Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,116 members, 7,957,175 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 08:30 AM

Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS (26135 Views)

Police Fire Tear Gas At Protesters In Cross River (Photos) / Protest At INEC Office In Edo. Police Repel Protesters With Tear Gas (Pics) / Buhari’s Bodyguards Weep & Protest Over "Hijacking Of The President By Cabals" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Jalinco: 5:50am On Feb 19, 2016
Well done to the police for dispersing those NANSence students. They are protest contractors

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by LegalAnalyst(m): 6:42am On Feb 19, 2016
nkemdi89:

In your legal parlance I want you to read about minimal force, before you blame the force.

You are appreciated. I have addressed this comment after several quotes like this. *NaijaLegalAnalyst* appreciate you.

Cc: iamtomiymb
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Imoy(m): 7:11am On Feb 19, 2016
emzila:
why d protest in the first place, were they the ones that employed those VCs.
the topic should be Nigerian police dispersed paid tugs on protest with tear gas. I don't even know what the youths go to school to read these days.

Even the NANS president is a paid thug?

Gush! Na so your zombie don carry u reach?

May God in his infinite mercies dash u sense.
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by nicolosam(m): 7:26am On Feb 19, 2016
bcashy:

I wonder ooooo my brother !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! these are the the same touts that were in support of uncle jonah before election............ let them know there is no room for thugs in this adminstration, if they are not satisfied, they should lets meet at the polls again 2019 God's grace

Students, in fact every civil person in the modern world cannot fold its arms when injustice reigns! If ASUU won't protest, NANS have the right to protest. However, NANS is no longer united like before because they have become political thugs. Candidly, why were the VCs sacked? To be replaced by political cronies of ruling party too? What happened to the Governing Councils in these Institutions in question? Nigeria under an illiterate despot!
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Mopolchi: 7:29am On Feb 19, 2016
babadem2much:

My brother if my son is there let him just prepare and start paying his school fees because that is not what i sent him to do.

As if the VC don reduce him school fees
awon yan banza kowai
Lol. Na true you talk. I can't waste my time on those VCs who mostly have lost touch with academics and are now after filthy lucre. I no pity them at all. Make dem carry the one wey dem don chop go that one fit serve them for the next twenty years. Like you say if say my pikin join them do that rubbish, as e come back I go ask am wetin dey special wey the vc don do for am; if he no gree talk, I go send am back to the vc so that the vc go continue from where I stop for im school fees.

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Mopolchi: 7:39am On Feb 19, 2016
nicolosam:

Students, in fact every civil person in the modern world cannot fold its arms when injustice reigns! If ASUU won't protest, NANS have the right to protest. However, NANS is no longer united like before because they have become political thugs. Candidly, why were the VCs sacked? To be replaced by political cronies of ruling party too? What happened to the Governing Councils in these Institutions in question? Nigeria under an illiterate despot!
Mister man, may I ask you what have NANS received from these ousted vcs that will warrant them to riot against the FG? You also need to ask why has ASUU not reacted since their ousting? Most of these vcs are greedy and try to run their schools independently of ASUU and nans. That being said, it is proper that the nans should stay out of the picture now, after all many of them per se were as a result of political nepotism and were cronies to GEJ. So as they came so they should go. Nature does not jump and abhors vacuum.

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by babadem2much(m): 7:44am On Feb 19, 2016
Mopolchi:
Lol. Na true you talk. I can't waste my time on those VCs who mostly have lost touch with academics and are now after filthy lucre. I no pity them at all. Make dem carry the one wey dem don chop go that one fit serve them for the next twenty years. Like you say if say my pikin join them do that rubbish, as e come back I go ask am wetin dey special wey the vc don do for am; if he no gree talk, I go send am back to the vc so that the vc go continue from where I stop for im school fees.

We have the same ideology my brother, who the Vc don help ? paid protestesters I blame their brains because even if the VCS son is in that school he will definitely not join in the protest.

My days in school my late Dad will hold his ear n my own warning me before resuming school, if you go school go misbehave I swear ehn no worry till u fumble na dat time u go know me

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by babadem2much(m): 7:45am On Feb 19, 2016
Mopolchi:
Mister man, may I ask you what have NANS received from these ousted vcs that will warrant them to riot against the FG? You also need to ask why has ASUU not reacted since their ousting? Most of these vcs are greedy and try to run their schools independently of ASUU and nans. That being said, it is proper that the nans should stay out of the picture now, after all many of them per se were as a result of political nepotism and were cronies to GEJ. So as they came so they should go. Nature does not jump and abhors vacuum.

Nailed

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by emzila(m): 7:47am On Feb 19, 2016
femiero:

I'm sure that like your principal buhari, you don't have university education. I don't know how a man who didn't improve himself since 1984 academically can improve the country.

you haven't tell me why they should be people protesting. if there are people who feel there right or rule of engagement has been violated and need to protest, I think that should be the VCs.
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Mopolchi: 7:49am On Feb 19, 2016
babadem2much:

We have the same ideology my brother, who the Vc don help ? paid protestesters I blame their brains because even if the VCS son is in that school he will definitely not join in the protest.

My days in school my late Dad will hold his ear n my own warning me before resuming school, if you go school go misbehave I swear ehn no worry till u fumble na dat time u go know me
lwkmd as for your papa's attitude while advising you. But seriously I can't waste my time for any yeye vc. If e vex the vc make im go court, as simple as that.

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by emzila(m): 7:53am On Feb 19, 2016
poseidon12:

Get informed please. The government actually does not have the power to arbitrarily sack and appoint VC's. The university governing councils are supposed to do that. I believe the case is heading to the court and ultimately to the supreme court. This is what I got from Dr Femi Aribisala's article on the budget of fraud.
So I believe the students' protest is in order.
are you saying this is the first in Nigeria history that VC is fired by the FG? if not why should this be different. another half bake Nigerian graduate cited.
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by odomanis: 7:58am On Feb 19, 2016
Pavarottii:
Wen we were warning them; they said they wanted change. And didn't ask of the kind of change.

My dear, if only it were possible for those who supported this negative change to be the only ones suffering it now. Unfortunately, all of us are suffering it. What a country !

1 Like

Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Montaque(m): 8:09am On Feb 19, 2016
henryhemon:

They were not sacked,their tenures expired apart from 3 others.

oh three others?
How nice.
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Montaque(m): 8:12am On Feb 19, 2016
evansjeff:
and since ASUU didn't for obvious reasons, NANS then decide to take it up, of all the pressing issues the Nigerian student is conspicuously faced with, from substandard lecture halls, hostels, arbitrary hike in fees, outrageous cases of molestation from lecturers...common...get me right, they are doing this because this is what will fetch them financial benefits if they succeed anyway

Your issue now is who should take up the struggle? and not whether the struggle is justified. that is better.
You should know that this action by the FG can jeopardize all the points u made above, since they now have absolute control of those that run the schools, instead of the school council n senate.
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Fchristo(m): 8:16am On Feb 19, 2016
President Buhari should know that Military regime is far gone and now is civilian administration. Niger Deltan's who voted him should also be carried along in his government.
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by khattab02: 9:50am On Feb 19, 2016
I keep asking this question, is there anything as ''peaceful protest''??
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by joe120120(m): 10:05am On Feb 19, 2016
[quote author=tolexy007 post=43038022]A team of policemen on Thursday dispersed protesting members of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) at the Ministry of Education, Federal Secretariat, Abuja . The policemen manhandled a camera man working for the African Independent Television (AIT), and smashed his camera. NANS President, Mr Tijani Shehu, and no fewer than five other students, were arrested.

The students had gathered at the entrance of the ministry, protesting the recent sack of vice-chancellors of 13 Federal Universities. The students carried placards with inscriptions: “ASUU Break the Silence Against this Injustice’’, “Sack of VCs, an Attempt to Cripple our Citadels’’, “Say No to Injustice’’, among others. They argued that the Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, erred in the appointment of new vice-chancellors, which they said was a usurpation of the duties of universities governing councils.

“On February 12, 2016, the Federal Government, without due recourse to the governing councils of 12 Federal Universities and the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN), removed their vice-chancellors without any clear statement as to what their offences might have been. “What is the reason for the sacking of the four vice-chancellors of Federal Universities and that of NOUN before the expiration of their tenures?

“We request that the Federal Government, should in the interest of due process, reverse its decision and reinstate the illegally sacked vice-chancellors,’’ Shehu said. The NANS president said that the association duly notified all relevant agencies including the Minister of Education of its protest and wondered why the minister could not come to address them. He accused the Academic Staff Union of Nigerian Students (ASUU) of complicity in the sack of the vice-chancellors as it had been silent on the issue.

However, trouble started brewing when the students smashed the windscreen of a sports utility vehicle with registration number FG 23 A31, belonging the Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs as it drove by. The students chanted angrily, threatening to force their way into the ministry, if Adamu did not come out and address them. All entreaties by the policemen for the students to retreat, were resisted, resulting in the firing of tear gas at them.

At this point, journalists, bystanders and the protesting students scampered for safety while the policemen made arrests. Adamu recently announced the appointment of new vice-chancellors for 12 Federal Universities and NOUN. When contacted for comments on the development, the Public Relations Officer, FCT Police Command, said he had yet to be briefed on the issue.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/protest-over-vcs-sack-police-tear-gas-nans/

Are will still in MILITARY regime were police & army kill student and arrest them without any proof.Nigeria is still in the STONE AGE .FGN just sit down in their chambers and decide without looking into the regulatory act .what do u expect the student to do .
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by ronaldbecky(m): 10:59am On Feb 19, 2016
evansjeff:
what's their business with appointment of VCS, i know what I'm saying, I was an sug member, they are only acting on instructions from the sacked VCS for financial gains. Go fight for Nigerian students.
see mumu...na u appoint am.
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by ronaldbecky(m): 11:00am On Feb 19, 2016
adioolayi:

It's better you rather keep shut in discussions beyond your scope...It's glaring you know nothing about how decisions are made in Nigeria's Institutions.. oponu

http://www.informationng.com/2012/05/varsity-exercises-autonomy-picks-vc.html
lolz..see what a *PAIN* has cause
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by bcashy: 3:20pm On Feb 19, 2016
nicolosam:

lets meet again at the polls come 2019 God,s grace is all i have to tell u.............
Re: Protest Over Vcs Sack: Police Tear Gas NANS by Spanner4(m): 5:35pm On Feb 19, 2016
samento:
If you hear corruption jump and embrace it. ISIEWU.

I na akpo m IsiEwu, nosgbu adighi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Hits Back At Niger; Accuses Coalition Soldiers Of Looting, Helping BH / FG Orders Bayelsa CJ To Swear Wike In May 29 / Ex-ministers Of Defence, Army Chiefs Jittery As COAS Sets Up New Probe Panel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.