Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,976 members, 7,817,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? (6009 Views)

Uk-based Wife Disrupts Wedding Between Her Husband & New Wife - pics / My Father's Advice To Me When I Was Searching For A Wife... / See What This Wife Did To Her Husband(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by maritalman(m): 5:42pm On Jul 11, 2009
I personally dont think a woman have a right to her earnings to her husband.

However, the jews instituted that since the husband is obligated to feed, clothe and provide housing for his wife it is only fitting that he should be the beneficiary of her earnings.

It should be noted that even after the JEWS established this rule, if a woman wishes, she has the right to tell her husband, "I will support myself and I will keep my earnings."

but it is advice able to say that a wife should give her husband all she have since the Bible verify it that

"THE WIFE AND THE HUSBAND ARE ONE FLESH"

so it is a capital YES to the post above

HOPE THIS IS CLEAR
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by dorleey(f): 5:59pm On Jul 11, 2009
@Poster,Hope u're in this century? In regards 2 d bible quotation dat a man and his wife are one, dat means d man should also give d woman his own earnings undecided
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by spikedcylinder: 6:05pm On Jul 11, 2009
This topic has been beaten to death but I will answer the question anyways.

No, No for the love of God, NO!!!!
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by Rebarobyn: 6:16pm On Jul 11, 2009
Money matters can be very tricky even with couples, this question is not a yes or no matter, I'd say it depends on the nature of the relationship. Some couples are very close and can even go as far as operating joint accounts while some couples are married but yet so far apart and would not even know about each others' salaries. One thing I however believe is that no one should be forced against their will. If a woman decides not to let her husband know about her earnings or give it to him, she would have her reasons, the guy might be a spendthrift, a drunkard, a gambler or he might be very sensitive to what she earns as in getting edgy about her earning as much or more than he does (as many 9ja men are).

About the verse "a man and his wife becoming one", why does it have to be interpreted as relating to money I think it has more to do with faithfulness, love and loyalty, I also think a man should respect himself as the head of the home by providing for the family and not trying to manage or spend the woman's money for her, its her call to spend it on the family and I believe most Nigerian women bear a lot of burden in the home. Men are so quick to say they are the head of the home but when it comes to responsibilities, they are always ready to share it with the woman, that's very selfish and hypocritical!

1 Like

Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by rubi(f): 2:11am On Jul 13, 2009
maritalman:

I personally dont think a woman have a right to her earnings to her husband.

However, the jews instituted that since the husband is obligated to feed, clothe and provide housing for his wife it is only fitting that he should be the beneficiary of her earnings.

It should be noted that even after the JEWS established this rule, if a woman wishes, she has the right to tell her husband, "I will support myself and I will keep my earnings."

but it is advice able to say that a wife should give her husband all she have since the Bible verify it that

"THE WIFE AND THE HUSBAND ARE ONE FLESH"

so it is a capital YES to the post above

HOPE THIS IS CLEAR
I disagree
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by Fhemmmy: 6:19pm On Jul 13, 2009
All earnings belongs to the family.
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by keyremotes(m): 8:11pm On Jul 15, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Wisely said.

I'm sure some of the people who have spoken here are not married?

This issue is causing a lot of marriages serious pains.

Some women who earn more than their husbands allow it to get to their heads and gegin to want to control the home.

The only solution is for the ladies affected to see their "position" as a great priviledge from God to help out with the finances of the home.

But, what do we have? PRIDE come in and then they become "too big" to play their "helper' role. Ladies are falling daily in this "test" of humility.

This doesn't also mean the men should fold their hands and not work.

Where there is unity in the home front, the devil CANNOT come in.

WE MUST ALL BE CAREFUL AND WATCH CAREFULLY THE WAYS THE DEVIL INFILTRATES FAMILIES THESE DAYS.

A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by keyremotes(m): 8:17pm On Jul 15, 2009
Rebarobyn:

, One thing I however believe is that no one should be forced against their will. If a woman decides not to let her husband know about her earnings or give it to him, she would have her reasons, the guy might be a spendthrift, a drunkard, a gambler or he might be very sensitive to what she earns as in getting edgy about her earning as much or more than he does (as many 9ja men are).

About the verse "a man and his wife becoming one", why does it have to be interpreted as relating to money I think it has more to do with faithfulness, love and loyalty, I also think a man should respect himself as the head of the home by providing for the family and not trying to manage or spend the woman's money for her, its her call to spend it on the family and I believe most Nigerian women bear a lot of burden in the home. Men are so quick to say they are the head of the home but when it comes to responsibilities, they are always ready to share it with the woman, that's very selfish and hypocritical!

Are you married?

In marriage both parties are expected to lose their individual identities and take on a oneness that only God Himself can explain.

It's so very easy to talk about these things from outside of marriage.
But, when you get in there you realise there are a lot of adjustments to make.

There is a saying I love so much "What is commanded is not convenient. What is convenient is not commanded".
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by Fhemmmy: 8:48pm On Jul 15, 2009
Thanks for the beautiful advice
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 15, 2009
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by Rebarobyn: 10:50pm On Jul 15, 2009
keyremotes:

Are you married?

In marriage both parties are expected to lose their individual identities and take on a oneness that only God Himself can explain.

It's so very easy to talk about these things from outside of marriage.
But, when you get in there you realise there are a lot of adjustments to make.

There is a saying I love so much "What is commanded is not convenient. What is convenient is not commanded".

Imagine you have a sister whose husband is a spendthrift and she refuses to let him have access to her money because of this, would you say she is not following God's commandment? It is easier for you men to talk like this because that's what you do - shift responsibilities! I have a sister whose husband used to collect the earnings from her business from her workers and he would say he was keeping it to restock the business, she never saw the money until this man killed that business. After then he would refuse to bring his own salary home under false pretenses and she still had to bear the responsibility of paying most of the bills including the children's fees. Now Mr. Keyremotes, I don't need to be married to see that most men are very selfish and each case has to be treated based on the circumstances. Being married doesn't make you wiser than a single person, you can never have the answer to it all!

and I still maintain my stand that oneness is not about money and material things, it is in the heart, in faithfulness and in love. If the love is true, all other things including sharing will genuinely follow. You don't have to force anyone by telling them what they should do (i.e losing their identities).
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by shilling(f): 8:59am On Jul 16, 2009
Hell no!!! Any man who thinks his wife's earrings belong to him has to check himself thru and thru
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by cbjonstage(m): 12:47pm On Jul 16, 2009
@ Rebarobyn
i felt bad reading ur last post. your sister's husband is not worthy to be called a family man at all.
there are techniques that most girls (good ones) doesnt apply in relationship while they are in courtship. And as such when they ended up gettin married she falls victim to their so called husband just like ur sister's case.

in courtship, neither the man nor the woman create scenarios to upsets or infuriates the other. this technique helps one to know and observe d attribute of his/her partner if his/her reaction has huge advantage in ur marriage or not. when u overdo such acts, you are hurting your victim deeply meaning, you dont love the person

these scenarios has to do with day-to-day activities one can find in life. adopting the technique helps u to know hidden traits of ur fiance / fiancee before marriage,
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by kokoA(m): 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2009
it depends on how much she earns. If its like 3mill a month, it belongs to me. If its below 100k a month, it belongs to her. How about that? cool
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by keyremotes(m): 7:24pm On Jul 16, 2009
Rebarobyn:

Imagine you have a sister whose husband is a spendthrift and she refuses to let him have access to her money because of this, would you say she is not following God's commandment? It is easier for you men to talk like this because that's what you do - shift responsibilities! I have a sister whose husband used to collect the earnings from her business from her workers and he would say he was keeping it to restock the business, she never saw the money until this man killed that business. After then he would refuse to bring his own salary home under false pretenses and she still had to bear the responsibility of paying most of the bills including the children's fees. Now Mr. Keyremotes, I don't need to be married to see that most men are very selfish and each case has to be treated based on the circumstances. Being married doesn't make you wiser than a single person, you can never have the answer to it all!

and I still maintain my stand that oneness is not about money and material things, it is in the heart, in faithfulness and in love. If the love is true, all other things including sharing will genuinely follow. You don't have to force anyone by telling them what they should do (i.e losing their identities).
Sorry about your sister.

I never said oneness is all about money and material things. MARRIAGE IS A TOTAL PACKAGE.

I am a married man alright. But, that will never make me know how it is to carry a pregnancy.
ONLY MARRIED PEOPLE OR PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN CAN REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT. Like it or not.

What you need to ask yourself is: WHEN DID THE LACK OF REAL LOVE START?

shilling:

Hell no!!! Any man who thinks his wife's earrings belong to him has to check himself thru and thru
NO RIGHT THINKING MAN WILL THINK SO. I ACTUALLY MAKE IT A PRAYER POINT THAT "WHATEVER MY WIFE EARNS SHOULD BE INSIGNIFICANT TO ME".

IT'S HER'S BUT REALLY OURS. JUST AS MINE IS REALLY OURS.

Fhemmmy:

GOD BLESS YOU FEMI.

FINALLY I DARE TO SAY THEORY IS NOT THE SAME A PRACTICAL.
We can say all we can outside the institution. The real =deal is being in it.
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by Shaz(f): 7:41pm On Jul 16, 2009
spikedcylinder:

This topic has been beaten to death but I will answer the question anyways.

No, No for the love of God, NO!!!!

Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by Fhemmmy: 8:27pm On Jul 16, 2009
kokoA:

it depends on how much she earns. If its like 3mill a month, it belongs to me. If its below 100k a month, it belongs to her. How about that? cool

doesnt depend on nothing
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by pamelaB(f): 11:26pm On Jul 17, 2009
Like someone already said, all earnings belong to the family. In my family we have access to each others bank accounts and we spend our incomes together. The money goes mainly to our children and their needs anyway, so why should we care where the money comes from or who earned it? This is how we have always done it, and we never even discuss it. It is automatic.

And for the record, I dont think it is my hubby's duty to provide for the family or for me. There are two equal adults in this relationship.
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by ThoniaSlim(f): 3:38am On Jul 18, 2009
Your kidding right? Like you mean I'll give my whole month's profit/salary to my husband? All in the name of being married! undecided

My brains would have to be removed and thrown away to do that!
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by Remii(m): 3:57am On Jul 18, 2009
A woman's earning should be hers, the husband should be able to take care of the family while wife's earning could be kept for raining day when finance become tight during capital projects or an emergency. It is important that the wife has separate account in case of the unexpected so that the man's family do not take over everything claiming it belongs to their son. Even if the woman died before the husband too, as long as the account is separate her children and her other dependant would not be at the mercy of the husband reasoning too.
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by Rebarobyn: 6:24am On Jul 18, 2009
pamelaB:

Like someone already said, all earnings belong to the family. In my family we have access to each others bank accounts and we spend our incomes together. The money goes mainly to our children and their needs anyway, so why should we care where the money comes from or who earned it? This is how we have always done it, and we never even discuss it. It is automatic.

And for the record, I dont think it is my hubby's duty to provide for the family or for me. There are two equal adults in this relationship.

My point exactly, it should happen NATURALLY, people should not be given a one-way guideline on how to live their lives, I think we have a problem in this society where people think they can tell others what to do and that one formula works for all, IT DOESN'T - people are different, circumstances differ and ideally couples should do things together but it may not work like that for everyone because trust levels, intimacy and love are on varying degrees. People should just quit trying to live other people's lives for them, live yours!
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by MrWaters: 7:30am On Jul 18, 2009
wife earning belonging to husband doesn't mean her salary should be in her hubby acc but he must be aware of evrything she doing. how she's spendin & others. not like western countries where husband earning are shared & wive kept theirs
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by pamelaB(f): 12:45pm On Jul 18, 2009
hackingisfun:

wife earning belonging to husband doesn't mean her salary should be in her hubby acc but he must be aware of evrything she doing. how she's spendin & others. not like western countries where husband earning are shared & wive kept theirs

Where exactly does this happen? I have never heard of such a thing. In western world both man & woman provide for the family. In most cases it is not even possible to manage with just one person's salary, it really isnt. Both parents have to work to be able to meet up with the extremely high living expences. House wifes are a thing of the past, and have been for the past 30 yrs.

I mean, come on, do you guys have any idea how expensive everything is in Europe? Just for the record, our house rent is 1000 euros a month (basic 4 room&kitchen apartment), and an average monthly salary in this country is about 2000€. And a family of our size spends 150-200€ a week on food only. Then comes car loans & gasoline, insurances, health care, phone bills, electricity, water, day care bills, clothing, children's hobbies etc, etc, Yup, both parents work, at least in this country.
Re: Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? by TheSeeker(m): 5:22pm On Jul 18, 2009
This is marriage and just doesn't involve the two of them, they have kids to consider as well(if they already have kids). There'd be some amount of insight as to what they feel is right for the family and they have to at all time, put that at the forefront. Husband should have his own account as well the his wife. Have a common goal of how money will be spent as I'm particularly sure the both of you know how much comes into the family at the end of the month. As long as the needs in the family are taken care of I don't see why who's in possession of who's salary should be a nagging concern. Some husbands, sorry to say, can't be trusted with their wife's income and I do not encourage a joint account as it sparks off too much problem later on. I'm flying in the face of this popular speculation that it's a man's ultimate responsibility to look after his wife financially -- I do agree it'd conventionally the opinion, but the woman should assist the man greatly when it comes to monetary issues in the family. You see women working, piling up their money in their bank accounts, the man keeps working his ass off trying to place the family on some comfort level and has lesser money in his own account because he's busy working and taking care of the financial needs in the family. This same wife awaits him to pay for her hair dos, her beautification projects and all, in some sad cases where divorce comes next as a line of responsive action to a disagreement and messy rancor in a marriage, the man stands to lose more and he has to part with some of his hard-earned income coupled with the ones his wife stocked in her bank account: So I say let's split the responsibilities, I ain't your slave and you ain't mine. As part of insurance policy, a man should never rule out divorce in his marriage. We do not have control over our marriages as we all rightly know those who have gone through that stage never wished for it and that has to be put into consideration when dealing with money issues. That was why I said, some husbands can't be trusted with their wives' income; if there's a case where divorce comes up, what does the wife stand to get? Part of her own hard earned money. It's dicey though but in marriage, both parties have to put the family at the forefront and also be extremely smart: No one wants to work all their life to lose it all so cheaply.

(1) (Reply)

20 Yr Old Woman Gets Pregnant By 13 Year Old Boy! / Is Tea Nd Bobo Good For My 11 Months Old Baby? / How Do You Address Your Spouse's Elder Brother/sister?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.