Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,056 members, 7,814,633 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate (39535 Views)

Naira To Dollar Exchange Rate From 1972-2017 Will Amaze You (photos) / Dollar Exchange Rate As At This Evening / Naira To Dollar Exchange Rate As At 1983 (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by richard870(m): 11:21am On Feb 23, 2016
GurlFriend:
A blog reader sent us this mail and picture

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/02/greedy-nigerians-cashing-in-on-rising.html
@Op, the simple answer to that is RIPPLE EFFECT
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Baroba(m): 11:21am On Feb 23, 2016
Clone2020:
You call it greed and I call it capitalism. At the end of the day, the market determines the price. Maybe the cost of the plastic bottles used in storing the oil has increased? Maybe the cost of importing the processors used in separating the oil from the shaft has increased? When the economy tanks, it affects most sectors one way or another.

Na you sabi the dynamics of economics ...
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by thefakestan: 11:21am On Feb 23, 2016
Krismart:
How can Nigeria produce when there is no electricity? Even petrol that Nigeria has is being imported

You mean crude oil, Well we have NoLLyWood and other industries.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Ahmeduana(m): 11:21am On Feb 23, 2016
Koleman:
Hahaha. Even shoe cobblers and mai ruwa are adding prices. If you ask them, na dollar cause am.
BECAUSE THEY ALSO PATRONISE THE LOW ENDS OF IMPORTED GOOD WHICH THEY ALSO PAY FOR THE HIGH PRICE.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by fexyrich(m): 11:22am On Feb 23, 2016
debbie:
The price of bag of pure water in lagos has increased....please what is our problem in Nigeria? we are terrible opportunists.
My dear sorry to say this why is it that many of us talk unintelligently at times..why wouldn't prices increase? Do you know what it means when they say dollar rate is now higher and naira has been devalued?? It just means that the 1000naira u had before is now 500naira.it also means that if ur salary was 200k per month it has now become 100k..cos naira has devalued in double fold..its is simple economics..so if you were buying a bag of pure water at 100naira before don't be surprised if it now becomes 200naira cos all these bruhaha only means that what 100naira could buy before u would need 200naira to buy it now..so its very normal for prices to increase and even double at this time..That is the change we want as nigerians and now we'v got it..

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by fexyrich(m): 11:22am On Feb 23, 2016
debbie:
The price of bag of pure water in lagos has increased....please what is our problem in Nigeria? we are terrible opportunists.
My dear sorry to say this why is it that many of us talk unintelligently at times..why wouldn't prices increase? Do you know what it means when they say dollar rate is now higher and naira has been devalued?? It just means that the 1000naira u had before is now 500naira.it also means that if ur salary was 200k per month it has now worth 100k..cos what 200k could buy b4, u would now need 400k to purchase same tin..all these is cos naira has devalued in double fold..its is simple economics..so if you were buying a bag of pure water at 100naira before don't be surprised if it now becomes 200naira cos all these bruhaha only means that what 100naira could buy before u would need 200naira to buy it now..so its very normal for prices to increase and even double at this time..That is the change we want as nigerians and now we'v got it..Nonsense!!
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by frisky2good(m): 11:22am On Feb 23, 2016
grin

enigma2007:

Then i look for a river or lagoon to swim in
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Realfiness(m): 11:23am On Feb 23, 2016
I and my friend, at half time of Chelsea Vs Manc match decided to buy oranges only to discover the woman selling fruits hv added money and complained that dollar is d problem. Even when I went to buy padlock key I was left very surprised at the price of a small key, all in the shadow of dollar hike. it is well with us, Nigeria has been made for tough times so we will survive this.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by dallyemmy: 11:23am On Feb 23, 2016
That is common sense
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by viktor01(m): 11:24am On Feb 23, 2016
But our respective sources of income especially salary earners remains fixed.
This not fair on Nigerians at all not to mention our savings in the banks that are losing value
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by iwakacome: 11:25am On Feb 23, 2016
And with all these hikes in the prices of commodities, you still get home with the same pay cheque, that can't afford to sustain you for the whole month. My pain is that the masses feel the heat of the downslide in the economy, while the so called decision makers don't even line up to buy fuel, they don't go to the market, they don't even buy pure water to know some people can't affored these things again. Or how do you expect a security man or cleaner with a family of 5 mouths to survive?
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Malawian(m): 11:25am On Feb 23, 2016
GurlFriend:

to the foolish blogger, so if the woman sells her wares at "local" prices, she will then go and borrow money to buy the other things she needs that are regulated by the rising dollar?
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Truckpusher(m): 11:25am On Feb 23, 2016
lifestyle1:
Still, Nigeria will be great again.
Was Nigeria ever great ? When did this greatness take place please? undecided
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by honeric01(m): 11:26am On Feb 23, 2016
tobiasbeecher:
The writer who wrote this is not too savvy as to how the economy works. Though not an economist, but my elementary knowledge of economics tells me that there is what they call the multiplier effect! The multiplier effect is a concept in economics that describes how an injection into an economy, such as an increase in government spending, creates a ripple effect which increases employment and the output of goods and services in the economy. So vice versa, if there is an increase in the price of dollars (which has been the major currency in most of our business transactions), the resultant effect will be an increase in prices of virtually every commodity in Nigeria. The writer failed to understand that the woman palm oil seller has to transport the said oil to the urban market and probably the transporter must have increased the price of his fares because the last time he went to change his tyres and fuel pump, he has to buy them at 20% price increase because the dealer has to increase price because of scarcity of dollars. This goes around and happens in virtually all sectors of the economy. So the woman palm oil seller may not be wrong after all!

Sorry o but what exactly are the items related to dollars the people in the rural area buy (where most foodstuffs come from)?

Let's keep deceiving ourselves with long grammar.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by kogirodent: 11:27am On Feb 23, 2016
The amount of ignorance displayed on this thread is too much. I suggest this post be closed down. If you cant see why prices will have to increase then perhaps u should go back to study elementary economics. As long as the palm oil seller buys goods from the market at inflated prices, the price of her palm oil will have to increase. The fall of the Naira has a huge ripple effect on all sectors of the economy and such prices increase. Why do you guys think Zimbabweans were going shopping with bags of cash a few years ago? It was because the zimbabwean dollar lost its value and prices went up, at the end folks were purchasing bags of sugar for about 6 million Zim dollars. I cant be bothered to explain the technicalities.

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Fecolity: 11:29am On Feb 23, 2016
Clone2020:
You call it greed and I call it capitalism. At the end of the day, the market determines the price. Maybe the cost of the plastic bottles used in storing the oil has increased? Maybe the cost of importing the processors used in separating the oil from the shaft has increased? When the economy tanks, it affects most sectors one way or another.
Even when dey have those things on ground before the hike?
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by delightf(f): 11:29am On Feb 23, 2016
A bag of water is 150,170 sotel me the old woman too ve to increase her goods,itis well buhari leadersip is causeing a lot of pains
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by alt3r3g0: 11:29am On Feb 23, 2016
Clone2020:

You call it greed but no none forced you to buy that goat milk from that particular vendor. It's likely he's the only goat milk seller in the area. Without competition, every business man or woman would try to make gazillion percent profit. If he's price is too high, why are you patronizing him??

Never said i did. Boycotting these greedy people if possible, rather than patronizing and encouraging their greed is the way to go angry
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by ogawisdom(m): 11:31am On Feb 23, 2016
GurlFriend:

Dt woman is very right, before now she can buy pressing iron for 4500 but now it is 6000 hw can she survive. Op u r jst an idi.ot nt to understand y her palm oil even though locally made should added serious money BC of dollar rise. Dt woman answered u but ur blocked brains can't understand she said n I quote everything has added money BC of dollar rise, do u think she doesn't use her money to buy other things in d market angry
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Nicepoker(m): 11:31am On Feb 23, 2016
Funny nigerians. You sell palm oil cheap. And buy tomatoe paste and rice expensive. So u expect the old woman to continue selling her palm oil cheap for you? Op you are a thief. Just joking o.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by tobiasbeecher: 11:31am On Feb 23, 2016
honeric01:

Sorry o but what exactly are the items related to dollars the people in the rural area buy (where most foodstuffs come from)?

If you read what i wrote you will see the example i gave. That's why i brought the concept of multiplier effect. Read and understand

1 Like

Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by uzolexis(f): 11:33am On Feb 23, 2016
honeric01:

pls Nigeria imports virtually everything....down to toothpick. rice is imported,clothes are imported from china, sardine,phones etc,are you trying to say pple in the rural areas don't need these things
there is no grammer in this,this is simply economics multiplier effect and any country heavily dependent on import will experience such in a similar situation.
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by kaybee88(m): 11:33am On Feb 23, 2016
PLANETMARS:
ur blog reader Is a goat why won't the price of the local oil go up? she should sell at normal rate won't she buy other goods that the pricce hhas sky rocketed? bros tink am na
must you insult before you make your point? Too childish
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by lifestyle1(m): 11:35am On Feb 23, 2016
Truckpusher:
Was Nigeria ever great ? When did this greatness take place please? undecided
Yes, read your history book. cool
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by lifestyle1(m): 11:36am On Feb 23, 2016
tensazangetsu:

Was Nigeria ever great?

Yes. cool
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by hahn(m): 11:36am On Feb 23, 2016
dominique:
A lot of stores are taking advantage of the the exchange rate to hike the price of items they had in stock months before the dollars rise

I don't want to believe that this really happened.

Better believe it. I have experienced worse undecided
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by opey112(m): 11:37am On Feb 23, 2016
We are our own worst enemy...
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by ogawisdom(m): 11:37am On Feb 23, 2016
ogawisdom:

Dt woman is very right, before now she can buy pressing iron for 4500 but now it is 6000 hw can she survive. Op u r jst an idi.ot nt to understand y her palm oil even though locally made should added serious money BC of dollar rise. Dt woman answered u but ur blocked head can't understand she said n I quote everything has added money BC of dollar rise, do u think she doesn't use her money to buy other things in d market angry
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by PLANETMARS(m): 11:37am On Feb 23, 2016
kaybee88:
must you insult before you make your point? Too childish
that's why it's my point asshole
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by thaoriginator: 11:39am On Feb 23, 2016
Nwanem, the thing tires me oh! Yesterday ï went to purchase a parsue of marijuana (high-grade) which I normally buy @100/p, only to find out that the price has skyrocketed to double. I no get choice, man must high grincry
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Nobody: 11:41am On Feb 23, 2016
lifestyle1:

Yes. cool
When
Re: Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate by Nobody: 11:41am On Feb 23, 2016
na wa oooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Air Peace: Fresh Facts Reveal Legitimate Aircraft Purchase / Thread For Bakery Owners And Intending Owners In Nigeria / My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.