Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,184 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

DDR Dogs ? What Is This ? Another New Breed ? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / DDR Dogs ? What Is This ? Another New Breed ? (4405 Views)

Picture Gallery Of My Pack - Rottweilers And DDR German Shepherds / Meet Some Of My Gsds (DDR Bloodlines) / Meet Robby My DDR German Shepherd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DDR Dogs ? What Is This ? Another New Breed ? by Mckandre(m): 11:39pm On Feb 19, 2016
This epistle is pretty long but it worth's the heck for those who really wish to know more about this ever emphasized DDR, many questions are being thrown concerning what this breed really are,no hassle guys here are the few i can gather.
The popularity of the German Shepherd Dog (GSD) has been growing in numbers since their origin by founder Rittmeister Max von Stephanitz. Little did anyone know what an impact both World Wars would impart on the German Shepherd breed. The German Shepherd was much sought after by the military for their profound working abilities, loyalty , trainability, and their dedication to their owners or handlers. One of the greatest impacts to astound the working dog world and the German Shepherd breed was the onset of the Cold War.

Before the onset of the Cold War, Germany was one nation. Great Britain, France, The Soviet Union, and the USA were allies during World War II. As World War II was coming to an end, all 4 Allies occupied Berlin. At the end of World War II, the city was split into 4 sectors.A large dispute arose over the boundaries. Thus began the Cold War with the Soviet Union closing borders; hence the two nations for Germany were formed, West Germany and East Germany ( Deutsches Demokratische Republik the DDR ).

Many of us remember what communist controlled countries were like. They were not allowed free trade or contact with the outside world and were dominated by their government over decisions most of us take for granted everyday. So was it also for the breeding kennels in East Germany. With the border and Berlin Wall up, closed breeding within the DDR kennels kept the dogs at their standards without outside influence.
Germany now divided became a satellite state of the communist regime on October 7th, 1949, East Germany is now officially the Deutsches Demokratische Republik - DDR. It didn’t take long for “The Partei” to quickly confiscate and gain control of the German Shepherd pedigree registration and financial administration offices. With the government’s hand and control over breeding and registration, strong criteria and tests were set forth as many of the dogs would be used for their military purposes.

Consequently only the best of the best would be suitable for their new duties. Strong bones were needed for the great distances of walking they would endure, exposure to the most ruthless of harsh elements also played a part in the development of structure. Thus they were very athletic with straight lines and a large intimidating look with large heads, broad shoulders and large chests. Other breeding criteria that differed from West Germany was the DDR dogs could only be bred if they were completely free of HD. Dogs that had “fast normal hips or lesser could not be bred. Dam’s had to appear with her whole litter for an inspection of teeth, ear set, temperament, coat, total overall appearance and males naturally had to have both testicles descended by I year of age.

Unlike West Germany, dogs that had “fast normal hips or worse could not be bred. Dam’s had to appear with her whole litter for an inspection of teeth, ear set, temperament, coat, total overall appearance. The testing criteria of the East was also much more rigid than that of the West Germans. They were bred for strong bones to handle the great distances they would be expected to patrol. They were constantly exposed to the harshest weather conditions to build stamina, a genetic resistance to disease, and ability to function in the worst of weather conditions.

The dogs had be able to scale a straight wall (instead of an incline wall), walk balance beams, search more blinds, track longer and farther - the test were stricter and more physically demanding. Only the best of the best would be able to reproduce.

The breeding criteria as well as the harshness of their environment shaped the look of the East German DDR Shepherd into one of pure intimidation. They had large heads, broad shoulders, deep chests and dark coats. They were truly an fearsome looking Shepherd -- the DDR Shepherd was a sight to behold.

The East German national breeding program, as ruthless as it was at times, succeeded. The DDR GSD ultimately exhibited a distinctive look that became different from the traditional GSD. Just as Nazi Germany had strived to create a “Super Race” with their ideology, so had East Germany strived to accomplish this with their national dog.

http://ddrlegends.com/nobleheritage.html

3 Likes

Re: DDR Dogs ? What Is This ? Another New Breed ? by olisafincy(m): 12:35am On Feb 20, 2016
I'm a big fan of this breed and I'm waiting to get one.
Re: DDR Dogs ? What Is This ? Another New Breed ? by Mckandre(m): 6:43am On Feb 20, 2016
olisafincy:
I'm a big fan of this breed and I'm waiting to get one.
so are we but it doesn't come cheap, u hardly see a genuine one being sent to africa. for the breed to leave their country na war

1 Like

Re: DDR Dogs ? What Is This ? Another New Breed ? by menkano(m): 6:19pm On Mar 10, 2017
It feels good seeing people talk about DDR/East GSD. They can become a weapon in a wrong hand,

1 Like

Re: DDR Dogs ? What Is This ? Another New Breed ? by menkano(m): 11:31pm On Aug 08, 2017
I am happy to say that am happy that I bred DDR in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: DDR Dogs ? What Is This ? Another New Breed ? by olisafincy(m): 10:55pm On Aug 10, 2017
Mckandre:
so are we but it doesn't come cheap, u hardly see a genuine one being sent to africa. for the breed to leave their country na war
Finally got one last year after a long wait, I'm no more a fan but I'm a owner of DDR.

Re: DDR Dogs ? What Is This ? Another New Breed ? by olisafincy(m): 10:56pm On Aug 10, 2017
DDR

Re: DDR Dogs ? What Is This ? Another New Breed ? by olisafincy(m): 10:58pm On Aug 10, 2017
I'm grateful @menkano

Re: DDR Dogs ? What Is This ? Another New Breed ? by Mckandre(m): 1:18am On Aug 11, 2017
olisafincy:

Finally got one last year after a long wait, I'm no more a fan but I'm a owner of DDR.
nice, good for u. Ama get one too, prays the pup comes from robbys parents. grin
Re: DDR Dogs ? What Is This ? Another New Breed ? by walemoney007(m): 5:03pm On Aug 11, 2017
olisafincy:
I'm grateful @menkano
how much did you get it

1 Like

Re: DDR Dogs ? What Is This ? Another New Breed ? by olisafincy(m): 3:31pm On Aug 13, 2017
walemoney007:
how much did you get it
contact me on 09094149265 8 puppies are available at household kennel, you will love them all.
Re: DDR Dogs ? What Is This ? Another New Breed ? by olisafincy(m): 3:34pm On Aug 13, 2017
walemoney007:
how much did you get it
09094149265 contact me.

(1) (Reply)

Scam Alert / Arrival Of My Female Doberman / Adult Female Rottweiler For Sale At Very Cheap Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.