Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,412 members, 7,822,923 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Nigeria Sucks On Programming. - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nigeria Sucks On Programming. (6396 Views)

Let's Be Honest Php Sucks When Building Enterprise Applications / Ebooks On Programming and Other Fields / Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by seunthomas: 7:16pm On Feb 24, 2016
Well though i quite respect all the views here. I want to state categorically that its challenges that bring about creativity and innovation. Its when there is an atmosphere of mature competition that we see progress. As for my beef with @dhtml18 its a mature way of stressing our mind. The drama just makes it more interesting. At the end of the day win or lose both of us should be able to appreciate each other. I think we need that in Nigeria rather than foreign hero worship, who knows we just might make some legends on this forum.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by Nobody: 8:43pm On Feb 24, 2016
seunthomas:
@dhtml18 just makes a lot of noise no action. Come for the challenge na. I am getting in-patient.......
Lol... Guys get it going na!
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by seunthomas: 8:46pm On Feb 24, 2016
ILoveMakonen:
Lol... Guys get it going na!
Abeg the guy no get craze self. Na code thiefer.... I dey expose am for my thread. lol
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by Nobody: 8:51pm On Feb 24, 2016
seunthomas:

Abeg the guy no get craze self. Na code thiefer.... I dey expose am for my thread. lol
Hahaha! He thief ur code??
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by omohayek: 9:48pm On Feb 24, 2016
One thing to keep in mind, amidst all the talk of Github as some sort of proof of programming skills, is that there are many programmers who simply don't have the spare time or the need to engage in such hobby projects. After spending 8 hours or more coding at work, some people simply prefer to do something else with their spare time, especially if they have families.

Anyway, getting back to the main issue, I'm not sure why you need to find a PHP programmer in the first place. Aren't there plenty of free tutorials on the web that you can work through? Besides, there are far better programming languages around than PHP - any one of C#, Java, Python or Ruby would be a decent choice for your first language, and a quick Google search will bring up plenty of free tools and tutorials for these languages.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by seunthomas: 10:35pm On Feb 24, 2016
omohayek:
One thing to keep in mind, amidst all the talk of Github as some sort of proof of programming skills, is that there are many programmers who simply don't have the spare time or the need to engage in such hobby projects. After spending 8 hours or more coding at work, some people simply prefer to do something else with their spare time, especially if they have families.

Anyway, getting back to the main issue, I'm not sure why you need to find a PHP programmer in the first place. Aren't there plenty of free tutorials on the web that you can work through? Besides, there are far better programming languages around than PHP - any one of C#, Java, Python or Ruby would be a decent choice for your first language, and a quick Google search will bring up plenty of free tools and tutorials for these languages.
@omohayek Help me tell them ohhh. Abi make i dey put company intellectual property online all because i wan prove say i can code...
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by silento(m): 11:04pm On Feb 24, 2016
DanielTheGeek:
We are talking about the bad programming aura here but someone is still talking about a hackathon, to prove or do what?
Hackathons are for happy and respectful programmers and not a challenge comp
Please don't start the chest beating.

Let us all respect ourselves as programmers, we can collaborate and build things together.
My plans for this board is an open source project we all can contribute to and fork on github.

Good but na old story for nl and are u not the guy who emailed me and I reply u since last month uptil now I never hear from you that shows How bad u will suck with deadline

Maybe if u want us to develop some thing together start first by tell us what the software will do followed by prototype

And @dhtml u are one of the worst coder that nl has

With all the years u have been into coding u have nothing worth to show only script u got
And discouraging young devs

Be warned not all coders sucks like u

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by FincoApps(m): 12:10am On Feb 25, 2016
seunthomas:
Well though i quite respective all the views here. I want to state categorically that its challenges that bring about creativity and innovation. Its when there is an atmosphere of mature competition that we see progress. As for my beef with @dhtml18 its a mature way of stressing our mind. The drama just makes it more interesting. At the end of the day win or lose both of us should be able to appreciate each other. I think we need that in Nigeria rather than foreign hero worship, who knows we just might make some legends on this forum.

Wow so you can sound serious like this smiley_(Y)
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by seunthomas: 12:17am On Feb 25, 2016
FincoApps:

Wow so you can sound serious like this smiley_(Y)
I thought i was always serious. Anyways when the coding gets tough, one needs to play around so as not to lose sanity........
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by Nobody: 12:39am On Feb 25, 2016
silento:

Good but na old story for nl and are u not the guy who emailed me and I reply u since last month uptil now I never hear from you that shows How bad u will suck with deadline

Maybe if u want us to develop some thing together start first by tell us what the software will do followed by prototype

And @dhtml u are one of the worst coder that nl has

With all the years u have been into coding u have nothing worth to show only script u got
And discouraging young devs

Be warned not all coders sucks like u
Goodness gracious. . . . . .you are highly uninformed and have let prejudice blind you. But pray, tell us what you have to show.
Even seunthomas that has been fumbling is yet to show anything, zip, zero. Search nairaland properly, you will find many of my contribs. What you have that are talking big contributed?
Please do research properly before you speak so that when you actually speak, you say something a bit sensible.

And contrary to what you may think, I actually encourage and help young developers, and have even trained quite a number of people i met on this same board to become independent developers. Really, you do not know what you say at all, I am rather shocked. Possible you are simply jealous at all the attention i am getting, it is not my fault really. . . . .maybe if you sef work hard, people go like you small, instead of all these senseless beefing.

If i am not interested in helping other developers like you claim, then what is the vision of www.Nairaland.com ?
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by Nobody: 12:45am On Feb 25, 2016
seunthomas:

I thought i was always serious. Anyways when the coding gets tough, one needs to play around so as not to lose sanity........
So says the maestro. . . .
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by okeyxyz(m): 12:50am On Feb 25, 2016
dammytosh:

If i may advise you. QUIT PHP.

Pick Java or Dot Net. Thank me much later.

What are you talking about? What's wrong with PHP?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by webdevgod: 12:51am On Feb 25, 2016
How much do Web Developers in Nigeria get paid per annum?

I was told 100k naira is the max, but in pounds thats £360.

An apprentice in london gets paid that much per week... [color=#FFFF00]grin
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by seunthomas: 12:58am On Feb 25, 2016
webdevgod:

LOL very funny. My last salary at 2010 was twice that figure and i know a lot of people who earn more than that right now. It all depends on skillsets. Good things is programmers are now paid at per with some countries around the world. No programmer earns 100k per annum, the least you can get for programmers this days would be 480-500k per annum and a lot of people earn over 2m per annum this days.
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by webdevgod: 1:04am On Feb 25, 2016
seunthomas:

LOL very funny. My last salary at 2010 was twice that figure and i know a lot of people who earn more than that right now. It all depends on skillsets. Good things is programmers are now paid at per with some countries around the world. No programmer earns 100k per annum, the least you can get for programmers this days would be 480-500k per annum and a lot of people earn over 2m per annum this days.

Compared to other countries like UK and US, Nigerians are getting underpaid the way I see it. What's the max per annum a dev gets paid in Nigeria?

Here in London, the max that I know of is £100k pounds..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by seunthomas: 1:08am On Feb 25, 2016
webdevgod:

Compared to other countries like UK and US, Nigerians are getting underpaid the way I see it. What's the max per annum a dev gets paid in Nigeria?

Any programmer that earns that much is definately going to be senior management.
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by Fulaman198(m): 1:38am On Feb 25, 2016
webdevgod:

100K pounds would definitely be something a Senior is making I heard that the average for a Dev/Programmer in the UK is more around the lines of 45K to 50K pounds.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by Nobody: 4:08am On Feb 25, 2016
seunthomas:
Well though i quite respect all the views here. I want to state categorically that its challenges that bring about creativity and innovation. Its when there is an atmosphere of mature competition that we see progress. As for my beef with @dhtml18 its a mature way of stressing our mind. The drama just makes it more interesting. At the end of the day win or lose both of us should be able to appreciate each other. I think we need that in Nigeria rather than foreign hero worship, who knows we just might make some legends on this forum.
Yep, i completely agree with you on this one.
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by dammytosh: 6:31am On Feb 25, 2016
okeyxyz:

What are you talking about? What's wrong with PHP?

PHP skill is common and cheap as far as the Nigerian Market is concerned.

Not many serious organization will value your PHP skills and compensate it monetarily the way they should.

Nothing is wrong with PHP as a language. I av been in the industry for a while so i think i know what i am saying.
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by dammytosh: 6:34am On Feb 25, 2016
webdevgod:

An apprentice in london gets paid that much per week... cheesy

Who lied to you, i know developers who earn over a million Naira per month.

Don't just sit there and be saukng wat u know notin about jare.
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by Nobody: 7:17am On Feb 25, 2016
webdevgod:

That's low. I thought it was up to 700k that a guy developed an app for an organization.
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by Nobody: 7:24am On Feb 25, 2016
dammytosh:

He was lied to like seriously! 100k? Or 1000k sef?
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by Nobody: 8:05am On Feb 25, 2016
I earn ehm N 5,000 / month. . . . .that is why i do free-browsing
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by omohayek: 9:21am On Feb 25, 2016
Fulaman198:

100K pounds would definitely be something a Senior is making I heard that the average for a Dev/Programmer in the UK is more around the lines of 45K to 50K pounds.

Yes, that's about what a junior to medium-level Java/.Net developer will earn nowadays. Senior developers and contractors can earn considerably more, though.
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by webdevgod: 2:15pm On Feb 25, 2016
dammytosh:

I asked somebody in Nigeria, and they gave me that figure. I was just curious to know.

If devs in Naija are earning 1m and over, then thats alright.
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by webdevgod: 2:19pm On Feb 25, 2016
ILoveMakonen:
He was lied to like seriously! 100k? Or 1000k sef?

Well its not really a lie.

If you look on most Nigeria recruitment sites, most salary I have seen is 400k a YEAR.

There isn't enough stats to suggest that devs in Nigeria are earning 1mill a month. What companies are paying that that much?
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by webdevgod: 2:22pm On Feb 25, 2016
Fulaman198:

Yeah, senior devs get paid 80-100k and over.

Junior devs get paid on average 18-30k

Mid devs get paid 30-80k

Depends on which company you work for, but most Development companies pay really well here. What about Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 25, 2016
webdevgod:

If you look on most Nigeria recruitment sites, most salary I have seen is 400k a YEAR.

There isn't enough stats to suggest that devs in Nigeria are earning 1mill a month. What companies are paying that that much?
This was what originally formed this thread topik. Softwares dev is the best. U finish up ur app nd move to the next one instantly. And not staying in a company that's under paying you.
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by asalimpo(m): 5:23pm On Feb 25, 2016
webdevgod:

I've seen an advertised job for
£200k online . And one where the blogger mentioned in passing $400k ( the coder was into finance ). The most extreme i've read of is a google coder, who is a rockstar, and was paid $3m/year! A company tried to poach him for $500k/yr and he blew them off.

400k/yr is less than 40k/month! That's slavery. Programming is hard enough. Maybe you meant N400k/month
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by webdevgod: 5:44pm On Feb 25, 2016
asalimpo:

I've seen an advertised job for
£200k online . And one where the blogger mentioned in passing $400k ( the coder was into finance ). The most extreme i've read of is a google coder, who is a rockstar, and was paid $3m/year! A company tried to poach him for $500k/yr and he blew them off.

400k/yr is less than 40k/month! That's slavery. Programming is hard enough. Maybe you meant N400k/month

Yes, dev jobs in Europe and America pay very well compared to African countries, hence why it would be quite normal to find a job paying £200k, thats the norm here.

But I dont think the same can be said for Africa, Nigeria so to speak.

When I said, I saw a job being advertised paying N400k a year (£1440.20)..I was refering to this one:
http://www.jobspire.com.ng/job,vacancy,117113,2,Web-Developer-Graphics-Designer,The-Olakunle-Soriyan-Company,Ikeja.html

Even most of the job ads dont mention how you you will get paid grin

This is a junior entry role for a web developer in London paying up to £30k a year (N8.3m)
http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/junior-web-developer-net-newbury-30k/28973985#/jobs/junior-web-developer

Nigeria are paying peanuts man...I actually feel so sorry for Nigerian devs

So those guys claiming to that companies are paying N1m a month, where are these companies, post a link.
Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by asalimpo(m): 6:00pm On Feb 25, 2016
webdevgod:

Yes, dev jobs in Europe and America pay very well compared to African countries, hence why it would be quite normal to find a job paying £200k, thats the norm here.

But I dont think the same can be said for Africa, Nigeria so to speak.

When I said, I saw a job being advertised paying N400k a year (£1440.20)..I was refering to this one:
http://www.jobspire.com.ng/job,vacancy,117113,2,Web-Developer-Graphics-Designer,The-Olakunle-Soriyan-Company,Ikeja.html

Even most of the job ads dont mention how you you will get paid grin

This is a junior entry role for a web developer in London paying up to £30k a year (N8.3m)
http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/junior-web-developer-net-newbury-30k/28973985#/jobs/junior-web-developer

Nigeria are paying peanuts man...I actually feel so sorry for Nigerian devs

So those guys claiming to that companies are paying N1m a month, where are these companies, post a link.
Can you imagine? Common £30k is almost N10m here.
This country is screwed.

Programmers arent respected here. We are more of a consumer economy. Even water would be imported if we had our way. Any programming taking place is support programming. Patching, adding a feature or coding to support business operations (rudimentary). We have no core technological companies. Some people dont even know what a programmer does, they look at you puzzled if you say you are a programmer.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sucks On Programming. by Nobody: 6:11pm On Feb 25, 2016
asalimpo:

Can you imagine? Common £30k is almost N10m here.
This country is screwed.

Programmers arent respected here. We are more of a consumer economy. Even water would be imported if we had our way. Any programming taking place is support programming. Patching, adding a feature or coding to support business operations (rudimentary). We have no core technological companies. Some people dont even know what a programmer does, they look at you puzzled if you say you are a programmer.
It's just a shame

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Practical Introduction To Python Web Programming / Working Or Looking For Foreign Remote Software Developer Job As A Nigerian? / So What Happened To Andela In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.