Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,832 members, 7,831,700 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? (20622 Views)

7 Most Employable Skills In Nigeria / Debate Of The Day: Self Employed Jobs Or White Collar Jobs? / Available Jobs Or Opportunities In The Farming And Agro Allied Industry. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Standing5(m): 8:17pm On Feb 24, 2016
Few job and relatively higher number unemployable graduates.

2 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by flexxyworld(m): 8:18pm On Feb 24, 2016
There are limited jobs.. So basically its more about being informed about a vacancy..

2 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Feb 24, 2016
Judging from the quality of ideas one reads on Nairaland, the Nigerian graduate lacks the right attitude for the workplace. Companies that can afford it would normally spend huge amount of money retraining entry level graduates. At the end they still carry on as if they were doing the organisation a favour by accepting to perform the tasks they applied for in the first place.

4 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by maasoap(m): 8:21pm On Feb 24, 2016
Africanman123:
But both events are not mutually exclusive. I can say with all pride that there are jobs but no employable graduates, why do u think we all run abroad for education.
How many have you created? Number of Nigerians running abroad for greener pastures surpassed the number running abroad for education.
Just place an advert for a position and you will receive the shock of your life by the quantity and quality of the graduates that will apply.

1 Like

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Feb 24, 2016
martineverest:
There's no difference between must Nigerian graduates and fish sellers or butchers, especially nairalanders..... They are neither productive technically nor mentally.
Father, forgive him for he knows not what he says.
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Crieff(m): 8:21pm On Feb 24, 2016
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Mjones77(m): 8:23pm On Feb 24, 2016
I won't say there are no jobs and I won't say there are no employable graduates because most times you companies demand so much u put a job advert asking for 5yrs exp, 10yrs, experience even people without experience lie jst to meet up wen u interview dem dey disappoint you. without given fresh graduates a chance and tutor them to be what u want them to be not as if we go to school to study ur company as a course and mind you bcus of our system. we only have theoretical knowledge it's your place as a company to show us how it is done on the field that why a standard company will always give room for trainee

6 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by pulsa(m): 8:25pm On Feb 24, 2016
oginineme:
There are no jobs do not be deceived. How many positions are available? Forget that one.

pupped your Cherry for the first time since 2008 I see...
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by kobonaire(m): 8:28pm On Feb 24, 2016
Getting quality, employable new graduates has always been an issue.
The decline in the number of available jobs is something that is new and of course tied to the dwindling economy.
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by femi4: 8:28pm On Feb 24, 2016
sugarbelly:
no employable ''graduates''
Do you know how many graduates apply for job openings in Nigeria?

You mean all graduates from State, Federal and private institutions are not employable?

You mean graduates from foreign Institutions too could not fit in?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by MakeWeTalk: 8:31pm On Feb 24, 2016
Lets call a spade a spade.

There are jobs but....

The Jobs are reserved for the Northerners

2 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by dammytosh: 8:32pm On Feb 24, 2016
mrprezident007:
Unemployment and quality of Education.
I have seen many graduates roam the streets looking for jobs. Conversely, some companies have also lamented that many Nigerian graduates are unemployable. Who is telling the truth, are there Jobs but no employable graduates or that there are not so many jobs out there?

Few jobs but 90% of those looking for it are unemployable.
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Feb 24, 2016
The labour market is so saturated, jst imagine the number of graduates that pass out from nysc every batch, then compare with the so called available jobs.....it all boils down to making yourself outstanding right from your paper qualifications to what you can offer. It has gotten so bad that a bank had to trim of the number of qualified candidates for an experiene position by asking them to present there first sch leaving cert. Though I won't rule out the fact that some graduates are unemployable and I partly blame our high instutions. Some lectures are currently using the same lesson note they used 20yrs ago and dey xpect the students 2 vomit bak samething during exam and you expect such students to be employable? No way!!
Modified
I finished from a govt uni, I have interviewed graduates but I must say that av always bin impressed by products of convenant uni , probably because they have.a Conducive learning system
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by grandstar(m): 8:35pm On Feb 24, 2016
mrprezident007:
I have seen many graduates roam the streets looking for jobs. Conversely, some companies have also lamented that many Nigerian graduates are unemployable. Who is telling the truth, are there Jobs but no employable graduates or that there are not so many jobs out there?

Many are unemployable. The quality lamentable. Its shocking.

I think its mostly these State Universities producing these poor quality graduates. Their written English leaves a lot to be desired

1 Like

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by menxer: 8:36pm On Feb 24, 2016
adipemcanis1:

My opinion.

1.Most people go to university to graduate with degrees that would qualify them for office jobs....where they would shuffle papers without thinking for the rest of their working lives.Meanwhile...most companies want people who are ideas persons, problem solvers,etc. Not clerks.Of course...when some gent or lady turns up looking for job....and cannot show that he or she is an ideas man or woman.....

2.Our universities do not teach you how to be a problem solver. For instance...back in the 1980's...a car factory in the USA that was about to be closed because of high running costs....reached out to the local unviersity's department of economics to help them solve their cost problems. Students and lecturers joined hands to develop a plan to sort out the problem. Now...which Nigerian economics department can come and do the same for a Nigerian factory.(None of them).

3.Still on thinking. Our lecturers used to tell us that in order to pass their exams...you have to give them what they taught you in class.That is nice...but the problem is...when a student is doing the exams....he is not using his thinking mind to answer the question....just regurgitating the lecturer'snotes.Sigh....thinking gone.

4.Assignments. Most students when asked to do an assignment....just go and copy from textbooks and websites. No synthesizing of ideas from sources.

In brief....the problem is....our educations system does not teach students to think....they teach students to just regurgitate what the lecturer told them.May help in getting a first class from uni....but in the real world...where you have to formulate solutions....

5.Most Nigerian students think that learning is only in class. No. Learning is a continuum.

You are spot on.

Apart from learning to read, write reason logically, every other thing I have learned to keep going in life was/is outside school and beyond the scope of school curriculum.

Learning is a way of life.

2 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by CuteEmma(f): 8:36pm On Feb 24, 2016
adipemcanis1:

My opinion.

1.Most people go to university to graduate with degrees that would qualify them for office jobs....where they would shuffle papers without thinking for the rest of their working lives.Meanwhile...most companies want people who are ideas persons, problem solvers,etc. Not clerks.Of course...when some gent or lady turns up looking for job....and cannot show that he or she is an ideas man or woman.....

2.Our universities do not teach you how to be a problem solver. For instance...back in the 1980's...a car factory in the USA that was about to be closed because of high running costs....reached out to the local unviersity's department of economics to help them solve their cost problems. Students and lecturers joined hands to develop a plan to sort out the problem. Now...which Nigerian economics department can come and do the same for a Nigerian factory.(None of them).

3.Still on thinking. Our lecturers used to tell us that in order to pass their exams...you have to give them what they taught you in class.That is nice...but the problem is...when a student is doing the exams....he is not using his thinking mind to answer the question....just regurgitating the lecturer'snotes.Sigh....thinking gone.

4.Assignments. Most students when asked to do an assignment....just go and copy from textbooks and websites. No synthesizing of ideas from sources.

In brief....the problem is....our educations system does not teach students to think....they teach students to just regurgitate what the lecturer told them.May help in getting a first class from uni....but in the real world...where you have to formulate solutions....

5.Most Nigerian students think that learning is only in class. No. Learning is a continuum.

Firsted and Seconded..
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by gentle007(m): 8:36pm On Feb 24, 2016
Africanman123:

So that is why you are wasting your time here...people like you always deceive others, there are jobs out there.
Bros stop acting pius. There are no jobs .
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by omojeesu(m): 8:37pm On Feb 24, 2016
Both!
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by islandmoon: 8:37pm On Feb 24, 2016
they told us about the people in government today, how they started, they were given job after service year with official car with no experience, but they have failed us because they do not learn from other nation example, A lecturer teaching geology student , MSC class for that matter' trying to explain how a machine works, and when he was asked to explain better, the professor said , in his word

" I myself have not seen the machine before" that is what i was told, they said it worked like this, like that
"

imagine a lecturer saying that? it was one of the student who is already working with the machine in Port Harcourt that explained to the student" and the lecturer , and the lecturer was even begging him to make arrangement for him so he could see the machine working to enable him know how to explain to the student next year!

how then do you want the student to know what their teacher do not know?

in Germany and Australia , Especially in Germany, when you do 1hour in class, you will do 2hrs in the workshop, it is called apprenticeship programme , that is the best way to pass knowledge to the upcoming generation and make them employable.

then again, there is something called National skill Needs, The National Skill Needs Board is a body responsible for calculating and estimating the skill need of a nation, and their finding will then be forward to NUC who will pass the message to Universities on many medical student should be admitted, Carpentry, plumbing ETC but reverse is the case in Nigeria today, we are all trained to handle pen in the office for white collar jobs.

link to Australia national skill needs and apprenticeship programme.
http://www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/publications/about-national-skills-needs-list

you can also see their skill shortage information here
https://www.employment.gov.au/national-state-and-territory-skill-shortage-information

the areas where demand could not be met are then given to foreigners , this is what determine the number of visa given to foreign workers

unlike in Nigeria where they just work without planning e.g running a nation without budget, universities /NUC producing graduates without objectives and then blaming the graduates for not been able to fix into the economy

96% of our officials are just busy gallivanting around as official for nothing .

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by lanreni: 8:38pm On Feb 24, 2016
Vision2045:
THIS ANALOGY IS SAME WITH THE GIRLS SAYING OF ALL GUYS ARE THE SAME...HAVE U DATED ALL?.....NO B IF THEM FIRST EMPLOY U ..THEM GO KNOW IF U RE EMPLOYABLE OR NOT.... OGA JOB SCARCE ...
grin grin grin
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Feb 24, 2016
Our education system is a huge flop. Start from the foundation to build not the other way round. #mytwocents! undecided BTW economy is also depreciating can't blame employers either! Most Nigerians also lack entrepreneurship spirit necessary for doing business(self-employment).
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Feb 24, 2016
Every year this same topic. Yawn.
I'm sure the answer to this question has been posted since 2005 because from what I see, no government since democracy(1999) has faced this unemployment issue squarely with a solid means to end it.
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by judedwriter(m): 8:40pm On Feb 24, 2016
Half baked graduates fighting for few jobs=MASSIVE UNEMPLOYMENT undecided
Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by ETEYEN79(m): 8:40pm On Feb 24, 2016
Honestly, there are no jobs, if anyone publishes that there are no employable graduates, the person is only saying nonsense. Sometimes when you listen to some questions people uses to qualify graduates you'll start laughing, they will ask, who is the local govt chairman of a particular place in Borno, and if a graduate don't know it, they will say, he is not employable. So please they should cut the crap and leave Nigerian guys alone. God bless Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by iykedare(m): 8:44pm On Feb 24, 2016
There are lots of jobs but few qualified people to take the jobs. Graduates will prefer to spend money on gadgets than to pay to learn skills necessary for their careers.

Nowadays, companies don't have the patience to employ you,train you and pay you.

The attitude of the graduates is the problem. Let me ask....how many of these ones lamenting here know the skills required in their various careers? What have you done to learn these skills?

5 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Kazrem(m): 8:44pm On Feb 24, 2016
This is my position:
As an undergraduate or a jambite who do not intend to thread entrepreneurial path, the journey to secure a job after graduation begins right from secondary school or at worst from the day he gets admission into a university. The problem with most there-are-no-jobs singers is because, among others, they leave it too late. They don't do what they ought to do when they ought to do it. For instance, if you are intending for a paid employment, I have read, start taking job tests from 300 level, learn how to write a good CV from 300 level and if possible, do a professional exam while in school. All these will add up to give you an edge above your competitors. The street is already filled with unemployed graduates. To get employed, you need to do something different from others. There are jobs only people to fill it are not employable.

2 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by gentle007(m): 8:45pm On Feb 24, 2016
Dahveydson:

Modified

The Hilarious part of this kind of thread is that people who are fully employed will be preaching entrepreneurship like one can start a business with sand.
Bros u finish work here. You are on point.

2 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Horlawale1(m): 8:48pm On Feb 24, 2016
Even though most Nigerian graduates are unemployable as claim by HR's.
My question IS, those that are employable are they fully employed?? The answer is no

Back to the questions, there are limited jobs needed by both employable and Un-employable graduates.
Also having in minds several HR relatives also in search of this limited jobs.
Finally, Nigerian educational sector needs to be revise. It is a pity that a mechanical engineering graduates have to call on a road side mechanic to check his/her cars.
A computer science graduates don't even have any idea about wat programming is in its real sense, while a botany graduate like me don't know wat it takes to make a lawn.
After all said and done, if a bread is half bake, is it the fault of the bread or the Baker??
GOD BLESS NIGERIA

5 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Feb 24, 2016
ETEYEN79:
Honestly, there are no jobs, if anyone publishes that there are no employable graduates, the person is only saying nonsense. Sometimes when you listen to some questions people uses to qualify graduates you'll start laughing, they will ask, who is the local govt chairman of a particular place in Borno, and if a graduate don't know it, they will say, he is not employable. So please they should cut the crap and leave Nigerian guys alone. God bless Nigeria.

That question is relevant.

It shows that you pay attention to current affairs...which is a very important skill (if you will) for jobs in certain sectors like the Financial and Communications sector to use an example.

For instance....your company wants to invest in country A....and needs to know about the political situation in country A. A good employee with a knowledge of the political situation in that country would be able to give a fair idea of what is going on over there.

Don't laugh. Paying attention to current affairs is very very important.It shows you as being able to gather facts to make a decision.Good for the job, no?

2 Likes

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by menxer: 8:51pm On Feb 24, 2016
femi4:
Do you know how many graduates apply for job openings in Nigeria?

You mean all graduates from State, Federal and private institutions are not employable?

You mean graduates from foreign Institutions too could not fit in?

Saying there are no employable graduates is just to insult us, for a little leaven has leavened the lump.

Besides the shame is on all of us as a nation for running a system that lays undue emphasis on paper qualifications instead of creative productivity.

1 Like

Re: No Jobs Or No Employable Graduates? by fromnigeria(m): 8:55pm On Feb 24, 2016
mrprezident007:
I can't believe a Nigerian ask this.
I think he is from Cameroon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

5 Ways To Get A Job Without Experience. / NBC Offer And Access Bank Offer, Which One Should I Go For Please? / Finally Got Job From One Of The Two Jobs I Rejected

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.