Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Nigeria Is Missing On The Top 10 Most Competitive Sub-saharan African Economies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is Missing On The Top 10 Most Competitive Sub-saharan African Economies (795 Views)

Jimoh Ibrahim & Olusola Oke’s Names Missing On INEC's Final List / World Bank Predicts 1.6% Fall For African Economies / Effects Of Brexit Results On The African Largest Economies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is Missing On The Top 10 Most Competitive Sub-saharan African Economies by duketunde: 1:29pm On Feb 23, 2016
I was just surfing the internet jejely on my own when i stumbled of the list of 10 most competitive economies in sub-Saharan Africa of the 2015-2016 edition of the Global Competitiveness Index and what surprised me is that Nigeria doesn't make the list contrary to what Nigerian government is saying that Nigeria's economy is the best and fastest growing in Africa.

According to the index, Mauritius tops the list ranking 46th out of 140 in the overall ranking and second on the list is South Africa that ranks 49th in the world. See Photo chart below:

I believe it's time that President Buhari sit at home and put his economy team to work, because no investor will come and invest in an economy on the verge of collapse. His frequent worldwide is already taking its tolls on the national purse and the level of decadence in infrastructure is at an all high.

Will you support a National Economic Conference as proposed by Prof. Wole Soyinka at this time?
- See more at: http://www.duketundesblog.com/2016/02/nigeria-is-missing-on-top-10-most-competitive.html#sthash.lkJKQn4w.dpuf

1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is Missing On The Top 10 Most Competitive Sub-saharan African Economies by Emekamex(m): 1:33pm On Feb 23, 2016
Our economy has been battered since the crude oil price drop. It is quite pathetic that we are yet to harness agricultural exports and other natural resources.
Re: Nigeria Is Missing On The Top 10 Most Competitive Sub-saharan African Economies by Shiifi(m): 1:33pm On Feb 23, 2016
Oya now d call dis missing wen baba x busy searching all over the world just to know wer PDP really kept our future

#PDP don sell us
Re: Nigeria Is Missing On The Top 10 Most Competitive Sub-saharan African Economies by SoNature(m): 2:17pm On Feb 23, 2016
Don't get Nigerian government wrong because they did not use the word BEST.

Nigeria's economy was "rebased" under GEJ by Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. Rebasing it means taking into considering those sectors (informal sector if you like) that were hitherto ignored by government when GDP and other economic yardsticks were measured.

They realized, after rebasing, that Nigeria's economy was the LARGEST in Africa. I think that rebasing process covered many informal sectors, earnings from Nollywood, music industry, etc
Re: Nigeria Is Missing On The Top 10 Most Competitive Sub-saharan African Economies by duketunde: 5:16pm On Feb 23, 2016
Your take tho, but blimme no investor will come here if things get worse than this, remember what happened to Greece, if we can sort our economy woes from here those he's visiting for help can't either my take... wink
SoNature:
Don't get Nigerian government wrong because they did not use the word BEST.

Nigeria's economy was "rebased" under GEJ by Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. Rebasing it means taking into considering those sectors (informal sector if you like) that were hitherto ignored by government when GDP and other economic yardsticks were measured.

They realized, after rebasing, that Nigeria's economy was the LARGEST in Africa. I think that rebasing process covered many informal sectors, earnings from Nollywood, music industry, etc
Re: Nigeria Is Missing On The Top 10 Most Competitive Sub-saharan African Economies by HiddenShadow: 5:18pm On Feb 23, 2016
All thanks to Buhari a curse called blessing by the so called sophisticated people
Re: Nigeria Is Missing On The Top 10 Most Competitive Sub-saharan African Economies by SoNature(m): 5:20pm On Feb 23, 2016
duketunde:
Your take tho, but blimme no investor will come here if things get worse than this, remember what happened to Greece, if we can sort our economy woes from here those he's visiting for help can't either my take... wink

It is NOT my take, please; I'm correcting a misconception. BTW, you are right about investors.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Missing On The Top 10 Most Competitive Sub-saharan African Economies by SoNature(m): 5:29pm On Feb 23, 2016
HiddenShadow:
All thanks to Buhari a curse called blessing by the so called sophisticated people

The deed has been done. Let's move on, biko...it hav do grin...we should be praying that things become right and better because if Buhari fails, we shall all suffer it.

You can't divorce yourself from the bad economic conditions of the country where you live. BTW, GEJ had his flaws that made his govt really unpopular with many people.

Nigeria needs collective prayers, not blame game

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

23,846 Ghost Workers And N2.29 Saved: The Only Way We Should Believe This. / My Take On The Ese Oruru Story / I'm Daring Wailers/ipob To Find Something To Wail About On Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.