Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,175 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

The Abandoned Child - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Abandoned Child (72364 Views)

Letter To The Abandoned Parents From Anothernigerian / Home: A Pastor's Daughter And An Abandoned Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Abandoned Child by rfnextar8(m): 6:36pm On May 27, 2016
what a nice write up
more ink to your pen bro
waiting for more updates

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Abandoned Child by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 7:39am On May 28, 2016
PART 3

CHAPTER 10

1991-University environment was so different from any environment I have been in my twenty two years of existence. It was a case of multi socio-cultural mix up.

No one gave a damn about my age! In fact I was not the oldest in my class of seventy students at 100 levels. I had married men and women as class mates! I had my age mates and younger ones too, no one cared about age and that feeling was soothing to me unlike what I passed through in my secondary school where my class mates and the whole school tagged me an uncle.

The social life was something else though. I had to adapt. For instance, I needed to stop bowing too low or try to prostrate while greeting someone that is older than me. I needed to curtail the excessive use of “yes sir” while discussing with an older one, be it student or lecturer, I could start a sentence with “yes sir” and end it with “sir” it was strange to the eastern people when I discuss with and older person and show so much respect. They laugh at me, they say I am local.

Another thing I observed here was the public show of affection between male and female students. I was always carried away when I see a boy and a girl taking a walk hand in hand or worse still when a girl seats on the lap of a boy discussing in public. I would forget myself and mope at them until they either shout at me or they shy away from my presence. It was not easy for me to stop looking at skimpily dressed ladies exposing their luscious cleavages and thighs in public, people were so free. No class prefect or school prefect to bully you. The class captains here were mere stooges for the lecturers.

There were joints where we go to buy snacks and soft drinks. One could also go to town in the evening to drink alcohol or whatever pleases you. The evenings were my favourite moments as I would go out and sit close the school gate to watch the array of visitors trooping in and out of the school to pick up our girls. I saw exotic cars in their numbers; cars I had thought only existed in foreign movies, porch cars with convertible roof blaring out loud music and occupants dressed like movies Stars.
I would watch girls dressed for the night walk out of the school gate to board taxis to town. My favourite sit out was at Mallam Musa’s Kiosk close to the gate, I normally buy groundnut or biscuit and a bottle of Fanta as I sit and feed my eyes.

In my first year, I rarely went to the school joint. It was not meant for my type. I had no money to spare, the two times I went there was on invitation by a friend called Maduka. He had insisted I accompanied him there for a snack. When we got there, it was a beehive of activities. Every table was occupied with students’ spending money, eating and drinking. We had to wait for some students to finish eating and leave before we took over the chairs they sat on. I saw a student commanding the waitress to serve about seven other students seated around him with whatever they want.
I also saw wastage of food and drinks. Many of the girls that ate at the joint did not eat up their snacks, they barely drank half of the soft drink and bite off half of the snacks, the only item I know they ate up was meat. I hardly saw any left over stick meat. I wished I could pack up all the left over’s and take to my room. It would do me for a couple of days.

Year one was like an extension of secondary school. I did so well in my courses because I was already good in physics and other science subjects before entering the university.

The school was quite affordable because it is a federal government school. I was in the dormitory and we ate at the refectory while some of us cooked. I did both.

Mr. Adegoke and I were still in touch through letter writing and I always looked forward to reading from him.
Yes! Lest I forget, I had problems pronouncing the names of Igbo friends, names that starts with “Chi” I would pronounce as “she” it was practically impossible for me to change that tone, even when I tried to pronounce it right and it sounds right to my hearing, they still laugh at me and said I couldn’t get it right. I would call Ikesukwu instead of Ikechukwu. It irritated some of them and they would rather I called their English names while it amused others. All in all, it earned me the name “Omo Yoruba” in my first year. I am Yoruba by tribe and my accent stood out.
In the hostel I was quiet and reserved. I do not exceed my boundary, I do not mingle. I simply coil up in my bunk and dig into my books. Mr. Adegoke had told me that I needed to start working on my grades from my first day in school so I do no miss classes, I do not miss assignments and tests and when the second semester result was published, the name “Omo” became a force to be reckoned with. I cleared all “A”s and my CGP was 4.96.

I stayed back in the hostel during the holiday. I had no where to go to. Few students stayed back also. My money had run down and I was wondering how I would cope in my second year when school resumes. I could still pay my school and departmental fees, but then I would be left with very little to feed.

I went into town; I walked the length of Okigwe road to World Bank area looking for anything until I saw a vacancy advert posted on a gate. It read “Holiday Tutors wanted “. I knocked at the gate; it was a private school that needed Science teachers for students on holiday as well as preparatory classes for SSCE and JAMB examinations. I got the offer to teach Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics to SS1 and SS2 students. I started work immediately. It was fun and engaging but the pay was good. I solved every question the students threw at me to test my capability because I looked young and inexperienced.
Within two weeks of my working at the school, the number of students doubled. I have my ways of teaching that it made the student to want to be in my class, I told them that if a Village man like me with the least support in life could clear all “A”s in my SSCE then it should be an easy ride for them that are in the City and have every family support they need. I made the students to solve equations themselves. I gave them home works and the next day we solve it together. The students looked forward to my jokes and my accent too, but in all, they got to love the subjects that I taught.

The most important aspect of teaching was that it also opened an avenue for me to research and improves on myself. I had to read wider to prepare for those naughty students who liked to disgrace lecturers by bringing problems that are out of the curriculum for the lecturer to solve. Some will ask irrelevant question just to embarrass the Teacher. These were children of the elites in Owerri. Spoilt Kids.

I made more money during the November General Certificate Examination GCE. The private school where I taught during the holidays was an examination centre for the GCE. The proprietor hired me to assist the students that were writing the examination at his centre. I was kept in a secured room and question papers from the examination hall were brought to me to solve and provide answers for the students. I went on different days to provide answers for Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics questions. I was sure the Students would clear those subjects with “A”s. except the student that refuse to pay up. I was rewarded handsomely for my effort and on resumption for school in 1992 at the age of twenty three, I was ready for school.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Abandoned Child by kevwecute1(f): 5:19pm On May 28, 2016
Muah for d update kiss more pls embarassed
Re: The Abandoned Child by joanee20(f): 8:03pm On May 28, 2016
Mooore o... you are really doing great, I love this story..
Re: The Abandoned Child by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 8:25pm On May 30, 2016
CHAPTER 11

My overall performance in the first year endeared students to me in the second year. Many students that never as much as said a “hello” to me in the first year were now coming around me and seeking for space in my schedule. Maduka was the only friend I had in my first year but in my second year, “Omo” became the “man”. I was not carried away though because so many friends meant distractions.

There were two guys and a girl that were being viewed as the best three in the class while we were in year one. They were quick to answer questions in class; they were always handy to give assistance to students who had problem understanding certain topics. They were good but the overall result at the end of the session showed that I was better. I was a recluse because of my Yoruba accent; people laugh when I speak so I do not ask or answer questions in class.

The trio became my rivals in school, they watch out for the kind of books I read, they monitor the times I read. Whenever I am asked a question by the lecturers who have now known me, they interfere and want to show superior knowledge on the subject. One of the boys called Chukwuma even told me to my face that any brilliant person who cannot teach others is not worth the name. He said I was hoarding knowledge. I did not reply him, he did not know that outside the school, I was a teacher and my students are proud of me.

In my last letter to my mentor, I had updated every happening at school to him including the rivalry. He replied and said it was very natural, he then advised me to make friends with one or two equally good senior students in the faculty, a year and two years above my level.

I went to the four hundred levels and met with Samuel Ajibo who was the overall best student and Jane Nwankwo in three hundred levels. To these two I took academic problems to and I gained superior knowledge from them.

Towards the end of the first semester, I had just come out from the examination hall and was walking towards the hostel when Maduka cornered me and handed a bag to me and walked away.
Maduka na wetin dey inside? I asked but he did not reply, he simply waved me to go on.
I opened the bag and saw clothes, I called him to ask what it was meant for but he had gone far, he did not look back.
I took the bag home and emptied its content on my bunk. It contained three pairs on Jeans trousers, three Polo shirts, two Chinos short sleeve shirts and a pair of sandals. All were exactly my size. It couldn’t have been Maduka’s because while he was sturdy, I was lanky and the clothes matched me when I tried them on.
My bunk mate Chinasa, a weird fellow from Isialangwa in Abia state walked into the room from the examination hall, when he saw the clothes he started screaming “thank God o”! Thank God o! Bolaji don vex o! Make una come see o! Omo Yoruba don vex o! He don go charter Boutique o!
I hurriedly tucked away the clothes inside my box and locked it up, and then I ran out of the room as curious students started to troop into our room.
I went behind the hostel building and sat on the terrace to reminisce.
So people have noticed that I do not have clothes? Imagine Chinasa screaming and calling the whole dormitory to come and see my supposed new clothes! What a pity! What an embarrassment! How was I to know that anyone gave a damn about what I wear? I never gave a damn about whatever anyone wore so long it was clean.
I have a Jeans trouser and two shirts, a three quarter short, four boxers and two singlet. I wash anything I wear daily but for my jeans that I wash on Saturdays or Sundays.
My classmates also would have noticed my material deficiencies else Maduka would not have offered to clothe me. I wondered how much the Lad must have spent to procure the clothes for me, even though I would have preferred the cash equivalent because dressing was the least of my problems; however I was grateful to Maduka. I got up after thinking and soliloquizing for one hour and went to visit Maduka at his hostel.

There was as uproar when I walked into the examination hall the next morning. The hall was turned upside down. The hullaballoo was due to the new pair of black and red stripped shirt I wore on a new black Jeans. One of my class mates actually attempted to lift me on his shoulder and I ran out of the hall as the examination was yet to begin. That was when I shed tears. I cried because I was emotion laden by the fact that my poor condition was opened to all while I had thought that no one gave a damn!

I could not go back into the hall until the guy that tried to lift me up came to meet me under tree where I had run to, he saw the tears in my eyes and he hugged me. I cried the more.
Easy Omo! Easy! He said; I am so sorry for embarrassing you, but the fact was that I almost did not recognize you! You know I am so used to seeing you in your blue baggy jeans and green shirt! Seeing you like this today blew my mind and the mind of others as you could see in the hall. I am so sorry, please forgive me, he said as we hugged once more.
Wipe your tears; let’s go back into the hall for the invigilator has arrived with the examination papers.
Thanks a lot Godwin! I said.
But my guy, see as you fine! He teased; you be fine boy o! You come dey behave like a Jew man! Which babe you go toast now wey no go trip for you? He asked jokingly as he pulled me along laughing.

I got the same reaction from every where I went to that week. I used to be referred to as “Omo baggy Jeans” behind my back.
The first semester examination ended well and the school went on break.

I had no where to go to so I stayed back in the hostel and when the hostel was almost empty I went to town to the school where I taught during the last long vacation. There was no vacancy. Very few students registered for extra moral lessons so I was not needed. The proprietor told me to come back by the next holiday when students would have started preparing for GCE and JAMB examinations. The implication of what the proprietor told me did not hit me until I got back to the hostel and checked up my money. I was left with seven hundred naira only.

Seven hundred naira would hold me for one week if I managed it well by sticking to a meal daily and drinking enough water. I needed a job to take care of my second semester needs. I was tempted to sell off some of the clothes Maduka gave me but I immediately dismissed the idea. The embarrassment I got concerning those clothes was an eye opener. I even need money to get more clothes and shoes before these ones becomes like a school uniform also. I need another shoe, I have a wet looks shoe and a palm sandals. The sole of the shoe had worn off badly that I wondered if I was bow legged. It can not survive the next semester. I would need to change the sole or get another shoe. I also realize that some students must be waiting to see the day that I will change my shoe. The best thing was to get another shoe and start wearing it immediately.

I hit town once again. I walked through the length and breadth of Owerri looking for any job that could pay anything. I ended up at Executive Gardens Hotel at Okigwe road. I got the job of a Bar man on a monthly salary of two thousand naira. I was quite happy at first but after working there for a week I almost abandoned the job and run away. But run to where nah?

I resumed for work as early as 7AM and because people do not come out to drink in the morning hours, my job was to join the room cleaners in cleaning up the rooms and dressing the beds, we change toiletries, disinfect the toilets, scrub the tiles on the walls of the bathroom and so on. The kind of stains I saw on bed sheets in some rooms after the guests have checked out are better left untold.

After working in the rooms until 1PM, I go downstairs to the bush bar and begin to clean up and set the tables and chairs in readiness for the day’s business. I stock up the Freezers with drinks; I take record of the opening stock of drinks and cigarettes in the bar. It was a Bush bar with DJ and life band facilities.

At 6PM I go back upstairs to take my bath and change into the hotel uniform of white shirt on black trousers then I return down stairs to join my colleague to begin the night’s activities. I do not rest until 2AM or 3AM when the last drunkard would have left. What actually bring business to the bush are the girls that come to hustle. I have never in my life seen such a careless and shameless display of immorality. The girls come from every where claiming to be students of the several higher institutions in eastern Nigeria. They come in varied shapes and sizes dressing seductively to woo the male, any male, as long as he has got cash. Many students from my school, including my lecturers come to patronize the bar and the girls. The girls were on take away basis or short time basis at the chalet in our hotel.

By 9PM the bar is at the peak of activities with either the DJ or the Life band entertaining and customers dancing. Men and ladies drinking and smoking, bar men running hitter titter to attend to customer’s need. The girls dance to every music showing themselves while the men sit and watch and eventually pick their choice girl by sending us the bar men to invite the girl to their table

By 12 midnight, they begin to fizzle out in twos’, some go into the hotel to spend the night together and others to “God knows where”. I then sit down after the last person has gone to count my tips which I had tucked into my back pocket to avoid adding it to the company’s money that I collect from customers.

Till this day I still wonder how some ladies came to the hotel every night and went away with different men each night. Some would have had three to four short time sessions with men in the hotel before finally going home with another man. They called it hustling and they don’t give a damn.

An incident I will never forget at the hotel happened the night a fine gentleman was brought to the hotel by his friend just to prove to him that his fiancée was not whom he thought she was.
The so called fiancée in the company of her friends and five men were on a round table setting eating Nkwobi, drinking assorted spirits and smoking cigarettes. They were chatting loud and having fun.
The fiancée was high on spirit and she stood up to dance to entertain her client for the night. With her cigarette in her left finger, she zoomed into the client who was seated; she pulled his chair backwards so she could have a space between him and the table. She then came between him and the table dancing seductively and rolling her back side in his face. She then sat on his crouch facing him with her full breast under his nose. Her cream coloured mini gown slipped up revealing alluring thighs. The randy client dug his head into her bosom and did things with his mouth. Her mates on the table were cheering, we were watching.
It was when Mr. Randy grabbed her butt and squeezed that hell was let loose.
The gentleman fiancé screamed “chineke me ee”! awunanam ee! (My God, I am dead) the man screamed stamping his feet as he charged towards the table: Nkechi! He shouted: Nkechi! Ihe a, obu ilo k’ogini! (Is this a dream or what?)
Jesus! Jesus! Was all Nkechi kept muttering as she jumped off her client sending the client and his chair tumbling over and she ran out of the bush bar leaving her bag and shoes behind. They were engaged to be married in a weeks’ time

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Abandoned Child by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:07pm On May 30, 2016
Lol this update was funny....
Re: The Abandoned Child by kevwecute1(f): 9:22pm On May 30, 2016
Hahahahah can't stop laughing, tanx for d update. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Abandoned Child by CuteTolex(f): 11:45pm On May 30, 2016
nice update DOMAWOLEYE, PLSS dont tell me thats all for today. just a little more and i will be ok for tonight
Re: The Abandoned Child by RSAV: 2:38pm On May 31, 2016
Interesting story.
Re: The Abandoned Child by charijee(f): 3:41pm On May 31, 2016
Welcome to the real world, uncle Bolaji grin...nice one, Doma
Re: The Abandoned Child by Fijumokesayo(f): 3:47pm On Jun 01, 2016
I am so very happy to be among your readers! This story is educative and I hope to be blessed through it! Thank You Sir Doma, Thank You...... And please, update soon![/color][color=#770077]

1 Like

Re: The Abandoned Child by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 2:36pm On Jun 02, 2016
CHAPTER 12

We did not resume for the second semester as stipulated in the academic calendar, we rather resumed into a long session of industrial strike action embarked upon by the academic staff union due to non payment of salaries and allowances accrued over five months. Students went back home after waiting for a week without resolution between the government and the academic union.

I continued my routine work at the Executive Gardens. I was paid my first salary of one thousand seven hundred and fifty naira after deducting the amount I incurred as loses due to breakages and forgetting to collect monies from some customers. Many cunning customers sneak away without paying for their drinks. Some would have finished drinking and eating pepper soup before remembering that they forgot their wallets at home. We also have the “book me down customers”, these are regular customers who drink through the month and pay off at month end when they collect their salaries.

But I was okay, my accumulated tips for the month was about one thousand five hundred naira so I had over three thousand naira with me.
We stayed home for two months before the strike was finally called off by the academic staff union and school resumed in earnest. I had worked for three months and I could boast of over seven thousand naira. I felt very rich and so I boarded a bus to the popular Ariaria Market in the city of Aba. I went with a colleague at the hotel, a cleaner who had told me a lot about how one could get very cheap commodities at the market.

I purchased four trousers, four Polo T shirts, two short sleeves shirts and two long sleeve shirts. We later left Ariaria Market and went to “School Road” street to buy a brown Timberland safety Boot and a black brock’s shoe. I spent two thousand five hundred naira on all the purchase. I never knew clothes and shoes could be that affordable even though the shoes were fairly used they were rock solid that one could easily take it for brand new from Italy. I bought a lot of food stuff too and I was ready for the second semester of my 200 levels.

Within two weeks on resumption of the second semester, I had redeemed my image. Maduka bought more clothes for me again, I told him I have enough as I narrated my holiday experience to him, he however dropped the three trousers, four shirts and one canvas on my bed. Chinasa watched as I changed into different clothes daily for two weeks stretch. He could no hold his tongue as he shouted again on a Monday morning when I wore white Polo shirt on a fitted blue Jeans and Canvas;
Old boy! Abi you go rob Boutique? Make una see Omo o! I just dey look you all these days I no want to talk! Omo na who provoke you nah?

Guy leave that yarn o! na God dey do am; I replied

There was also mixed reactions from my class mates, but I noticed that I got more friends, especially the ladies.

I stopped going to the Hotel daily except for weekends that I went to help out with work. I was not being paid salary but I earned my tips.

Our first semester result was released mid way into the second semester. My total CGP was 4.80. I was still the best in class. I wrote a letter to Mr. Adegoke and gave him update of what I did during the holiday till date. I got his reply after two weeks and as usual after reading his mail, I was charged the more. I dug into my books harder. He reminded me that I should never take my tests or assignments for granted. He said if I could score the whole forty points in my test and assignment, all I need is forty more points out of the 60 examination points to make an “A”. He said majority of students take their tests and assignments for granted and begins to struggle to score the whole 60 points in examination which is always not possible. Those are the average students, I was a first class material, he had written.

My self esteem rose higher in the second semester as I got several compliments from Guys and babes alike when I dress. I had grown into a 6 feet 3 inches tall young man. I have good stature with hard hands developed over the years farming in the Village. I have a gap between my incisors and when I smiled or laughed my cheek dimpled. I have dark eye brows, dark shinny hair and moustache. My stomach was flat with six packs and my waist is narrow upon long tapering athletic legs.

Poverty had not made me to realize my natural endowment until in my second year in the university at the age of twenty three

Towards the second semester examinations, I became involved in several tutorial lessons organized by year one students. I was paid by the students at the end of each session. They imposed levies on all attendees to pay me.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Abandoned Child by kevwecute1(f): 3:36pm On Jun 02, 2016
winkIs dat all?pls more
Re: The Abandoned Child by Fijumokesayo(f): 9:00pm On Jun 02, 2016
Wow! Thanks for the update and please we want more!

1 Like

Re: The Abandoned Child by dgholmes: 10:11pm On Jun 02, 2016
Woah! So short of words
You are blessed bro..

1 Like

Re: The Abandoned Child by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:28pm On Jun 03, 2016
Levels Don change lol
Re: The Abandoned Child by Iriruaga100(m): 11:13am On Jun 04, 2016
Dare to succeed n determination is the key factor. Donawoleye, you inspired me today.

2 Likes

Re: The Abandoned Child by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 12:13pm On Jun 05, 2016
CHAPTER 13

It was another long vacation and a busy one for me. I went back to the school where I had taught during the last year’s holiday and I was engaged. After teaching in the day, I went to executive Gardens to work at night. I was put on permanent night at the hotel. I sleep between 2 to 3AM. I slept in the hotel as there were rooms for staff member s to sleep at night.

There was this morning that I decided to cut my hair at the hotel’s beauty salon downstairs. That was the first time I went in there to cut my hair because I just discovered that it was free of charge for the staff.

The raining hair cut style then was “Tyson cut” or “punk” I requested for Tyson cut with a side pattern. After cutting my hair, an idea struck me. After the December GCE examinations which I wrote as a mercenary, I was free during the day until at nigh when I worked at the Bar, I used the day time to stay with Silas the barber at the hotel and in three weeks I was cutting the hair of little kids and teenagers while Silas cut the adults but on Christmas eve, I barbed both the old and young, boys and girls. I had to stay with Silas at the Salon due to the influx of customers during the yuletide though I would have preferred to work at the bar on such a night.

The two months strike came to an end too quickly, I was too preoccupied making money to save for the rainy days. Once again I went to Ariaria Market in Aba and bought a brand new super taper Clipper, I bought two yards of white silky fabric and pegs for covering Customers, I bought assorted brushes and combs, mentholated spirit, dusting powder and cotton wood. I bought a two feet mirror also. I spent just a little over four thousand naira. I returned to the hostel and kept my purchase properly secured in my box.

School resumed in January 1993 and I entered my three hundred levels. I would be 24 years old in May.
Chinasa was the first person that I cut his hair in the hostel, he had said he wanted to go for a hair cut in town when I told him that “wetin dey for sokoto dey for sokoto”. He asked what I meant and I told him to wait and see. I brought out my clipper and other barbing accessories, I unhooked the mirror I hung on the wall and I told Chinasa to follow me as I pulled a plastic chair along from the room. We went to the front of the hostel and I plugged my electrical extension box into a socket in front of the building. I told him to sit down while I wrapped him with the cover clothe, I pegged the clothe behind his neck and I gave him the mirror to hold so he could see his face as I work on his head.

Omo na wetin you wan do? Chinasa aked
Wetin e be like say I wan do? I asked

You sabi barb hair! He asked concerned; I never see you barb hair before o! omo make you no use my head to learn work o!
Relax! I said; you no go pay!
Omo! No be money be my problem o! I get money to take go barb my hair for saloon o! I no like to do osho-free o! If you spoil my hair ehn? He sounded scared.
Relax Chinasa! You too dey talk! I said.

I cut his hair, he was happy. I cut the hair of fifteen other students that morning at 3 naira per head. That was the end to penury in my student life.

In other not to obstruct my studies and my quest for academic excellence, I resorted to barbing only on weekends and public holidays. I stand from 7AM to 7PM barbing students. Students would queue in front of my room waiting in turns for hair cut. I was sure of six thousand naira every weekend. I began to lend out money without interest to students that were broke and those that need money to travel home. I had a debtor’s note book to keep track of my increasing debtors, even the Porter of my hostel, the “Man o war “president and the SUG president were among my debtors.

My story changed and my fame spread in the school community. I began to visit the student centre to eat and entertain friends. I grew from borrowing test books to buying my own text books and lending out to students too. I opened a savings account with union bank and my savings grew every Monday morning so that at the end of the year I was over eighty thousand naira rich in my bank account.

During the long vacation of 1993 at the age of twenty five, I did not go to teach. I went to Executive Gardens Hotel to work.

I travelled to Aba to buy shoes at school road. I changed my wardrobe entirely then I bought fifteen pairs of assorted shoes. I took the shoes in a travelling bag to the hotel and sold to Staff and Customers. I sold at twice the cost price and people still thought it was very cheap.
The owner of the Hotel was an Abuja based politician. I never met him until much later. I begged the General manager to allow me to display my shoes on a table at the entrance of the bush bar and he obliged.
I went to Aba Ariaria every Monday when the merchants opened bails of Clothes and shoes in order to get the finest products before owners of Boutiques in Port Harcourt come to buy off everything at exorbitant rates. I became very comfortable by my own standard, money was no longer my problem but my problem was how to spend the money. It was just me alone in the world, no relative. By this time I was like a staff of the hotel, every one knew me as the Yoruba boy that barbs hair, sells shoes and serves in the bar. Almost every one that worked in the hotel owed me money at one time or the other. My dress sense improved greatly as my taste changed. The power of money. Also at this juncture I had started to speak passable Igbo Language by virtue of my association with Igbo people at the Hotel. They insisted I must learn and speak the language.

CHAPTER 14

1994 I was in 400 levels at the age of 25. My grade at the end of my third year was 4.76 CGP. I went down a little in my third year but I was fortunate to have started up as a four pointer from inception. I wrote to my mentor, he also had become a PhD holder. He had bagged his doctorate and also secured employment as a lecturer at the prestigious university of Ibadan, the premiere University or so that called it. It was a vey voluminous one I wrote to him as I updated him with all that happened in my life over the year. His reply was equally voluminous with emphasis that I do not loose focus on my academic pursuit. Once again, I resolved to stay focused. I decided to start burning the midnight candle.

It was on saint Valentine’s day in 1994 at the bar that I first felt the impart of the love cupid arrow. I was busy working at the bar at night. It was Val’s’ night and the number of customers that thronged in was over whelming that we had to resort to “pay before service” basis. It was work from 2PM till dawn of 15th February.

I was giving change to a customer who had come to the Bar shelf to buy drinks. My eyes beheld her as she entered the bar; she stood at the door and looked around as if looking for someone. Something hit my heart and it stop to beat for some seconds. Jeez! Was the word that came out of my mouth. The man I was giving change looked behind and saw her too. “biko give me my change bar man!” he scowled; you never see woman before?

I gave his some change, I did not know how much but he grabbed it and went away with his drinks.

She looked around until our eyes locked; she smiled and glided towards me swaying gaily like she was on a run-way. Her eyes sparked like crystals as she smiled, she was about five feet nine inches tall. She was neither thin nor fat. She was perfect. Her breast was full and appropriate for her frame. Her curves were perfect in her fitted black mini gown, her stomach was flat and she had the loveliest legs on earth. This emotional confusion had never happened to me. I was still a virgin at 25. Though I sleep and dream of making love in my dreams sometimes only to wake up and notice sticky discharge in my boxers, I have never had sexual intercourse in real life.

As she stood before me smiling, something moved in front of my trousers and I had to move closer to the bar shelf to hide my bulging crouch. I could not understand what was happening to me.
Hi! She said
Hello! I replied
Please I am new in town, I don’t know how you guys operate here but I need a bottle of Heineken beer and some chops; she said
I was breathing fast, I was confused so I pointed at a lone chair and told her to go and sit.
There! Someone will attend to you please! I stuttered.
No! Sorry please, I stuttered again; you will pay here and collect your drinks, then you can go there and enjoy your drink. The smell of her cologne was mesmerizing my senses as she opened her purse to pay up.
Keep the change she said.
No! I said as I gave her the bottle of Cold Heineken beer.
You said no? She asked
Yes! I replied
No! Yes! What are you saying? She asked
Sorry, I mean the change! I don’t want to keep your change; I replied
She laughed, my heart jumped. I was fighting to keep my emotions under control
Why! She asked; you don’t collect tips here?
We collect, but I cannot collect from you! I said
Why is that? She asked
Are you married, did you come here with someone? Are you waiting for someone here? I asked all three questions together
She laughed again and my heart almost tore through my chest. She did not know what her laughter was doing to me. I did not have any line to use on her; I had never wooed any woman in my life. This is when Gods time my classmate would have called me a “Jew man”

Please I will bring your change to you, go and sit there before someone else takes over the seat. She collected her drink and swayed towards the lone seat at the far end of the bar. The bar was dimly lit but she shone as cat-walked towards the seat making heads to turn to stare at her. She was beautiful to behold from behind. The curves, the firm round buttocks and the fresh long legs.

Omo na wetin dey do you? Emeka my colleague had asked
Mekus! I swear I no understand wetin dey happen to me o! Woman never affect me like this before o! I don see babes tire for this hotel nah, but none dey like this one! I explained.
You sure say she no be hustler? Emeka asked
She don marry? I asked Emeka
Which kain stupid question be that? I sabi her before? Emeka countered; I beg attend to customers’ biko! See as your trouser don swell because of the girl.
I cowered immediately; so Emeka had seen it? I needed to stay away and calm down so my crouch could calm down also.

So many thoughts went through my mind. What could a beautiful girl like this be doing here alone? Perhaps to hook a man. I have been seeing girls come and go from the hotel, I have seen all shades of the female specie but this one was unique. She was young, say between eighteen and twenty two years. She said she was new in town, but how could someone new in town locate here of all joints in Owerri? I opened a chilled bottle of Gulder beer and gulped straight from the bottle as I sat behind the bar shelf away from prying eyes. It helped me. The chilled drink sent charged sensations through my system and I became calm.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Abandoned Child by Awesome55(m): 1:48pm On Jun 05, 2016
Bros, dey go, we dey enjoy am
Re: The Abandoned Child by joanee20(f): 9:24am On Jun 06, 2016
Omo yoruba Don fall in love...ooo
Re: The Abandoned Child by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:43am On Jun 06, 2016
lol Dude is on love
Re: The Abandoned Child by charijee(f): 7:19am On Jun 08, 2016
Lol grin could this be love?

1 Like

Re: The Abandoned Child by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 9:08am On Jun 09, 2016
I walked up to her and asked the kind of chops she would like, she asked for gizzards and I told her we have it hot and steaming, she asked for the price and I told her not to worry, I would take care of that, she laughed again and I felt that tingling sensation at my crouch again, I was in trouble.
I ran away from her and sent Emeka to take a serve of Gizzard in pepper source to her. I paid for the Gizzards immediately and I gave Emeka her balance to give to her.
I went ahead to attend to other customers while I stole regular glances at her. I saw different men go to her table and talked with her and I was always red with anger whenever any one made her laugh.
I had seen men take single girls home every other night from this hotel but it would kill me tonight if any one should take this one home.
It was Emeka that saved the day.
Omo, its like you like this girl; he said
Yes Emeka! I said; I never see her here before, but she dey make my heart beat to run faster! I said
Okay, see wetin you go do ehn? Go upstairs, go change your clothes, then go meet her. She must be a student so do not be afraid. Even if she be Ashawo, I never see her here before which means she no get customer for here! Emeka encouraged me.
I dey fear o! I never toast woman before o! I said.
My friend! wetin dey do you? Emeka challenged; you no be man? Go abeg! He pushed me.

I hurried out of the bar. I changed into a pair of black jeans and red polo shirt, I sprayed my perfume “Tahoo for men” I quickly brushed my teeth before coming downstairs. As I approached the bar, Emeka quickly brought out a spare chair and placed it directly opposite the girl. She looked up as Emeka was beckoning at me to come and sit. She returned her gaze to her drink.

I sat down and I said hi!
Hi! She replied as she looked up into my eyes, she squinted, then she looked towards the bar counter. She made a funny face as she peered into my face in the dimly lit room.
Are you not…
The bar man! I completed
Have you closed for the day? She asked
No! I am still on duty but I need to speak with you, I said
Me? She asked; what for?
I am confused, I said; your presence is doing things to me that I can not explain.
She laughed again, displaying the most beautiful set of white teeth in the world. It was like watching Whitney Houston laugh.
You are doing it again, I said
What did I do? She asked
I don’t know why my heart beat skips whenever you laugh and I was angry when I saw those guys coming to chat with you and you laughed with them. Please don’t make me kill somebody. I could poison their drinks because of you.
Ha! Please o! She begged.
Can I get you another bottle of Heineken? I offered; the bill is on me! I said.
Hmm, its like you have some money to burn abi? You sent this plate of gizzard which your colleague said you have paid for and now you want to buy me another bottle of beer. I gave you a little tip but you rejected it. Is this your own tactics for catching your babes here? She asked.
No! I said; you wont understand, but please I asked you a question earlier
I am not married! She said; I am a two hundred levels student at the Imo state University IMSU. My hostel is close by; I just want to check this place out as I have heard a lot about it.
What course are you studying? I asked.
Mass communication; she said.
Hmm, that’s nice, you will be a beautiful news caster, so what is your name? I ventured to ask; and I mean your real name please.
She laughed once more and I joined her, I was feeling free and lighter like some butterflies in my stomach.
My name is Chioma; she said, and you, what is your name? she asked
My name is Bolaji, I said.
Bolaji? She asked; are you Yoruba?
Pure and applied! I said. I am from Ekiti state.
Wow! What brings an Ekiti boy to be working in a Bar in Owerri? She asked
Hmm, its simple! It is what brought you here that brought me too, I said
Are you in school? She asked.
Four hundred levels EE at FUTO, I said
EE as in Electrical Electronics? She asked
Yep! I said
It’s a lie! She said
We both laughed out loud together and at that moment, the general Manager of the Hotel walked into the Bush Bar. He looked around the bar and asked of me. I saw Emeka pointing at our table so Mr. Daniel came towards out table.

Omo! How are you? He greeted
I am fine sir! Meet my friend Chioma! Chioma meet my Boss Mr. Daniel, we call him Oga Dan!
Good evening sir! Chioma greeted.
Oga Dan greeted her and they spoke briefly in Igbo Language, she kept laughing.
Omo please take care of my Sister o! She is from my State of origin o! We are both from Enugu state! He said as he walked away.
Your Boss is a funny Man, she said
What did he say to you? I asked
He was praising you; he said this is the first time he is seeing you with a girl, he said you are very intelligent and the best in your department. He said you are a hustler and I should not loose you. Is it true? She asked; are you the best in your department?
I cant say I am the best! But I am not doing badly; I said.
Is it true that you have not been seen with a woman here before? She asked.
Yes! I replied.
And why is that? She asked
Hmm, my story is a long one, I said.
I am all ears, tell it. She said.
Don’t worry, not today, but someday you will read about it. So tell me about yourself! I continued; do you have a boy friend?
Of course I have many! I am a student and there are boys every where around me, and of course they are my friends! She teased.
Oh no! that’s not what I mean nah! I meant to ask if you are in a relationship.
You and your questions! First it was if I was married, now it is if I have a boyfriend. What about if I said yes?
Then I would ask to be your friend, just friends! I replied.
What are you afraid of?
I have seen a lot of things while working in this hotel that I would never attempt to take over another Man’s woman. I wish to live long and whole.
She laughed out loud.
Yoruba man! You people are cowards!
Thanks for the compliment! I said
She laughed out loud again.
You are not even angry that I said you guys are cowards; she said
I started hearing that four years ago when I came to the east. You guys believe the yorubas’ are cowards.
And what do you say to that? She asked.
You have a right to your opinion my sister! I said.
I want to know your opinion about that my opinion.
You believed what you were told, we are all products of the environment we grew up in. I also had certain opinions about the Igbos before I came down here, but my opinion had changed having spent some years here so perhaps if you travel out of the east to the west and live among the Yorubas, your opinion may change. But for cowardice, I would say that an average Yoruba think twice before going into a fight or into a business, he weighs the risks inherent and the consequences, then decides if it worth it before venturing. We also have Yorubas who do not give a damn and plunge into danger and come out unscathed. So it is relative, it all depends on your up bringing.
Hmm, man of wisdom! She said. I think you made a point there. Well I was kidding though, that is not my opinion, and I do not generalize.
So back to square one! I said. Are you in a serious relationship?
No sir! I am not! She said.
Thank God! I said.
Thank God for what?
At least I am not encroaching! I said.
She paused a while before she said; I was going out with a part 3 student last year, he is in part 4 now, but we are through.
What happened? I asked
He is a womanizer and a cultist too! He has just been made the Capo of the Black Bats Confraternity in my school. I told him I needed to stay clear so as to be free from harm. It is dangerous dating such a guy on campus you know?
Wow! Capone’s girl friend? Yeepa! Mogbe? I exclaimed
And what is that supposed to mean? She asked; you are scared already?
My dear, I said; to say the truth, I would not like to be involved in any issue with a cultist o! I have heard a lot of sordid and nostalgic stories about their capabilities, let alone a Capone!
She laughed until tears came to her eyes
Chai! Onye Yoruba! She exclaimed; you are scared!
Look Choma! You can call it whatever you like, but I am an only child with a complicated and disjointed family back ground. I have gone through so much in life to come and allow one Cultist kill me over a girl on Campus! I said.
Which means you cannot risk your life for me? She asked.
Look! You are adorable, you are sweet, your beauty and mien has captured me, but I am not an idiot! Excuse me for a moment. I said as I got up and dashed to the bar to get a bottle of Gulder the “Ultimate” and a bottle of Heineken the “Chairman” for Chioma. Emeka my Colleague asked me; Omo! How far nah? The Babe don fall?
Old boy! Wahala dey o! I replied; not all that glitter is gold o! I added as I collected the drinks and scurried back to Chioma. I opened both bottles and filled our glasses.
Fear-fear Yoruba man! She teased.
No wahala! I agree. I said
So tell me, she said; which Cult do you belong to in your school?
I am not a Cultist! I snapped
Why are you so defensive? She asked
Defensive of what nah? I am not a secret cult member and will never be! I restated.
Well, she continued; I like Cultiists! I feel protected with them and it is fun rolling out with them especially when there is peace on campus.
Jeez! I exclaimed. You like Cultists? I asked.
She laughed but the laughter had no effect on me this time around. My Gulder was making me bolder and more reasonable.
Okay , look at it from my point of view, she took a long sip from her glass and gave out a slight belch, the she continued; when I gained admission into the University last year, I had so many toasters coming daily to ask for friendship. Even my room mates and hostel mates became jealous of the array of men that came visiting me in the room that I was warned by the leader of the Black Angels to reduce the influx of men to my room. She later asked me to join their clique if I must continue to do as I please in the hostel.
My life was so engaged with people that I almost ran out of school. The black brassier, the white Angels! The black Angels! And the Amazon Confraternities all wanted me to recruit me. On the other hand, different shades of male Cultists wanted to date me. In the second semester when the pressure continued, I had no choice but to give in to Julius popularly called “Major”. He was involved in school politics and an active member of the Black Bats. He happens to be a very charming guy too and he has his ways with the Ladies. My relationship with him scared every other guy from toasting me. Both male and female. Did I tell you that I had female toasters too? She asked
How? I asked.
She laughed; are you that naïve? Stop behaving like a Jew I beg!

There are lesbians and bisexuals all over the Campus that wanted to sleep with me also!
Jesus! I exclaimed.
Chai! Yoruba boy! She teased; well I like you sha! Your humility and your pure innocence appeals to me!
Please! I said; please don’t like me! I pleaded.
What is that nah? Don’t be a Jew please! She said.
No! no! I want to remain a Jew! I replied.
She laughed out loud and held my hands over the table.
I was tactically pulling my hand from her grip when she gripped it tight and became serious.
Yoruba man! She called.
Bolaji! I replied.
Sorry, Bolaji! Cool down! What is your problem? I have not even told you half of my story and you are scared already! Don’t you like me again? She asked.
No! No! No! I don’t! I replied. You are dangerous! I said.
She released her grip on my hand and recoiled, she sank into her chair and held her head I her hands, the next thing I realized was that she was sobbing.
Now I was more confused because I was looking for an opportunity to leave her but for her spontaneous change of character, I could not fathom.
What is the problem Chioma? Why are you crying? The more I asked, the louder she cried. In order not to create a scene in the Bar, I pulled her up and led her upstairs to one of the rooms I had access to the key. She followed me quietly.
As I closed and locked the door behind us, she started to wail, and as she cried, she told me her story.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Abandoned Child by Fijumokesayo(f): 10:23am On Jun 09, 2016
Hehehehhe see gobe! Biko run far o Bolaji but wetin be her story na? Well done sir

1 Like

Re: The Abandoned Child by charijee(f): 12:21pm On Jun 09, 2016
Omo see gobe! !...Bolaji about to enter another complicated phase of his life

More inspiration to you, Domawoleye
Re: The Abandoned Child by JeffreyJamez(m): 1:17pm On Jun 09, 2016
I see problem!
Re: The Abandoned Child by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 10:47am On Jun 12, 2016
She is a product of a broken home, her father had run away with an Edo woman leaving her mother with herself and her kid brother when she was just seven years old in primary 3 in Benin City where she and her brother were born. The father was a staff of Chevron Oil Company and was sent on internationalization to the Middle East. He absconded with her mother’s closest friend who happens to be her class teacher. Auntie Osas!
Three years later, her mother relocated to the east, Enugu, she got a job as a secondary school teacher at Trans Ekulu Girls secondary school Enugu. She later became the mistress of an Enugu based millionaire who built a bungalow for her and took over the responsibilities of her elusive husband.
When she was seventeen and awaiting the result of her JAMB examination, she took a part time job as the secretary to the mother’s man friend.

She lost her virginity to him inside his office, on his desk. He had made her drink some whiskey while waiting for the rain to subside after the close of work on a Friday evening. He gave her some money the next day and made her promise not to tell her mother.
It became a regular affair as he took her along on all his travels, exposing her to people and places of importance both home and abroad. She had all the good things of life plus a very fat bank account.

Things changed when her mother was arrested at the Murtala Mohammed international airport for drug trafficking by the NDLEA. Her sponsor was her millionaire Man- friend and he was subsequently arrested. Both were sentenced to forty years jail term and are currently serving.
She had to re sit for JAMB examination as she did not follow up on her admission two years before her involvement with her mother’s man. She had a lot of money saved in her bank and she could take care of herself and her younger one.

When she gained admission into IMSU, she faced a lot of challenges before finally settling down for Major simply because she wanted protection.

Please don’t hate me! Don’t be scared of me! Is it because I told you the truth? She asked. I never knew you before today but I felt as if I have known you for ages that was why I spoke freely with you. I felt I could confide in you that was why I told you about Major not because I am proud to be dating him. I have never being in love, people have been taking advantage of me and I had no choice than to turn such opportunities to my advantage too. I am not a bad person, though I have been spoilt and pampered with money. I drink, I smoke, I go clubbing but I can change! I promise you, I can change!
She clung tightly to me as she buried her face in my chest crying. I held her close for comfort and kept patting her back and encouraging her that all was well. She slept in my arms that night. I could not sleep. I was torn between two worlds! Confusion and fear!

For me, I have no father and my mother was somewhere in Lagos prostituting. I am in school by my own effort and here is a girl I just met and fell for. Her father had run away and her mother is in jail. She is in school by her own effort too. I thought like terms they say repels while unlike terms attracts. The two of us should not be together!

As I looked at her face as she slept soundly with tear stained face, I felt pity for her, I imagined the frankness and openness with which she spoke and I said to myself ; here is another victim of circumstances that have adapted her circumstance to her own favour! Here is another survivor! And I resolved to be with her, with hope that she will change for good.
I picked up a textbook and began to read. I did not go back to duty.

Early in the morning I woke her up with a kiss on her lips, she opened her eyes and saw me, she yawned and called my name and smiled, then we kissed some more, I was inexperienced, she was experienced. She felt for my hardness and held on to it. I was on fire! Relax! She said; just relax! I am not running away, try to be calm! Breathe in and out, breathe normally, she said; I tried to breathe normally but I could not. I was breathing like a leaking hose.
She sat up and removed her clothes slowly, all of it! I almost had a heart attack. I had never been so close to a naked woman let alone in the same bed.
I hurriedly took off my clothes too, I had problems removing my boxers but I eventually did with her help. I happen to be heavily endowed down there and she was shocked at the size and thickness of my hardness as she held it in both hands. She took my hands to her bosom; play with me! She said.
I remembered some erotic movies I had seen. I know what to do.
After a while, she stopped me, she pushed my head up from her bosom and she asked; Bolaji! You have heard my story, are you going to be there for me or you are just going to take advantage of me?
What a question at such critical moment? What was she expecting me to say? I love you! Was all I could mutter as I dug my head back to business.
Are you sure? She asked; yes! Yes! I replied as I kissed her all over. I love you too! She replied; I have never told anyone that, she said. She then spread out and guided me into her, she held her breathe as I slowly pushed into her inch by inch until I was fully buried inside her. She wrapped her legs around me and pulled me closer, then she whispered into my ear; you are so big! I love you.

CHAPTER 16

It was time for my six months industrial attachment program and fortunately for me, it coincided with the time of expansion and renovation of the Hotel.
I told Oga Dan about my IT program and my desire to work in an establishment where I could put my learning into practice so he talked with the Contractor handling the renovation project and I was recruited as an IT student for six months. The company, “Vita Logistics” Limited is a building engineering company covering civil and electrical engineering works. I moved a lot with the company to their various project sites and participated in trouble shooting, maintenance and installation of electrical and electronics appliances. It was a big learning point for me for all I had learnt in school were brought to practice and I even learnt some more. I always felt proud working with my hand gloves and helmet on. I learnt about safety health and environment and I attended several seminars and workshops under the auspices of the company. I never knew such emphasis was being placed on safety at the work place.
I was so engrossed with the company that I barely had time for other activities; the company had a lot of ongoing projects with the government so we traveled a lot. Many times I slept outside Owerri due to job demand. It was the job that took me for the first time to the almighty “Garden City” of Port Harcourt. The GRA in that town does not sleep at night! We lodged at hotels in the GRA; our favourite was Bougainvillea Hotel at Sani Abacha road. The road that is busy twenty four hours daily!
At a time we spent three months at a stretch without visiting Owerri. We were shuttling between Port Harcourt and Yenegoa town working. I missed Chioma, I missed the bar and I missed my Clippers. The only hair I cut within this period was mine and my colleagues at work whom we were traveling together, but generally I was happy working and being called an Engineer gives quite a satisfactory feeling.
The company pays us daily “out of Station” allowance, they carter for our accommodation and feeding, they even pay for complimentary drinks in the Fridges in our hotel rooms. We were treated like VIPs’. I had little or no use for money so I had a lot of savings in my bank account.

After five months of industrial training, we finally came down to Owerri for one week recess. Immediately we parked our car at the Executive Gardens hotel, I told the driver to take me to IMSU. I needed to see Chioma. He agreed to take me there after lunch; we arrived at the lunch hour.
I did not see him after lunch, he had run off to see his family too, every one of us had been complaining of missing our loved ones.

I took a taxi cab to IMSU in the company of the Hotel’s DJ; DJ Slam happened to be a student of IMSU too and pretty popular. He goes on dread locks and wears a ring on his left ear. I was dressed in a light blue jeans and a Lumber jack shirt on a black safety boot. DJ Slam’s dressing is indescribable, I can only say he is a crazy dresser, and he reminds me of the Nigerian Denrele Edun.

Chioma lost control when she saw us entering her class room. She screamed my name from the back of the class room. There was no lecture going on and the class was a little rowdy as the students were rushing to submit an assignment to the class Rep. She rushed towards me, pushing and apologizing as she tore through the moving bodies in the class room. I was grinning from ear to ear as she jumped into my open arms. I almost lost balance, we clung tight to each other tight and spun. She released me and gave Slam a brief hug then she came back into my arms.
Let’s go to the joint! Slam offered
Can I come with my friends? She asked; they have been dying to meet you!
Baby, you can come with the whole class! Slam said. And we laughed.
Yes dear, call your friends! I said and she beckoned at two equally beautiful girls advancing towards us.
Wow! Slam exclaimed; you go give me one of them o!
You? Chioma asked.
Yes nah! Slam replied.
Tufiakwa! I cannot give you my friend! If not for the fact that I know what linked you and Bolaji together, I will never come near you! Chioma said.
We all laughed, I understand her fears, for DJ Slam is a really randy and bad guy.
I got to meet her friends, Tessy and Katty, their names actually were Teresa and Katherine and together we spent the rest of the evening moving from one joint to another and ended up at Executive gardens at the end of the day. I went upstairs with Chioma, DJ Slam went to his room with Katty while Oga Dan went with Tessy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Abandoned Child by kevwecute1(f): 12:58pm On Jun 12, 2016
Interesting shocked[color=#990000][/color]
Re: The Abandoned Child by showmethemoney(m): 10:39pm On Jun 13, 2016
Oga dome don't starve me with rest of this story abeg more ink to ur pen.
Re: The Abandoned Child by DOMAWOLEYE(m): 11:33am On Jun 17, 2016
My relationship with Chioma blossomed with time and when I returned to school for my final year programme, we were well known together. DJ Slam introduced me to her Cultist boyfriend and we became friends although the guy thought I belong to the same confraternity with Slam. In fact people were suspicious of my relationship with DJ Slam outside the hotel that we worked.

DJ Slam happened to be an all round bad guy in the City of Owerri. He was into partisan politics as he organizes thugs and body guards for politicians during campaigns, they indulge in stealing ballot boxes and eliminating rivals of their sponsors by any means. He was also a love-vendor. He organizes Campus babes for the politicians and he gets his cuts from the girls. He called his political godfathers his “Chairmen”. The Campus girls that indulge in “runs” hail Slam whenever they run into him any where, “Slam o! Slam o! You hear them hail while he raises his hands up in acknowledgement, “yes o! Yes o! He replies them.

Slam was also the conduit between many students who want to bribe any Lecturer to inflate their examination scores. He also knows people in the exams and records department that could make a students file disappear for ever and to cap it all, he was the number two man of the Neo movement. When ever I am with him, I have mixed feelings, sometimes I feel tough with him, some times I get jittery and scared.
While on Campus, Slam is a wild creature but when he is on the wheel of steel mixing sounds as a DJ he is very amiable. He was also called the cat with the nine lives having being a staunch member of the from his year one till date, he had escaped many attempts on his life by rival cult sects and rival political thugs. The strongest weapon he has was his ears! He is well informed. His allies, his girls, his fellow cultist, the call girls at the hotel all inform him of what goes on in Owerri and beyond. A lot of people tell him things in whispers and he always disappears and reappears when he is in school, his movements are never predictable. He changes his mind on decisions taken at the last minute without apologies to inconveniences to others.

It was Slam himself that convinced Chioma that I was still a Jew man and not a cultist when my friendship with him so close and people had started to talk.
The truth is that I would have willingly joined the if Slam had insisted because I was so much involved with the group that I even attend their parties but Slam had other use for me. He was also an engineering student and I did all his home works, assignments and examinations for him while I enjoyed his protection. We were in different schools though but we were all in the city of Owerri.

In my final year, I lived in the hotel, I still worked with the construction company and I get paid every month. I still worked at the bar at night and I had started mixing sounds too with the help of DJ Slam so I was like a utility staff at the hotel, I was useful in various departments as I also help out at the barbing salon and cleaning of the rooms and getting the laundry done.
My practical experience during my industrial training helped me immensely in my final year as it was as if I had done all that was being taught in school.

Second semester final year, I wrote a long letter to Mr. Adegoke, I skipped any mention of DJ Slam in my letter. I was twenty six years old and I was doing well. I realized I had over seven hundred thousand naira in my bank account; the desire to buy a Car came upon me suddenly. DJ Slam’s younger brother was based in Belgium and sends cars home for sale once in a while. Slam said I could get a clean Volx wagon gulf for three hundred and fifty thousand naira.
I told Mr. Adegoke about the car idea in the letter that I wrote to him, I also told him about Chioma and my increasing love for her.

In his reply a month later, he repeatedly warned me not to buy the Car while still in school and while still working and living free of charge in the hotel. He said I might need the money after my National youth service scheme upon my graduation from school. He also said my buying a car would send the wrong signals.
About Chioma, he wished me well; he however said I should not be too emotionally involved so as not to loose concentration on my studies. He said I should keep saving my earnings for the rainy days, he said no amount of money is enough for one man so I should think that I have “arrived” because of a paltry seven hundred thousand naira. He wrote that my age mates working in oil firms earn twice that amount monthly so what is the big deal? He also warned me never to tell Chioma about the money I have in the bank because she is not my wife. He wrote that she could tell it to persons that might not have my interest at heart. She said women like to show off with their men’s accomplishment. He also said she may not be experienced enough to advise me well,
The problem was that I had shown Chioma my bank pass book and Chioma had told her friends about my desire to buy a Car, she went further to tell them that I would buy her one too after my own.

It was Katty that came visiting on an environmental sanitation morning on a Saturday. Chioma had travelled home to Enugu that weekend. We were downstairs at the hotel cleaning the surrounding when she came so she collected the key to my room and went upstairs.
After working for about three hours cleaning the environment, I went upstairs to clean up, I opened my door and went inside, Katty was on my bed reading a book; I went straight into the bath room to bath.
I came out of the bathroom with towel wrapped around my waist and was shocked to see Katty standing before me in complete nude. I opened my mouth to speak and she quickly stepped forward and placed a finger over my lips. I was shocked to say the least and my mouth remained opened with no sound coming out until she planted her mouth on mine and took my right hand to her breast.
It was like I was transfixed where I stood trying to get control of my self but my body was responding swiftly to all her touch and when she pulled down my boxers, I was amazed at the massive and hard erection from my crouch. I knew instantly that I had fallen! And I allowed my self to fall further when she went on her knees.

DJ Slam was all laughs as I narrated my experience with Katty to him. He said Tessy would soon come for me but I did not believe him and I vowed to ensure it does not happen again with Katty or Tessy for that matter. I told him I would confess to Chioma but he warned me never to try it.
Old boy wetin dey do you? He asked; you be woman wrapper? Why you dey talk like a Jew man so?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Abandoned Child by kevwecute1(f): 1:26pm On Jun 17, 2016
Wow,captivating, more plssss cryWow,captivating, more plssss
Re: The Abandoned Child by rfnextar8(m): 3:41pm On Jun 17, 2016
Nice write-up bro more ink to your pen
it's really fascinating

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Mended Hearts / Unwanted- Safarigirl / The Adventure Of Corper John

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 206
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.