Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? (31368 Views)

Rethink What 38,000 Naira Can Do For You / How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah / Naira Strengthens Against The Dollar As Bdc Intervention Goes On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by dragon2(m): 7:10pm On Apr 07, 2016
Xonology:
Long grammar ! ... The problem is that we speak too much grammar in this country without addressing the root cause of our problem.. How can you centralize the resources of a country to one place and expect the country to move on? If you don't address the root cause of the problem, if you like adopt every know economic principle in salvaging our economy, it will never work. First thing first is power devolution.. True federalism, where by states are independent of the FG.. Let every state manage it's resources and pay 20% as tax to FG every month. Implement state police to tackle our security challenges.. Once this is done, the governors will know that it's no longer biz as usual thus, they will be forced to sit up.. Once this is done, all other challenges facing us will take care of itself.. But as long as we keep on lying to ourselves speaking long grammar which we've been doing for the past fifty something years, we are never gonna move forward.

This was what i was about to type till i saw your post. Let's face it, greed for "free" fuel allocation has made our people poor and leaders slack. Free money that can no longer go round. We need to detach this free oil revenue brought to us by the hard working oil drillers from Governance.
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by 2sexycom(m): 7:17pm On Apr 07, 2016
989900:

You know the economic situation in the country since the mid 80s has taken it's toll on our populace (education-wise), churning out literate-illiterates, unemployable grads, and intellectual midgets (with knack for inanities like Toyin A, Tonto D, and e.t.c) with 'too long can't read syndrome'.

Our older uncles and aunts with the old 'standard 6' and 'modern 3' are more studious, literate, and civil than this new lot.

The media isn't helping either.

2 Likes

Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Apr 07, 2016
benedictnsi:
Dora Akunyili : "before rebranding Nigeria, we have to first of all, rebrand ourselves....."

Until we get rid of all these bureaucratic bottle-necks (square pegs in round holes), egocentric and smug Leaders who will not have the interest of the masses at heart..... Even if we adopt all your nice suggestions, things swill still not change for the BETTER.

Let us stop giving dumb ass confused set of political thieves sensitive appointments..... We have enough technocrats that can always turn things around in all sectors of the Economy.

Thanks

#my_opinion

You answered the question put forward by op
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by Trottle: 8:22pm On Apr 07, 2016
nosiebaba:
Wow this is the most intelligent article I have read in some years.. Just to add a little.. Besides refine rows another way we can tackle this petroleum problem is by using an alternative to fuel.. That is Natural gas. Cars, trucks, trains and planes etc can run on natural gas.. You can use both just switch to whichever you want to use either fuel or gas.. And the thing is Nigeria has more than a trillion cubic feet reserves of natural gas.. If people take advantage of this alternative then we would have drastically reduced fuel importation.
Well that is my little contribution for now.
Please seir, enlighten us further on it. Can the switching be immediate?
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by bashydemy(m): 8:23pm On Apr 07, 2016
OP God bless you, You make so much sense up there but will those greedy businessmen and women allow all this to work? I believe a lot of rich men are sponsoring those militant to vandalize the pipelines and also the refineries not working too can be tagged to them... We have alot of crazy people in Nigeria that will not want all the above to work so as to allow them to import good and to make more profit from them....

Well i think all we need a Govt that will invoke veto power in some cases.. Even if PMB is ready to do all the above and make them work, it will still pass through the NASS and those greedy NASS member who i believe most of them benefited a lot from the economy crisis..
Nigerians are suffering to buy PMS but here in Benin Republic where i stay there's fuel all over the places might be expensive though but you will still buy without queuing except you want to buy from Fueling station.. and mind you smuggle fuel into this country from Nigeria meaning some greedy Marketers are smuggling the PMS to the neighboring countries and Nigerians are suffering.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by Standing5(m): 8:29pm On Apr 07, 2016
9899a00:

3. Amend power generation and transmission laws to attract investors in that sector . . . do everything possible on earth and beyond to achieve at the least, 15 hours stable power supply averagely (this would catalyze industrial revolution, while reducing demand for refined pet.
The forces working against the power sector are so much. I would av suggested that we embrace the old approach of western region whereby there are clusters of industry in industrial estates. That way the estates can be targetted with power plants by positioning the power plants close to them. It may involve building gas pipelines to supply the power plants gas but the problem of long distance transimission lines that are hard to monitor and easy for vandals to target would av been eliminated.
The way things are now we involve long transmission lines and long pipeline network in our power supply apparatus to industry, but the approach suggested above it should eliminate transmission based interruption in power supply to industries.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by 989900: 8:48pm On Apr 07, 2016
bashydemy:
OP God bless you, You make so much sense up there but will those greedy businessmen and women allow all this to work? I believe a lot of rich men are sponsoring those militant to vandalize the pipelines and also the refineries not working too can be tagged to them... We have alot of crazy people in Nigeria that will not want all the above to work so as to allow them to import good and to make more profit from them....

Well i think all we need a Govt that will invoke veto power in some cases.. Even if PMB is ready to do all the above and make them work, it will still pass through the NASS and those greedy NASS member who i believe most of them benefited a lot from the economy crisis..
Nigerians are suffering to buy PMS but here in Benin Republic where i stay there's fuel all over the places might be expensive though but you will still buy without queuing except you want to buy from Fueling station.. and mind you smuggle fuel into this country from Nigeria meaning some greedy Marketers are smuggling the PMS to the neighboring countries and Nigerians are suffering.

The emboldened are all very serious issues we need to find a way around!
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by AZeD1(m): 9:08pm On Apr 07, 2016
989900:

I agree, it's gon' be hard to take their "feeder" and say goodbye.

The cabals need to be re-integrated into the future plans of the gov't; not by bringing in products, but by going into PPP on some government owned facilities like depots, refineries, and pipelines.
Either way, they won't have a choice by the time Dangote's refinery starts running.

If Singapore (5 million population) with little or no oil, refines over 1 milion barrels/day, and Japan with all the earthquakes and tsunamis refines over 4.5million barrels/day, then we have a problem -- I mean, we should be refining all the 2.2 million barrels that we produce and more -- exporting refined products only.

No, we can't even refine a third of the 445,000 barrels that's allocated to NNPC daily -- we threw our country, our lives, our future, our kids future, our prosperity to the dogs (the cabals), we let them own this country and dictate at will, we then go to church to pray for prosperity by proxy a la 'miracles' . . . LoL.

Can you imagine Mobil has a 592,000 barrels/day nameplate refinery in Singapore, what do they have in Nigeria?
So I just watch the Kachikwu video were he was talking about tying upstream to the down stream...
I guessed as much when I saw Mobil buying filling stations.
That's one way to reduce government forex spending. It's actually the best bet at this point.

1 Like

Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by drawingbook: 9:59pm On Apr 07, 2016
?
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by hustla(m): 10:14pm On Apr 07, 2016
drawingbook:
Hey guys please I have some $20 notes I'd like to give out. Mallams are underpricing them. Anyone need some?

Bring na
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by MartinsIfeco(m): 10:16pm On Apr 07, 2016
olafum1:
OP. You made a lot of sense up there..

Kudos.

I just wished all importation can be banned for now, starting from rice
Obj if u dey banned everything no ban pan cake ooo?

1 Like

Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by drawingbook: 10:23pm On Apr 07, 2016
hustla:

Bring na
How much.
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by bashydemy(m): 10:49pm On Apr 07, 2016
989900:

The emboldened are all very serious issues we need to find a way around!
That's why we have PMB but he need our support and the most of the youths that need to support him have been brainwashed.. The keep calling him names instead of supporting him in the fight against corruption.
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by Ugosample(m): 11:03pm On Apr 07, 2016
The main thing we need to do is to deregulate the sector COMPLETELY as we did in the telecoms sector.

Considering the telecoms sector, we were paying through our noses at first, but along the line, it is now very cheap.

The same thing can be done in the petroleum sector. but are Nigerians wise people? SMH
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by LDKOTB(m): 11:13pm On Apr 07, 2016
dukie25:
The only solution I can think of would be for the dullard to resign.

His botched budget of corruption made me come to that conclusion.

Look at this buzu oo...if you don't have something reasonable to type why not keep your mouth sealed?
Olofo!!
GOD bless Nigeria
GOD bless Nairaland
GOD bless all Nairalanders
GOD bless Me
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by jameseva: 11:23pm On Apr 07, 2016
Nigerians are the only set of people i know that will skip enlightening topics such as this but struggle for ftc in topics without any iota of positive knowledge! Try 'Tonto dike buys a new bra', and see as the pages increase almost like some bot action! Development will be such an uphill task with the set of dumbos forming the young generation of my dear country. What a pity!

1 Like

Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by maishai: 11:28pm On Apr 07, 2016
TWO FORMS OF POWER ARE AT WAR IN THIS COUNTRY THEY ARE POLITICAL POWER AND ECONOMIC PROWESS,THE PEOPLE WITH POLITICAL POWER ARE REALLY AFRAID OF THE GUYS WITH ECONOMIC PROWESS COS BELIEVE ME IF JUST ONE SINGLE ECONOMIC PLAN IS CARRIED TO FRUITION IN THIS COUNTRY POWER WOULD CHANGE HANDS AND PEOPLE AT THE TOP MIGHT JUST FIND THEMSELVES BELOW AND IRRELEVANT IN THE SITUATION OF THINGS IN THE COUNTRY WHICH OUR POLITICAL ELITES DO NOT WANT TO HAPPEN... TO SOLVE OUR PROBLEM IN THE COUNTRY WE JUST HAVE TO FIND A WAY FOR OUR POLITICIANS TO LIVE HARMONIOUSLY AND IMPLEMENT RULES THAT WILL MAKE BUSINESSES THRIVE AND NOT THEIR OWN PERSONAL BUSINESSES ONLY
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by aariwa(m): 6:24am On Apr 08, 2016
989900:
As annoyingly repetitive as it may seem, we can't get out of this quagmire without addressing the below 'causes' -- even if we devalue the Naira to N1,000 to a Dollar!

1. Check excess liquidity and currency racketeering/fraud (see Henry Boyo's explanation. . . I have posted many stuffs about it previously), while promulgating industry revolutionizing monetary policies.

2. Amend our laws to draw in investors (use propaganda if need be).

3. Amend power generation and transmission laws to attract investors in that sector . . . do everything possible on earth and beyond to achieve at the least, 15 hours stable power supply averagely (this would catalyze industrial revolution, while reducing demand for refined pet. products).

4. Refineries -- we need all four gov't refineries, and tens of modular ones running since last decade -- until we stop the importation of refined petroleum products that eats up, up to 30-40% of our Forex, we are going no where!
We were bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars in the early 90s from refined products exports, right now, we should have colonized West Africa with NNPC products everywhere (refined products have no OPEC cap)!

5. Encourage exports, and local content.

Re: Senator Bruce: As much as I admire his vigor and enthusiasm about the whole 'buyNaija' awareness, it's just a fraction in the scheme of things!

While importing palm oil from the same Malaysia we introduced palm oil to, importing eggs from South Africa we fought and paid to liberate, importing rice from a politically unstable Thailand, or toothpicks from hell are all 'weirdos', they account for far less than what
importation of refined petroleum products cost us; then we have the importation of aircrafts and parts and servicing which costs us hundreds of millions of dollars annually -- but Bruce believes it's about our average $20-$50 shoes or bags, $100 phones, or what-not (roughly 10-20 percent of our forex demand), or about our cheap $5,000 cars which by the way generates income for customs when they 'land', while gov't and it's officials are actually the ones bringing the forex gulping machines (probably without paying custom duties).
NBS just released a report indicating between January 2010 - September 2015, we spent over N20 trillion (roughly $130 BILLION . . . 2014 dollar) on just importation of PMS, AGO, and DPK alone!
Same refined products we mine from our backyards, same refined products we were net exporters of (raking in millions of dollars from), 25 years ago! If this is not madness, what is?

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: Though he is yet to disclose his so called "secret" or magic wand (but I guess it is: probably supporting the country's fuel import-consumption . . . probably for some while).

My own idea of bringing the dollar exchange rate to below N200 in say 3 months would be namely:

Stop the importation of refined products now and find alternative to how we survive without it -- it gulps 40% of our forex!

Crazy, right? However, we probably can (everyone's contribution and criticism would be helpful here), if the gov't is serious about it, and if it can carry the people along especially with the budding awareness of the demise of our economy.

1. Get the NNPC, special task forces, Armed forces, and the people on board as regards protecting the pipelines.

2. Get NNPC to make sure the refineries do not slouch again, rather, increasing in production.

3. Get the few trains we have working, and create an awareness on conserving fuel.

4. Provide very affordable mass transit buses, while encouraging car owners to shed usage, or re-introduce something similar to our old 'odd number/even number system' for cars that should have access to the road on particular days.

5. Provide gas, give free/cheap cylinders to boot if necessary.

6. Power: without fairly stable power supply it will be a difficult one. Fairly stable power reduces the need for PMS and AGO, reduces importation of generators and alternative power equipment.

7. Checkmate cross-border fuel smuggling.

8. Modular refineries: they can be imported and made operational in months.

9. Sell off some portion of gov't assets to foreign investors. #ppp

Additionals:

10. Encourage Nigerians overseas to invest back home.

11. Recover all debts, 'stolens', and 'accruables'.

12. Reduce gov't recurrent expenditure and buying local for all gov't purposes if available -- starting with them senator's cars, and presidential budget and travels.

13. Consider changing currency colors.

14. Agric exports.

If we can do all the above (sounds crazy though . . . desperate situation calls for desperate measures), our refined fuel consumption rate should drop to 'near' what NNPC can support, or at worst, greatly reduce importation of refined fuel by more than 60%. Then we "buynaija"; the Naira will firm up, and the CBN can probably tweak the exchange rate to gain say N2-N4/$, which will indicate a direction of positive purpose, causing the BM, hoarders, and racketeers to panic-sell their dollars, while the CBN tries its best to enforce and enhance/support a strict range for bank rates.

Devaluation in our case', is a symptomatic approach to a systematic malady: underlying causes won't be cured!
It's like taking paracetamol as a curative for stage 4 cancer -- it 'probably' might make your pain dissipate (very likely it won't), but just for a very little while.

*Everyone's contribution and criticism would be helpful here.
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by GreatManBee: 9:22am On Apr 08, 2016
989900:
As annoyingly repetitive as it may seem, we can't get out of this quagmire without addressing the below 'causes' -- even if we devalue the Naira to N1,000 to a Dollar!

1. Check excess liquidity and currency racketeering/fraud (see Henry Boyo's explanation. . . I have posted many stuffs about it previously), while promulgating industry revolutionizing monetary policies.

3. Amend power generation and transmission laws to attract investors in that sector . . . do everything possible on earth and beyond to achieve at the least, 15 hours stable power supply averagely (this would catalyze industrial revolution, while reducing demand for refined pet. products).

4. Refineries -- we need all four gov't refineries, and tens of modular ones running since last decade -- until we stop the importation of refined petroleum products that eats up, up to 30-40% of our Forex, we are going no where!
We were bringing in hundreds of millions of dollars in the early 90s from refined products exports, right now, we should have colonized West Africa with NNPC products everywhere (refined products have no OPEC cap)!

Re: Senator Bruce: As much as I admire his vigor and enthusiasm about the whole 'buyNaija' awareness, it's just a fraction in the scheme of things!

While importing palm oil from the same Malaysia we introduced palm oil to, importing eggs from South Africa we fought and paid to liberate, importing rice from a politically unstable Thailand, or toothpicks from hell are all 'weirdos', they account for far less than what
importation of refined petroleum products cost us; then we have the importation of aircrafts and parts and servicing which costs us hundreds of millions of dollars annually -- but Bruce believes it's about our average $20-$50 shoes or bags, $100 phones, or what-not (roughly 10-20 percent of our forex demand), or about our cheap $5,000 cars which by the way generates income for customs when they 'land', while gov't and it's officials are actually the ones bringing the forex gulping machines (probably without paying custom duties).
NBS just released a report indicating between January 2010 - September 2015, we spent over N20 trillion (roughly $130 BILLION . . . 2014 dollar) on just importation of PMS, AGO, and DPK alone!
Same refined products we mine from our backyards, same refined products we were net exporters of (raking in millions of dollars from), 25 years ago! If this is not madness, what is?

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: Though he is yet to disclose his so called "secret" or magic wand (but I guess it is: probably supporting the country's fuel import-consumption . . . probably for some while).

My own idea of bringing the dollar exchange rate to below N200 in say 3 months would be namely:

Stop the importation of refined products now and find alternative to how we survive without it -- it gulps 40% of our forex!

Crazy, right? However, we probably can (everyone's contribution and criticism would be helpful here), if the gov't is serious about it, and if it can carry the people along especially with the budding awareness of the demise of our economy.

1. Get the NNPC, special task forces, Armed forces, and the people on board as regards protecting the pipelines.

2. Get NNPC to make sure the refineries do not slouch again, rather, increasing in production.

3. Get the few trains we have working, and create an awareness on conserving fuel.

4. Provide very affordable mass transit buses, while encouraging car owners to shed usage, or re-introduce something similar to our old 'odd number/even number system' for cars that should have access to the road on particular days.

6. Power: without fairly stable power supply it will be a difficult one. Fairly stable power reduces the need for PMS and AGO, reduces importation of generators and alternative power equipment.

Additionals:

12. Reduce gov't recurrent expenditure and buying local for all gov't purposes if available -- starting with them senator's cars, and presidential budget and travels.

14. Agric exports.

If we can do all the above (sounds crazy though . . . desperate situation calls for desperate measures), our refined fuel consumption rate should drop to 'near' what NNPC can support, or at worst, greatly reduce importation of refined fuel by more than 60%. Then we "buynaija"; the Naira will firm up, and the CBN can probably tweak the exchange rate to gain say N2-N4/$, which will indicate a direction of positive purpose, causing the BM, hoarders, and racketeers to panic-sell their dollars, while the CBN tries its best to enforce and enhance/support a strict range for bank rates.

Devaluation in our case', is a symptomatic approach to a systematic malady: underlying causes won't be cured!
It's like taking paracetamol as a curative for stage 4 cancer -- it 'probably' might make your pain dissipate (very likely it won't), but just for a very little while.

Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by nosiebaba(m): 9:26am On Apr 08, 2016
Trottle:

Please seir, enlighten us further on it. Can the switching be immediate?
Any car can be converted to use natural gas.. When the natural gas kit is installed, a switch is also put in the car so that any time you want to use gas, you press the gas switch and switch to gas and anytime you want to use petrol you you press the petrol switch and switch to petrol.. Almost 200 vehicles including trucks in lagos are using natural gas already.
In benin Edo state over 2000 vehicles are using natural gas.. Ant it is so cheap.. With just 800 naira you till your tank.

1 Like

Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by nosiebaba(m): 9:32am On Apr 08, 2016
nosiebaba:

Any car can be converted to use natural gas.. When the natural gas kit is installed, a switch is also put in the car so that any time you want to use gas, you press the gas switch and switch to gas and anytime you want to use petrol you you press the petrol switch and switch to petrol.. Almost 200 vehicles including trucks in lagos are using natural gas already.
In benin Edo state over 2000 vehicles are using natural gas.. Ant it is so cheap.. With just 800 naira you till your tank.
The last image is the button to switch from fuel to gas
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by zingobaby: 9:32am On Apr 08, 2016
God will help us
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by 989900: 11:40am On Apr 08, 2016
nosiebaba:

The last image is the button to switch from fuel to gas

The technology is real . . . Europeans have been using it for some while now; it has it's pros and cons . . . implementing adequate safety measures and re-fueling options for it, should be the next step.

A gas powered rail system would have been a blessing, if we had one.

1 Like

Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by Beanhead(m): 12:01pm On Apr 08, 2016
Xonology:
forget that, all those things up there are mere rhetorics.. Go to ministry of finance and see a heap of wonderful master plans that we've been preparing for the last 30+ years, and you ask yourself, why is none of this master plan working? The answer is that it's been implemented on a faulty foundation and until we address that, nothing is ever gonna work.

That's not good oo but I just pray all this will make Nigeria a great country someday
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by olumyde5(m): 1:52pm On Apr 08, 2016
OP nice job, this is one of the most wonderful piece I have ever read on this forum. We always have a way forward/ideas but sadly it's not been implemented. Most folks in government are just playing politics instead of implementing ideas that will transform generations to come, what every administration have always created is a US versus THEM society, they help us see the bad side of our ethinic differences and not the good side.
OP your points are very good, but how will this message get to the "top" and will it be implemented is another question. The youth should just gather themselves together and form a political party, (maybe Seun can be the party chairman). They are so many brainy guys/ladies in businesses and industry in this nation and even a lot more outside the shore of this nation, a lot of youths are frustrated because they look for a means to express themselves but there is none
It's so obvious the leaders in government don't have the intellectual capacity to move this nation forward.

1 Like

Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by Almajiri1: 8:52pm On May 13, 2016
up
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by mikolo80: 7:11am On May 06, 2017
modath:

This is heartbreaking!!!!! The mind is a beautiful thing to waste, dammit!!

Do you know how many times I've excised/summarized "important" parts for people on threads?? I ask myself sometimes why i should even bother, but i then tell myself that it's my civic duty... smiley

I do it cos i just don't want the Lesson /Info to be lost....

The only thing i'd advise, cos i don't want you to lose the zeal is to make the next one a bit more compact...As sad as it is , "It is a buyer's/ reader' s market" so we should tailor it to suit people we want to reach out to..

Don't be discouraged you hia, we nor get another obodo. wink

are you single
Re: The Dollar Vs Naira, Can This Be Done? by mikolo80: 6:58am On May 07, 2017
989900:

Additionals:

14. Agric exports.

1. who are the 'we '?
what will the corrupt be doing all this while, looking at you ba?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN Stops Sales Of Forex To Bureax-De-Change / Ikenna Ordor: The Nigerian Building UK's Biggest Supercar Rental Company (Video) / Which Bank Is The Most Honest Bank In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.