Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,206 members, 7,953,765 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:49 AM

Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS (26131 Views)

Police Fire Tear Gas At Protesters In Cross River (Photos) / Protest At INEC Office In Edo. Police Repel Protesters With Tear Gas (Pics) / Buhari’s Bodyguards Weep & Protest Over "Hijacking Of The President By Cabals" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by shammah1(m): 7:41pm On Feb 18, 2016
Dullard Buhari at work

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Nobody: 7:41pm On Feb 18, 2016
Who cares about d arrested NANS member, the FG employed dis VC's they have their choice to sack them if they want.
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Nobody: 7:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
LegalAnalyst:
Nigerian police are unprofessional in their handling of protesters. Don't they know that it is only when protest turns violent that option of arrest or disperse with tear gas then becomes necessary.

It is the fundamental right of any Nigerian to protest or hold rally and procession even without Police Permit any where in Nigeria.

*NaijaLegalAnalyst*
don't you read where they broke glass?
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by erekoshe: 7:49pm On Feb 18, 2016
adioolayi:

It's better you rather keep shut in discussions beyond your scope...It's glaring you know nothing about how decisions are made in Nigeria's Institutions.. oponu

http://www.informationng.com/2012/05/varsity-exercises-autonomy-picks-vc.html

Bro, pick your fight wisely, don't be dragged down and defeated in the gutters
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by nijanigga: 7:52pm On Feb 18, 2016
emzila:
why d protest in the first place, were they the ones that employed those VCs.
the topic should Nigerian police dispersed paid tugs on protest with tear gas. I don't even know what the youths go to school to read these days.
you got it , that's why many of them are unemployable.

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by magicfingers009: 7:53pm On Feb 18, 2016
I love this news. That useless NANS president collected money from the previous administration and openly supported GEJ. He even went further to say NANS endorsed GEJ. Good riddance to bad rubbish. He should be dealt with in jail so when he comes out, he would learn how to focus on his education than organize a protest that is clearly meant for ASUU to organize
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Montaque(m): 7:54pm On Feb 18, 2016
emzila:
why d protest in the first place, were they the ones that employed those VCs.
the topic should Nigerian police dispersed paid tugs on protest with tear gas. I don't even know what the youths go to school to read these days.
Have u heard of employee with statutory flavour?
i would that u go and read.

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by delchimndu(m): 7:54pm On Feb 18, 2016
LegalAnalyst:
Nigerian police are unprofessional in their handling of protesters. Don't they know that it is only when protest turns violent that option of arrest or disperse with tear gas then becomes necessary.

It is the fundamental right of any Nigerian to protest or hold rally and procession even without Police Permit any where in Nigeria.

*NaijaLegalAnalyst*
Compare the story you read with what you are now saying & your name in this forum pls.

2 Likes

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by iokpebholo: 7:58pm On Feb 18, 2016
arsenal33:

You did not vote for change
He did not,na only ur vote make buhari president.mcheew
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Montaque(m): 7:59pm On Feb 18, 2016
evansjeff:
what's their business with appointment of VCS, i know what I'm saying, I was an sug member, they are only acting on instructions from the sacked VCS for financial gains. Go fight for Nigerian students.
You know less of why the protest is necessary. There are employees of the federal government that can't be fired at will, and ASUU fought for that and got it. That's now stipulated in the university laws, the means and procedure for hiring and sacking, it's no longer government affair solely. Ask people in the sug circle and those in the know. The protest is ripe and the ASUU suppose to champion it.

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Montaque(m): 8:02pm On Feb 18, 2016
If u were in opposition to the way Sls was sacked as cbn governor by gej and u don't see anything wrong in this present mass sack, u are close to hypocrisy.
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by DanGombe1: 8:03pm On Feb 18, 2016
The students spoilt their protest (which I knew they would) when they engaged in violence and broke the screen of a government vehicle. Most NANS people are gbemites and academically challenged students who can't articulate and channel their grievances peacefully without resorting to violence. Secondly, if the Students and ASUU insist on their independence and tenure of their VC, then the Fed Govt should stop any intervention or give funding to the universities. Let them go and look for money to pay salaries and build hostels. Let us see if they are willing to eat the independence. But as long as the Federal Govt is paying the lecturers salaries, building lecture theaters and paying the expenses of the school, it will continue to call the shots on who it deems fit to run its universities.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by tansho(m): 8:04pm On Feb 18, 2016
It serves the students right. They have a right to protest and peaceful assembly but they have no right whatsoever to damage any property while doing so. You don't take laws into your hands cos you're on a protest. They need to grow up

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by MossLuv: 8:11pm On Feb 18, 2016
I think is high time nigerian youths do something that will make govt respect and regard them again. Govt no have regard for youths any longer why?? I remember when govt use to go on his kneels begging when ever youths threaten to demostrate but today its a crime! Those it mean that the youth of this generation is weak? Or our leaders become careless about the lifes of the youths?
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by isaacgravity(m): 8:15pm On Feb 18, 2016
JAMB 2016: How To Re-print JAMB Slip For 2016/2017 UTME Exam Date, Time And Venue >>> http://www.schoolnewsportal.com/2016/02/how-to-reprint-your-jamb-exam-slip-for.html?m=1
PLEASE SHARE!!!
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by texazzpete(m): 8:17pm On Feb 18, 2016
nnachukz:
Buhari in action. If you protest you will be arrested. This is militocracy. All security agencies have buhari's body language manual, they understand and follow it religiously. Killing, arresting and illegally detaining Nigerians at any seen opportunity.

I wonder if you'd be this daft if it was your own SUV that was vandalized by the NANS agitators?

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by IrradiatoR: 8:17pm On Feb 18, 2016
nnachukz:
Buhari in action. If you protest you will be arrested. This is militocracy. All security agencies have buhari's body language manual, they understand and follow it religiously. Killing, arresting and illegally detaining Nigerians at any seen opportunity.

what says you about the part:
"smashed the windscreen of a sports utility vehicle with registration number FG 23 A31, belonging to the Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs as it drove by.''
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by ColtPython(m): 8:17pm On Feb 18, 2016
Aluta peepos grin
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by TheyStoleMyName(m): 8:22pm On Feb 18, 2016
Lol... Money hungry street thugs. Ignorant fools don't know breaking a windscreen is sufficient grounds for police interference. Stupid youths!
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Abeymills(m): 8:27pm On Feb 18, 2016
D dark days are back hw sad so sad for dis country d tyrant is risen again n d zombie worshippers are applauding evil n destruction of our beloved country Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by IrradiatoR: 8:29pm On Feb 18, 2016
delchimndu:
Compare the story you read with what you are now saying & your name in this forum pls.

you are right bro. . .

did he read it at all? I doubt it.
I think LegalAnalyst should read through and revisit his post

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by ndcide(m): 8:35pm On Feb 18, 2016
Abeg forgot ASUU. The present ASUU is an appendage of APC.
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by symbianDON(m): 8:38pm On Feb 18, 2016
adioolayi:

Universities have autonomy...ASUU fought for it for years...Appointment of VCs is the responsibility of the governing council... The presidency only ratify their decisions...presidency cannot impose a VC on a University.. that's AUTONOMY.
I want to believe the leadership of ASUU is studying this development... except they have been bought as alleged by this NANS executive, all Federal and State Universities will be grounded because they will go on strike

Read about autonomy here..
maybe you are not aware but new councils have not been appointed for all tertiary institutions yet. the old council left with the outgone government. as it stands, only the federal government can appoint and fire VCs.
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by adioolayi(m): 8:42pm On Feb 18, 2016
symbianDON:

maybe you are not aware but new councils have not been appointed for all tertiary institutions yet. the old council left with the outgone government. as it stands, only the federal government can appoint and fire VCs.
Their tenure has not ended....it's against the autonomy act to sack them.

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Nobody: 8:47pm On Feb 18, 2016
nnachukz:
What has Buhari got to do with it? didn't you see when they smashed a car in the article? Must Nigeria student destroy property to express their anger in protest?
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Nobody: 8:50pm On Feb 18, 2016
adioolayi:

Universities have autonomy...ASUU fought for it for years...Appointment of VCs is the responsibility of the governing council... The presidency only ratify their decisions...presidency cannot impose a VC on a University.. that's AUTONOMY.
I want to believe the leadership of ASUU is studying this development... except they have been bought as alleged by this NANS executive, all Federal and State Universities will be grounded because they will go on strike

Read about autonomy here..
it is possible that the said university and vc are not part of ASUU and so there is not ASUU can do about it.
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by kuuljay(m): 8:52pm On Feb 18, 2016
LegalAnalyst:

*NaijaLegalAnalyst*
thought I read where a sport utility vehicle wind screen was smashed, it's either we didn't read the same thing or both of us have different comprehension, Pls prove me wrong
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Harrehmoon(m): 8:52pm On Feb 18, 2016
Did PMB need to consult Govering council before he can sack VCs. Our people need more orientation at this junction, The protest is baseless.
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Nobody: 8:53pm On Feb 18, 2016
LegalAnalyst:

*NaijaLegalAnalyst*
Most protest in Nigeria end up being violent
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by abimic(m): 8:54pm On Feb 18, 2016
IrradiatoR:

you are right bro. . .

did he read it at all? I doubt it.
I think LegalAnalyst should read through and revisit his post

As an analyst, u vet every information running in your head and also ensure it correlates with what comes out of your mouth so that it corroborates what u see and read. But here, he was too forward to criticise from one angle leaving in shambles the other end. Arrest was so needed if only for the shattered screen. Firstly, no one knows if the minister was on ground to receive them of which if he was available, he would have attended to them but impatience and ulterior motives on the part of the protesters made them shatter the screen. And when do students start fighting for lecturers' rights? don't the lecturers have their own association? Have they proscribed ASUU and SSANU?
NANS can't be crying more than the bereaved and how does the protest benefit the students of Universities if not the NANS and their cohorts. ASUU can take up the issue themselves and NANS should stop acting like political appendage of what I don't know.

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by LegalAnalyst(m): 8:58pm On Feb 18, 2016
delchimndu:

Thanks I appreciate your maturity for the subtle correction.

However, I feel by my knowledge of "POLICING" attempt should first of all be made in form of caution to warn protesters to avoid protest turning into a violent one before anything. In fact, you and I know that anger is sometime associated with protest( though not always). This is cos we are human being! If the caution then fails, the police can thereafter resort to lawful means of suppressing the possible or actual violent protest.

In conclusion, even after my second reading of the thread as suggested, I could not see any attempt of caution by the police. That was why I said they are unprofessional.

Anyway, I thank you all. I have noted that. NaijaLegalAnalyst appreciate you all (IrradiatoR, Nifemitech, delchimndu & others)
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by joxxy01(m): 9:08pm On Feb 18, 2016
senseless protest

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mohammed Barkindo Appointed As OPEC Secretary-General / Rivers Is Not Edo, Oraye Tells Amaechi / Photos From Atiku Abubakar's 70th Birthday Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.