Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,968 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' (67934 Views)

Breaking: DSS Arrests Ifeanyi Ubah Over N11b Oil Theft / Take A Look At Ifeanyi Ubah's House / Ifeanyi Ubah's Car Gift To Ikechukwu Emeka Onyia's Wife (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by simplycarro: 2:35pm On Feb 22, 2016
ubecharles:
. Why are very poor countries like Zambia, Malawi, gambia, Ghana etc without a drop of oil to export have favourable exchange rate with the dollar and even superior to the naira

Simple.
Because their taste for exquisite imported items is not as high as that of Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Nobody: 2:36pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bevista:
Ordinarily, I should not comment on this thread since Ubah has not mentioned how he would go about it. However, for the benefit of those who might get swayed by his cheap claims, I'll say something.
---
The exchange rate (PRICE of dollars) is determined primarily by SUPPLY of dollars (through exports, FDIs, foreign borrowing, etc) and DEMAND for dollars (through imports, payments of foreign school fees/medical bills, online purchases, etc). The NET flow of these transactions determine the Balance of Payments (BOP) account with the Central Bank. Elementary economics tells us that when demand exceeds supply, prices go up!
---
Coming back to Nigeria, it is well known that oil accounts for 95% of our FX earnings. As oil prices have collapsed from ~$100 in 2014 to ~$30, our supply of dollars has dropped tremendously. This is even worse when one considers that our cost of oil production is ~$20/bbl, meaning that our dollar revenue from oil has dropped from ~$80/bbl to ~$10/bbl. On the demand side, the request for imports are increasing. With such supply shock and increasing demand, there is only one way for the exchange rate to go. This is basic economics and has nothing to do with Emefiele or Buhari, except you are simply being mischievous or grossly ignorant.
---
When oil collapsed from around $147 to $38 due to the 2008 Global Financial Crisis (GFC), Nigeria had a Foreign Reserve of ~$62bn. The then CBN Governor had to spend ~$20bn from the Reserves to meet import demand thereby preventing devaluation/depreciation. Between 2011 & 2014, oil price was above $100, meaning that the administration never had a dollar supply problem and so could maintain a stable exchange rate. Fast forward to late 2014 when oil prices slid to ~$60, the CBN had to devalue the Naira twice within a period of 6 months (Nov 2014 & Feb 2015) because the Reserves were too low (<$35bn) to deplete to support imports. Now in 2016, oil prices are around $30/bbl while FX Reserves is less than $28bn. The supply shock has reached unprecedented levels, yet demand for imports has not decreased. There is absolutely no way that the exchange rate can stay below N250/$. Simple economics says that price will continue to move till a new equilibrium is reached where demand equates supply.
---
There is no policy from Emefiele, Soludo, Greenspan, Bernanke or any other Central Bank governor that can strengthen the Naira in the near term. Except we want to completely deplete the Reserves or go to the IMF to borrow SDRs just to meet import demands. Brace up folks, if oil price collapses to $20 (thereby increasing the supply shock) the exchange rate shall hit N1000/$ and I repeat, this has nothing to do with Emefiele or Buhari but simply economic forces. The only thing that can save the Naira is either for SUPPLY of dollars to increase (through high oil price) or DEMAND to reduce. Since we do not have control over the supply side, we can at least focus on managing the demand side.
---
So Mr Ifeanyi Ubah, you have zero knowledge on what you are talking about. With all the money you made from the last government, you can start by building a refinery or some other manufacturing facility (like Dangote) to help us substitute for imports. That would help the Naira more than you seeking cheap consultancy from the government. Or except you want to broker a deal for the government to give amnesty to your Dasuki-Gate friends, so they can bring out stashed up dollars from soakaways and graveyards to support the economy.

Bevista, thanks for this wonderful basic explanation, no one has explained it better on here BUT some of the CBN gov's policies made it worse. Fine our FX has depleted but when you stave the BDCs off dollars, you encourage round tripping, hoarding and the likes. Nigeria has always been importing whether economic recession or not. Funny policies and the panic button makes it sky rocket. Till we start manufacturing, I don't see this dollar coming down, infact its worse to hear that we don't even produce our own fuel. We import it back.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Lovelynature(m): 2:37pm On Feb 22, 2016
Eebrahym:

or lets give him 1 year to make it at $ to 50naira wink

Okugbe
he must have been turned to Mr President then smileysmiley
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by 0taPiaPia(m): 2:38pm On Feb 22, 2016
Zceesneh:
that means in two months, he can bring one dollar to 100 naira

are you guys for real
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by bbdd: 2:39pm On Feb 22, 2016
240naija:
As the nation's currency exchanges at N400 to the US dollar on Sunday, Billionaire business mogul has said that if the Buhari-led federal government consults him, he could restore the nation's currency to an exchange rate of N200 to one US Dollar within one month.

Speak­ing on a Channels Television poli­tics programme on Sunday, billionaire businessman and the Chairman of Capital Oil and Gas Services Ltd., Dr. Patrick Ifeanyi Ubah, has advised the Federal Government to consult some Nigerians who can halt the free fall of the Naira which is affecting the na­tion’s economy.The Nai­ra currently exchanges at N400 to the US dollar.

The Publisher of The Authority newspapers, said that if the President Buhari-le federal gov­ernment consults him, he could re­store the nation’s currency to an ex­change rate of N200 to one US Dollar within one month, thereby arresting the slide in the Naira which is virtu­ally crippling the economy.

The Chairman of Ifeanyi Ubah Football Club, however did not say how he was going to bring the Naira down to an exchange rate of 200 per dol­lar, but said the government could seize everything he owns if he failed to do this within one month, if given the mandate.

Chief Ubah also affirmed that he was not involved in any way what­soever in the $2.3 billion Dasuki­gate arms deal that involved the for­mer National Security Adviser, Col Sambo Dasuki, adding that he was not in­volved in the politics of contracts and has never done any government con­tracts, whether at the Federal, state or local government levels.

"I am highly misunderstood, sometimes controversial. But I have never done any government contracts. I did not collect any money from Gov­ernment; I do not have an oil block – and I have not asked for one.

"I did not know Dasuki. TAN nev­er received money from Dasuki or the People’s Democratic Party. We did what we did in the interest of the na­tion and for posterity.

"I’m a politician with a mind-set of making life worth living for the people, when issues seem to be getting out of hand. So TAN has no hand in whatever that has to do with the arms deal fund."

He said following the controver­sies trailing the #Dasukigate, it has be­come necessary for him to extricate himself from allegations that himself and the non-governmental organisa­tion, Transformation Ambassadors of Nigeria (TAN), were in anyway in­volved in the sharing of the arms deal money.

http://www.levitoday.com/2016/02/i-can-bring-us-dollar-to-n200-in-one.html

OK. Magician. We have heard you. Lol
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by hollandis(f): 2:39pm On Feb 22, 2016
I hope dollar increases to 500$ ,it is better for us that are outside the country
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by YelloweWest: 2:40pm On Feb 22, 2016
He is an igbo man. Igbo men are good with money! I believe him. Bubu swallow your pride and take the damn advice

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by kunlesufyan(m): 2:40pm On Feb 22, 2016
Enu dun ro efo
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Nobody: 2:42pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bevista:
Ordinarily, I should not comment on this thread since Ubah has not mentioned how he would go about it. However, for the benefit of those who might get swayed by his cheap claims, I'll say something.
---
The exchange rate (PRICE of dollars) is determined primarily by SUPPLY of dollars (through exports, FDIs, foreign borrowing, etc) and DEMAND for dollars (through imports, payments of foreign school fees/medical bills, online purchases, etc). The NET flow of these transactions determine the Balance of Payments (BOP) account with the Central Bank. Elementary economics tells us that when demand exceeds supply, prices go up!
---
Coming back to Nigeria, it is well known that oil accounts for 95% of our FX earnings. As oil prices have collapsed from ~$100 in 2014 to ~$30, our supply of dollars has dropped tremendously. This is even worse when one considers that our cost of oil production is ~$20/bbl, meaning that our dollar revenue from oil has dropped from ~$80/bbl to ~$10/bbl. On the demand side, the request for imports are increasing. With such supply shock and increasing demand, there is only one way for the exchange rate to go. This is basic economics and has nothing to do with Emefiele or Buhari, except you are simply being mischievous or grossly ignorant.
---
When oil collapsed from around $147 to $38 due to the 2008 Global Financial Crisis (GFC), Nigeria had a Foreign Reserve of ~$62bn. The then CBN Governor had to spend ~$20bn from the Reserves to meet import demand thereby preventing devaluation/depreciation. Between 2011 & 2014, oil price was above $100, meaning that the administration never had a dollar supply problem and so could maintain a stable exchange rate. Fast forward to late 2014 when oil prices slid to ~$60, the CBN had to devalue the Naira twice within a period of 6 months (Nov 2014 & Feb 2015) because the Reserves were too low (<$35bn) to deplete to support imports. Now in 2016, oil prices are around $30/bbl while FX Reserves is less than $28bn. The supply shock has reached unprecedented levels, yet demand for imports has not decreased. There is absolutely no way that the exchange rate can stay below N250/$. Simple economics says that price will continue to move till a new equilibrium is reached where demand equates supply.
---
There is no policy from Emefiele, Soludo, Greenspan, Bernanke or any other Central Bank governor that can strengthen the Naira in the near term. Except we want to completely deplete the Reserves or go to the IMF to borrow SDRs just to meet import demands. Brace up folks, if oil price collapses to $20 (thereby increasing the supply shock) the exchange rate shall hit N1000/$ and I repeat, this has nothing to do with Emefiele or Buhari but simply economic forces. The only thing that can save the Naira is either for SUPPLY of dollars to increase (through high oil price) or DEMAND to reduce. Since we do not have control over the supply side, we can at least focus on managing the demand side.
---
So Mr Ifeanyi Ubah, you have zero knowledge on what you are talking about. With all the money you made from the last government, you can start by building a refinery or some other manufacturing facility (like Dangote) to help us substitute for imports. That would help the Naira more than you seeking cheap consultancy from the government. Or except you want to broker a deal for the government to give amnesty to your Dasuki-Gate friends, so they can bring out stashed up dollars from soakaways and graveyards to support the economy.
may Jah rasterfari bless yah knowledge man
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by udumosam23(m): 2:43pm On Feb 22, 2016
ubecharles:
. Why are very poor countries like Zambia, Malawi, gambia, Ghana etc without a drop of oil to export have favourable exchange rate with the dollar and even superior to the naira

Good question if true.

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by makabulchi(m): 2:44pm On Feb 22, 2016
Last2comment:
Ubahnomics
Magician
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by SegunAdewole: 2:44pm On Feb 22, 2016
obailala:
While you celebrate your dollars, I hope your entire extended family and friends also have their savings in dollars too?... I also hope you have enough dollars to pay the battalions of mopols that would be needed to secure your stash when a humanitarian crisis starts?

Don't worry my family and I are safe,some are even citizens of saner countries uninhabited by zombies. You zombies brought this government into power. Those of us who knew you were scammed started preparing for this eventuality long ago. The zombies are the only ones shocked and unprepared, we were prepared. The country is going to crash on you and YOU ZOMBIES ALONE for your political stupidity. When you all die of hunger and starvation and go into extinction for the curse you brought upon yourself, the prepared ones like us will continue to exist. A natural evolutionary phenomenon of natural selection key for the existence of ONLY sane humans.

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by edonks1: 2:44pm On Feb 22, 2016
What you don't know and the other man knows is money. You guys are just green-eyed of the intelligent young man _ Ifeanyi uba
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by millionaireman: 2:45pm On Feb 22, 2016
ASL33:
More realistic than 1 to 1 as proposed by bubu.

Those who trusted Bubu with his promise in Owerri to make the Naira equal to the Dollar, and voted him to power, they are the ones responsible for the current disaster on the Naira.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by DonSegmond(m): 2:45pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bevista:
---
---
---
---
---

I feel for you bro, look at the abuse you are receiving for trying to edumacate on basic macro economics. lol, you get strength oh.

2 Likes

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by goodgate: 2:45pm On Feb 22, 2016
PassingShot:

So, you seriously th think Ubah has a magic to the exchange rate issue?

Na wa o.
Ubah has been smoking too much weed,even Dangote cannot boast of that.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by ronaldbecky(m): 2:46pm On Feb 22, 2016
Day11:
Talk is cheap..But sincerely I would have want it at $ to 100naira. Can you do that in 6months? angry
chairman...relax, why dont u like beta thing..he is alrdy a made billionare..why nt let d fed giv him d contract, then we see what u can do, b4 u talk of 100 naira..poverty mentality is nt gud..i no call name o
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by mcgaius: 2:46pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bevista:
Nobody is stopping Mr Ubah from sharing his views. He was on air yet he could not say what he believes can save the Naira. Why does he want special consultancy to help his country. A lot of Nigerians debate our problems and solutions openly on air so that others can hear and enrich the debate, but Ubah want consultancy from the government before he can advise them. So much for patriotism.

In case you don't know,anything that has to do with the government has to follow a due process.Uba cannot force himself on the government.He has made his claim.Its now left for the government to give him a trial.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by millionaireman: 2:47pm On Feb 22, 2016
Most annoying is that those who voted Bubu to power say that they knew that Buhari was an Economic illiterate, but still voted him to power.

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by PBundles(m): 2:48pm On Feb 22, 2016
Finally someone who knows what they are talking about. BTW, my (guess)estimation on the rate wasnt that far off, and it wasnt even the end of the year yet. And yes, though some may doubt, the 1000 to 1 is VERY REALISTIC!

Bevista:
---
---
---
---
---

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by PrinceEvolution(m): 2:48pm On Feb 22, 2016
best comment so far..
tomakint:
Chief Ifeanyi Ubah how do you intend to achieve that? Our balance of trade is negative, global oil price has fallen, we are a consuming economy, we run an expensive system of government that bites hard on capital expenditure but caress recurrent expenditure, our FX is below $30 billion, and many indices aiding the free fall of Naira. So Sir, how do you intend to achieve that?
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by dancewith: 2:48pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bevista:
---
---
---
---
---

I beg to disagree on some of your assertion. Contrary to your position we do have control over the supply side. Which is by encouraging and promoting exports. At the moment the FG's policies doesn't .

I stated earlier that the current mismatch of demand and supply giving rise to galloping prices present's a unique opportunity for Nigerians to boost export and export initiatives. Woods, charcoal, lead ore, zinc, cash crops abound which we could easily take advantage of to earn foreign exchange thereby boosting supply

But what does the FG do? They force exporters to sell their export proceeds to the already rich commercial banks at the ridiculous rate of N197. This clearly is a policy targeted against boosting export. Pray, why won't prices continue to rise when you are discouraging imports and exports at the same time

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by millionaireman: 2:49pm On Feb 22, 2016
mcgaius:

In case you don't know,anything that has to do with the government has to follow a due process.Uba cannot force himself on the government.He has made his claim.Its now left for the government to give him a trial.

Ubah appears to be only mocking those who said they knew that Buhari was an Economic illiterate but still voted Buhari president.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by mcgaius: 2:50pm On Feb 22, 2016
PassingShot:

So, you seriously th think Ubah has a magic to the exchange rate issue?

Na wa o.

I expect Nigerian government to give him a chance to prove himself.If it means consulting him,let them do that because those in the helm of affairs don't seem to have a clue of how to turn things around.

2 Likes

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Bevista: 2:50pm On Feb 22, 2016
Sacluxpaint:
Bevista, thanks for this wonderful basic explanation, no one has explained it better on here BUT some of the CBN gov's policies made it worse. Fine our FX has depleted but when you stave the BDCs off dollars, you encourage round tripping, hoarding and the likes. Nigeria has always been importing whether economic recession or not. Funny policies and the panic button makes it sky rocket. Till we start manufacturing, I don't see this dollar coming down, infact its worse to hear that we don't even produce our own fuel. We import it back.
People do not understand how dire the situation is. I'm sure if the CBN were to say it the way it is, we'll all go into complete panic mode.
---
When you say the CBN starves BDCs of dollars, the question is - does CBN still have enough dollars to continue funding the BDCs? Secondly, most of the BDCs were doing roundtripping due to the divergence between the official and BM rates.
---
Go back and check what our import bill was in 2000 when oil was around $30/bbl and compare that to what our import bill is today. It is more than 10 fold, yet we are to still fund the imports with the same oil price. Add that to the fact our population has increased from ~120m to ~170m. All these add to the Demand pressure. In Nigeria, we do not plan for tomorrow. For instance, most cities worldwide anticipate their population needs in 5-10yrs and start building infrastructure that will support it, but look at Lagos!

6 Likes

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by phydell(m): 2:50pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bevista:
---
---
---
---
---
Good. Hope the wailing illiterates can read.....simply read

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by ronaldbecky(m): 2:51pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bevista:
---
---
---
---
---
lolzzzz, guy i swear,u funny..snce u claimin thou ar holier as wise, why u neva reach half of his height...why nt let him do it first..some people sha

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by ksolution(m): 2:51pm On Feb 22, 2016
i would love to see him try! But if he really knows how to stop the fall of naira to dollar, why not help with his information. After all, the naira fall affects him 2. Directly or Indirectly.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by jorgan(m): 2:51pm On Feb 22, 2016
lookandlaff:

unprincipled. he's just looking to seek favour with the new govt after masterminding that nauseating campaign against Buhari. 1st he started during fuel scarcity, calling pressmen in the middle of the night to picture him releasing PMS, trying to potray himself as a saint, when in fact ALL marketers had agreed that night to release PMS. If he has anything to say that will benefit the country say it in the open.

Actually I apologize to all prostitutes out there, it's an insult to prostitutes to call him a prostitute, he is a scumbag

This is too much, Haba! Lool
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by jamesibor: 2:52pm On Feb 22, 2016
irondome:

It's okay for someone with an atom of common sense to allude Ubah's claim to politicking, however, I really don't know what to say about those who believe for a second that Ubah can really pull this off.

And if Ubah did say this with all elements of seriousness, then he is dumber than I thought him to be.

How about your president that promised to make it $1=N1?

2 Likes

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by mcgaius: 2:53pm On Feb 22, 2016
millionaireman:

Ubah appears to be only mocking those who said they knew that Buhari was an Economic illiterate but still voted Buhari president.

Thats what your mind is giving you.You see that black man mentality am talking about?So all you could make out of that claim is negative inference and no chance of "what if" in your expectation.Its even funny to note that people like you belive pmb can make 1usd = 1 naira.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Femi Otedola's First Automobile As A Kid In Throwback Photo / See What I Saw In My Save After Six Month's (Photos) / Otedola Escorts Dangote To Renew Driver’s License In Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.