Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested (8782 Views)

Ideye: Nigeria Players Use Juju / Super Falcons Coach Invites 36 Players To Camp / 7 Players To Be Dropped From Super Eagles Squad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by agabaI23(m): 2:48pm On Jul 16, 2009
eldee:

This just dashed all MrCrackles hopes of making Nigeria's Under-17 team grin grin
Can't you see how concerned he is?? tongue
grin grin grin grin grin I should have thought so.
Brash pele
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by MrCrackles(m): 3:05pm On Jul 16, 2009
eldee:

This just dashed all MrCrackles hopes of making Nigeria's Under-17 team grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by biola44: 4:56pm On Jul 16, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked grin
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by Jarus(m): 9:16am On Jul 17, 2009
Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested

Na wahala be ds o. . .
Hope all of them will not jump over the camp fence and run away, and camp becoming empty, as some Zambian players did when threatened with similar test earlier this year.
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by MrCrackles(m): 10:22am On Jul 17, 2009
Jarus:

Na wahala be ds o. . .
Hope all of them will not jump over the camp fence and run away, and camp becoming empty, as some Zambian players did when threatened with similar test earlier this year.

shocked shocked shocked grin cheesy
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by 009kk: 11:11am On Jul 17, 2009
as far as i am concern, even if they parade men of 50years old i don't give a damn. provided the deliver the cup for us[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by abhosts(m): 11:56am On Jul 17, 2009
I am very sure that Nigeria will find a way around this test. Afterall, Ghana-must-go can work wonders. But if Fifa insists, no more underage events for Nigeria for the next 5years cos it is a lot of hard work recruiting and training real under-16 players . Most of Nigeria's budding football talents are scattered all over public high schools in the country, but these folks are just too lazy to seek them out.
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by Redman44(m): 12:01pm On Jul 17, 2009
I think the Age Test is good. I don't see it affecting Nigeria's chances in FIFA Youth competitions. It will help us in the long run.  It should also be noted that some of the players in our past U-17 and U-20 Squads were quite young. I'm not talking about the whole teams, though. Yemi Tella's Korea U-17 team had a lot of overaged players. I don't want to name and shame on this thread. The Trinidad and Tobago 2001 U-17 squad also had a good number of old guys posing as u-17 players. Where is Temile Omonigho and Victor Brown today cry cry? These guys shone like stars in 2001.  Even Femi Opabunmi, the team's prolific striker faded after 2 years into oblivion.

One of the youngest u-17 teams we've had was the squad tutored by Austin Eguavoen in 2003. The youngsters that went to Finland under Eguavoen were quite young. This was because a good number of the boys were products of the Shell Cup and Pepsi Football Academy. Look at John Mikel Obi, Olufemi Adebayo, Ambrose Vanzekin, Apam Onyekachi, Olayinka Adedeji and the rest of them. Samson Siasia inherited the Finland Boys and added some other players. These were the boys that did us proud in Holland in 2005 during the U-20 AYC.

The Japan 1993 team led by Wilson Oruma also had some young guys who were actually below the age of 17. Celestine Babayaro was really 16 years in 1993. Others were Festus Okougha [ God knows what happened to him cry cry ] Emmanuel Babayaro, Emmanuel Okeneboh [ the able keeper ] and a few others. Kanu and Oruma were obviously above the cadet age.

I believe our secondary school players can do well at the U-17 championships. The NFF should look for players in the shell Cup and Football academies for the FIFA U-17 and U-20 World cups. There are thousands of gifted and focused footballers in the secondary schools scattered all over Nigeria. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by sirt1(m): 12:23pm On Jul 17, 2009
I fear this may end the winning streak of Golden Eaglets. But come to think of it, is this happens only in sports? What about the working population and the politicians? May be MRI should be deployed to these areas.
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 17, 2009
Notin dey happen. . . Our boys will do the test tongue
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by FBS: 1:17pm On Jul 17, 2009
jassie:

Notin dey happen. . . Our boys will do the test tongue
me wonder oooh. norin spoil. no big deal. 

And they will pass the test. tongue cool
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by zugoboss(m): 1:20pm On Jul 17, 2009
Trust Nigerians,there must be a way out of this,if not camp go empty.But why wasn't this test carried out earlier during the selection,isn't it already late to start all over again cos 90% are definitely over age.
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by kshow1(m): 1:20pm On Jul 17, 2009
These will bring to end all our glories in age competition as we all know we parade over aged players tongue tongue
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by youngies(m): 1:24pm On Jul 17, 2009
Brash,

I am not bothered about this MRI bone scan thingy, why?
I am pretty sure that we can always rig the result of the scan

The introduction of the test was just to satisfy FIFA and some European scouts

Naija is too clean to be dirty!
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by ayodot(m): 1:57pm On Jul 17, 2009
Its a good development but I tell u Nigeria is not prepared for that so wahala dey
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by Fhemmmy: 2:11pm On Jul 17, 2009
Long overdue.
but test will be needed for other nations too
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by Jelectric(m): 2:20pm On Jul 17, 2009
If dem detect all of them who go play grin grin shocked
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by bandely(m): 2:29pm On Jul 17, 2009
eldee:

lol, I can't stop laughing!

J.electric:

If dem detect all of them who go play grin grin shocked
That one na wahala oooooooo
Lets wait and see!
The people go tarnish our image more and more ooooooooo!
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by kokoye(m): 2:30pm On Jul 17, 2009
No be naija?

A naija man can get an authentic document signed by God himself.

If they can beat biometric scans and reverse computerized odometer readings easily, they will surely find a way around this.

I'm sure they're just throwing this out there to satisfy those who want to see it.

More business for the onitsha and aba guys . . . better for the economy too!  grin
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by Barkindogo: 2:48pm On Jul 17, 2009
@poster

They need to go ahead, at the end o the day they would lose! There is cheating, lying about age everywhere. A lot of South American players that dominate USA sports have been alleged in the past of age discrepancy. Then, Tevez, Ibrahomovic, Ajer Rubben e.t.c. need to proof their age too. A lot of Americans too lie about age, for example popular and prominent noble laureate holder (Maya Angelu) lied about his age to enter France.
MRI orbullshit will never work, because God created us distinctly. In America, you got a boy of 22yrs old and he's urge and also bald head completely and with the help of cocaine, ecstasy and morphine, he's so strong. Then, you got a guy from Nigeria, he's 27 but looks 19 and had hair full all his head, he's feeble (because he barely eats 3 square meals). Now, tell me how your MRI will know who his older?
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by pek(m): 3:01pm On Jul 17, 2009
we better not present any team at the event cause i smell national diaster comng
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by sley4life(m): 3:27pm On Jul 17, 2009
NFF are corrupt individual. The only way to get true age of players is to go to their secondary school to bring their file. The players should all bring their report card and this must be verefied by their teachers, principal & present student. Most of the U17 players should still be in school like ss1-ss3. They shouldnt have Bears or Mustache Anything short of this is sham
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by rasputinn(m): 3:27pm On Jul 17, 2009
Why all the premature ejaculation because of this "failed" move
Where are they doing the test and who is gonna carry out the tests,I won't put it beyond those age cheats to arrange the results of even MRI bone scans
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by sley4life(m): 3:33pm On Jul 17, 2009
Also our players shuldnt have kids at such a tender age if their age is real. Taye Taiwo had a 3yrs old daughter when he played u20. Does it mean he had a fiance at age 15.
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by sley4life(m): 3:35pm On Jul 17, 2009
I forgot a players name that had a daughter in the university and he plays for u20, i will post his name if i remember
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by smoothe75(m): 3:41pm On Jul 17, 2009
sir t:

I fear this may end the winning streak of Golden Eaglets. But come to think of it, is this happens only in sports? What about the working population and the politicians? May be MRI should be deployed to these areas.

where do they start National assembly or Aso Rock
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by chukz4real(m): 3:45pm On Jul 17, 2009
cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by Redman44(m): 3:57pm On Jul 17, 2009
I am still at a loss as to why there is this general belief that we can't do without using overageg players in the u-17 and U-20 competitions. We need to be futuristic in our thinking. Over the years, we have seen many of our ' boys' comprehensively beating their counterparts from other countries during FIFA'S cadet competitions. However, our 'youthful' stars fade away quickly after doing well at the World Stage. 97% of them do not graduate into the Super Eagles Squads we've had over the years. After Holland 2005, one of the best defenders of Siasia''s Flying Eagles Squad [ wont name and shame ] was signed by a Dutch Club. However, the club's medical report on him stated that his bone formation was that of a 28-32 years old man undecided undecided. The guy was subjected to further medical tests. It was clear that he was older than his given age. The club signed him fully because of his talent only. They overlooked his age. I can also remember that John Terry of Chelsea FC also expressed some doubts initially about Mikel Obi's age during a training session.

Anyone who looks at Lionel Messi, Boban or Fabregas will know that they represented their country at their correct ages. Even with our squad of overaged players during the Trinidad and Tobago U-17 World Cup in 2001, France thrashed us 3-0 in the final match. The same French Cadet team we beat 2-1 in a group game at the tourney. Sinama Pongolle, who led the French Attack was very young then. During my High School days in Nigeria, my school's football team had a lot of good players who were skillful. They were all under 17 years.  A 13 year old JSS 3 boy was even a key member of the team. And these boys were not looking thin or ill-fed o sad sad They were fit and were given extra food by the school authorities. Lekan Adekola, the school's Goalkeeper was 15 when he started manning the posts for the school team. He was very good and I watched him play against other schools a lot of times. The boy was focused and was a incredible shot stopper. There was a day my school played against Egbado College. After the first half, the Egbado College boys had a meeting. They and their coach believed Lekan was using charms to stop them from scoring cheesy When the 2nd half resumed, they jogged into the pitch with their jeseys turned inside out- they believed this move would neutralize Lekan's supposed magic. They failed and got whupped that day tongue tongue. Today, where is Lekan Adekola? I have not since him since 1995.

Our future lies in our players in our secondary schools and the Soccer Academies. Not in almost expired players in our professional clubs who are looking for a way to get into Europe by participating in FIFA cadet tournaments. The Ibadan Grammar school team in the 90's was comprised of very young boys who knew how play to football. They played like brazilians and they were almost invincible. Their jersey was yellow and blue like the Brazilian national team. Lets go back to the basics. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by rasputinn(m): 4:00pm On Jul 17, 2009
Barkindogo:

@poster

They need to go ahead, at the end o the day they would lose! There is cheating, lying about age everywhere. A lot of South American players that dominate USA sports have been alleged in the past of age discrepancy. Then, Tevez, Ibrahomovic, Ajer Rubben e.t.c. need to proof their age too. A lot of Americans too lie about age, for example popular and prominent noble laureate holder (Maya Angelu) lied about his age to enter France.
MRI orbullshit will never work, because God created us distinctly. In America, you got a boy of 22yrs old and he's urge and also bald head completely and with the help of cocaine, ecstasy and morphine, he's so strong. Then, you got a guy from Nigeria, he's 27 but looks 19 and had hair full all his head, he's feeble (because he barely eats 3 square meals). Now, tell me how your MRI will know who his older?

No be lie my broda
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by ohaechesi(m): 4:10pm On Jul 17, 2009
its not only going to be Nigerian hurdles. We could hardly dictate the whitman's age, they as well cheat more than you and i could imagine. At the same time, they should conduct drug text on all the under 17 junior world cup players, not only their age.
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by nduchucks: 4:19pm On Jul 17, 2009
As naija people, una suppose to feel insulted with this kind action. why dem go single out naija becayse we don win the tournament 3 times?  de time wey Uk or Germany dem dey win am yanfu yanfu, na who complain. dis one na another racism! Just like dem tink say we no get sense reach dem, na so dem think say we dey physically inferior.

dem supposed to either do random testing instead make dem single us out. Our foolish leaders suppose to protest or withdraw our team in protest. The sad ting be say, even some naija people wey dey for overseas sef dey support de action, despite say dem no know a single player there wey be over 17.

dem wan compare our bone density with oyinbo man own with MRI technology ko? dem forget say na from small pikin we don dey chew chicken bone and 14 year old naija boy bone, dey mature pass 21 year old oyinbo man own. na ojoro dem wan take disqualify most of our players. which kind insult be this.

make dem carry their cup go sef!   angry
Re: Nigeria Players To Be Age-Tested by otukpo(f): 4:23pm On Jul 17, 2009
wahala dey for dem naija footballers ooooooo.
They wont like this at all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Super Falcons Player, Michelle Alozie Meets Davido (Photos) / I'm Having Issues Withdrawing From My Bet9ja Account Please Help / Morocco Defeats Mali 2-0 To Retain African Nations Championship Title

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.