Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,468 members, 7,819,715 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate (32652 Views)

Naira Gains, Dollar Crashes At Parallel Market / Naira Strengthens Further Against Dollar On Parallel Market / Dr. Ifeanyi Ubah's N200/$ Claim: A Possibility? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by 989900: 10:21pm On Feb 26, 2016
Bevista:
Very doubtful, indeed. Will they re-enlist the 41 de-listed items? If no, is there enough dollars in the parallel market to meet demand?
---
Narrowing the rates at both markets to N3 max is impracticable, except oil price improves significantly or they devalue the official rate.

Sit back and watch bro.
A stable N200-N220 rate is quite 'doable' in 1-3months depending on a few factors.

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by 989900: 10:24pm On Feb 26, 2016
capnies:
you don't fix exchange rates the economy will decide leave d dollar build d economy why d roller coaster nine months gone no single achievement just meaningless distractions

Almost every country 'doctors' its exchange rates.

1 Like

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by mployer(m): 10:24pm On Feb 26, 2016
CBN wan use propaganda frighten market speculators so they can release their dollars cheesy

I even wonder how CBN think It regulate black market..

2 Likes

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by excellentmomma(f): 10:25pm On Feb 26, 2016
Ifeanyi Uba has given cbn a clue, manipulation of the mind. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by KELVIN086: 10:26pm On Feb 26, 2016
Ok
Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by happney65: 10:28pm On Feb 26, 2016
Whatever he would do to make things go back he should do now before things get worse..Whatever the Economic Team of GEJ did that did not make it worse reach here them suppose do cos no be now Oil Price don fall,he don dey fall before GEJ Left Government..I cannot come and be buying PM at 350 for wetin? omolola15 abi wetin i talk?
Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by omonnakoda: 10:28pm On Feb 26, 2016
NavierStokes:
These guys just want to increase the "panic factor", i am afraid as a country, we are short on fiscal and monetary instruments to fight this battle, so we resort to psychological instruments☺.

What fiscal instrument could conceivably have been used to fight this battle if we were not short of them

2 Likes

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by musicwriter(m): 10:28pm On Feb 26, 2016
I'm so happy the IMF and the world bank have been disgraced. Hopefully, their forecast of economic doom for Nigeria has been averted. African nations should queue up on this model. Independence means independence, not partial independence.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by omolola15(m): 10:32pm On Feb 26, 2016
happney65:
Whatever he would do to make things go back he should do now before things get worse..Whatever the Economic Team of GEJ did that did not make it worse reach here them suppose do cos no be now Oil Price don fall,he don dey fall before GEJ Left Government..I cannot come and be buying PM at 350 for wetin? omolola15 abi wetin i talk?

PM na 330. Dey don cheat you. grin grin

I believe steps and procedures are in place to make things better. The president knows what the country is. Going through and I believe he's not that heartless to turn deaf ears. I just hope the decisions he makes are the right once. So once again I pray God gives him the wisdom to deliver.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by happney65: 10:35pm On Feb 26, 2016
omolola15:

PM na 330. Dey don cheat you. grin grin

I believe steps and procedures are in place to make things better. The president knows what the country is. Going through and I believe he's not that heartless to turn deaf ears. I just hope the decisions he makes are the right once. So once again I pray God gives him the wisdom to deliver.

I don buy am 345 one time like that..I no even know say he don cheap..I wish make he do whatever would be best for our Country before Sango fire hin Blokos...He is the President and the Ball stops at he's Damm Table..
Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by 2sex(m): 10:35pm On Feb 26, 2016
some people already stated that GTB charged them 199-220 naira per dollar

1 Like

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by erico2k2(m): 10:37pm On Feb 26, 2016
musicwriter:
I'm so happy the IMF and the world bank have been disgraced. Hopefully, their forecast of economic doom for Nigeria has been averted. African nations should queue up on this model. Independence means independence, not partial independence.
How does the situation on ground relate to your statement?The Only reason The Dollar lost ground is cos no one wants to buy as it is,its too expensive so less demand. if people decide to buy to enable trade then the demand will be high again thus high forex.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by justjify(m): 10:38pm On Feb 26, 2016
[size=13pt] Oga Emefiele, have you forgotten that baba Bubu said he will make N1=$1? Why are you misunderstanding and misrepresenting the president nitori olorun? I just do hope that you guys don't intend to stop there sha[/size]

2 Likes

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by bookface: 10:40pm On Feb 26, 2016
omonnakoda:
What fiscal instrument could conceivably have been used to fight this battle if we were not short of them

No fiscal instruments. But probably monetary ones.

First, let's be clear - there is no fighting this battle. The exchange rate is what it is. It is the amount at which foreigners are willing to buy the Naira.

Second - the central bank is playing a loser's game. By keeping the official exchange rate pegged at 200, it is being forced to subsidize one part of the economy at the expense of the other.

Third - the right course of monetary policy should be to officially allow the naira to trade within a band -rather than a fixed target exchange rate. A band of 200-350 may be appropriate. The CBN should then immediately increase short term interest rates sharply to stem off inflation and attract foreign portfolio flows/savings. .

2 Likes

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by omolola15(m): 10:43pm On Feb 26, 2016
happney65:

I don buy am 345 one time like that..I no even know say he don cheap..I wish make he do whatever would be best for our Country before Sango fire hin Blokos...He is the President and the Ball stops at he's Damm Table..

I hear you. One way or the other we'll get there. At least if he's successful in making us depend on locally made goods. I believe that will go a long way to help the economy of this country. 99% of everything we import is made in China. And China didn't get there in a year. They had to cope with hard policies for some time. Now the biggest American companies have manufacturing plants in china. Apple, Microsoft, R.I.M to name a few.
Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by UncleJudax(m): 10:43pm On Feb 26, 2016
Bevista:
Very doubtful, indeed. Will they re-enlist the 41 de-listed items? If no, is there enough dollars in the parallel market to meet demand?
---
Narrowing the rates at both markets to N3 max is impracticable, except oil price improves significantly or they devalue the official rate.
You go school.

1 Like

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by UncleJudax(m): 10:46pm On Feb 26, 2016
DaBullIT:
We pray it's a success

Less crying from wailers

Besides, only then will I be able to remind them of the campaign poster with at indicated $$ exchanged for 216 by cbn rate when GEJ was president
Work, then hope.
Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by musicwriter(m): 10:51pm On Feb 26, 2016
erico2k2:

How does the situation on ground relate to your statement?The Only reason The Dollar lost ground is cos no one wants to buy as it is,its too expensive so less demand. if people decide to buy to enable trade then the demand will be high again thus high forex.

Their target was for the Naira to deteriorate up to ₦1,000/$. At that point we would have no choice than to allow the world bank and IMF to determine our economic, even political direction.

IMF and world bank are nothing but neo-colonial instruments to control the resources/economy of third world countries. They're like under-takers, they only come in when you have a burial, and they'll help you bury your loved ones, which is why Ms. Christine Lagard was in Nigeria few weeks ago. Because, they already simulated a total economic disaster leading to death of the Naira. If everything is all ok with Nigeria they'll be looking for how to rock our boat.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by omonnakoda: 10:54pm On Feb 26, 2016
bookface:

No fiscal instruments. But probably monetary ones.

First, let's be clear - there is no fighting this battle. The exchange rate is what it is. It is the amount at which foreigners are willing to buy the Naira.

Second - the central bank is playing a loser's game. By keeping the official exchange rate pegged at 200, it is being forced to subsidize one part of the economy at the expense of the other.

Third - the right course of monetary policy should be to officially allow the naira to trade within a band -rather than a fixed target exchange rate. A band of 200-350 may be appropriate. The CBN should then immediately increase short term interest rates sharply to stem off inflation and attract foreign portfolio flows/savings. .

The CBN should raise interest rates? really ? They just did the EXACT OPPOSITE? Are you saying they don't know what the are doing ? By the way do you know what the interests rates actually are and what they were when this government came to power?
Where does the threat of inflation come from ? I really do not think I understand your logic AT ALL. If you are referring to price rises as a result of exchange rate changes how will interest rates affect that. We have next to zero consumer credit in Nigeria so how does interest rate slow consumption and why anyway do we want to slow consumption when we are trying to grow the economy I am not persuaded by your theory

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by igwegeorgiano(m): 10:54pm On Feb 26, 2016
nonsensical bullcrap from cbn i think cbn should borrow sense from ghana. lubbish
Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by piagetskinner(m): 10:54pm On Feb 26, 2016
I smell lies... I hope it works tho

1 Like

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by pweshboi(m): 10:57pm On Feb 26, 2016
Anticabal:
They just want to increase panic factor and make people bring out their dollars. Laye! i hold onto my dollars tightly. Oil dey crash steady and we won't manufacture anything tangible in the next 200 years. 1$= N3000 by next year.
LOL u make me laugh, and what do u think you'll be able to buy with your supposed 3000 naira then..lemme guess for u sweets and chewing gum cos it would be valueless if it gets to that. So I'll advise you start praying for a steady naira rather than a crashed one when millions will mean nothing. Remember the Zimbabwean dollar is as worthless as ever

1 Like

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by happney65: 10:59pm On Feb 26, 2016
omolola15:

I hear you. One way or the other we'll get there. At least if he's successful in making us depend on locally made goods. I believe that will go a long way to help the economy of this country. 99% of everything we import is made in China. And China didn't get there in a year. They had to cope with hard policies for some time. Now the biggest American companies have manufacturing plants in china. Apple, Microsoft, R.I.M to name a few.

Yeye Man,He no fit do naada about that..Person wey no get any business of he's own since hin comot office..Wey dey live on Government Funds..Na why the Economy dabaru for hin Face be that..As for US Companies in China,They are there basically because China is the cheapest place you can get Labour in the World..Money wey them go pay a US Worker $10 Per Hour.Na $1 Per hour them go pay a chinese worker and still the company go make massive profits..Them dey there basically cos of the Labour..And that is why APPLE is the Most Profitable company that ever "walked" the surface of the Earth..

1 Like

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by badonkadonk: 10:59pm On Feb 26, 2016
citizenisb:
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is targeting a N200 to dollar exchange rate in the parallel market, The Nation learnt on Friday.

The naira which on Friday traded at N330 to a dollar in the parallel market is expected to appreciate speedily, as impact of the CBN’s measures to stabilize the currency volatility in the parallel market begin to materialize.

President, Association of Bureau De Change Operators of Nigeria (ABCON), said the N330 rate in the parallel market is an improvement from last week’s rate when the naira exchanged for N391 to dollar.

The strident calls by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and some foreign interest for Nigeria to devalue its currency and the artificial spike in forex rate created by Bureau De Change operators appears to have tanked. This has been linked to a complex and integrated currency management approaches deployed by the CBN.

According to a top source in the apex Bank, “The aim of CBN is to ensure that the divergence between the official and parallel rate does not exceed N3, so we are looking at a parallel market rate of N200/$ because the downward trend in the pressure on the naira will be sustained.”

“The CBN has the capacity to sustain the downward pressure and will deploy further currency management initiatives, while capitalising on fiscal policies of the federal government to remain in support of non-devaluation of the Naira. The current stand of the federal government on Nigeria’s legal tender is Non-Devaluation. It will be unwise for anybody to be hoarding dollars because we can assure you that Naira appreciation is going to trend upwards going forward.”

So far, the CBN in a bid to manage the pressure on supply has deployed over $11.7billion to support Agricultural Sector, SMEs, manufacturers and others. This has reduced patronage of black market by end-users and has forced rent seekers to dump the greenback thereby creating a dollar-glut in the black-market.

The source noted that it has been observed that most of the imports that were draining forex resources have since found local substitutes with attendant savings in forex and shortage of demand for the greenback, which was fuelling the pressure, this is also coming on the heels of the CBN instruction to commercial banks to publish allocation of forex to end-users, this has in recent times ensure that real sector of the economy and genuine users for education and medicals have been able to access forex at official rate.

http://thenationonlineng.net/cbn-targets-n200-parallel-market-rate/

This is coming after a juggernaut in the art of business held them by the testicles with a clamp..

Nigeria is just a joke.. A joke that has turned sour cos of overuse...
Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by Sanchase: 10:59pm On Feb 26, 2016
Buhari has sourced large amount of Dollar for the Nigerian economy, I recall vividly during his first three months in office he traveled round the

world making negotiations and borrowings. Many countries granted requests and all these large chunks of foreign currency will be unleashed into

the Nigerian Economy, there will be a sharp decline of dollar from now and it will be surprising as dollar will trade as low as N195 per dollar.

All those hoarding dollar will cry a river, save yourselves from crying a river and sell any foreign currency to avoid losing out in the end.

1 Like

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by omonnakoda: 11:03pm On Feb 26, 2016
musicwriter:

Their target was for the Naira to deteriorate up to ₦1,000/$. At that point we would have no choice than to allow the world bank and IMF to determine our economic, even political direction.

IMF and world bank are nothing but neo-colonial instruments to control the resources/economy of third world countries. They're like under-takers, they only come in when you have a burial, and they'll help you bury your loved ones, which is why Ms. Christine Lagard was in Nigeria few weeks ago. Because, they already simulated a total economic disaster for Nigeria. If everything is all ok with Nigeria they'll be looking for how to rock our boat.
Why would we have no choice if it reaches 1000. What is so special or fatal about 1000 or even 5000. The change we are witnessing now is nothing compared to what happened under Babangida When we went from 1:1 to 1 :15 official and worse in the black market . In today's money that would be about 3000.
There is a very significant part of our economy that has nothing to do with dollars. By the way the one thing no one mentions or seems to overlook is we import very little from America and really do not need dollars but for the practice of cross changing dollars to RMB. The RMB is losing value and is on a devaluation trajectory. We can learn from other nations that trade RMB directly and establiish such relations with China as Iran and Russia have done .

People shout so much about $ but what do we actually buy from the US

1 Like

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by UncleJudax(m): 11:04pm On Feb 26, 2016
Y
omolola15:

I think RIM is Canadian.
Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by omolola15(m): 11:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
happney65:

Yeye Man,He no fit do naada about that..Person wey no get any business of he's own since hin comot office..Wey dey live on Government Funds..Na why the Economy dabaru for hin Face be that..As for US Companies in China,They are there basically because China is the cheapest place you can get Labour in the World..Money wey them go pay a US Worker $10 Per Hour.Na $1 Per hour them go pay a chinese worker and still the company go make massive profits..Them dey there basically cos of the Labour..And that is why APPLE is the Most Profitable company that ever "walked" the surface of the Earth..

OK ooooo. Let's all wait and see. 4 years go kuku reach soon.
Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by pweshboi(m): 11:06pm On Feb 26, 2016
Sanchase:
Buhari has sourced large amount of Dollar for the Nigerian economy, I recall vividly during his first three months in office he traveled round the

world making negotiations and borrowings. Many countries granted requests and all these large chunks of foreign currency will be unleashed into

the Nigerian Economy, there will be a sharp decline of dollar from now and it will be surprising as dollar will trade as low as N195 per dollar.

All those hoarding dollar will cry a river, save yourselves from crying a river and sell any foreign currency to avoid losing out in the end.
Tell them... *in olamides voice* 'they don't know"

1 Like

Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by musicwriter(m): 11:07pm On Feb 26, 2016
omonnakoda:
Why would we have no choice if it reaches 1000. What is so special or fatal about 1000 or even 5000. The change we are witnessing now is nothing compared to what happened under Babangida When we went from 1:1 to 1 :15 official and worse in the black market . In today's money that would be about 3000.
There is a very significant part of our economy that has nothing to do with dollars. By the way the one thing no one mentions or seems to overlook is we import very little from America and really do not need dollars but for the practice of cross changing dollars to RMB. The RMB is losing value and is on a devaluation trajectory. We can learn from other nations that trade RMB directly and establiish such relations with China as Iran and Russia have done .

People shout so much about $ but what do we actually buy from the US

Unfortunately, for now the dollar is the official world legal tender. And of course, if we find a way to get around it that would be better.
Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by happney65: 11:08pm On Feb 26, 2016
omolola15:

OK ooooo. Let's all wait and see. 4 years go kuku reach soon.

Yes ohh,1Year don reach now.Na so so GEJ Them dey blame you know.. grin
Re: CBN Targets N200/$ Parallel Market Rate by omonnakoda: 11:15pm On Feb 26, 2016
musicwriter:

Unfortunately, for now the dollar is the official world legal tender. And of course, if we find a way to get around it that would be better.
There is no such thing as official world legal tender. So I do not know what you are talking about and doubt if you do. Yes commodities are denominated in dollars but that does not mean payments must be made in dollars.That is a misconception. I think you need to study balance of payments

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obinna Iyiegbu, Cubana Boss Buys Lexus SUV For His Staff (Photos) / Customers Scam Banks With Fake Visas, Tickets For Forex / A Loggerhead With My Fiance Over Joint Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.