Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,105 members, 7,814,881 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate (39540 Views)

Naira To Dollar Exchange Rate From 1972-2017 Will Amaze You (photos) / Dollar Exchange Rate As At This Evening / Naira To Dollar Exchange Rate As At 1983 (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Nobody: 11:05am On Feb 23, 2016
GurlFriend:
A blog reader sent us this mail and picture

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/02/greedy-nigerians-cashing-in-on-rising.html

And somehow you didn't realize that woman depends on some other products for her survival, shelter, clothing, food, for her and her dependants, the prices of these things has gone up, her wares should also appreciate in price so she would be able to buy. It's a ripple effect, everything and everyone is affected.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by damilareoye: 11:05am On Feb 23, 2016
Economic implication on "one" product affects all others... cheesy
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by enigma2007(m): 11:06am On Feb 23, 2016
tejpot:
Then we should expect increase in salary from all employers

hahahahahaha! You are on a long thing
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by ikombe: 11:06am On Feb 23, 2016
debbie:
The price of bag of pure water in lagos has increased....please what is our problem in Nigeria? we are terrible opportunists.
#80 to #150 to be precised grin
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by pulsa(m): 11:06am On Feb 23, 2016
Evathyst:
Waiting for the Oloshos to follow suit in the price increment gallore. Only then will I be able to show my boyfriend hell in its real form.

#UntilThenIsiddondeyLook#

na was oooo with all wetin you carry the guy man still dey cheat on you, na we guys dey do ourselves o.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by oloruntoba77(m): 11:07am On Feb 23, 2016
I board a bike and the bike man told me I'm paying #150 for were I normally talk for #100. I ask him why? He said dollar rise. I think Government need to sensitise the people to avoid unnecessary exploitation.

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Originalsly: 11:07am On Feb 23, 2016
Don't even bother to complain..... expect the price of everything imported or not to eventually rise to keep its USD value....right or wrong...greedy or unselfish...that's just the reality.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Bevista: 11:07am On Feb 23, 2016
tejpot:
Then we should expect increase in salary from all employers
It's an economic quagmire! Employers will tell you that even though they have increased prices of their goods, overall revenue is lower because of reduced patronage. Telling them to increase wages will increase their business cost and further reduce their revenue. They will sack plenty to be able to increase salaries for the few left.

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Holyfield1(m): 11:08am On Feb 23, 2016
EnterPRO:
the one I don't understand is pure water. why should price of water double overnight? even in Lagos.

are we importing that one too?
Exactly o....Now 10 naira here in Ogun

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by alt3r3g0: 11:08am On Feb 23, 2016
Clone2020:
You call it greed and I call it capitalism. At the end of the day, the market determines the price. Maybe the cost of the plastic bottles used in storing the oil has increased? Maybe the cost of importing the processors used in separating the oil from the shaft has increased? When the economy tanks, it affects most sectors one way or another.

I call it greed. Was at church on sunday and the person selling Asun (Goat meat) has reduced the pack by half...hence doubling the price. I had to ask if we had started importing goats.

The goats, home grown, the grass, the firewood, the pepper etc...all here. Why the hike in price? If we dont do away with greed and resist adding greed motivated inflation, then we are not helping ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by ijaw1stson: 11:10am On Feb 23, 2016
dominique:
A lot of stores are taking advantage of the the exchange rate to hike the price of items they had in stock months before the dollars rise

I don't want to believe that this really happened.
thenyournotaNigerian..orinNigeria@ the moment
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Justicealh3(m): 11:10am On Feb 23, 2016
DollarDollars things on local markets now
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by IVORY2009(m): 11:11am On Feb 23, 2016
This is the manner @ which the not too educated peeps thinks about the issue of rising dollar, the dollar affects vitually all aspect of our day-to-day purchases, in other words, wen the palm oil seller sells her oil, she will hv to add up, becos she will still need other stuff from people that sells stuff she does not have, that is how goods and services will keep going up.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by tatucci: 11:11am On Feb 23, 2016
Though, truth be told, my problem with this gov't is the way they keep quiet about important issues. I'm not saying you aint working but at least let the people know you are aware of what is going on and are doing something about it. If na gossip now Oga Lai go just come out begin throw tantrums at every chicken in the past gov't. Now serious issue don com him no go come tell us how dem dey plan to solve the matter.

well, on a lighter note, the writer said "climax" grin
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Clone2020(m): 11:12am On Feb 23, 2016
alt3r3g0:

I call it greed. Was at church on sunday and the person selling Asun (Goat meat) has reduced the pack by half...hence doubling the price. I had to ask if we had started importing goats.

The goats, home grown, the grass, the firewood, the pepper etc...all here. Why the hike in price? If we dont do away with greed and resist adding greed motivated inflation, then we are not helping ourselves.

You call it greed but no none forced you to buy that goat milk from that particular vendor. It's likely he's the only goat milk seller in the area. Without competition, every business man or woman would try to make gazillion percent profit. If he's price is too high, why are you patronizing him??
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by alaskido(m): 11:12am On Feb 23, 2016
The one that got me rolling on the floor with laughter is the PASTOR requested for members to sow seed in US dollars grin grin grin cheesy. These pastors will never change.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by oglalasioux(m): 11:14am On Feb 23, 2016
I don't want to believe that this really happened.[/quote]

It's been long you've been to church.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by ceejay80s(m): 11:14am On Feb 23, 2016
Photocopy is now 20naira Bag of pure water is now 200naira Indomie hungry man pack now 120naira More to come 'cos we are in trouble
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by kceewhyte(m): 11:14am On Feb 23, 2016
Evathyst:
Waiting for the Oloshos to follow suit in the price increment gallore. Only then will I be able to show my boyfriend hell in its real form.

#UntilThenIsiddondeyLook#
babe nawaa for u oo undecided
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Ahmed3rdjuly: 11:14am On Feb 23, 2016
Because the woman sells palm oil doesn't mean she feeds on palm oil at home. She need to buy rice at the new price, clothing and other imported items with her gains from palm oil to cater for her family.
The increase in the price of rice she would buy before going home must be borne by the buyer of her palm oil.
Its simple economics. The price of currency affects the price of everything.

2 Likes

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by nwakibie3(m): 11:15am On Feb 23, 2016
So after selling oil mama won't buy other things?
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by frisky2good(m): 11:16am On Feb 23, 2016
Chlorine is imported so expect the price of swimming to go up too soon grin

EnterPRO:
the one I don't understand is pure water. why should price of water double overnight? even in Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Gheritage(m): 11:16am On Feb 23, 2016
Yea you're right and those people are right too. How do I mean?
If I got ur point understandably, u mean u're wondering about what the rising in dollars has to do with the price of local products from local producers.
To my little understanding, i think the inflation has set in.
These ppl in this matter would also make their purchase from some of the foreign products and whether they're the producer or not, it would affect them too in one way or the other.
It's we don't import palm oil, pure-water etc
Wont he/she also buy foreign products?
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by DjAndroid: 11:17am On Feb 23, 2016
EnterPRO:

The matrials for the wrap and the printing are all imported

The materials for the processing are imported

The power generator sets are maintained with imported spare parts.

The vehicles for the distribution are maintained with imported spare parts.

Etc etc.

3 Likes

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Ahmeduana(m): 11:18am On Feb 23, 2016
EnterPRO:

BECAUSE A KILOGRAM OF low density polyethylene (HDPE) IS NOW 900naira FROM 480naira.

3 Likes

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by enigma2007(m): 11:18am On Feb 23, 2016
frisky2good:
Chlorine is imported so expect the price of swimming to go up too soon grin

Then i look for a river or lagoon to swim in
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by osimataylor(m): 11:19am On Feb 23, 2016
GurlFriend:
A blog reader sent us this mail and picture

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/02/greedy-nigerians-cashing-in-on-rising.html
This is a contrived piece.The author just pieced one and one together to make up the article.We know people take advantage of the dollar situation but not the way the writer puts it.Pure exaggeration and lies.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by ceejay80s(m): 11:19am On Feb 23, 2016
oloruntoba77:
I board a bike and the bike man told me I'm paying #150 for were I normally talk for #100. I ask him why? He said dollar rise. I think Government need to sensitise the people to avoid unnecessary exploitation.
Which govt? The ones that don't give a shiit about anybody,
They all have 2 suckAwell , one for shiit and the other for hiding our stolen billions, even if pure water na 10k her bag , they can still afford it
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Nobody: 11:19am On Feb 23, 2016
But this isnt fair na, palmoil is produced locally, wheres the dollar connection.

People even use discarded eva containers and old engine oil jerrycans to put the palm oil. naija embarassed
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by dunkem21(m): 11:20am On Feb 23, 2016
Obiagelli:

This one na pure greed. A result of a single comodity dependant nation.

989900:
While the increases might be over-the-top, you can't contain the natural ripple effect.
The fish seller is gon' want to buy some imported equipment, an imported phone, imported vehicle, imported power generator, probably go to conferences or the like outside the country; same goes for your landlord.

..and an imported bra n pant wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by heniford(m): 11:20am On Feb 23, 2016
Look their its something you guys dnt understand about this situation she sale palm oil she transported it to market she brought those can she used in sales those cans the are raw material which Nigeria bought from foreign countries and come back to Nigeria to manufacture them in here the cn't asses those things know because of no dollar to do so even pure water waterproof maker import some of the major things use in producing it dn't blame the old women blame policies invoke
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by able20(m): 11:21am On Feb 23, 2016
lifestyle1:
Still, Nigeria will be great again.
Of course, that's after Buhari and his gangs are gone and never to come back.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria / My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) / Profitable Small Business Ideas For Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.