Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,878 members, 7,828,124 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts (5344 Views)

Mechanics , Touts, Hotels Tops Beneficiaries Of Lagos Island Flood / Bayelsa Indigenes Clash With Igbo Traders / Hausa Community And Traders Clash In Asaba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by astrodome: 4:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Market Touts Headed By Monday Ijoba Over Continuous Extortion

February 26, 2016 Newsflash Editor News 0

One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Market Touts Headed By Monday Ijoba Over Continuous Extortion

One person confirmed dead as traders at the Ladipo Market in the Oshodi area of Lagos, on Thursday protested against alleged continuous extortion by one Monday Ijoba. It was learnt that Ijoba and his gang members were reportedly employed by the local government authority in the area to collect charges from the traders.
Displaying placards: “Monday, enough is enough”, among others, the traders chanted war songs. The market is dominated by Igbo, who sell spare parts, electronics and others.

It was learnt that policemen and soldiers mobilized to the scene, but some of the protesters reportedly fired gunshots to chase them away.

According to Punch, a trader, whose identity had yet to be identified, was hit by a stray bullet and died, while some others were injured.

Monday Ijoba’s boys had attacked a trader, who challenged them on the extortion last week. The trader was seriously injured and was said to have died.

The trader’s death provoked the Thursday’s protest, which started around 9am, and paralyzed all commercial activities in the market.

The rioters openly hurled bottles and other weapons at Ijoba’s gang members.

The fracas lasted for a few hours before the security operatives were able to restore normalcy to the area.

A trader, who identified himself as Chibuzor, said Monday Ijoba had been chased out of the market, adding that he would not be allowed to lord it over them.
But another trader, who identified himself only as Emeka, urged the state government to intervene in the tussle to forestall further breakdown of law and order.

He said, “As long as Monday (Ijoba) insists that he is in control of the market, peace will not reign because people do not want him. I just want the government to come in and settle the matter amicably. We cannot afford to lose more persons to this protest.”

http://www.newsflashnaija.com/index.php/2016/02/26/one-person-confirmed-dead-as-angry-igbo-traders-clash-with-market-touts-headed-by-monday-ijoba-over-continuous-extortion/

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by astrodome: 4:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
Can Lagos government and the Lagos Yorubas be a little bit more civilized and ''shofisticated'' in such business matters? Why not appoint recognized and corporate entities to collect these levies? Or better still automate the system so that fees and levies are paid to a bank account? Why use touts and illiterates to intimidate legit business people?

And the traders, can you not get yourselves organized and approach the government with a request to do things the right way? Can you not pay these levies directly to a Lagos Govt bank account? You are too big to allow illiterate uncouth touts to razzle you every now and then.

You all (Lagos govt, Lagos touts, and Ladipo traders) are a bunch of clowns in your zoo of a country. You can never get anything right.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by kingofchess(m): 4:06pm On Feb 26, 2016
RIP to the dead...violence is Neva a way out. those Yoruba taut self....there own too much.

1 Like

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by missKiffy(f): 4:08pm On Feb 26, 2016
Make this people go work nah, rather than extort money up and down lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by naijaking1: 4:19pm On Feb 26, 2016
astrodome:
Can Lagos government and the Lagos Yorubas be a little bit more civilized and ''shofisticated'' in such business matters? Why not appoint recognized and corporate entities to collect these levies? Or better still automate the system so that fees and levies are paid to a bank account? Why use touts and illiterates to intimidate legit business people?

And the traders, can you not get yourselves organized and approach the government with a request to do things the right way? Can you not pay these levies directly to a Lagos Govt bank account? You are too big to allow illiterate uncouth touts to razzle you every now and then.

You all (Lagos govt, Lagos touts, and Ladipo traders) are a bunch of clowns in your zoo of a country. You can never get anything right.

Good points.
It's up to the government to deal with the tax paying traders with appropriate customer service approach.
Until Ambode and his racist officers look upon traders as well meaning revenue generating members of the society there will be no peace

2 Likes

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by Nobody: 4:21pm On Feb 26, 2016
The only thing we need to make this country move forward is LOVE.

2 Likes

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by Nobody: 4:22pm On Feb 26, 2016
It was learnt that policemen and soldiers mobilized to the scene, but some of the protesters reportedly fired gunshots to chase them away.
Huh?

1 Like

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by jollymizzle(m): 4:29pm On Feb 26, 2016
This situation is a bit tricky.and honestly i uate this idea but the thing is the lgs know that the collection of tax by these touts is the only way they will get it.as embarassing as it sounds if a tax collector wearing suit goes to these markets, its most likely he will be ignored.The lgs loose about 40% to these touts and the traders are harrasses,threatened while carrying out their lawful activities and its not the best case scenario for both the govt and the traders.i tink a possible solution is having the leaders of the traders union or association to collect these taxes and remit to the govt of course with close supervison.makes life easier for everybody

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by astrodome: 4:32pm On Feb 26, 2016
jollymizzle:
This situation is a bit tricky.and honestly i uate this idea but the thing is the lgs know that the collection of tax by these touts is the only way they will get it.as embarassing as it sounds if a tax collector wearing suit goes to these markets, its most likely he will be ignored.The lgs loose about 40% to these touts and the traders are harrasses,threatened while carrying out their lawful activities and its not the best case scenario for both the govt and the traders.i tink a possible solution is having the leaders of the traders union or association to collect these taxes and remit to the govt of course with close supervison.makes life easier for everybody

Duh!!!! Automate the damn thing. Then give no more than 15 days final grace period per month after payment due date. Anyone who refuses to pay will then be arrested by POLICE not by dirty TOUTS. UNCIVILIZED COUNTRY

5 Likes

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by astrodome: 4:35pm On Feb 26, 2016
asadike:
yoruba people are biting more than they can chew and my people will give it to them in full measure. .

This is unhelpful. The Igbo traders have not helped matters either. They seem to lack modern business and negotiation skills.

asadike:
Finally, ndi igbo my people, its time to bear akulueulo. Invest more in igboland and let lazy yorubas lord it over themselves. Ndi ara.

This is sensible. To reduce the obviously ethnically motivated tax regimes of Lagos government.

2 Likes

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by PentiumPro(f): 4:41pm On Feb 26, 2016
LASG should as a matter of urgency must shut down the market indefinitely to avoid unnecessary break down of law and order, until the traders sign an undertaking to be law-abiding.

8 Likes

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by jollymizzle(m): 4:42pm On Feb 26, 2016
asadike:
Ndi igbo are finally waking up from their slumbers, yoruba people are biting more than they can chew and my people will give it to them in full measure. Rip to d dead. Finally, ndi igbo my people, its time to bear akulueulo. Invest more in igboland and let lazy yorubas lord it over themselves. Ndi ara.
See your people dont need this,the concerned traders want this to be resolved as soon as possible.and tribalism aside,no one wants to see people doing legitimate business suffer.do u tink they are too blind to see or too stupid to know that they can return home.you say this because you arent one of them.it's these type of utterances that has caused the friction between our tribes so before ypu incite your brothers and sisters think first of their well being

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by astrodome: 4:44pm On Feb 26, 2016
PentiumPro:
LASG should as a matter of urgency must shut down the market indefinitely to avoid unnecessary break down of law and order, until the traders sign an undertaking to be law-abiding.

This is a foolish statement. Lagos is not ready to lose the revenue they get from this and other similar markets. If you think these revenues are not substantially, ponder over why the Lag govt keeps sending these touts over to collect them.

OF COURSE, I AM AWARE THAT YOU ARE AN ODUDUWA IRREDENTIST

7 Likes

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by PentiumPro(f): 4:45pm On Feb 26, 2016
jollymizzle:

See your people dont need this,the concerned traders want this to be resolved as soon as possible.and tribalism aside,no one wants to see people doing legitimate business suffer.do u tink they are too blind to see or too stupid to know that they can return home.you say this because you arent one of them.it's these type of utterances that has caused the friction between our tribes so before ypu incite your brothers and sisters think first of their well being

Asadike no get sense to think with intelligence like you.
She can't comprehend little things like the bold, as she has lived all her life in rural Enugu as a mortuary attendant. grin

14 Likes

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by PentiumPro(f): 4:47pm On Feb 26, 2016
astrodome:

This is a foolish statement. Lagos is not ready to lose the revenue they get from this and other similar markets. If you think these revenues are not substantially, ponder over why they Lag govt keeps sending these touts over to collect them.

OF COURSE, I AM AWARE THAT YOU ARE AN ODUDUWA IRREDENTIST

It is better to lose revenue than to lose human life, no matter how you think it's insignificant because of money.

6 Likes

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by jollymizzle(m): 4:51pm On Feb 26, 2016
PentiumPro:

Asadike no get sense to think with intelligence like you.
She can't comprehend little things like the bold, as she has lived all her life in rural Enugu as a mortuary attendant. grin
Lol na waa for our two tribes sha,we dey use mouth kill each other because we are both too civilized to result to killing each other yet too primitive to resolve our little differnces.

3 Likes

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by astrodome: 4:52pm On Feb 26, 2016
PentiumPro:

It is better to lose revenue than to lose human life, no matter how you think it's insignificant because of money.

You can save lives while still getting your due revenue from the traders. Read my previous posts on the simple solution. It is not rocket science
Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by Tallesty1(m): 4:53pm On Feb 26, 2016
Obiagelli:
It was learnt that policemen and soldiers mobilized to the scene, but
some of the protesters reportedly fired gunshots to chase them away.

Huh?
Before nko?

The only time our officers flex muscle is when the protesters are unarmed.

3 Likes

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by Nobody: 4:58pm On Feb 26, 2016
Asadike :
Ndi igbo are finally waking up from their
slumbers, yoruba people are biting more
than they can chew and my people will give
it to them in full measure . Rip to d dead.
Finally, ndi igbo my people, its time to bear
akulueulo. Invest more in igboland and let
lazy yorubas lord it over themselves. Ndi ara.
The comment in bold is careless and uncalled for. You don't prove a point by attacking your host. Many of you staying in the East are fond of making careless statement. But, your comment in general is a wake up call to Ndigbo to think east, invest in Igboland and create physical structures like seaports and other infrastructures that can make Lagos unattractive.

7 Likes

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by ckmayoca: 4:59pm On Feb 26, 2016
Govt allowing touts collect taxi drivers levy, bike riders levy, even traders levy why? Just because they use them during election period.
And the state govt will be shouting of leakages and ghost worker when touts r another form of ghost.
Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by chumada: 5:00pm On Feb 26, 2016
E-war looming undecided undecided undecided.......
Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by theV0ice: 5:01pm On Feb 26, 2016

2 Likes

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by astrodome: 5:01pm On Feb 26, 2016
[b]I HAVE A BIG QUESTION FOR LAGOS GOVERNMENT: HOW MUCH OF THESE REVENUES COLLECTED BY TOUTS ARE ACTUALLY RETURNED TO THE GOVERNMENT BY THESE TOUTS?[/b]
Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by seunny4lif(m): 5:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
E-warriors to arrive soon sad grin
Dats why I like IB and Akure for Business than Lagos state grin grin
Every corner na tout junction angry
Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by Anticabal: 5:14pm On Feb 26, 2016
astrodome:

Oga Ladipo market traders have a president-general. They have an association and have the right come together as an association to pay their levies and tax under the Ladipo traders Association umbrella, but the omoniles will have none of that. They want to go from shop to shop, and harrass innocent traders, Ladipo traders say 'No' to this. Together they struggled to develop that place, together they will pay ONLY CONSTITUTIONAL TAXES.
Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by astrodome: 5:16pm On Feb 26, 2016
Anticabal:

Oga Ladipo market traders have a president-general. They have an association and have the right come together as an association to pay their levies and tax under the Ladipo traders Association umbrella, but the omoniles will have none of that. They want to go from shop to shop, and harrass innocent traders, Ladipo traders say 'No' to this. Together they struggled to develop that place, together they will pay ONLY CONSTITUTIONAL TAXES.

Then why not the traders go to court and convince the court to compel Lagos State Govt to use a more acceptable means of collecting these taxes? Use a registered company, direct bank payment, etc?
Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 26, 2016
Tallesty1:
Before nko?

The only time our officers flex muscle is when the protesters are unarmed.
I hope the news is not true else the traders/protesters are inviting the El zakzaki treatment.
Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by Anticabal: 5:22pm On Feb 26, 2016
Obiagelli:
It was learnt that policemen and soldiers mobilized to the scene, but
some of the protesters reportedly fired gunshots to chase them away.

Huh?

Let me tell you a secret, Igbos are now arming themselves outside Igboland, they started arming themselves prior to the 2015 election when the almajiris from north were threatening fire and brimstone. When Buhari was declared winner, Hausas in ketu were shooting guns in the air in celebration. I witnessed it myself.
Now you tell me, if Buhari had lost, who would they have shot with those bullets if not Easterners.

Easterners are endangered people, if people continue to kill you for 100 years and you do nothing, even God will curse you. It is now 'kill me, i kill you".

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by Tallesty1(m): 5:24pm On Feb 26, 2016
Obiagelli:

I hope the news is not true else the traders/protesters are inviting the El zakzaki treatment.
Abia.

What's gonna happen will surprise you..
Re: One Person Confirmed Dead As Angry Igbo Traders Clash With Ladipo Market Touts by Nobody: 5:29pm On Feb 26, 2016
Anticabal:

Let me tell you a secret, Igbos are now arming themselves outside Igboland, they started arming themselves prior to the 2015 election when the almajiris from north were threatening fire and brimstone. When Buhari was declared winner, Hausas in ketu were shooting guns in the air in celebration. I witnessed it myself
Now you tell me, if Buhari had lost, who would they have shot with those bullets if not Easterners.

Easterners are endangered people, if people continue to kill you for 100 years and you do nothing, even God will curse you.

Tallesty1:
Abia.

What's gonna happen will surprise you..

You think anything good will come out of this? Africans don't learn

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Read This Before You Critise An Eight Months Of APC / Army Officer Working With Billionaire Kidnapper Wadume Identified / Breaking: Rev Fr Mbaka Cursed Peter Obi And Endorsed Atiku For President.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.