Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,951 members, 7,835,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? (15833 Views)

Can One Get A Government Job Without Connection? / What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? / 4 Lessons I Learned From Quitting My Job With No Back-up Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by F22RAPTOR(m): 7:05pm On Feb 21, 2016
YES YES
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by Scholarforever: 7:10pm On Feb 21, 2016
blackprowler:

You think back-up plans are foolproof? Yea, I quit my well-paid job, my back-up plan crashed and I don't have money now. No, I don't regret quitting my job as I had many many years to think about it. In Nigeria I know your logic is to regret an action if your subsequent hopes don't pan out. That's wrong. They don't have to be linked necessarily. I'm a much much better person and know a lot more today than I would if I stayed on the job. What just remains is that spark of opportunity and all the equipping I've been doing on myself will bear fruits - and it will come. I do not go after the money as most Nigerians; I go after my personal happiness and contentment. Some jobs force you to live a lie, and I'm just not that kind of person
I can't agree with u more. In fact my experience is similar to yours and I am not regretting my decision in any way. One thing is certain, before d end of this year I will become an entrepreneur. Nothing good comes easy.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by missKiffy(f): 7:14pm On Feb 21, 2016
allanphash7:
I just took the decision without confiding in anyone when i realised that have been working in one stupid prominent organization on this country where iwas placed on the same salary scale for over 7yrs have worked , no promotion no increament, task is increasing and the renumeration is not .

So i decided to take my leave volountrily
Aiit, how soon were you able to get another place
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by missKiffy(f): 7:15pm On Feb 21, 2016
vivalavida:

I once did that dearie. And i spent one full year @ home. Maybe God was trying to teach me something. Exactly a year and two weeks later,i resumed somewhere else and two weeks after i got another offer and left the other place. So babe,biko plan well oo
A whole year shocked that's a lot mehn
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by LionInZion: 7:16pm On Feb 21, 2016
Some years ago, my very stressful job was seriously affecting my health, so I quit without any plan b. I knew it would be tough and surely it was, couldnt pay my school fees, house rent, had to quit my degree part time programme, lived with my sister for several months, tried to get another better job to no avail. I later decided to learn a trade. Today I am an aluminium fabricator, living on my own, my job hasnt blown to its peak yet but it puts food on my table, about to go back to school soonest. Moreso, I decide how I spend my time and energy. But my question is are you still single or have someone who can cater for your basic needs? If no, it may be extremely difficult. quote from Robert Kiyosaki "Sometimes to start afresh, you just have to quit." Lastly, SOME JOBS ARE SO BAD THAT THE ONLY THING THEY OFFER IS MONEY AND IN TURN TAKE AWAY YOUR HAPPINESS.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by missKiffy(f): 7:16pm On Feb 21, 2016
smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by Princedapace(m): 7:20pm On Feb 21, 2016
missKiffy:
Like I mentioned in a thread I created yesterday that am thinking of quitting my job, but I don't really have a back up plan, so have you ever quit your job without having a back up plan, and how did it work out for you, did u regret your actions and how long did it take for you to get another job.

Hi dear
I perfectly understand u. I'm also in same scene. Will be quitting my job in two months time. I currently don't have any back up plan but have some skills. We could still hook up dear. It is not easy bearing frustrating job. I perfectly understand. Take the move if it is what u need to do. Nothing good comes easy. All is well my dear.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by Olaphysics(m): 7:21pm On Feb 21, 2016
Yes I've quit my job without having a backup, I did that last year and I've gotten a JOB again, infact its even in a nairalander organization cc @ ajayi1
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by klassic(m): 7:21pm On Feb 21, 2016
My advice, are you sellable, do you have the experience people will kill for? Do you think you are guts ready? If yes, quit your job. You will survive eventually look back and be happy u did. But I MA tell u the gospel truth, it's gonna hurt, you are gonna regret it a thousand times, people, friends and folks are gonna judge u. You will be broke. But another truth is all these will build you. And make u a better person you will look back to and be proud.
If still in doubt, ask seun, how many people talk him outta the nairaland ideal, called it crap, shit bag and the likes. But today we are all here. Go for the story if you must enjoy the glory. If you don't give it try u will never know.
FYI: If you are not guts sure about this, you better not do it. Especially if you are doing it cos others are doing it. Think, plan and pray over it. If your instincts is still sure about it, then listen to no one and do it. It's your life baby write your story the way you want it not the way others want it. It's your story, your Glory, we are just some fucking spectators.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by Candybob(m): 7:22pm On Feb 21, 2016
Almost everytime, like 4 times so far!

It is not easy at all! I wont advise you to do the same.
As for myself, I dont discriminate against taking any job especially when I am dead broke... I can do anything! But to stay on a job, I need to see the possibility of making a career out of whatever I am doing.
But unfortunately, most of my engagements held no career prospect, and if the employer insist on making me feel miserable... I just wait for my pay, pack my bag and stay off!

I usually end up back to broke town in approximately two month! Terrible times.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by ofegge73(m): 7:25pm On Feb 21, 2016
Yeah, I did that four years ago, I didnt have any back up plan except to succeed at starting up a private business, but today I have counted millions doing my own business, and very comfortable. Sometimes, it pays to listen to your inner self.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by vivalavida(m): 7:35pm On Feb 21, 2016
missKiffy:

A whole year shocked that's a lot mehn

Different strokes for different folks
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by maikilinkage: 7:41pm On Feb 21, 2016
What keeps a lot of people in thier present job is fear of the unknown, you can survive anywhere if you believe in yourself. I resigned from one of the commercial banks to join the business class, i tell you NO REGRET. I dont intend working for any private owned parastatal again except govt. There are businesses for all class of persons who are determined to succeed in life. Watsapp for lucrative business opportunities (07038215121).

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by pretts(f): 8:11pm On Feb 21, 2016
You just took the words right out of my mouth! Btw, I have quit my job twice without a backup plan & both times, I didn't even seek anyone's advice even at home as I was certain they'd convince me otherwise. If I'm not getting fulfilled at what I do, there's no use keeping at it as it seems more like a waste of time.

And both times I started something on my own to generate some income, that way, I wasn't desperate to accept any offer that came my way and as such didn't fall into the trap of another frustrating job.
blackprowler:

You think back-up plans are foolproof? Yea, I quit my well-paid job, my back-up plan crashed and I don't have money now. No, I don't regret quitting my job as I had many many years to think about it. In Nigeria I know your logic is to regret an action if your subsequent hopes don't pan out. That's wrong. They don't have to be linked necessarily. I'm a much much better person and know a lot more today than I would if I stayed on the job. What just remains is that spark of opportunity and all the equipping I've been doing on myself will bear fruits - and it will come. I do not go after the money as most Nigerians; I go after my personal happiness and contentment. Some jobs force you to live a lie, and I'm just not that kind of person

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by kokomilala(m): 8:53pm On Feb 21, 2016
I have several times without a back up, or another job waiting.But I've always been fortunate.I get another soonest, maybe within 8 weeks.You know what? Get another before you quit this one.
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by seun289(m): 8:56pm On Feb 21, 2016
ikubch:

The market is on the downside now except for some of us who have made lifelong customers. For those coming in. It will require an expertise coupled with patience. I can be your consultant for a token and teach you how to come in. It is wonderful.

Aight..let's chat on
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by 6fit(f): 8:57pm On Feb 21, 2016
LaurelP:

Same way some people have waited for months after quitting their job.
It all boils down to the level of responsibility one has. A person that is responsible for taking care of others needs cannot just quit his job like that.

There are bad bosses everywhere, u cant keep running away from them even when u don't know where u are running to. If she's not yet experienced, then she should stay and gain more experience. That will facilitate her ability to get a new and better job if she's lucky.
The easiest time to get a job is when u are in a job.

hey, i disagree with yur last statement....d best time to get a job is when u jobless..when u having a job and seeking for another, u dont have d much time for interviews, test and training. U wont usually put in yur best during d test and interview cos u hav a junk job@hand.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by ikubch(m): 8:59pm On Feb 21, 2016
seun289:

Aight..let's chat on whatsapp-07062212264
You check me on 08172170560
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by allanphash7(m): 9:07pm On Feb 21, 2016
Thanks to the flare i have for agriculture

So i start farming and rearing cows after some months

Now , i'm now a farmer

Agbe l'oba
missKiffy:

Aiit, how soon were you able to get another place

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by fromnigeria(m): 9:42pm On Feb 21, 2016
missKiffy:
Like I mentioned in a thread I created yesterday that am thinking of quitting my job, but I don't really have a back up plan, so have you ever quit your job without having a back up plan, and how did it work out for you, did u regret your actions and how long did it take for you to get another job.
Once more i say, don't call it a quit yet, till you have been able to make a plan.
Moreso, till she says 'GO'
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by missKiffy(f): 9:46pm On Feb 21, 2016
Lanretoye:
it's really a difficult one..., i did too but im getting over it,even without another job.
Hopefully another one will come soonest
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by badlaw(f): 10:08pm On Feb 21, 2016
Have done it b4, it is a difficult situation to stay in any nigeria city without a job, though freedom is more important than working as a salve, for real u can start up ur own thing few month after u quit and u will be happy u do. Bet me am doing greatly ok, I mean greatly ok now after two yrs of dat decision. got a wife now,got two cars, got good apartment. All thanks to God

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by wwwkaycom(m): 10:47pm On Feb 21, 2016
I have done it three times in the past. In 1997, I worked in a marketing company in Ibadan, the owner of the company is a perfect gentleman with a very rude and arrogant wife. The wife though not a staff of the company often comes around to insult members of staff, one day she came around and insulted me for not making target, she called me a "bone head", I tongue lashed the woman and resigned from the company without any plan for another, I secured a better job 21 days later.
I also worked for an abusive lawyer in Alagomeji, Yaba sometimes in the late 90s, very complicated human being, one day I carried out his instruction and it backfired, he blamed it on me and called me an unfortunate being, I told him to his face that he isn't God, he said I should submit my resignation letter immediately, I told him he didn't give me an appointment letter so he shouldn't expect any resignation letter, I walked out on him and lost my two months salaries, I raised money from a friend and started selling kerosene in tanks after wandering around for jobs for 1 month, I met him two years later at RCCG camp, I learnt he had become a pastor then, I greeted him and he apologized to me for the way he treated me, he gave me a cheque of N50000 which was more than the 2 months salary he refused to pay me.
I also resigned my job as Production Manager in a food processing company because my GM as the younger sister of the chairperson of the company was just mismanaging the company's money while she forces me to alter production figures everyday, instead of reporting her to her elder sister, I resigned my appointment because the devilish GM threatened that she will deal with me diabolically if I ever spill the beans, I got another job four month later, the chairperson heard about all that happened later and fired her sister the GM, she called me to come and take up job again as GM but alas, I've gotten a Federal job by this time.
Its difficult to take this kind of decision but I'll rather face the consequences of resignation than embrace rubbish

7 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by GRACEGLORY: 11:38pm On Feb 21, 2016
missKiffy:

Kiffy, back up plan always work, so that the oiginal plan never work.
That is, plan b always nullify plan a.
What I'm saying is, the fear of plan a failing, always makes b work, while a is the core plan.
You don't need plan b.
Work your A tight and go for it.
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by bomsilaga(m): 11:47pm On Feb 21, 2016
missKiffy:
Everywhere I have ever worked, I quit without a backup plan. Just trust God and make that move. I have not been jobless for over a month after quitting.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by tomayira(f): 12:36am On Feb 22, 2016
Do you have a plan B? Do you want to fire your boss? Do you need financial freedom? Do you need want to drive a brand new Keyless Hyundai Elantra this year? How about being a landlord? Scholarship for 2 of your kids, helping 2 less privileged within your locality? All these can be achieved this year. Join us in helping hands and learn how you can achieve these plus laptops, international trip (all expense paid) and cash incentives. Too good to be true right! I thought so too till I partnered with helping hands. My focus was to touch the lives of the down trodden but my life is taking a new turn because I'm been empowered weekly. Call or whatsapp me on 08037798195
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by EagleScribes: 2:17am On Feb 22, 2016
missKiffy:

Would love to start my own business too, but the ideas just ain't coming yet

I just stumbled on this thread. I have a way out which works so well for me. Funny enough, this is my plan B and it even pays me better than my plan A!

You can do this biz and earn your money at your
convenience and be financially independent with a small capital with other incentives just by talking to others.

This is made possible by Helping Hands International. This stuff is real as I'm a witness. Good enough, you can do this work from your bedroom, traffic, anywhere at your own leisure. It is so straightforward and you don't need an ebook or seminar to achieve this.

I will advice you to act fast and grab this opportunity now.

You may quote or mention me if you're interested so I can explain how it works
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by TruthisOut: 3:34am On Feb 22, 2016
. cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by lily12(f): 6:24am On Feb 22, 2016
ikubch:

I did it. It was difficult but I determined to be "on my own" today I wake up 8am, my office is less than 400metres from my home, take my coffee in the morning while watching cnn without a barking order. Liberty is sweet. Just got myself a BMW 5series with my original sweat. "Don't try this at home"

Took the words out my mouth. Well, minus the BMW (for now). I have done it twice. first time, I ended up getting a much better job 3 weeks later. 2nd time, I pulled an Ikubch. cheesy. Only part of this story happened in Africa and even then it wasn't Naija. But God is the same everywhere. Count the cost. But it's worth it.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by missKiffy(f): 7:13am On Feb 22, 2016
6fit:

hey, i disagree with yur last statement....d best time to get a job is when u jobless..when u having a job and seeking for another, u dont have d much time for interviews, test and training. U wont usually put in yur best during d test and interview cos u hav a junk job@hand.
I agree
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by missKiffy(f): 7:18am On Feb 22, 2016
It's all for the best

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Foundries Limited Test / Landover Aviation Massive Recruitment / Jossy/Mamador Story: Graduates, Share Your Hustle Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.