Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,807 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic (32506 Views)

Rice Variants For Diabetic Patients, Weight Watchers And Health Conscious People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by sherocks: 12:09pm On Jul 13, 2009
Hi all

My mom is diabetic and has come to stay with me for a few weeks. I have been racking my brain thinking of a variety of dishes to give her as her diet is now very restrictive.

I would really appreciate any suggestion.

Her typical day consists of
Breakfast - Moimoi, no akara as she is trying to lower her cholesterol
Lunch - Wheat with vegetable soup
Dinner - Brown rice and stew

She is getting fed up and so am I. I feel so bad that I am unable to think of creative things to make for her.
She doesn't eat carbs so that rules a lot of things out of her diet.

Please help !
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by loisamy: 5:46pm On Jul 13, 2009
Try boiled unripe plantain with vegetable soup or unripe plantain flour ( it like amala) with any soup of her choice.Also there's this grain called " Acha" it white in color grown in Plateau and Kaduna state, it can be prepared as pottage n taken with moimoi or make had like semovita with vegetable soup. G/luck.

1 Like

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by zeya: 5:52pm On Jul 14, 2009
FOR BREAKFAST
she can eat moi moi n pap in d morning, tea with milk with no sugar or quaker oat in the morng with bread, or beans porriage and vegetables or boiled potatoes(irish) with vegetable sauce.

FOR LUNCH

vegetable soup with pounded unripe plaintain, or rice and beans

beans and vegetable ,fish pepper soup wit unripe plaintain, little eba with bitter leaf soup, okro soup wit unripe palintain

FOR DINNER

boiled potatoes with vegetable sauce,unripe plaintain poriage,roasted fish with vegetable salad, beans rice with vegetable
Dry fish pepper soup with small amount of yam.
Hope dis helps

1 Like

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by loisamy: 9:38am On Jul 15, 2009
@Zeya, Pap is out of it cos it is raw starch ( the fiber n vitamins has been removed in the process) yam, rice must be taken in little quantity cos the are carbohydrate but she can take little a times cos the body still needs it. Care must be taken in eaten carbohydrate foods. Am a healthy person but I watch y carbohydrate in take cos of the tendency to make one add weight, our diet shld always be balanced.
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by sley4life(m): 2:14pm On Jul 15, 2009
FOR BREAKFAST
she can eat moi moi n pap in d morning, tea with milk with no sugar or quaker oat in the morng with bread, or beans porriage and vegetables or boiled potatoes(irish) with vegetable sauce.

FOR LUNCH

vegetable soup with pounded unripe plaintain, or rice and beans

beans and vegetable ,fish pepper soup wit unripe plaintain, little eba with bitter leaf soup, okro soup wit unripe palintain

FOR DINNER

boiled potatoes with vegetable sauce,unripe plaintain poriage,roasted fish with vegetable salad, beans rice with vegetable
Dry fish pepper soup with small amount of yam.
Hope dis helps

Pap is out of it. Exclude bread here except its wheath. Reduce the intake of rice. Maybe once or twice a week is ok. Your mom should do alot of exercise to burn some glucose/energy out of her body, Take lots of water. Avoid her drinking alcohol such as beer & palmwine or soft drink with sugar. Pray for her and she will be relief

2 Likes

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by sley4life(m): 2:17pm On Jul 15, 2009
Make sure your mom goes for medical check up all the time as that might be of great help to her
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by zeya: 2:41pm On Jul 15, 2009
sley4life:

Pap is out of it. Exclude bread here except its wheath. Reduce the intake of rice. Maybe once or twice a week is ok. Your mom should do alot of exercise to burn some glucose/energy out of her body, Take lots of water. Avoid her drinking alcohol such as beer & palmwine or soft drink with sugar. Pray for her and she will be relief

All carbohydrates shuld b taking in small quantities, dnt know y u cancelled rice and later said it shuld be taken like once or twice a week, there now have rice that is sugar free, but that does not mean one should eat it everyday. Doctors even advice to eat all food but in small quantites.

1 Like

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by drossy(m): 4:04pm On Jul 15, 2009
just obey the golden rule, avoid products that are directly absorbed with much digestion like coke,artificial juice as they shoot up blood glucose IMMEDIATELY! the second golden rule, maintain ur normal diet(minimise oil) but only HALF the quantity, the other half should be replaced with vegetables! rice and other carbs have their glucose content reduced after going through the digestive process and naturally released into the blood stream at controlled rates to avoid any glycemic crises but this equation is measured against her response to her anti -diabetic drugs or her shots(wch one is she on?).if here cholesterol levels are deranged,the oily content should further be minimised!

1 Like

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by drossy(m): 4:06pm On Jul 15, 2009
one more thing, the other half should be replaced with vegetables or beans, i forgot to put that b4!
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by Oluschenco(m): 4:13pm On Jul 15, 2009
Anyway, please try all the above suggestions, let her go for medical check-up and finally put everything in PRAYER.

Good luck
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by Nezan(m): 4:46pm On Jul 15, 2009
hmmm, great advises
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by Libra38: 5:33pm On Jul 15, 2009
@ALL

Sorry for this little digression.

My uncle is also diabetic. we ve tried all sort of medication all to no avail.

The worst now is that his feets is swollen and get rotten one after the orther, as such he is finding it difficult to stand on his feet.

Please people, what advice can you offer regards to this ailling condition? your advice will be appreciated.
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by olajmk: 6:09pm On Jul 15, 2009
porridge is very good for diabetics as long as it's the unprocessed one i.e the one wholegrain.it also reduces cholesterol.the sainsbury's range is very good.

the same with bread.it's got to be wholemeal
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by olajmk: 6:10pm On Jul 15, 2009
@libra, i think u need to get yr uncle to see a doctor urgently

1 Like

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by shoboy9: 6:42pm On Jul 15, 2009
You'll need to got to a hospital urgently, Libra.
The sooner it is taken care of, the better. Consider what you're told carefully. It may be life saving!
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by drossy(m): 6:49pm On Jul 15, 2009
libra, ill be truthfull to you and give you the doctors point of view, gangrenous limbs are a result of poorly controlled diabetes,from my experience,usually due to poor drug use especially when they get assurances from faith healers or pastors, sometimes, the body just doesn't respond to therapy.it leaves only one option which is amputation.its a sad option but it is done to avoid spread and subsequent death.I'm sorry to say this.

2 Likes

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by 009kk: 6:53pm On Jul 15, 2009
@poster
this is what worked for my mum when she was seriously sick of diabetes. the doctor recommended some forever living product for her and believe me within a month she was okay. were is your location
[color=#006600][/color]

1 Like

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by SeanT21(f): 8:24pm On Jul 15, 2009
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by Imeobong(m): 9:47pm On Jul 15, 2009
About a year ago, I almost died because of this ailment, the funny thing is that I did not even know what was wrong with me: It started with High BP, then after about two months I noticed I was Urinating frequently and was getting very tired and consuming lots and lots of liquid without any satisfaction. As at this period I was at Abuja (I went on a business trip ), At a point I cannot stay 2 minutes without urination and drinking water, I then taste my urine, behold it was sweet, I called my mother cause she had already be diagnose of Diabetes. She advised me to go for a test and also on some medication to take.

After the taste my worst fear was confirmed, My blood sugar then was about 400+ I took medication and manage to return back to Enugu, by then I was very tired. I was admitted at a Clinic @ Trans Ekulu when they noticed my blood sugar level and my medication change to insulin injection, and I had lost so much weight. Well the long and short of it is that I was on diet until December 2008 when I travel home for Christmas, where I met one of my Aunty after she discover I was not eating everything like before, after much questioning I told her why, she then directed me to someone she claimed had cured people, I did not believe her and completely ignored her until two days to my coming back from Christmas, I reluctantly followed her to this man with my Mum, he requested for money but by then I did not have money enough so I reluctantly gave him some money and promised that I will send money through my brother when I arrived Enugu. He said the medication will be ready in two days time for myself and my mum, two days after my brother called for the money and I told him I am no more interested in the medication, but after much persuasion I sent the money, he sent the solution packed in a bucket of ice-block through a transporter with the instruction that I should take it first thing before food everyday, to my surprise each day I took this solution my blood sugar keeps coming down, same with my Mum;s own, after two weeks my blood sugar was so low (b/w 55 and 60) that I had to stop taking the drugs, since then (January 2009) till now I have been  ok, and I am now eating everything, same with my mum, I have sent about three people to this man and all of them are ok.
I can testify to it, if anyone is interested he should contact me through my email: imeiquoho@yahoo.com, I will direct him or her to this man, its my only way of helping anyone suffering from this wicked ailment.

1 Like

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by agabaI23(m): 12:16am On Jul 16, 2009
Why not direct them here? Why must they contact you by e-mail?

No known cure for diabetes yet. Thread with caution. Herbs are good but be careful.

1 Like

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by frecklesnz: 3:47am On Jul 16, 2009
I am struggling with type 2 diabetes too.

You are very right about the Nigeria staple food being all wrong for a diabetic. My husband has no idea of what is best for me to eat and expects I will eat a large plate of rice with stew. I love his stew but I can't die for the taste of traditional foods.

We are told by dietitian here we must eat on any meal 1/4 carb 1/4 meat and 1/2 vegetables. Just a small plate of this. I didnt see many vegetables like we have here in Nigeria and Im sure this is a hard thing. Have you tied making some Italian type dishes. They are not cooked as much as stew and tend to have a fresh taste.

I make home made spaghetti. Using some spaghetti pasta Boil until it is just soft. Make a tomato sauce from onions and tomatoes use some garlic and oregano. You just cook the tomatoes in a pot no oil. You can cook onions herbs and garlic in a pot in not more than a teaspoon of oil. Then add crushed tomatoes. Gently cook then add small salt to taste. this is then poured over the drained spaghetti. You can make meat balls or small pieces of meat to this and serve. It is very fresh tasting and doesnt have any of the oil that makes stew out of the question. You can use a tin of tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes as long as you check on the can that there is no added sugar.

I have a cookbook that is recipes just for diabetics. Ignore all the advise of peoples who will have you paying for blessings and healings. By all means trust God to help you in this but it is crazy to expect that all who ask will be healed. Even Paul had to bear with the thorn in the flesh that was not removed from him.

If you want to contact me I am more than willing to hunt for some recipes if you let me know what ingredients you have available.

frecklesnz@yahoo.com

Man do I sympathize with your mum. When I visit Nigeria I'm completely stuffed as to what I can eat and even here Its' hard to be creative.
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by Ndipe(m): 4:42am On Jul 16, 2009
Seeking the opinions of qualified Medical Doctors will be your best bet!
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by Outstrip(f): 6:50am On Jul 16, 2009
My brother in law is diabetic and he has been since he was 9 years old. He diabetes is well controlled. He checks his blood sugar before every meal and takes a shot based on what it reads.
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by frecklesnz: 7:16am On Jul 16, 2009
My brother in law is diabetic and he has been since he was 9 years old. He diabetes is well controlled. He checks his blood sugar before every meal and takes a shot based on what it reads./quote]

Well there are two types of diabetes. Type one which your brother has and type two which affects people mostly later in life. I notice also that you are in USA. There is a huge variety of vegetables in the USA that are not readily available in many parts of Nigeria.

Carbs such as rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, bread, yam, fufu, Garri, akpu must all be eaten in small quantities as the body converts them to sugars very quickly. This is a very hard diet to follow in a country where those foods fill the diet.
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by olorogun1: 8:52am On Jul 16, 2009
aloe vera is a very good product that can cure that diabetic.try it
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by ud4u: 9:56am On Jul 16, 2009
@ Poster, try and let her observe all the do's and don'ts of the sickness.

But above all, prayer is the master key to every sickness, because God have the power to roll away sicknesses. The same thing happened to my mother and we went to God in prayer and the situation changed.

You may ask, how were the prayer answered, yes it was answered and my mother is a living testimony today and there are lots of testifiers to this ailment and lots of others like HIV, AIDS, High BP, Liver problems just to mention but few. The church in question is the Lord Chosen Charismatic Revival Ministry at Ijesha, Surulere, Lagos State, Nigeria. Go there and experience the power of God as of old and your situation will never remain the same.

God is every where and He is the same yesterday, today and forever. But remember, if your church cannot change your spiritual life, you rather change your church.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by Nezan(m): 10:01am On Jul 16, 2009
Ndipe:

Seeking the opinions of qualified Medical Doctors will be your best bet!
Nigerians don't like patronizing professionals. They prefer cheap remedies grin
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by Imeobong(m): 10:07am On Jul 16, 2009
agabaI23:

Why not direct them here? Why must they contact you by e-mail?

No known cure for diabetes yet. Thread with caution. Herbs are good but be careful.

My Dear agabaI23,

You are right and its very hard to believe there is a cure for diabetise, but my brother I can tell you that there is, and I am a living testimony , also check this out if you are still in doubt: http://allafrica.com/stories/200902040001.html
I have nothing to gain or lose if they go for the herbs or not, but as I am telling you now, I know more than 5 people that have been cured by this same man (myself inclusive). I was apprehensive like you before now and did not belief it at all but its real my brother.
Anyone that cares to try can contact the man with this number:07039535313, he's a retired Nurse, work formerly with ExxonMobil Clinic both at QIT Ibeno Eket and Lagos. You can also call the wife on 08084946069 since the man's number hardly goes as he is on Pastorial Duties with Baptist Church in a remote part of Ekpene Ukpa in Etinan LGA of Akwa Ibom State
Best of Luck

4 Likes

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by LadyT(f): 10:57am On Jul 16, 2009

1 Like

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by disire: 11:20am On Jul 16, 2009
There is cure now for diabetics

Visit any general hospital here in Nigeria for more details

I mean after the strick grin
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by Nezan(m): 9:56am On Jul 17, 2009
disire:

There is cure now for diabetics

Visit any general hospital here in Nigeria for more details

I mean after the strick grin
witty, cheesy cheesy
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by esosa4real(m): 4:45pm On Jul 18, 2009
pls i am a medical student, rili want to know this, is there now a cure for diabetes, to my best knowledge, there has been no cure, just diet, lifestyle n medicated control measures, so is this new?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Prepare A Nutritious Garri Soaked In Water / Yoruba Man Killing Afang Soup In The Kitchen; All Thanks To Calabar Babes. / What Is One Food You Could Not Live Without? Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.