Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,445 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? (15794 Views)

Can One Get A Government Job Without Connection? / What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter? / 4 Lessons I Learned From Quitting My Job With No Back-up Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by femeritus: 7:37am On Feb 22, 2016
I have done it a couple of times and it always works for me. In fact, That's how it works for me. I always get get a better offer after quitting one and waiting awhile. If one door doesn't close, another may not open. You may also need to close some doors yourself if they refuse to close on their own so others can open for you. Once I get fed up with the workplace rubbish, I quit without looking back and God has never made me regret. One other thing that was in my advantage earlier was the fact that I was single and had no serious responsibilities.

The last job I quit was last July and this time around, I was already married, had a child and the second baby was on the way but having made up my mind I could no longer continue with the demeaning condition there, which was almost affecting my psyche and my sense of dignity and worth, I quit even when everybody felt I should tarry until I was able to get another offer. The woman would raise curses and abuses on me for most things I wasn't even responsible for. The working condition was not only hostile but abnormal and inhuman. I went to work on Saturdays and at least two Sundays in a month. I left the house as early as 5 am and at left the office as late as 10 pm and would get home around 12 am. Upon all the hard work, what I got was insults, curses and abuses so I decided it was time to move on. I quit and a month later I got TWO offers, one with better pay than the former and the second with slightly lower pay but with better conditions of service. I accepted the latter. My new employers respect me and we relate well.

My former employer was shocked when I resigned but was too proud to have a chat with me. Since I left, she has employed THREE different persons for the role I was performing and she is still not satisfied.

Please consider it prayerfully before making the decision. Jobs are not easy to get but if you are hardworking and you know your worth, you can sack any employer at anytime. I am happy I quit and I would do it again if the need arises.

6 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by omoharry(f): 7:51am On Feb 22, 2016
yes i have..and i never regreted it.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by TheAlchemist: 8:41am On Feb 22, 2016
Nicepoker:
have u been verbally abused by a lady in the office before? For me I hate it.

Yes i have, my former boss called me names i dare not type out, did not report her to HR because i know i live in a crappy society! In hindsight wish i had quit the job, but my responsibilities to my siblings was the only reason to persevere on the job.
I have a strong feeling that i would be leaving my well paid job very soon.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by TheAlchemist: 8:44am On Feb 22, 2016
LionInZion:
Some years ago, my very stressful job was seriously affecting my health, so I quit without any plan b. I knew it would be tough and surely it was, couldnt pay my school fees, house rent, had to quit my degree part time programme, lived with my sister for several months, tried to get another better job to no avail. I later decided to learn a trade. Today I am an aluminium fabricator, living on my own, my job hasnt blown to its peak yet but it puts food on my table, about to go back to school soonest. Moreso, I decide how I spend my time and energy. But my question is are you still single or have someone who can cater for your basic needs? If no, it may be extremely difficult. quote from Robert Kiyosaki "Sometimes to start afresh, you just have to quit." Lastly, SOME JOBS ARE SO BAD THAT THE ONLY THING THEY OFFER IS MONEY AND IN TURN TAKE AWAY YOUR HAPPINESS.

thanks for your post

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by ikubch(m): 8:46am On Feb 22, 2016
lily12:

Took the words out my mouth. Well, minus the BMW (for now). I have done it twice. first time, I ended up getting a much better job 3 weeks later. 2nd time, I pulled an Ikubch. cheesy. Only part of this story happened in Africa and even then it wasn't Naija. But God is the same everywhere. Count the cost. But it's worth it.
I get goose pimples when I checked a lady's profile and she is active in Romance section. "Fill me in"
It is not always about the money but the advantage you have in entrepreneurship is that you own all your time. And, you can effectively manage your health whic is very important to me. I studied Biochemistry and I know what stress can do especially when you work in the private sector.
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by indoorlove(m): 8:49am On Feb 22, 2016
Sometimes, The best thing you can do is quitting your job. The world is to large to get yourself trapped under an irresponsible and arrogant boss.
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by LionInZion: 9:05am On Feb 22, 2016
TheAlchemist:

thanks for your post
You are welcome.
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by stuhporh: 9:18am On Feb 22, 2016
I understand the OPs condition because i am in a situation where i need to make similar decision. In truth, it is important to have a plan b, which means when you quit what will you be doing, even if sitting at home is what you want to do, fine, olan how you want to sit at home. ;et me share my siotuation and why i haven't resigned.

2010 I served in a company, which i got the job through my mums relationship with the owner. after service i was paid 60k after tax, I was so goo at my Job that in the year 2012 I and my boss went for a meeting with a popular and international Chinese firm (name withheld). Right after the meeting one of the chinese guy who was a boss asked me right in presence of the GM if i would like to work for them, and they would pay me well. I stupidly kept mute and didnt accept that generous offer, the GM called me a day after and told me they want to review my salary and they moved it up to N100, 000/ month.

I sell cars, help people procure and other small small businesses, inshort, I was living above my salary, I went on my first approved holiday after much fight since 2010 in 2015, and i remember the look on the MD's face when i told her i would be in the USA so i cant come in to the office to help out sometimes, she didn't think i should be able to afford such trip. right now Car business is not moving as usual. I am planning to propose to my girl for marriage, but now I cant. I have decided to leave this year, because if i stay here i obviously cant cater for myself, let alone my madam.

WEIGH UP ALL THE AVAILABLE CHANCES YOU HAVE AND MAKE YOUR DECISION. AS FOR ME AM QUITTING THIS CRAP JOB THAT WANTS TO KILL MY SKILL AND CAREER. I'D RATHER USE THAT SKILL ON MINE AND SUFFER FOR THE RISK.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by allanphash7(m): 10:51am On Feb 22, 2016
I'm now my own boss
missKiffy:

Aiit, how soon were you able to get another place
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by missKiffy(f): 12:39pm On Feb 22, 2016
allanphash7:
I'm now my own boss
Great
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by Kookny(m): 10:16pm On Mar 06, 2016
missKiffy:

Great

Hi!

Did you successfully quit the job?
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by missKiffy(f): 11:37pm On Mar 06, 2016
Kookny:

Hi!

Did you successfully quit the job?
Yea I did, I quit on Tuesday, went for another interview on Friday and got the job, will be called soon to resume. It's just God's favour I believe

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by Kookny(m): 12:08am On Mar 07, 2016
missKiffy:

Yea I did, I quit on Tuesday, went for another interview on Friday and got the job, will be called soon to resume. It's just God's favour I believe

Don't be offended by my inquisitiveness, What's your qualification?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by missKiffy(f): 1:33am On Mar 07, 2016
Kookny:

Don't be offended by my inquisitiveness, What's your qualification?
Why do you ask first of all
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by Sharonose: 9:44pm On Nov 27, 2017
GRACEGLORY:

Kiffy, back up plan always work, so that the oiginal plan never work.
That is, plan b always nullify plan a.
What I'm saying is, the fear of plan a failing, always makes b work, while a is the core plan.
You don't need plan b.
Work your A tight and go for it.
GRACEGLORY:

Kiffy, back up plan always work, so that the oiginal plan never work.
That is, plan b always nullify plan a.
What I'm saying is, the fear of plan a failing, always makes b work, while a is the core plan.
You don't need plan b.
Work your A tight and go for it.
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by Sharonose: 9:45pm On Nov 27, 2017
omoharry:
yes i have..and i never regreted it.
I have
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by Sharonose: 9:49pm On Nov 27, 2017
I quit my job because it was affecting my health..I regretted but I'm still not too well......hv spent all my savings on my Health issues ..thank God I'm recovering...��

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by Sharonose: 9:52pm On Nov 27, 2017
TheAlchemist:

thanks for your post
similar story as mine...
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by Dparagon(m): 11:11pm On Nov 27, 2017
Sharonose:
I quit my job because it was affecting my health..I regretted but I'm still not too well......hv spent all my savings on my Health issues ..thank God I'm recovering...��

Personally, I think your reason for quitting is ok. There are still many people out there who the nature of their job is affecting their health, but the fear of the unknown and some unanswered questions becomes a different thing altogether.
They say 'Health is wealth'

Get well soon and hope you get a better job.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by publicworky: 10:58pm On Mar 19, 2018
missKiffy:
Like I mentioned in a thread I created yesterday that am thinking of quitting my job, but I don't really have a back up plan, so have you ever quit your job without having a back up plan, and how did it work out for you, did u regret your actions and how long did it take for you to get another job.
so how far,
did you quit back then?
pls kindly share your experience
Re: Have You Ever Quit Your Job Without Having A Back Up Plan? by newoffer: 6:52am On Mar 20, 2018
u want to win by sharing in my shit hole experience. A smart man don't make dumb move.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Just Got A Job Through Nairaland / The Day I Got Stranded At Lagos. / Woohoo! N-power Build Training Commences Today. Congratulations To All Trainees.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.