Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,362 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ (13274 Views)

Sokoto Plant To Generate Power At N178/kilowatt (more than 3x Regional Price) / FG, 14 Companies To Build N466,666 Per Kilowatt Solar Power Project / Electricity Firms Push For 100% Tariff Hike Again!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by Topam: 7:05am On Feb 22, 2016
CONSUMER Rights Advancement Organisation (CRADO) has raised the alarm over the recent hike in electricity tariff, lamenting that Nigerians pay the highest tariff per kilowatt in Africa.
A statement signed by CRADO’s President, Mr. Adeolu Ogunbanjo, made available to Daily Sun, observed that before the latest hike in electricity tariff, Nigerians had been paying higher than countries with stronger economies.
‘‘Incontrovertibly, before this increment, Nigerians have been paying the highest tariff per kilowatt in Africa and contiguous regions. We pay higher than Egypt and countries with stronger economies,’’ the statement said.
Recall that Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) had on February 1, commenced the implementation of new electricity tariff for residential and industrial users across the country.
Under the new tariff regime, R2 customers covered by the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) who currently pay N13.91 per kilowatt-hour (kWh) will witness an increase by N9.60.
Consumers under the Eko and Ikeja electricity distribution areas who currently pay N12.87kWh and N13.61kWh respectively will witness a N10 and N8 increase respectively in their energy charges. Electricity consumers covered by Kaduna and Benin Discos who currently pay N16.90 kWh and N12.54 kWh will witness an increase of N11.05 and N9.26 respectively in their energy charges.
For commercial consumers in Ibadan and Enugu who currently pay N25.18kWh and N24.01kWh respectively, their energy charge will increase by N12.08 and N13.35 respectively. CRADO maintained that in view of the fact that metering is the contract equipment between the Electricity Distribution Companies (Discos) and electricity consumers, the Discos have continued to exploit Nigerians by the estimated and crazy billing system for majority of consumers, while deliberately refusing to make available prepaid meters.
‘‘As there has been no significant improvement in service delivery, most consumers are also not metered in accordance with the signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) of November 1, 2013, which stipulates that within 18 months gestation period, all consumers must have been metered.
There are meter manufacturers in Nigeria producing all types of meters, various types of smart meters and transformers with the approval of the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON). It is highly unlawful and a flagrant abuse of consumer rights, for electricity consumers to pay the new tariff before getting the meters.
“Why should electricity tariff increase when the extant law for such increment was not followed in consonance with Section 76 of the Power Sector Reform Act, 2005,” CRADO queried.
In view of the above stated reasons, CRADO called on the Minister of Power, Works and Housing to obey the subsisting No Increase in Electricity Tariff court order of May 28, 2015 by Justice Mohammed Idris of the Federal High Court, Ikoyi, Lagos. The consumer rights group equally called on the Minister to dialogue with financial institutions to increase their investments in the power business so that electricity generation can hit 7,500mw while ensuring that all electricity consumers are metered

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/nigerians-pay-highest-tariff-per-kilowatt-in-africa/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by emamos: 7:06am On Feb 22, 2016
Ok.. It is not well

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by playtheblues(f): 7:17am On Feb 22, 2016
Yet the callous Fashola who went to Tinubu's Greedy School wants it increased.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by ORACLE1975(m): 7:22am On Feb 22, 2016
I dey come
Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by Montaque(m): 7:22am On Feb 22, 2016
So where is the change?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by dearsly(m): 7:46am On Feb 22, 2016
if only d amount can be doubled!!...next time wen u hear Buhari/Osinbanjo....una go wise up

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by jay2pee(m): 7:48am On Feb 22, 2016
Heiii, we are doomed and the main issue is that some zombies still say it just right

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by otitokoroleti: 7:52am On Feb 22, 2016
God will frustrate Babatunde Raji Fashola

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by Nobody: 7:59am On Feb 22, 2016
Na change na

Personally I resort to buying inverter.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by Emekamex(m): 8:18am On Feb 22, 2016
This country is frustrating.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by jeeqaa7(m): 8:45am On Feb 22, 2016
Ok
Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by admax(m): 8:45am On Feb 22, 2016
Lies!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by repogirl(f): 8:45am On Feb 22, 2016
Wow, so we have even been over paying since, and now they have added on top sef. Gosh!
Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by Nwasco16: 8:45am On Feb 22, 2016
That's how our politicians have been milking us. From Obasanjo to Jonathan to Buhari, meanwhile they are not paying bills or most of them pay bills with tax payers money

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by NobleAngell(f): 8:46am On Feb 22, 2016
Big boys!
Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by Last2comment(m): 8:46am On Feb 22, 2016
undecided
Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by jeeqaa7(m): 8:46am On Feb 22, 2016
Thieves!!! U are one of em
hopegrace201:
Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by kay29000(m): 8:47am On Feb 22, 2016
Hmm! And I recently read somewhere that we pay the second cheapest tariffs in Africa.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by Jowonloju(m): 8:47am On Feb 22, 2016
We are not competing with Africa but the develop Countries. does African Countries have light.tell me how much it cost in countries with stable power supply

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by Nobody: 8:47am On Feb 22, 2016
Yeyt, Fashola insists Nigerians should accept the new tarrif
Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by luckystone02: 8:47am On Feb 22, 2016
Poor system

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by wiloy2k8(m): 8:48am On Feb 22, 2016
no light
Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by kennyman2000(m): 8:48am On Feb 22, 2016
You see. Most Nigeria polliticians sees Nigeria as business center. Especially that governor fashola.

Check my signature for ur customised wristband

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by amunkita(m): 8:48am On Feb 22, 2016
Yet no light..

Could it be Buhari's body odor ain't fixing this light issues any longer

Cloth wey I wash since saturday morning I no fit iron am reach now.

This light don worse to the extent that the transformer house is now a dump site...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by charlycharly: 8:48am On Feb 22, 2016
Ehen
Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by aku626(m): 8:49am On Feb 22, 2016
hmmm
Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by menxer: 8:49am On Feb 22, 2016
Am not surprised, everything in Nigeria is either the biggest or the largest in Africa, so why would our tariff be different?

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by TonySpike: 8:49am On Feb 22, 2016
I don't know how true this tariff comparison is. In South Africa where I resided for sometime, we payed about 1.5 Rands per KWh of Electricity, which is roughly about 27 Naira per KWh. My monthly electricity bill was roughly about 6300 Naira per month. I can't say of Egypt because I have never lived there...

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by sdindan: 8:50am On Feb 22, 2016
Old wizards in government

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by CHARLOE(m): 8:51am On Feb 22, 2016
very insensitive, disappointed in fashola. there shld b an improvement in power supply b4 any talk of increment.
Re: Nigerians Pay Highest Tariff Per Kilowatt In Africa’ by yrret: 8:52am On Feb 22, 2016
These days I wake up to hear/read news that even makes you more aggressive.

Federal government should bodly come out and wage physical war with the citizen rather than using different means to put us in scandal.

Even assylum for Nigerians is not guarantee.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Soldiers Arrest Suspected Associates Of Tompolo / Ben Bruce: Peter Obi Deserves National Honour / 2023: I’m Contesting To Make Our Children’s Future Great – Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.