Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? (3063 Views)

Mating An Exotic Breed With Mongrel; Is It Right? / Is It Right For My Dog To Want To Bite Me? / DAVE GOT IT RIGHT!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by Mccarthyal(m): 7:54pm On Feb 22, 2016
Good day petlanders,
I'm new to this so pls pardon any mistakes i might be making. This is Snape, my female GSD. I got her when she was 3 weeks old. She's been with me for about 2 weeks now so she should be about 5 weeks old. However, she doesn't look like her mates as seen on the internet. When i just got her, i gave her peak 123 milk all day (5-6 times a day). Then as she progressed i added golden morn to it. Now i give her milk in the morning, diamonds puppy mid-day, 3/4 a can of pedigree for puppies in the afternoon and diamonds again at night. She still doesn't seem to be adding much weight. She's otherwise okay (mentally), as she gets very active and lively when she sees me. I'm just concerned about the weight gain. I also noticed that there's a sort of depression where the hind legs join on both sites. Sort of like a dimples. Could this mean she's not fed well? Is there something i should be giving her which i'm not? Is her eating regimen ok? Pls help guys. Thanks!

First pic is Snape at 3 weeks when i got her. Others are her curreent pictures.

Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by Dragon1997: 10:31pm On Feb 22, 2016
She's okay for a 5wks gsd puppy jst continue feeding proteinious food...when last did you deworm her
Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by LordRegalia: 11:43pm On Feb 22, 2016
Hello Mccarthyal, it seems obvious that you are new to dog ownership and for this reason you could be excused for any mistakes. On the other hand, as someone looking to get a pet, in this case a dog, you owe it to yourself to be well informed on all matters concerning the pet BEFORE you go ahead to acquire one. However, it is good that you are seeking help now as it is not too late.

First of all, why in the world anyone release a pup to it's new owner at 3 weeks of age? Whether you bought the pup, or it was a gift, it is far too young to be with you now. It is irresponsible breeding for any breeder worth his salt to release a pup to a new owner this early in the pup's life. I ideally, every pup should remain with it's mother for AT LEAST, the first 7 weeks of life, optimally 8 weeks but recommended 9 weeks of age. And even at that, the pup should be given it's first vaccination shot (at 7 or 8 weeks) before the owners pick it up. The reason for this is that during those early weeks, the pup gains most of it's optimimum nutrition and immunity from the mother's milk. Also, during that period the pup learns most of it's early social skills from interacting with it's mother and littermates. This is extremely important as the pup learns about respect, dominance and submission and also how to play and interact with humans and other animals. No one teaches the pup these skills better than it's mother. Most pups that are separated from their mother and littermates too early usually develop serious life-long behavioural problems as they never learned the basic social interactive skills to begin with and as such find it difficult to adjust and live in the real world.

Secondly, did you ever get to see the parents of the pup before you acquired it to confirm that they were true GSDs? That could very well be the answer to your query as to why the pup does not look like it's mates on the internet. Seeing the parents inasmuch as it gives you an opportunity to confirm that the breed is pure and true also affords you the chance to have an idea what to expect from your pup as an adult in terms of looks, temperament, behaviour and health.

Still on receiving the pup too early, the feeding of the pup at this time should be the primary concern of the breeder and the mother of the pup. Not your's. The pup is gradually weaned off it's mother's milk with a transition from semi-solid foods to wholly solid foods and this process takes weeks to get right. Also during this period the pup's growth and development exposes any flaws inherent in it's body and structure, be it inherited, congenital or environmentally induced. Which is why from about 7 / 8 weeks, most experienced breeders and dog owners can tell the "good pups" from the bad ones. This also would have taken care of your depression in the hind legs / dimples query.

Now about your feeding query, the options are endless, but the best advice i could give you at this point would be for you to get and feed the pup Royal Canin Starter for Mother and Babydog (MAXI). This is the formula for pups of the size / category within which the GSD falls. Get it and feed according to the directions on the packaging for as long as required. Sincerely, this is the absolute best you can get and do for your pup at this time considering the fact that you already got so many other aspects wrong. Sure it will set you back a few good thousand bucks but it would be all you would need for now and it would bring the possible best out of your dog under the circumstances. Any other feeding regimen at this time just will not cut it. You could follow the royal canin feeding regimen until the pup is at least 3 months old and then you may decide to switch to other or cheaper diets.

Hope this helps. All the best with Snape.

5 Likes

Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by Baroba(m): 6:43am On Feb 23, 2016
LordRegalia:
Hello Mccarthyal, it seems obvious that you are new to dog ownership and for this reason you could be excused for any mistakes. On the other hand, as someone looking to get a pet, in this case a dog, you owe it to yourself to be well informed on all matters concerning the pet BEFORE you go ahead to acquire one. However, it is good that you are seeking help now as it is not too late.

First of all, why in the world anyone release a pup to it's new owner at 3 weeks of age? Whether you bought the pup, or it was a gift, it is far too young to be with you now. It is irresponsible breeding for any breeder worth his salt to release a pup to a new owner this early in the pup's life. I ideally, every pup should remain with it's mother for AT LEAST, the first 7 weeks of life, optimally 8 weeks but recommended 9 weeks of age. And even at that, the pup should be given it's first vaccination shot (at 7 or 8 weeks) before the owners pick it up. The reason for this is that during those early weeks, the pup gains most of it's optimimum nutrition and immunity from the mother's milk. Also, during that period the pup learns most of it's early social skills from interacting with it's mother and littermates. This is extremely important as the pup learns about respect, dominance and submission and also how to play and interact with humans and other animals. No one teaches the pup these skills better than it's mother. Most pups that are separated from their mother and littermates too early usually develop serious life-long behavioural problems as they never learned the basic social interactive skills to begin with and as such find it difficult to adjust and live in the real world.

Secondly, did you ever get to see the parents of the pup before you acquired it to confirm that they were true GSDs? That could very well be the answer to your query as to why the pup does not look like it's mates on the internet. Seeing the parents inasmuch as it gives you an opportunity to confirm that the breed is pure and true also affords you the chance to have an idea what to expect from your pup as an adult in terms of looks, temperament, behaviour and health.

Still on receiving the pup too early, the feeding of the pup at this time should be the primary concern of the breeder and the mother of the pup. Not your's. The pup is gradually weaned off it's mother's milk with a transition from semi-solid foods to wholly solid foods and this process takes weeks to get right. Also during this period the pup's growth and development exposes any flaws inherent in it's body and structure, be it inherited, congenital or environmentally induced. Which is why from about 7 / 8 weeks, most experienced breeders and dog owners can tell the "good pups" from the bad ones. This also would have taken care of your depression in the hind legs / dimples query.

Now about your feeding query, the options are endless, but the best advice i could give you at this point would be for you to get and feed the pup Royal Canin Starter for Mother and Babydog (MAXI). This is the formula for pups of the size / category within which the GSD falls. Get it and feed according to the directions on the packaging for as long as required. Sincerely, this is the absolute best you can get and do for your pup at this time considering the fact that you already got so many other aspects wrong. Sure it will set you back a few good thousand bucks but it would be all you would need for now and it would bring the possible best out of your dog under the circumstances. Any other feeding regimen at this time just will not cut it. You could follow the royal canin feeding regimen until the pup is at least 3 months old and then you may decide to switch to other or cheaper diets.

Excellent write up and advice, what of returning the pup to the mother and picking her up in 5 weeks time, is that not an option at this time, I.e if it is still possible...
Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by LordRegalia: 7:08am On Feb 23, 2016
Baroba:

Excellent write up and advice, what of returning the pup to the mother and picking her up in 5 weeks time, is that not an option at this time, I.e if it is still possible...

Thank you Baroba.

Firstly, i very much doubt if the breeder or whoever gave the pup would be willing to take it back at this time, not even temporarily. He / she has already achieved their goal in sending the pups off so early. No one enjoys the stress and expenses involved in taking care of a litter of pups and their mother, never mind the fact that they are getting paid for it.

Secondly, even if the breeder were to have a change of heart and decide to take back the pup for the remainder of the weaning period, it is very unlikely that the mother would still be producing breast milk at this time, having stopped nursing the pups when they were all shipped off to their new homes. (Healthy) Bitches produce breastmilk for as long as they are fed right and nursing the pups. Once the she stops nursing for whatever reason, she gradually ceases to produce the milk (until the next litter arrives).
Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by Mccarthyal(m): 8:08am On Feb 23, 2016
Dragon1997:
She's okay for a 5wks gsd puppy jst continue feeding proteinious food...when last did you deworm her
Ok. Thanks. She was dewormed on saturday - 3 days ago
Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by Mccarthyal(m): 8:30am On Feb 23, 2016
LordRegalia:

LordRegalia, thanks for this. It really helped a lot. I'll go out and look for the feed you suggested. I appreciate it!
Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by LordRegalia: 9:03am On Feb 23, 2016
Mccarthyal:

LordRegalia, thanks for this. It really helped a lot. I'll go out and look for the feed you suggested. I appreciate it!

You are most welcome Mccarthyal. Glad to be of help.

(NB: If you reside in Lagos, you could get the feed from PETSMART LTD. They are located at No. 10 Ayanbode Street, Off Faramobi Ajike Street, Anthony Village, Lagos and their numbers are 08033059367 and 017748770.)
Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by Mccarthyal(m): 10:14am On Feb 23, 2016
LordRegalia:

You are most welcome Mccarthyal. Glad to be of help.

(NB: If you reside in Lagos, you could get the feed from PETSMART LTD. They are located at No. 10 Ayanbode Street, Off Faramobi Ajike Street, Anthony Village, Lagos and their numbers are 08033059367 and 017748770.)
Seen. Thanks!
Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by chidifyn(f): 12:14pm On Feb 23, 2016
Give multivitamin n cod liver oil too. Consult ur get for these. She ll be fine.
Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by LordRegalia: 2:14pm On Feb 23, 2016
chidifyn:
Give multivitamin n cod liver oil too. Consult ur get for these. She ll be fine.

The pup is still too young for multivitamins and cod liver oil as it's digestive system is still very sensitive. Wait until it is at least 3 months old before you begin to give it those and any other specialized supplements.
Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by Mccarthyal(m): 4:03am On Feb 24, 2016
LordRegalia:

The pup is still too young for multivitamins and cod liver oil as it's digestive system is still very sensitive. Wait until it is at least 3 months old before you begin to give it those and any other specialized supplements.
Ok. Thanks guys.
Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by LordRegalia: 12:11am On Mar 06, 2016
Hello Mccarthyal.

How are you and your pup doing? Would love to get an update on how she's getting along.

Cheers.
Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by Mccarthyal(m): 11:15am On Mar 06, 2016
LordRegalia:
Hello Mccarthyal.

How are you and your pup doing? Would love to get an update on how she's getting along.

Cheers.
Hi LordRegalia,
Sorry for the late response. I've been busy with school. Thanks for your concern. Snape is doing very well. She has gotten bigger. I feed her with dry foods, pedigree and a new formula (soya bean, groundnut, corn, and crayfish mix) i'm trying to introduce. She was given her first vaccine two days ago. She's doing well.
Attached is a pic i took of her 2 weeks ago. Once again, thanks for the concern. Cheers!

Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by LordRegalia: 9:57am On Mar 07, 2016
Mccarthyal:

Hi LordRegalia,
Sorry for the late response. I've been busy with school. Thanks for your concern. Snape is doing very well. She has gotten bigger. I feed her with dry foods, pedigree and a new formula (soya bean, groundnut, corn, and crayfish mix) i'm trying to introduce. She was given her first vaccine two days ago. She's doing well.
Attached is a pic i took of her 2 weeks ago. Once again, thanks for the concern. Cheers!

Hello Mccarthyal.

Good to know that she is doing well. She actually looks it too. Well done and keep up the good work.
Re: Pls Help! Am I Doing It Right? by Mccarthyal(m): 3:24pm On Mar 07, 2016
LordRegalia:

Hello Mccarthyal.

Good to know that she is doing well. She actually looks it too. Well done and keep up the good work.

LordRegalia
Thank you sir

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Tears As Lion Kills OAU Veterinary Staff, Olabode Olawuyi [PHOTO] / Male Boerboel For Sale or swap / Pedigree Female Boxhead Rottweiler.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.