Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

How Much Can I Charge To Write For A Magazine? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Much Can I Charge To Write For A Magazine? (787 Views)

Write For A Magazine / Virgins Magazine Is The Best Romantic Magazine In Nigeria. / What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Can I Charge To Write For A Magazine? by mona83(f): 10:39pm On Jul 13, 2009
I just secured a brief to feature as a columnist in a new glossy magazine. The mag is an upbeat, lifestyle mag. My column is mainly to address issues concerning women in their different roles as girlfriends, wives, mothers etc. I will also have another column covering the latest trends in fashion, make-up, fashion police kinda stuff. I've done stuff like this before, but it's mostly been as a hobby and as such, my services were pro-bono.

The publisher is aware of my ignorance as per going rates and will most likely capitalize on this when we meet to discuss my fees, by asking me to say how much i want. I do not want to short-change myself, neither do i wanna scare him off by quoting too high rates. So, please advise me. Thanks.
Re: How Much Can I Charge To Write For A Magazine? by Turiano(m): 5:04am On Jul 15, 2009
Guy i tire 4 u,is it ur life rule it the way u like that's all.
Re: How Much Can I Charge To Write For A Magazine? by mona83(f): 8:16am On Jul 17, 2009
Mr Turiano, there's something called keeping quiet, holding one's peace when one does not have anything of value to add to a matter.
Just a word of wisdom- Nairalander to Nairalander.
Re: How Much Can I Charge To Write For A Magazine? by akinalabi(m): 3:57pm On Jul 19, 2009
Is this your first time of writing for a publication? If yes, how much did
you charge?

If this is your first time, why dont you write for free? I know it sounds
crazy but you can use the opportunity to launch yourself. . .
Re: How Much Can I Charge To Write For A Magazine? by mona83(f): 9:25pm On Jul 19, 2009
akinalabi:

Is this your first time of writing for a publication? If yes, how much did
you charge?

If this is your first time, why dont you write for free? I know it sounds
crazy but you can use the opportunity to launch yourself. . .

Thanks, Akinlabi. That's a tall order, deadlines and all, but, Seen.
Re: How Much Can I Charge To Write For A Magazine? by akinalabi(m): 10:55pm On Jul 19, 2009
Are you going to be working there full time or will you just be a
contributor?
Re: How Much Can I Charge To Write For A Magazine? by mona83(f): 4:37am On Jul 20, 2009
akinalabi:

Are you going to be working there full time or will you just be a
contributor?

Just a contributor.
Re: How Much Can I Charge To Write For A Magazine? by akinalabi(m): 3:53pm On Jul 21, 2009
If I were you, I'll do it for free. I currently publish a newspaper and yet, I still
write for free for other publications. It will only cost you ink and paper.

Do it for free.
Re: How Much Can I Charge To Write For A Magazine? by spikedcylinder: 4:02pm On Jul 21, 2009
I got an offer from a fashion publisher too earlier in the year. I was to be a contributing fashion columnist. She was offering 80k per month for weekends only.
It was a rubbish offer and I turned it down. That's my personal opinion though.
Re: How Much Can I Charge To Write For A Magazine? by mona83(f): 7:27pm On Jul 21, 2009
I'd really have loved to do it for free but i will not. This is because i've already done a lot of free work, free make-overs, articles etc, all in the name of "it's just a hobby". But i have since noticed, and if i may say so myself- i'm just as good, sometimes even better than those i see getting paid for their services.
@ Akin Alabi- I love writing, yes, but  there's no harm in getting paid while at it. I wouldn't have a problem writing free for a magazine owned by an Non Governmental Organisation. If you can however make me see the rationale behind writing for free for a magazine that's solely for the purpose of financial gain, i might be swayed.
Looking forward to your reply.

(1) (Reply)

The Dictionary Of Acronyms is out!!! What do you think? / Win Great At Naija Writing Contest / Female Danfo driver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.