Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,147 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:35 AM

From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move (38331 Views)

Reason Why Tax Kills My Business In Nigeria See Solutions To Apply / "2 Years Ago I Started My Business With N30K But Now.."Nigerian Man Reveals.PICS / Anthony Enukem Tonimas: Champion Of Think Home Philosophy In Igbo Land-photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Chuksemi(m): 7:44pm On May 01, 2016
This is inspiring. Very inspiring. How did you summon this courage? It is quite rare to find someone who actually believes in dignity of labour. Ride on..........

3 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Nobody: 11:34am On May 02, 2016
——
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 8:41am On May 07, 2016
Good morning everyone, I have good news.

Our thread has almost reached 10,000 views without front page. That no be the good news o! Lol.

My uncle (my real uncle. Lol), based in the US, sent me N10,000 (ten thousand naira) earlier this week. I did something for him and he sent it to reward me. Uncle thank you for thanking me with cash. Lol.

So I called the carpenter who did my Agbani roofing to come to my village yesterday. He came and we calculated the cost of roofing the village container. The zinc, wood, nails and workmanship totalled N21,850. I gave him N20,000.

He bought the materials and came to my Agbani shop to collect N1,500 (one thousand five hundred naira) for transporting it down to my village.

I'm waiting for him to come and start work this morning. I'll upload pictures as soon as we're done.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by honeychild(f): 2:50pm On May 07, 2016
This is one of the best threads I have ever read on Nairaland. I have been on Nairaland since 2012 I think. You're the first Nairalander I am following.

PS
I think you should try your hand at writing.

9 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by bros12345: 9:26pm On May 07, 2016
I took time to read every word on this thread. Nna.jisie Ike.
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 8:17am On May 08, 2016
The carpenter finished the work around 2pm yesterday. I was at my Agbani shop and had to call my little cousin who was supervising the work. My little cousin said he did a nice job.

About thirty minutes later, the carpenter came to meet me at Agbani to collect his remaining payment (N2,000). I pleaded with him to wait till Monday. He pleaded with me to give him the little I had. So I gave him N1,000. That means I've spent N22,500 on this roofing so far. Plus the N1,000 I'm still owing him. Making it N23,500 in total. Nawa o!

I was so broke yesterday, that I had to choose between buying a carton of noodles and a painter of beans. Of course, I chose my beloved beans (N750). Then bought ginger (N100) and garlic (N100) from my dear ugu Mama.

When my cousin and I got home around 7pm, it was already too dark to take pictures of the roofed village container. I was satisfied with the carpenter's job until my little cousin explained that the carpenter ran out of zinc sheets and had to use a few old zinc sheets to complete the roofing. He took me back to the container to show it to me.

My little cousin was the one who went to source for the old zinc sheets. He was the man of the match yesterday. Lol. I think the little man deserves a second chance. He did well.

Though I'm still contemplating if I should be patient till August (so as to raise more money to complete the wiring and inside shelves) or if I should rent it out.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 10:41pm On May 08, 2016
You people, come and see what I just killed inside my house o! A small scorpion! And a small mouse (or is that a baby squirrel?) with a furry tail.

I saw something on the sitting-room wall. I was about to dismiss it as the usual harmless wall-gecko. Thank God I flashed my rechargeable lamp and saw it was a scorpion instead. I got a broom and struck it down. Then I walked around to check if I'll find another one. That's when I saw this small mouse crawling on the wall of the passage. I struck it down too.

This house feels like National Geographic Channel this night. I hope the brothers and sisters of these animals I killed won't come for vengeance while I'm sleeping. Lol. God forbid!

I'll take necessary precaution tomorrow. I'll make sure I sprinkle Sniper all over this house in the morning before I leave for Agbani. I'll also buy aki-inu (bitter kola?) and throw it around the house to repel snakes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by obynwanyioma(f): 8:22am On May 09, 2016
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Nobody: 7:54pm On May 09, 2016
I will visit you one of this days in Agbani
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 5:49pm On May 13, 2016
The security people came to my shop with their demand notice this afternoon. I come remember all the owe wey I still dey owe. Lol.

Enugu State business premises N2,000
(paid 4/4/2016)

Nkanu West LGA business permit N1,500
(payment pending)

ESWAMA sanitation N2,500
(payment pending)

Security N1,800
(payment pending)

Wahala dey o! I've paid only one out of four so far. I wasn't around when ESWAMA came with their demand notice that's why they wrote the former owner and occupant's name instead.

I hear the authorities (state, local, ESWAMA and security) will start storming each shop from August to separate the sheep who've paid their fees from the stubborn goats who've refused to pay. Lol.

God help us to give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to give to business what belongs to business. Surviving in this N145 per litre regime no easy at all. Sighs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 5:00pm On May 20, 2016
I regret to announce that my village container is now up for sale.

I've decided to sell it after what happened yesterday. As soon as I got home from Agbani, my little cousin approached me. He said that Aunty (one of the members of the family that gave me the space to site my container) gave him an ultimatum on the container. I thanked him for giving me the unbelievable breaking news.

I bathed, warmed the beans I'd cooked in the morning, downloaded it with garri as usual and then walked to the Aunty's compound to confirm what my little cousin told me.

Me: Aunty good evening o!

Aunty: Ehen, I'm giving you two months to start your business or else I'll remove your container and give the space to another person.

Me: Aunty why are you talking like this?

Aunty: I've told you o! Two months!!

Me: Aunty wait let me explain something to you. The money I'm using to do business is money I borrowed from my friend. My father didn't give me one kobo. When I started, the economy was not yet this bad. Now, I'm struggling to run my Agbani business and this one here. The business I want to do here needs light. Our village-NEPA said I must pay N10,000 before I connect light to the container. Even my cousin that I wanted to help me manage the business is sick.

Aunty: (acting concerned) What is even wrong with him?

Me: Diabetes.

Aunty: What I'm saying is, people are interested in renting that space. Even the woman behind you there paid me N20,000 for her space. In fact, next year I'll tell her to leave or pay me N30,000 if she wants to continue there.

Me: Ah ah Aunty! How can you compare me to that madam? Her space is much bigger than mine. Besides, I just roofed my container few weeks ago. If I wasn't interested in doing business there, will I roof it? Remember that it's when I brought my container there that all these people suddenly knew that that place is a nice site for business o!

Aunty: No! Our original plan was to build shops there.

Me: Hmmm...

Aunty: Next year, we might tell everybody there to leave so we can build shops.

At this point, I quickly thanked her, ended the talk and went home. I felt so angry. I knew she was indirectly trying to tell me that I'm going to pay rent next year. I instantly regretted accepting their rent-free gift. I regretted not insisting on paying this year's rent when I still had the money. The worst part of it is that when I gave my little cousin an update of my discussion with her, he told me how she'd confronted him PUBLICLY complaining that afterall we're not paying her for the space. How can my so-called extended family member treat me like a stranger? I made up my mind to sell the container to avoid any future wahala.

I've made calls this morning and put word out that the container is for sale. I hope to sell it for at least N90,000 (ninety thousand naira) or N110,000 (one hundred and ten thousand naira) at best. The buyer can then approach the Aunty to discuss the rent he'll pay her.

I'm sure my father will say "I told you so" if he hears the story. On Monday, he advised me to sell it. His reasons were:
1) For me to avoid quarrelling with our village people when they start owing me debts.
2) That as a business-starter, it won't be easy for me to handle two shops at the same time.

By the way, did I tell you people that I sold a record-breaking TEN ITEMS on the 17th? I didn't make much profit from them but I was so happy that most of the items were old stock. Lol. That 17th was the same day that my father came to my shop for the first time. Is it a coincidence or what? He briefly prayed for God to bless my business and for God to give me more connections through the shop.

Me: AMEN!!! Thank you sir.

10 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by whirlwind7(m): 8:29am On May 21, 2016
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Nice of you to finally update us. Been wondering if things are going ok.

Such is the challenge one faces when money gets involved in an otherwise familial setting.
Yeah, I think you now have a good reason to sell off the container. You are bound to have issues with your aunt if you maintain that space.
She'd view you as "enemy to her financial progress" of getting at least 20k from renting out that space. So, move on. There are always opportunities elsewhere.

3 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by aghaibiam(f): 5:34pm On May 24, 2016
Your thread is so lovely and enchanting. Its an inspiration for so many.Your days of humble beginnings will soon be over. How are your vegetables doing?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 3:21pm On May 25, 2016
aghaibiam:
Your thread is so lovely and enchanting. Its an inspiration for so many.Your days of humble beginnings will soon be over. How are your vegetables doing?

Thank you.
I hope so.
AMEN!!!

As for my vegetables, the curry, water-leaf and egusi are doing well. The ugu is excellent. The green is still under attack. I had to buy an insect powder N100 (one hundred naira) yesterday. I applied it on the farm this morning after weeding. I hope it works because the rains seem to have long washed off the dongoyaro.

As you can see from the pictures, the egusi, cucumber and corn are beginning to fruit. Thank God. Though my cousin's mother has warned me that monkeys will attack the corns.

This is actually a good time for me to take advantage of the tomato scarcity and plant tomatoes o! Lol. But I'm afraid of doing it and inviting that wicked tuta absoluta tomato-pest to my farm.

2 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by ehinome4hushM(f): 12:18am On May 28, 2016
Nice one dearly beloved. Pls can you help a sister find out the cost of palm oil in Enugu,I need some supplies here in Lagos. Thanks

1 Like

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 7:47am On May 29, 2016
ehinome4hushM:
Nice one dearly beloved. Pls can you help a sister find out the cost of palm oil in Enugu,I need some supplies here in Lagos. Thanks

A 20litres gallon of palm oil costs from N5,500 to N6,000 at Agbani at the moment. It used to be about N4,500 before Buhari's change changed everything. Lol.

1 Like

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Nobody: 9:14am On May 29, 2016
JohnNgene:
You people, come and see what I just killed inside my house o! A small scorpion! And a small mouse (or is that a baby squirrel?) with a furry tail.

I saw something on the sitting-room wall. I was about to dismiss it as the usual harmless wall-gecko. Thank God I flashed my rechargeable lamp and saw it was a scorpion instead. I got a broom and struck it down. Then I walked around to check if I'll find another one. That's when I saw this small mouse crawling on the wall of the passage. I struck it down too.

This house feels like National Geographic Channel this night. I hope the brothers and sisters of these animals I killed won't come for vengeance while I'm sleeping. Lol. God forbid!

I'll take necessary precaution tomorrow. I'll make sure I sprinkle Sniper all over this house in the morning before I leave for Agbani. I'll also buy aki-inu (bitter kola?) and throw it around the house to repel snakes.

LMAO, the rodent with furry tail is what we call nchichi in igbo language, ur dairy is every bit inspiring, is it just me or does anyone else think Nigerian youths are so gifted in writing, we might actually be the best in the world?

1 Like

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Nobody: 9:30am On May 29, 2016
JohnNgene:
I regret to announce that my village container is now up for sale.

I've decided to sell it after what happened yesterday. As soon as I got home from Agbani, my little cousin approached me. He said that Aunty (one of the members of the family that gave me the space to site my container) gave him an ultimatum on the container. I thanked him for giving me the unbelievable breaking news.

I bathed, warmed the beans I'd cooked in the morning, downloaded it with garri as usual and then walked to the Aunty's compound to confirm what my little cousin told me.

Me: Aunty good evening o!

Aunty: Ehen, I'm giving you two months to start your business or else I'll remove your container and give the space to another person.

Me: Aunty why are you talking like this?

Aunty: I've told you o! Two months!!

Me: Aunty wait let me explain something to you. The money I'm using to do business is money I borrowed from my friend. My father didn't give me one kobo. When I started, the economy was not yet this bad. Now, I'm struggling to run my Agbani business and this one here. The business I want to do here needs light. Our village-NEPA said I must pay N10,000 before I connect light to the container. Even my cousin that I wanted to help me manage the business is sick.

Aunty: (acting concerned) What is even wrong with him?

Me: Diabetes.

Aunty: What I'm saying is, people are interested in renting that space. Even the woman behind you there paid me N20,000 for her space. In fact, next year I'll tell her to leave or pay me N30,000 if she wants to continue there.

Me: Ah ah Aunty! How can you compare me to that madam? Her space is much bigger than mine. Besides, I just roofed my container few weeks ago. If I wasn't interested in doing business there, will I roof it? Remember that it's when I brought my container there that all these people suddenly knew that that place is a nice site for business o!

Aunty: No! Our original plan was to build shops there.

Me: Hmmm...

Aunty: Next year, we might tell everybody there to leave so we can build shops.

At this point, I quickly thanked her, ended the talk and went home. I felt so angry. I knew she was indirectly trying to tell me that I'm going to pay rent next year. I instantly regretted accepting their rent-free gift. I regretted not insisting on paying this year's rent when I still had the money. The worst part of it is that when I gave my little cousin an update of my discussion with her, he told me how she'd confronted him PUBLICLY complaining that afterall we're not paying her for the space. How can my so-called extended family member treat me like a stranger? I made up my mind to sell the container to avoid any future wahala.

I've made calls this morning and put word out that the container is for sale. I hope to sell it for at least N90,000 (ninety thousand naira) or N110,000 (one hundred and ten thousand naira) at best. The buyer can then approach the Aunty to discuss the rent he'll pay her.

I'm sure my father will say "I told you so" if he hears the story. On Monday, he advised me to sell it. His reasons were:
1) For me to avoid quarrelling with our village people when they start owing me debts.
2) That as a business-starter, it won't be easy for me to handle two shops at the same time.

By the way, did I tell you people that I sold a record-breaking TEN ITEMS on the 17th? I didn't make much profit from them but I was so happy that most of the items were old stock. Lol. That 17th was the same day that my father came to my shop for the first time. Is it a coincidence or what? He briefly prayed for God to bless my business and for God to give me more connections through the shop.

Me: AMEN!!! Thank you sir.

Nwanne m, humans can be that way atimes, and trust me that wouldn't be the last time you'd encounter this kind of thing in ur hustling life. If I may suggest, how about you focus on only farming in the village and centre your sales business around agbani? Ur dad was right, you can't run two sales business in two separate locations at the same time and succeed in both, especially as a new starter. Our people would say "i chuwa nchi abuo i chie aka n'ala" grin

1 Like

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by igweross(m): 12:29am On May 31, 2016
JohnNgene:
I travelled to my village at the end of December after Christmas to minimize spending on beer, outings and other flexing. Can't play with my capital abeg. Lol.

Here are some of the things I counted as assets or advantages or encouraging factors of establishing my business in my village.
1) I had N300,000 capital in my account to do business. God win! Lol
2) My father has a big house that's mostly empty from January to December.
3) My cousin had already moved to the village from Lagos few years ago is doing well.
4) There now light in my village and a borehole sited near our house.
5) We have some lands for farming. Cassava and palm fruits are the main crops grown in my village.
6) I'll add more if I remember. Lol
Is it possible to get 3 truck full load of palm kernel on a daily basis... I have a proposal to that effect
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by kentochi(m): 8:54am On May 31, 2016
igweross:

Is it possible to get 3 truck full load of palm kernel on a daily basis... I have a proposal to that effect
yes but not in one market day
Note this my mum's business before we lost her last 3 months ago
Her oil cans just dey one side.
Mummy good night I still miss you.
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by igweross(m): 5:28am On Jun 01, 2016
kentochi:
yes but not in one market day
Note this my mum's business before we lost her last 3 months ago
Her oil cans just dey one side.
Mummy good night I still miss you.
So sorry for your loss.. I wish you grace and strength.

So, how can we make it happen. Can I get your number, talk on whatsapp?
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by kentochi(m): 6:30am On Jun 01, 2016
igweross:

So sorry for your loss.. I wish you grace and strength.

So, how can we make it happen. Can I get your number, talk on whatsapp?
Add me on whatsapp 08065141344
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by tunebob(m): 7:31am On Jun 01, 2016
follow the link below and get into a new world by learning how paint is made http:// drtune.wix.com/paintworld
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 3:26pm On Jun 03, 2016
Happy new month everyone. Is it just me or did May end too quickly? Nawa o!

This week has been my worst week since I started this my journey. I made a bad financial move last week. Usually, I make sure I have at least N5,000 (five thousand naira) savings to fall back on in case of no sales. But last week, I bought goods with my last penny. Not knowing that I would be so broke this week. I haven't sold even one item. Sighs. I hope things change (not APC's type of change o! Lol) today or tomorrow.

Talking about change, I finally brought my dvds, electricals and phone accessories to my Agbani shop. I displayed them in the showcase yesterday. I'll soon paste the Nollywood posters.

Guess what else happened yesterday. My cousin's cage trap caught this ENWE (MONKEY). I wanted to take a picture of it in the cage but it was too dark. When I rushed out this morning to take the picture, they said it had died this early morning. My cousin immediately roasted it and we downloaded it into our stomachs. Lol. Monkey meat actually tastes good o! Though it has more bone than meat. I know the people of Awka won't be happy that I'm talking about eating their sacred animal. Sorry o! Lol.

2 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by vickychuk(m): 10:31pm On Jun 05, 2016
Who needs Keeping up with the Kardashian when we have Keeping up with John Ngene.
Who needs to read Linda Ikeji's blog when we have "Lagos to Igbo land:My business move.
Keep it up bro.
Modified :
Who even needs NatGeo Wild when we see monkeys here. All be it a no longer existent one. cheesy

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by rayblings(m): 2:07am On Jun 06, 2016
JohnNgene:
You will hear people saying "Igbos should leave Lagos and develop the East." Well, I went to Lagos in May 2015 to start a business with my friend. We searched for a shop at our area and beyond. No way. I then decided to move to my village in Igbo land. Thank God my friend agreed to lend me money. So I had N300,000 to begin my business move from Egypt to the promise land. Lol.

did you notice two guys (twins) on abani road. We dey fire our car (honda baby boy) like airplane in 2014.. People knew us especially me with my rough driving...
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by benpedro(m): 4:06am On Jun 08, 2016
rayblings:
did you notice two guys (twins) on abani road. We dey fire our car (honda baby boy) like airplane in 2014.. People knew us especially me with my rough driving...
hia!who be this one kwa?... abeg comot here,nobody knows you especially when the only unique thing about you and your brother was driving like an illiterate and endangering the live of others!

4 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 6:03pm On Jun 08, 2016
Honeychild, thanks. It's an honour to be your first.

IgweRoss, I know a place at Enugu road here (near my shop) where they buy palm kernels from villagers. I used to sell ours to them years back when my paternal grandma was still alive. They're still in the business.

VickyChuk, you're too funny. No be small Keeping Up With John. Lol.

Rayblings, I think you're talking about Agbani road that's at Gariki or Enugu town. I'm at Enugu road at Agbani. Hope you're no longer a fast and furious driver so that you won't end up like Paul Walker o! Lol.

2 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by igweross(m): 9:46pm On Jun 08, 2016
JohnNgene:

IgweRoss, I know a place at Enugu road here (near my shop) where they buy palm kernels from villagers. I used to sell ours to them years back when my paternal grandma was still alive. They're still in the business.

Rayblings, I think you're talking about Agbani road that's at Gariki or Enugu town. I'm at Enugu road at Agbani. Hope you're no longer a fast and furious driver so that you won't end up like Paul Walker o! Lol.
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by igweross(m): 9:46pm On Jun 08, 2016
JohnNgene:

I will msg u on whatsapp

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Which Bank Mobile App Has The Best User Interface In Nigeria? / Meet Yusuf Sambo, The Nigerian Engineer Leading Scotland’s 5G Revolution / Why Online Forex Trading Is A Fraud. My Findings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.