Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,115 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' (3788 Views)

Israel Strikes 12 Iranian Targets In Syria Over Downed Fighter Jet: / Again: US Downs Syrian Fighter Jet Engaged In Anti-daesh Operations / Russians Focus On Next-generation Technologies : Yuri Borisov (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by mazeltov(m): 8:19pm On Feb 25, 2016
Just as the US is continuing to develop its latest fifth-generation aircraft in the form of the F-35 Lightning II, Russia has been working steadily toward its own version of a next-generation aircraft.

Unfortunately for Russia, its PAK FA, also known as the T-50, is having developmental issues that put its entire premise of being a fifth-generation fighter into question.

Reporting from the Singapore Airshow 2016, IHS Jane's reports that "Russian industry has consistently referred to the Sukhoi T-50 PAK FA as a fifth-generation aircraft, but a careful look at the program reveals that this is an 'in name only' designation."

This is largely because of a lack of evolutionary technology aboard the plane compared with previous jets that Russia and the US have designed. Indeed, the PAK FA's engines are the same as those aboard Russia's 4++ generation (a bridging generation between fourth- and fifth-generation aircraft) Su-35. Additionally, the PAK FA and the Su-35 share many of the same onboard systems.

And even when the PAK FA's systems are different from the Su-35's, the plane's specifications are still not up to true fifth-generation standards.

RealClearDefense, citing Indian media reports that are familiar with a PAK FA variant being constructed in India, notes that the plane has multiple technological problems. Among these problems are the plane's "engine performance, the reliability of its AESA radar, and poor stealth engineering."

The question of stealth is one of the largest factors influencing perceptions of the PAK FA. In 2010 and 2011, two estimates from individuals close to the program estimated that the plane's radar cross section would be 0.3 to 0.5 square meters, RealClearDefense notes.
In comparison, the US Air Force has hinted that the radar cross section of the F-22 is as small as 0.0001 square meters. The F-35's RCS is larger, but it is still minuscule when compared with that of the PAK FA, as it has an RCS of roughly 0.001 square meters.

It is helpful to bear in mind, however, that actual RCS numbers are classified. Neither Russia nor the US has released the actual RCS of its aircraft. Nevertheless, if the estimations are anywhere near accurate, the PAK FA is significantly less stealthy than its US equivalents.

Currently, Russia is planning on purchasing 12 PAK FA, down from an initial order of 52 because of problems with the plane, rising costs, and problems facing Russia's economy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/russias-newest-fighter-jet-is-fifth-generation-in-name-only-2016-2?hl=1&noRedirect=1

Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by Tpave(m): 8:24pm On Feb 25, 2016
Na waoooohh!! These people want to destroy this world before Jesus go come.
Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by mazeltov(m): 9:01pm On Feb 25, 2016
Tpave:
Na waoooohh!! These people want to destroy this world before Jesus go come.
lolzz. the world will never be destroyed by anything ''warhead'' .
Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by Missy89(f): 11:22pm On Feb 25, 2016
You mean Russia's 5th gen jet was just propaganda? Is that so? grin

Lmfao

4 Likes

Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by ValerianSteel(m): 11:56pm On Feb 25, 2016

shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by vedaxcool(m): 9:21am On Feb 26, 2016
And the unfortunate thing is the foolish boy kisser - Putin rather improve his people living standards prefers feed them on propaganda and vodka! We live in a cold world, when competing with the US take precedence over development that will be beneficial to the general public!
Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by fineguy11(m): 9:45am On Feb 26, 2016
Why should any country pour in resources to produce ''STEALTH JETS" that can be detected and shot down?the 112million dollar F-117 nighthawk(bomber), shot down by a ''1962'' russian air defence system comes to mind!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 26, 2016
Seeing how Amerika & Britain have been demonizing Putin & everything that Russia stands for; Y then would anyone in their right minds believe anything coming from such hypocritical & deceitful western media outlets? grin

8 Likes

Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by ValerianSteel(m): 10:38am On Feb 26, 2016
fineguy11:
Why should any country pour in resources to produce ''STEALTH JETS" that can be detected and shot down?the 112million dollar F-117 nighthawk(bomber), shot down by a ''1962'' russian air defence system comes to mind!
Are you implying that Stealth Jets are meaningless in Modern Warfare.That's cheap coming from you.

Are you also saying ADS are a replacement to fighter jets in the skies and thus countries should invest on ADS rather than on capable Stealth jets?

Last I checked,the S-400 doesn't fly sorties.Wake me up the day they doundecided
Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by NairaMinted: 11:38am On Feb 26, 2016
Of course it isnt stealth. Only products churned out by the Amerikan Military Industrial Complex are worthy and anything else is basically just junk. Russian so called 5th generation jets are actually 4th jets mocked up to look like 5th generation. They basically dressed up an older generation jet with slick props to look modern.

Don't forget that their warships too are rusty buckets and their submarines death traps.

Meanwhile, in other propaganda news wink:

3 Likes

Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by NairaMinted: 11:43am On Feb 26, 2016
Zoharariel:
Seeing how Amerika & Britain have been demonizing Putin & everything that Russia stands for; Y then would anyone in their right minds believe anything coming from such hypocritical & deceitful western media outlets? grin

Shut up, Zoharariel! What propaganda? We all know Putler is evil personified, is the mastermind of the new Cold War and wants to reinstate the Russian empire
Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 26, 2016
NairaMinted:

Shut up, Zoharariel! What propaganda? We all know Putler is evil personified, is the mastermind of the new Cold War and wants to reinstate the Russian empire

grin grin grin
Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by Missy89(f): 2:13pm On Feb 26, 2016
Apologist won't tell you why the story is untrue instead, they will troll by posting meaningless comments.

Don''t sniff putin's pant for a living. It affects the brain

Lolz

2 Likes

Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by fineguy11(m): 4:22pm On Feb 26, 2016
ValerianSteel:
Are you implying that Stealth Jets are meaningless in Modern Warfare.That's cheap coming from you.

Are you also saying ADS are a replacement to fighter jets in the skies and thus countries should invest on ADS rather than on capable Stealth jets?

Last I checked,the S-400 doesn't fly sorties.Wake me up the day they doundecided
S-400 dont fly sorties coz they're designed to dectect and shoot down jets like the f-22 and the future f-35's.
Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by fineguy11(m): 6:22pm On Feb 26, 2016
ValerianSteel:

And by cabable STEALTH JETS u mean the ones that can only party in the skies of 3rd world/developing nation!

1 Like

Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by Nobody: 6:30pm On Feb 26, 2016
fineguy11:

And by cabable STEALTH JETS u mean the ones that can only party in the skies of 3rd world/developing nation!

Hhaaaaaaaa! Fear of S-125 in Yugoslavia, S-300 in Iran & S-400 in Syria. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by fineguy11(m): 6:39pm On Feb 26, 2016
Zoharariel:

Hhaaaaaaaa! Fear of S-125 in Yugoslavia, S-300 in Iran & S-400 in Syria. grin
i just tire for this peope and their FUSS abt stealth...forget naija is a devloping nation,i dare the US to fly that f-22 raptor over the skies of Benin,i'll shoot that plane down with my newly developed S-6000 catapult which can fire two granite stones over a distance of 1000km..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by ValerianSteel(m): 9:16pm On Feb 26, 2016
fineguy11:
S-400 dont fly sorties coz they're designed to dectect and shoot down jets like the f-22 and the future f-35's.
You DHL's truly lack comprehension skills.

Since you can't read and comprehend,my point simply is:

Your statement implies that funding the production of fighter jets is wasteful resources rather ADS should be funded.

I countered by asking if you are equating the role of a Stealth fighter jet to that of an ADS and are ADS a replacement for Stealth jets.You haven't rightly answered this.

Every modern air force needs a capable stealth fighter,Air Defense Systems would never take the role of Stealth fighters neither can they replace them in the sky.They are built for separate purposes and very far different uses.So how can you condemn production of Stealth Fighters as meaningless.I haven't read in the news that the S-400 can now fly in the air on missions to take out targets.

Is that simple enough for you nowundecided

1 Like

Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by fineguy11(m): 1:41pm On Feb 27, 2016
ValerianSteel:
You DHL's truly lack comprehension skills.

Since you can't read and comprehend,my point simply is:

Your statement implies that funding the production of fighter jets is wasteful resources rather ADS should be funded.

I countered by asking if you are equating the role of a Stealth fighter jet to that of an ADS and are ADS a replacement for Stealth jets.You haven't rightly answered this.

Every modern air force needs a capable stealth fighter,Air Defense Systems would never take the role of Stealth fighters neither can they replace them in the sky.They are built for separate purposes and very far different uses.So how can you condemn production of Stealth Fighters as meaningless.I haven't read in the news that the S-400 can now fly in the air on missions to take out targets.
Is that simple enough for you nowundecided
pls indulge me a little.,U are US and i am RUSSIA,u claim to have built stealth aircraft while i make do with my capable 4th generation crafts..u spent billions of dollars to produce jets with claims that it has ''stealth'' technology which makes ur jets invincible to enemy radars,,but one of my OUTDATED defence system has spoted one of your invincible stealth craft and shot it down.,while my 4th generation crafts still help me get the job done with a almost perfect accuracy..in a nutshell,you have no advantage over me when it comes to air superiority because just as u'av taken the pain to design a craft that can penetrate the defence of many countries,,i have also built an ADS that can actually spot ur STEALTH FIGHTERS 400KM away even before it enters my airspace..and to answer ur question,ADS can never take the place of aircraft,i only responded to a 'part' of that particular comment..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by whitecloth: 6:36am On Feb 29, 2016
mazeltov:
lolzz. the world will never be destroyed by anything ''warhead'' .
so tell me, what will end this world.
Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by Angelou(m): 10:35am On Feb 29, 2016
fineguy11:
i just tire for this peope and their FUSS abt stealth...forget naija is a devloping nation,i dare the US to fly that f-22 raptor over the skies of Benin,i'll shoot that plane down with my newly developed S-6000 catapult which can fire two granite stones over a distance of 1000km..
haha.. pls at what speed can this device of yours propel a granite stone and at what force level? i'm a private weapon manufacturer and i seek to improve innovative instruments of war like yours in the course of my quest to expand the caliphate.
contact me via the following channels if your are interested in my proposal:
www.binladengroups.com
baghdadi@binladengroups.com
Thanks
Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by Appleyard(m): 5:19pm On Mar 01, 2016
fineguy11:
You certainly know your history! grin grin
Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by Appleyard(m): 5:25pm On Mar 01, 2016
Zoharariel:
Just as they forgot to mention that the F-35 won't need anybody to shoot it down before it destroy itself, after successfully killing it's pilot by suffocation and neck snapping. What a waste of billion dollars. God help those poor. souls.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by Appleyard(m): 6:24pm On Mar 01, 2016
NairaMinted:
Of course it isnt stealth. Only products churned out by the Amerikan Military Industrial Complex are worthy and anything else is basically just junk. Russian so called 5th generation jets are actually 4th jets mocked up to look like 5th generation. They basically dressed up an older generation jet with slick props to look modern.

Don't forget that their warships too are rusty buckets and their submarines death traps.

Meanwhile, in other propaganda news wink:
Yeah! They are all rusty buckets, that even the smallest of them can lunch missiles crossing two countries-demonstrating capabilities previously unknown. And don't forget the subs are the worst, yeah, truely they are death traps, as they can lie undected for weeks in the coast of Califonia. And one of its older variants operated by the Chinese, in 2007, did surfaced by a USS Carrier ship, undetected, sparking panicked outrage from the Yankees innocent zombiefied sailors.
They have every right to be angry, brother, especially when you are rudely awoke from a delusional coma of your country's acclaimed exceptional-ism, imbibed and engrained through the twin pillars of propaganda and hollywitch zombie-fortification.

But that is how it work, brother. The battlefield is the mind. Malcom X warning quickly comes to mind.
Thus, you're right. If its not American, then it must be junk. It can never be equal, let alone being better.

That's propaganda for you. The hallmark of zombie-ism!
Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by Appleyard(m): 6:52pm On Mar 01, 2016
NairaMinted:

grin Yeah! When ''Hilarious kill-thing'' made that claim during the Ukrain brouhaha, i couldn't help bursting out loud in repulsive laughter. If she had said something else, it would have been better, but towing the line of CIA controlled journal houses, it shows how unintelligent, unaware and flawed she is in her judgement.
Brazil is nine times the size of Nigeria. The US is bigger than Brazil. Russia is almost twice the size of the US, so what does she need additional lands for?

Now you can immagine that this is the same kind of person, oblivious to the core, aspiring to be the president of the United States. How the founding fathers must be turning over in their graves.

And in addition, ''Putler is also the Richest man in the world.'' How disappointed Bill and his globalist Gate must be feeling now. grin

What a world!

1 Like

Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by Appleyard(m): 7:01pm On Mar 01, 2016
fineguy11:
grin
Re: Russia's Newest Fighter Jet Is 5th-generation 'in Name Only' by Appleyard(m): 7:05pm On Mar 01, 2016
fineguy11:
pls indulge me a little.,U are US and i am RUSSIA,u claim to have built stealth aircraft while i make do with my capable 4th generation crafts..u spent billions of dollars to produce jets with claims that it has ''stealth'' technology which makes ur jets invincible to enemy radars,,but one of my OUTDATED defence system has spoted one of your invincible stealth craft and shot it down.,while my 4th generation crafts still help me get the job done with a almost perfect accuracy..in a nutshell,you have no advantage over me when it comes to air superiority because just as u'av taken the pain to design a craft that can penetrate the defence of many countries,,i have also built an ADS that can actually spot ur STEALTH FIGHTERS 400KM away even before it enters my airspace..and to answer ur question,ADS can never take the place of aircraft,i only responded to a 'part' of that particular comment..
No need to add further comments.

(1) (Reply)

The Only Woman On Earth That Married The President Of Two Different Countries / Muslims In Switzerland Starting Their Own Wahala, Burn Swiss Flag / Too Hot: Female Russian Spy Disguising As Girlfriend To Ukrainian Pilot Busted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.