCE(m): 6:23pm On Feb 17, 2016
I said this in an earlier thread

"To me, I think The PDP isn't dumb as to appoint Sherrif their chairman for nothing with all the scathing allegations against him.

The PDP must have something up their sleeves... might be a stunt to pull in something we've not yet seen. Waiting eagerly.

To APC supporters shouting from every whole in their bodies, If you make UNSUBSTANTIATED accusations against sherrif, it means everything we've said about the dullard sponsoring BH are valid... cos y'all replies were 'We've got no evidence'.
"

Maybe you may have seen it....

The Rhetoric on Sherrif sponsoring Boko Haram blew out of proportion when Yusuf was extra judicially killed outside a police station in Maiduguri after sherrif had met with him for allegedly trying to "escape"

People suggested that he (SAS) tried to shut him up (About his role in BH) diplomatically but Yusuf declined so he ordered the policemen to kill him. In fact, I was schooling in Maiduguri then... it was a hot topic!

I still cannot fathom the logic behind his emergence but as you said, only time will tell.

Plus all the reasons you gave up there are valid.

1 Like

Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:26pm On Feb 17, 2016
Chigold101:
Tonyebarcanista
Your point is well written but how can a party in dire need of way forward appoint someone whom even members of his party distrust so much?
How would Ali Modu Sherrif convince ordinary Nigerians that he has no hand in BH?
Bros the truth is that PDP goofed BIG TIME by appointing him their chairman. ARE THERE NO MORE CREDIBLE SANE PEOPLE in PDP?
A man that is gasping for water does not acid to survive. If he does... U know what the result will be.
Bros stop “making“ his image, PDP under Ali Sherrif wont survive 2016.
I see 3new parties unless something happens before June in PDP.
ALI MODU SHERRIF IS A VERY WRONG CHOICE.
Before now there was this perception of Buhari and Boko Haram . As long as politics is concerned there will always accusation and name-tagging. Only the truth and fact can neutralise it...

Is Sheriff a wrong person? Time will tell... As for new parties, I won't say much

2 Likes

Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by knightsTempler: 6:31pm On Feb 17, 2016
Between Ndume, Ali Modu Sheriff Buhari and Boko Haram

Like it or not, any power broker in the North today is one that has links to Boko Haram. It is either a Buhari that Boko Haram nominates to represent them, an Ndume that agrees he buys Boko Haram goats and yet APC makes him an officer of the house, or an Ali Modu Sheriff that PDP may have named their party chairman.

Guys like Namadi Sambo and Ribadu with zero links to Boko Haram means they are not so grassroots. The grassroots in the North is very linked to Boko Haram, like it or not. It is like a governor of Niger Delta state saying he does not have one or two militants supporting him. Na lie.

Nigeria has lost her conscience and soul. We all knew Buhari would free Boko Haram members caught.He did and does still. We know Ndume is like a god in the Legislature as he is the one guaranteeing people's safety. PDP has played it smart choosing Ali Modu Sheriff. The election results and violence will now be both ways. Nigeria has proven they hate gentlemen. It is roforofo Boko Haram style between APC and PDP in that North. It is battle for the grassroots.

As long as Buhari and Ndume are in power in APC, PDP has elected the best foil for them. It takes iron to bend iron. You do not take a knife to a gunfight.

It Will never be about bettering Nigeria. It will always be about POWER!!!

- Ofygara

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by wristbangle: 6:37pm On Feb 17, 2016
Well written tonyebarcanista but I don't think PDP can still become the heavyweight party.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by Onlyhandsome(m): 6:39pm On Feb 17, 2016
A reputable company in the oil and gas industry based in port Harcourt, Rivers State, wishes to further upgrade its operations.

We require the services of the position below:

Job Title: Admin Officers/ Business Support Assistant/ Data Analyst

General Competence Requirements
For this position, candidates must possess valid driver's license and be medically fit.
They should also hold recognized training qualification, preferably in the area of road transport such as fleet registered instructor issued by driving standards agency (DSA) UK; diploma in advanced driving instructor issued by Royal society for the prevention of accident (ROSPA) UK;
Authorised driving instructor by a recognized Government body or association.
Candidate must be between 25 to 40 years old and have at least 5 years of relevant vehicle (light or HGV) driving experience a clear traffic offence history for the last three years and at least 2 years of DDC testing experience.
Remuneration
Competitive and attractive.

Application Closing Date
8th March, 2016.

Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application letter and CV's to: noutcome@yahoo.com
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by gigabyte13: 6:40pm On Feb 17, 2016
If l read all this nonsense make chelsea go relegation.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by kennydee05(m): 6:41pm On Feb 17, 2016
All in know is that SAS (Sheriff)is a bad market for PDP..... if only u can see how North-Easterners hate him.
Another point to use campaigning against PDP come 2019....

Bye bye PDP
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by blackpriest0911: 6:44pm On Feb 17, 2016
Boko haram sponsor...lets bury PDP forever
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:44pm On Feb 17, 2016
LRNZH:

[b]But you are addressing the wrong issue (or a non-issue). Founding Boko Haram is not the allegation. Sponsoring Boko Haram is the allegation.
With all due respect, your write-up is irrelevant to addressing, proving or disproving any allegation. It only serves to share your opinion (approval) on SAS selection as PDP Chairman and you are entitled to hold any opinion.

For the sake or prosperity, the allegation runs thus:

A group known as Borno Patriots was set up to campaign for Sheriff's arrest. The campaign against Sheriff intensified after he took part in negotiations to release an arms-filled Russian cargo plane in Kano.

Allegations that Sheriff had connections with Boko Haram surfaced in 2003, when, according to reports, he courted the terror group during his campaign for the post of governor of Borno State.
Sheriff allegedly courted Boko Haram for the mass appeal that they had in Borno and Yobe states, and for the militant, strong-arm tactics that the Islamists had to offer him to defend his influence.
Boko Haram in return received resources to buy weapons and were promised that a strict sharia law would be enforced in the state.
Sheriff eventually implemented sharia in Borno state after he came to power in 2003. But Boko Haram felt that it didn't go far enough.

So Boko haram existed before SAS approached them. Also, between Zanna and SAS lies the secrect of Boko Haram sponsorship.

Senator Ahmad Zanna, representing Borno Central, has said a Boko Haram commander, Shuaibu Bama, was arrested in the house of former governor Ali Modu Sheriff and not in his (Senator Zanna) house, contrary to the claim by the Joint Task Force, JTF.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/10/high-profile-boko-haram-member-arrested-in-ali-modu-sheriffs-house-zanna/

Please show us evidence of SAS being ANPP national BOT Chairman.

Like I stated NE "strongman" is due to monetary purposes. In Borno state, SAS is a persona non-grata with the masses:
SAS has been stoned severally in Maiduguri: http://www.osundefender.org/youths-stoned-modu-sheriffs-car-as-hundreds-of-soldiers-lead-him-into-maiduguri/

QED.[/b]
Again you failed when you choose to use "Zanna's baseless argument".

Let me quote the JTF Spokesman Col Sagir....
“At about 11 am on Thursday, October 18, 2012, a high profile Boko Haram commander, one Shuaibu Muhammed Bama, who has been on the list of wanted terrorists operating between Bama and Maiduguri, was arrested by the task force troops in a serving Senator’s house along Damboa Road, GRA, Maiduguri. He is in the custody of the JTF and assisting in the investigation and has since made startling revelations,” the statement, which was signed by its spokesman, Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa, said.
www.dailytrust.com.ng/sunday/index.php/top-stories/11845-boko-haram-now-senators-sheriff-zanna-clash-on-the-truth

Fact check shows that ONLY Senator Zanna has house in Damboa Road, GRA and Zanna admitted that Bama that was arrested is/was his nephew. How did Sheriff come into this? Abi JTF no know where them arrest person again?

Who stoned Sheriff? APC loyalists or "Maiduguri people"?
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by Idrismusty97(m): 6:44pm On Feb 17, 2016
With his Fat neck like cowbell, He has the natural looks of a BH sponsor. 2019 would be a walkover for APC.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by InvertedHammer: 6:44pm On Feb 17, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
The naming of Senator Ali Modu Sheriff, the former governor of Borno state as the PDP National Chairman and successor to Alhaji Adamu Muazu has generated a lot of controversy in the polity. A prominent member of this forum and staunch critic of PDP, who I consider my brother, friend, and big boss called me to mock the decision of the party. In all honesty, my reaction was more of wearing a sad face that I joined him in the mockery. Who would accept the fact that an "alleged Boko Haram founder" has been saddled with the task of navigating a party that is so engrossed in controversy and is in dire need of leadership? My initial displeasure wasn't hidden even towards some of my PDP comrades.

However, I made up my mind to thoroughly appreciate the man Modu Sheriff and to holistically look at issues that surround his tag as Boko-Haram "founder" to establish whether or not such a moral burden on him is justified.

Sheriff: A Boko Haram Sponsor or Victim of Blackmail?
The Belief...
Before now there is this belief that Ali Modu Sheriff in preparation to 2003 election against then incumbent Malla Kachalla entered into agreement with the Yusufyya BH movement. According to "belief", the Yusufiyya group would support Modu Sheriff's gubernatorial bid on condition that Sheriff's government(if elected) would implement Sharia rule in Borno state. It is also believed Sheriff's appointment of Haramite Alhaji Buji Foi, the National Secretary of Yusufyya Movement as commissioner for religious affairs was in furtherance of the "agreement".

The Facts...
As much as I would not want to draw myself into "defending" anybody associated with BH, I think it will be appropriate to lay this issue to bare. Facts on ground shows that sharia system was adopted in Borno state on August 18, 2000, the law was tagged 'Borno State Sharia Administration of Justice Law 2000'. It came just over a year after Sheriff's predecessor Bala Kachalla took office and almost three years before Sheriff took office. This fact ordinarily should nullify the rumour of purported agreement between Sheriff and Yusufiyya movement prior to 2003 election.
www.news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/887355.stm

It is even a fact that on adoption of Sharia system in Borno state in 2000, then Governor Bala Kachalla constituted Borno State Sharia Law Implementation Committee in February, 2001 headed by Professor Abubakar Mustapha, the former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Maiduguri, with Boko Haram leader Muhammed Yusuf as a member of the committee. If there is anyone that Yusufyya would have supported in 2003 would have been Bala Kachalla, who flew the AD ticket for re-election but lost woefully to Sheriff. Why should Yusuf not support Kachalla when he not only approved Sharia system but also appointed Yusuf into Sharia Implementation Committee?

May God Bless Us All and Bless Nigeria
/
Pre-Momodu era, Borno State adopted Sharia law.

During Momodu's tenure, Borno State adopted Boko Haram strategy.

Law and Strategy are two different things.

\

1 Like

Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by basty: 6:46pm On Feb 17, 2016
Who is this TonyeBarcabista, to hell with your analysis. Who art thou to paint Alimodu sheriff in the light he is not we know you are a PDP apologist and entitled to your opinion. Continue deceiving yourself and your co-travellers on Nairaland&source.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by boluwatife66(m): 6:46pm On Feb 17, 2016
First of all i have to welcome you back to whr you belong. second of all I think PDP's choice is something am still finding difficult at dis time that we need real rebranding..Nuhu ribadu would have been a better choice. but the zombies that are now shouting "bh sponsor" seems to have forgotten that SAS was a founding member of APC.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by Chigold101(m): 6:47pm On Feb 17, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Before now there was this perception of Buhari and Boko Haram . As long as politics is concerned there will always accusation and name-tagging. Only the truth and fact can neutralise it...

Is Sheriff a wrong person? Time will tell... As for new parties, I won't say much
Well... It is a pity because there will be no time here to tell if Modu Sherrif is wrong or not. The party called PDP is in trouble. They goofed by chosing Modu.

As for boko haram & buhari. Buhari is strong sympatiser of boko haram. His statements before he became the president and how he releases boko haram detanees also prooves that.
Having said that. The level of Sherifs involvement in controvercy is the one that no sane person would overlook based on where PDP is today in Nigeria.
Arms deal scandal (dasukigate) has mared the image of every PDP member. To the extent that even PDP members are ashamed of standing up in some places.
We know that PDP members are being witch hunted but it doesnt matter to any Nigeria.

PDP needs a CLEAN man. APC picked Buhari because he is “believed“ to be a man of integrity.
PDP is fallen down like LONDON BRIDGE.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by omolola15(m): 6:48pm On Feb 17, 2016
This is getting more and more interesting.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by Teddeebear: 6:49pm On Feb 17, 2016
temitemi1:
Let's wait n see what he can offer bt Sheriff as PDP chairman I swear my belle dey pain me.
he has just 7months to complete north east tenure, also many NE politicians rejected the offer, even Ribadu was absent.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On PDP Chairman Ali Modu Sheriff by Ecoterrorism(f): 6:49pm On Feb 17, 2016
Genius100:
PDP leadership don settle Barcanista
grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Supreme Court Sacks Herman Hembe, APC House Of Reps Member / My Father Forgave Buhari Before his death - Bala shagari / IPOB Members Mock Nigeria As They Declare No 2019 Election (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.