Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,055 members, 7,814,630 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate (39534 Views)

Naira To Dollar Exchange Rate From 1972-2017 Will Amaze You (photos) / Dollar Exchange Rate As At This Evening / Naira To Dollar Exchange Rate As At 1983 (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Excelboi(m): 12:28pm On Feb 23, 2016
EnterPRO:
the one I don't understand is pure water. why should price of water double overnight? even in Lagos.

are we importing that one too?
The nylon is not gotten for free... They re usually imported and prices of the nylon keep skyrocketing almost everyday...

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by sunsewa: 12:31pm On Feb 23, 2016
GurlFriend:
A blog reader sent us this mail and picture

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/02/greedy-nigerians-cashing-in-on-rising.html

they maximize their local products price in order to afford buying foreign imported items they need,even egg is now #40 per one.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by persius555(m): 12:42pm On Feb 23, 2016
tobiasbeecher:
The writer who wrote this is not too savvy as to how the economy works. Though not an economist, but my elementary knowledge of economics tells me that there is what they call the multiplier effect! The multiplier effect is a concept in economics that describes how an injection into an economy, such as an increase in government spending, creates a ripple effect which increases employment and the output of goods and services in the economy. So vice versa, if there is an increase in the price of dollars (which has been the major currency in most of our business transactions), the resultant effect will be an increase in prices of virtually every commodity in Nigeria. The writer failed to understand that the woman palm oil seller has to transport the said oil to the urban market and probably the transporter must have increased the price of his fares because the last time he went to change his tyres and fuel pump, he has to buy them at 20% price increase because the dealer has to increase price because of scarcity of dollars. This goes around and happens in virtually all sectors of the economy. So the woman palm oil seller may not be wrong after all!

Every nairalander coming up with his/her own juju economic theory.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by BobUg28(m): 12:53pm On Feb 23, 2016
afroniger:
Biko, since Nigerians can't seem to live without dollars, why don't we scrap the naira and kukuma be spending dollars na?! Because this insatiable appetite and demand for dollar as if our lives depend on it is the primary cause of the loss of the naira value. I can't shout.

You are even talking about Pure water that has to do production. . .What of Orange we are used to buying five pieces for 100, but now it's either you buy three for hundred naira or five for one hundred and fifty naira.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by BobUg28(m): 12:56pm On Feb 23, 2016
PLANETMARS:
ur blog reader Is a goat why won't the price of the local oil go up? she should sell at normal rate won't she buy other goods that the pricce hhas sky rocketed? bros tink am na

Must you use such words before you make your contributions SmartBoy?

Nigerians shaa! Always adding to our problems. Smh...
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Aptitude89(m): 1:02pm On Feb 23, 2016
Meat too increased effect of dollar
Do we import cow too ni grin
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by jmand(m): 1:04pm On Feb 23, 2016
Glory be to the owner of everything Almighty God, He already knows the situation we are experiencing at the moment. Only His help and assist we needed. God bless you Mr. President, God bless my home, our land, our nation Nigeria
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by ooshinibos: 1:19pm On Feb 23, 2016
dguizman:
The house rent stuff got me cracking, that's the situation we find our self in this country.

maybe the landlord is paying his mortgage in dollars
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by ronaldbecky(m): 1:25pm On Feb 23, 2016
braine:
Same here. Bag of pure water is now N150 from N80, thats over 90% increase! Do we import water too?
hmmm go lekki.1 bag na N500
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by myopinion2011: 1:26pm On Feb 23, 2016
Bevista:
I don't think it's completely out of place for folks to increase the price of their goods and services, even though there is no direct FX input.
---
The reality is that these business men/women patronize other goods/services which have increased in prices due to dollar effect. As a result, they have to re-price their items so they can generate enough income to meet the rising price of other items. For instance, mama Nkechi (who sells palm oil or pure water) might need to buy Sardine which has increased from N150 - N200, or replace lost phone which has increased from N20k - N30k, or buy her son a laptop which has increased from N70k - N120k.
---
A high exchange rate usually gives rise to (imported) inflation. Should the CBN officially devalues the Naira and fuel price increases, then the inflation will become official. Everything in the market will respond instantaneously with price increase. The REAL value of your salaries will become less since it can now only buy a fraction of what it used to buy.
---
Strike action looming from NLC demanding wage increase. Employers will resist, complaining that rising wage will add to the already rising cost of business. SMH!
wiseone, I was abt leaving d thread wen I saw ur comment. thanks for ur enlightenment, it unfortunate people create thread with little or no research.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by PrinceEvolution(m): 1:37pm On Feb 23, 2016
den u are in 4 a shock..lol
dominique:
A lot of stores are taking advantage of the the exchange rate to hike the price of items they had in stock months before the dollars rise

I don't want to believe that this really happened.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by ThoniaSlim(f): 1:41pm On Feb 23, 2016
Red oil is even better. The Ugu woman close to me increased a bundle from 50 to 100 and blamed it on dollar rise. Please wetin concern Ugu concern dollar!
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Creamish(f): 1:47pm On Feb 23, 2016
ThoniaSlim:
Red oil is even better. The Ugo woman close to me increased a bundle from 50 to 100 and blamed it on dollar rise. Please wetin concern Ugu concern dollar!

Yeah..heard a mallam hawking sugarcane did the same thing..

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by tefund(m): 1:51pm On Feb 23, 2016
kilokeys:
Dem dey mad for that country

The good thing is....

Na we we..

Shebi, the woman go buy pure water and other thingz.. She earns more, she spends more..

Now ehn.. I don increase my vexation.. Idiots wey suppose collect 1 slap for talking trash for NL go collect 3. angry angry angry
increasing price is bad for eveyone,they wont think with their brain

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by vivavik(f): 2:07pm On Feb 23, 2016
What I don't understand is how the said "dollar" controls our local market, imagine in rumuokuta market portharcourt the rise of dollar is affecting crayfish. Wetin concern our locally made products and dollars? Shows that an average Nigerian is greedy and an opportunist. Na God go help us
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Yehman(m): 2:07pm On Feb 23, 2016
EnterPRO:
the one I don't understand is pure water. why should price of water double overnight? even in Lagos.

That's crazy and one way thinking. How good is your economics? Oga/madam, the hyper-inflation is now having a snow ball effect on every other items. So u don't know that the old woman also have her own needs to meet up with. If she doesn't increase the price of her palm oil, where will she get money to top up her expenditures on imported goods.

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Yehman(m): 2:09pm On Feb 23, 2016
debbie:
The price of bag of pure water in lagos has increased....please what is our problem in Nigeria? we are terrible opportunists.
That's crazy and one way thinking. How good is your economics? Oga/madam, the hyper-inflation is now having a snow ball effect on every other items. So u don't know that the old woman also have her own needs to meet up with. If she doesn't increase the price of her palm oil, where will she get money to top up her expenditures on imported goods.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Yehman(m): 2:11pm On Feb 23, 2016
UrbanMystique:
Exactly.. I was about to start a thread similar to this one.

I wanted to buy boli and groundnut yesterday, the woman was telling dollar ti won, seriously?

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by dguizman(m): 2:13pm On Feb 23, 2016
ooshinibos:

maybe the landlord is paying his mortgage in dollars
lol...you never can tell.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Mbediogu(m): 2:18pm On Feb 23, 2016
[quote author=dominique post=43172488]A lot of stores are taking advantage of the the exchange rate to hike the price of items they had in stock months before the dollars rise

I don't want to believe that this really happened.[/quote
Believe it or not but it happened at Mbakas church at Emene Enugu. We were there.

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by joseph1832(m): 2:26pm On Feb 23, 2016
Creamish:

Yeah..heard a mallam hawking sugarcane did the same thing..
LMFAO! Nigerians will always use lame ass excuses to increase the price of any and everything. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Creamish(f): 2:29pm On Feb 23, 2016
joseph1832:
LMFAO! Nigerians will always use lame ass excuses to increase the price of any and everything. Lol.

I juss tire... Same thing happened during the Ebola crisis.. the price of Salt, kola and sanitizers tripled. Opportunists everywhere... undecided
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by olamide452(f): 2:36pm On Feb 23, 2016
the ugu woman used to buy rice for #130 per derica but now it's #180 what do u expect dear quote author=ThoniaSlim post=43178720]Red oil is even better. The Ugu woman close to me increased a bundle from 50 to 100 and blamed it on dollar rise. Please wetin concern Ugu concern dollar![/quote]
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by joseph1832(m): 2:41pm On Feb 23, 2016
Creamish:

I juss tire... Same thing happened during the Ebola crisis.. the price of Salt, kola and sanitizers tripled. Opportunists everywhere... undecided
Its the basic idea of the typical nigerian to always seek out opportunities, which he will use to rip people off.

This opportunist mentality is most prevalent in Lagos. Its among the reason I wrote the poem "This is Lagos". Everybody just too get sense for gidi. Lol.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by 2scorehigh(m): 3:13pm On Feb 23, 2016
During recession, people use two main approaches to make more money:

i) The stupïd approach
ii) The smart approach

Sadly, most Nigerians use the stupïd approach, which is why prices are skyrocketing.

The irony in it all is that we will all end up paying for all these price increments, in one way or the other.

To read more: How to Make A lot of Money During Recession Using Smart Approach
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by joinnow: 3:14pm On Feb 23, 2016
EnterPRO:

They import the nylon

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by yorex2011: 3:17pm On Feb 23, 2016
GurlFriend:

what you fail to understand is that the "mama" buys things from the market or other places that are directly affected by reduced value of naira. so the only way for her to continue to survive is to increase her income (price of goods she sells) so as to offset the increased expenditure she incurres from other basic wants and needs
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by naijathings(m): 3:25pm On Feb 23, 2016
Bevista:
If the company you work for is already experiencing a challenging business environment due to the rising cost of other factor inputs, how do you think they will react to your demands for wage increase?

i don't work on salary basis. but assuming i was working then I can say one day, very soon, if the naira keeps sinking and dragging the country & economy down with it salary earners will cry out. rich country, sad country
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by ibietela2(m): 3:50pm On Feb 23, 2016
GurlFriend:

demdem the i too know, what did i tell you?
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by udysweet(f): 3:51pm On Feb 23, 2016
I tell you! Flimsy excuses! Bread sold for 220 now 250!from 80naira to 150!As for d water,me I'll stat boiling borehole and storing in d fridge,I cnt shout
debbie:
The price of bag of pure water in lagos has increased....please what is our problem in Nigeria? we are terrible opportunists.

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Nobody: 3:53pm On Feb 23, 2016
The truth is that inflation of dollar has an effect on evertin. But the lenght at which Nigerians use the influence of dollar to prey on each other is alarming. Instead of 5% increase, greedy, wicked, corrupt, and brainless blacks will seize d opportunity and make it 15%. Imagine Rent increase, dollar dat jst started appreciatin of recent... we dnt want to help each other at all, yet we wnt a better Nigeria. Ewu Monkeys... They want to frustrate Buhari's administratn not knwin they are frustratin demselv, Buhari has already lived his life o. Even do he dies today he has nofin to lose.

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by jutino(f): 4:07pm On Feb 23, 2016
The above op have said it all,went to dutse alhaji market in abuja today the price of beans I bought last week for #250 per module is now 300,rice was 350 but now selling for 450 even the our local rice we produce is now 300 per module something dat used to be sold for 200,I was so angry I told d guy selling please I need the foreign beans not nigeria own so what is the need of the #buynigeriatogrowdnaira

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Air Peace: Fresh Facts Reveal Legitimate Aircraft Purchase / Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria / My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.