Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,088 members, 7,818,265 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint (15018 Views)

Nationwide Darkness Looms As Electricity Supply Drops To 1,400MW / Power Supply Drops By 1,647MW / Agony, Hardship As Power Supply Drops To Six Hours Daily - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Soreza(m): 11:13am On Mar 01, 2016
THEY ASKED FOR THE CHANGE SO THIS ONE OF THEM.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by LordAdam: 11:13am On Mar 01, 2016
prince3009:
Power supply from Dams tanks heavily during the dry season! Solar Energy is the way to go!! We have "plenty of Sun" in Nigeria wasting away for nothing

Solar is too expensive.

What we should invest heavily in is coal power. More electricity is derived from coal worldwide than any other source of electricity. It is cheap, we have plenty of dormant coal reserves in Nigeria.

I think Buhari should also do something about the vandalism. Even if na to setup special task force that stretches through the host communities. Contract the local vigilante of the host communities. And give strict conditions should leak or vandalism occur in their domains.

Nigeria's security apparatus cannot guarantee the smooth operations of all the pipelines in Nigeria. If we have surplus of gas and use gas as a major driver in the production of electricity, I wonder why we would allow pipelines to be vandalized at will.

If it is oil pipelines that will disrupt oil production and stop money from flowing into the pockets of the northern elite, they will send battalions. But when it is gas pipeline to supply gas for production of electricity for the average Nigerian, they will sit in their AC office dishing out propaganda because they run the administration on diesel generators.

Nigeria's problem is the structure. It is too defective. The President would do nothing because he doesn't have the right advisers, or because his advisers serve other masters. If the minister does something on his own, it would have no weight because civil servants have their own agenda. Even the security people have their own agenda. Community people have their own agenda. Youths have their own agenda. Electricity producers and distributors have their own agenda.

We are just been pulled in all directions. That is why electricity supply in Nigeria will keep dancing back and forth. Even if you make Thomas Edison Minister of Power (Works and Housing) in Nigeria, the glut will still remain. We have to restructure the country, because it is the same rot that is affecting all the sectors.

Imagine ASUU asking the FG to exempt them from TSA. After they run universities like independent economies and receive more salary than the soldiers protecting our lives and property.

-Lord

3 Likes

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Nobody: 11:14am On Mar 01, 2016
9japrof:
I am not a professional in the energy field but why must we continue with old ways that had been proven to be ineffective. sometimes I wonder whether this country is cursed, we have been doing this national grid stuff for many years and it is proven to be ineffective and we still insist it must work.

Why don't we unbundle the power stuff into six regions, the south south has the gas(we use the gas turbines to power electricity there) south east(Enugu) has coal, (get coal fired turbines to power electricity for the eastners {after all China and south Africa still use coal to power a large percent of their energy needs}. The north here has sun and dams (e.g Niger state with kainji, jebba, shiroro dams) use it to power the energy needs in the north. etc.

Why would we spend resources pulling energy to one national hub and still spend resources to distribute this energy and no doubt energy is been lost during the process.

People brought in APC to bring about change with the way things have been going before. the large carmotose of the national infrastructure can not be blamed on them but the truth is that it is always easy to criticize when you are not in the helm of affairs (e.g the silly sunday oliseh was so vocal during his time as a TV pundit, criticizing the then coach and the national team, Buh when he came on board he failed miserably)

Talk is cheap, I expect APC to change the political structure of this country, that is the only way we can develop, when regions compete effectively using the available resources within their regions and not depending on the entitlements from the centre, then we can grow. A million Buharis can't make Nigeria better without making the state/regions viable.

What are the advantages of unbundling Power are:

we spend less on constructing gas pipes from south to north (thereby saving foreign exchange Lol), that been said , less sabotage less maintenance.

People in the region would hold people around them accountable for the energy problems they have. people would tend to protect power facilities in their area cos they know that if it is vandalised they suffer it.

Common sense ain't common

nigeria is being run on the same template of failure and still expecting different results..what stops each zone in the nation from autonomously generating power form its energy sources present in the zones

what is stopping us from adopting true federalism and regionalism so that we can grow....

1 Like

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by kYjelly2: 11:15am On Mar 01, 2016
huntax:

Must people always compare present and past governments whenever issues arise? It's becoming childish to be frank. Even the purest led government encounters challenges. Jonathan wasn't improving and we opted for a change in government. If this one doesn't improve, we will do the same. Stop making it seem as if Jonathan would have done better. If the vandals were killed like fowls, you'd all come here and accuse Buhari of being a military man.

you are not yet a full zombie, still in transition undecided

1 Like

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by fairheven: 11:16am On Mar 01, 2016
One step forward, two steps backward
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Trailblazer1(m): 11:16am On Mar 01, 2016
kITATITA:

When people like you are blowing up gas pipelines, you think Buhari will queue at the filling station with plastic container to buy petrol.

Of course he wont undecided

He already increase domestic expenditure in aso rock from #580 million to #1.7 billion
and this is CHANGE for Buhari

But you, hope you are getting home delivery of fuel undecided

Or do you still queue like me grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by LordAdam: 11:17am On Mar 01, 2016
Omoakinsuyi:
Buhari made a grave mistake appointing Fashola Minister of power, works and housing. He should focus on power alone

Fashola is not the issue. I know he has already made mistakes like the tariff issue, but don't blame him. The problems are bigger than one administrator. After Nebo and Barth did their best and things remained the way they were, I knew Nigeria's electricity problem is structural.

-Lord
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by kYjelly2: 11:17am On Mar 01, 2016
LordAdam:

Solar is too expensive.

What we should invest heavily in is coal power. More electricity is derived from coal worldwide than any other source of electricity. It is cheap, we have plenty of dormant coal reserves in Nigeria.

I think Buhari should also do something about the vandalism. Even if na to setup special task force that stretches through the host communities. Contract the local vigilante of the host communities. And give strict conditions should leak or vandalism occur in their domains.

Nigeria's security apparatus cannot guarantee the smooth operations of all the pipelines in Nigeria. If we have surplus of gas and use gas as a major driver in the production of electricity, I wonder why we would allow pipelines to be vandalized at will.

If it is oil pipelines that will disrupt oil production and stop money from flowing into the pockets of the northern elite, they will send battalions. But when it is gas pipeline to supply gas for production of electricity for the average Nigerian, they will sit in their AC office dishing out propaganda because they run the administration on diesel generators.

Nigeria's problem is the structure. It is too defective. The President would do nothing because he doesn't have the right advisers, or because his advisers serve other masters. If the minister does something on his own, it would have no weight because civil servants have their own agenda. Even the security people have their own agenda. Community people have their own agenda. Youths have their own agenda. Electricity producers and distributors have their own agenda.

We are just been pulled in all directions. That is why electricity supply in Nigeria will keep dancing back and forth. Even if you make Thomas Edison Minister of Power (Works and Housing) in Nigeria, the glut will still remain. We have to restructure the country, because it is the same rot that is affecting all the sectors.

Imagine ASUU asking the FG to exempt them from TSA. After they run universities like independent economies and receive more salary than the soldiers protecting our lives and property.

-Lord

Kudos umbre!

Let the zoo inhabitants know that coal is the way to go!!
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Adminisher: 11:19am On Mar 01, 2016
kITATITA:

When people like you are blowing up gas pipelines, you think Buhari will queue at the filling station with plastic container to buy petrol.

Yes if i were Buhari, i would put the whole region on lock down. Full militarization of the place. Let them come and fight Nigerian Army. Since they think they will win, it will last years and they will lose everything . Young people will grow from teenage to thirties fighting. Then they will kniw what curse of war is about.
Maybe that is what the North needs to catch up with the rest of the country.

Generally speaking i am inclined to people suffering when they glorify war. Go and ask kids in Syria. They have lost everything and all the parties fighting will never ever ever get what they are fighting for

1 Like

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by airsaylongcon: 11:19am On Mar 01, 2016
hesiod:
But Fashola told the nation prior the elections that achieving steady power supply is not rocket science.

I vividly recall him making this assertion. Alas it turns out that it is more complicated than space science (senior brother of rocket science)

1 Like

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Nbote(m): 11:19am On Mar 01, 2016
Shebi dey kept bashing others for inaction and made loads of promises. Now dey blame gas supply and explosions.They were supposed to com up with alternatives or better still improve on already existing frameworks. Anyway what do I know.. Zombies oya blame it on GEJ.

2 Likes

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by highskies(m): 11:19am On Mar 01, 2016
Riparian laws and other diplomatic issues go into construction of dams across the niger river.

Its hightime they employ micro and minigrid systems running on renewable energy (solar, wind, biogas plants).

Renewable energy is much cheaper and more sustainable when practiced on a larger scale than household by household.

A minigrid could contain a village or even a town. solar energy and wind would work very well in the north providing power to households for at least 7-8hours daily without batteries.

Well I can go on and on...but what do I know, am just a student of engineering

Emekamex:
The government should invest more on dams.
-It is more reliable and more stable.
-It is less prone to vandalism.
Gas supply has always been an issue in Nigeria year in year out due to vandalism, it is about time we think outside the box and do things differently.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by winterfell007(m): 11:19am On Mar 01, 2016
i have said it one million times. investment in embedded power generation is surest way to go. NERC should license independent power operators that can build smaller power plants that ranging from 1megawatts to 59 megawatts to be deployed to large residential estates such as Festac, Gowon estate, Shagari estateand Jonathan estate. cut off the inefficiency associated with grid transmission. Lagos state pioneered it, Anambra state is already started building such facility that for estates such as Ngozika estates in Awka. we really need to investing in off-grid energy solution that's the way forward.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by LordAdam: 11:20am On Mar 01, 2016
9japrof:
I am not a professional in the energy field but why must we continue with old ways that had been proven to be ineffective. sometimes I wonder whether this country is cursed, we have been doing this national grid stuff for many years and it is proven to be ineffective and we still insist it must work.

Why don't we unbundle the power stuff into six regions, the south south has the gas(we use the gas turbines to power electricity there) south east(Enugu) has coal, (get coal fired turbines to power electricity for the eastners {after all China and south Africa still use coal to power a large percent of their energy needs}. The north here has sun and dams (e.g Niger state with kainji, jebba, shiroro dams) use it to power the energy needs in the north. etc.

Why would we spend resources pulling energy to one national hub and still spend resources to distribute this energy and no doubt energy is been lost during the process.

People brought in APC to bring about change with the way things have been going before. the large carmotose of the national infrastructure can not be blamed on them but the truth is that it is always easy to criticize when you are not in the helm of affairs (e.g the silly sunday oliseh was so vocal during his time as a TV pundit, criticizing the then coach and the national team, Buh when he came on board he failed miserably)

Talk is cheap, I expect APC to change the political structure of this country, that is the only way we can develop, when regions compete effectively using the available resources within their regions and not depending on the entitlements from the centre, then we can grow. A million Buharis can't make Nigeria better without making the state/regions viable.

we spend less on constructing gas pipes from south to north (thereby saving foreign exchange Lol), that been said , less sabotage less maintenance.

People in the region would hold people around them accountable for the energy problems they have. people would tend to protect power facilities in their area cos they know that if it is vandalised they suffer it.

Your sense dey there. We need true federalism in this country if we really want to develop in less time.

It is a good thing that APC is failing. At least, people are now receptive of the idea of seeking a long-lasting solution than banking on fake promises.

-Lord
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by airsaylongcon: 11:21am On Mar 01, 2016
huntax:

Must people always compare present and past governments whenever issues arise? It's becoming childish to be frank. Even the purest led government encounters challenges. Jonathan wasn't improving and we opted for a change in government. If this one doesn't improve, we will do the same. Stop making it seem as if Jonathan would have done better. If the vandals were killed like fowls, you'd all come here and accuse Buhari of being a military man.

What vandals? The ones in Jebba? Or the ones in Lagos?
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Justicealh3(m): 11:24am On Mar 01, 2016
Omoakinsuyi:
Buhari made a grave mistake appointing Fashola Minister of power, works and housing. He should focus on power alone
Maybe the able ones are finish to pik as ministers of work & housing.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by LordAdam: 11:25am On Mar 01, 2016
kYjelly2:

Kudos umbre!

Let the zoo inhabitants know that coal is the way to go!!

Don't mind them. It was under GEJ that the first coal electricity production plant was commissioned by a private company. I wonder if that project will be continued, now that Buhari is there. Or if more coal plants will be commissioned by Buhari.

No expert has said we cannot use coal electricity in Nigeria or that we would not derive the same benefits countries like US, China, South Africa and the rest of the world is deriving from using coal to produce electricity.

The worse part is that Nigeria has a very huge market for electricity. The total estimated demand including industries according to MAN is at least 100,000 MW. Then Nigeria can export electricity to the entire West Africa, spreading our influence and bringing in more revenue.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by kokomilala(m): 11:25am On Mar 01, 2016
Lightning strikes twice! We've tread this road before.It's becoming a recurring error.I thought having identified these issues in the past, the new government would address them.But, here we go again! We never learn from our mistakes.Do we?
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Adminisher: 11:27am On Mar 01, 2016
winterfell007:
i have said it one million times. investment in embedded power generation is surest way to go. NERC should license independent power operators that can build smaller power plants that ranging from 1megawatts to 59 megawatts to be deployed to large residential estates such as Festac, Gowon estate, Shagari estateand Jonathan estate. cut off the inefficiency associated with grid transmission. Lagos state pioneered it, Anambra state is already started building such facility that for estates such as Ngozika estates in Awka. we really need to investing in off-grid energy solution that's the way forward.

You actually think the world will allow you to do embedded power? No way. Go and read Kyoto and the latest targets. Ten 50MW stations pollute five times more than one 500MW station. If you say you will solve the problem by adding flue gas treatment, the cost of each power plant will double. Embedded power still requires connection to the grid so it is "NEPA substation" kind of thing everywhere.
Osinbajo has brought a better solution . Solar energy at 5MW per apartment and you pay small, small over many years. After each battery bank replacement your bill goes up slightly then comes down again
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Reference(m): 11:28am On Mar 01, 2016
9japrof:

When I say structure is the problem they say Buhari (an establishment figure) is the solution. As I said earlier, his term will only witness cosmetic changes, nothing radical enough to restructure Nigeria and set it on a path to success. His fx policy is hopeless. Foreign cash will never come in now so how do you build the plants and grids. So sorry for this country. If Nigerians don't rise up in unison and tell Buhari to do the right thing na dem sabi. He is 72. He has fulfilled his legacy, received back from the cold as a statesman in international capitals and jailing miscreants. That's all we will get.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by hesiod: 11:28am On Mar 01, 2016
airsaylongcon:

I vividly recall him making this assertion. Alas it turns out that it is more complicated than space science (senior brother of rocket science)
He got to the position he is now through blackmail and fraud hence, can not succeed until he confesses his sins and tender public apology for deceiving 200 million Nigerians.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Paperwhite(m): 11:32am On Mar 01, 2016
NavierStokes:
When sabotage occursin the west-Lagos or North-Jebba,it is termed explosions, when it does occur in the south south they attribute it to militants- typical case of giving a dog a bad name so as to hang it.

The same way revenue shortfalls in NNPC are now called losses, previously they were called stolen funds.

Hypocrisy of the APC propaganda machinery.

In other news It has unarguably been proved that in the hierarchy of sins:

#INCOMPETENCE IS A GRAVER SIN THAN CORRUPTION#

Thanks dear.That is insightful

1 Like

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by InvertedHammer: 11:32am On Mar 01, 2016
/
Blacks. Blacks. Blacks

Africans. Africans. Africans.

What kind of Engineering are they studying in the gazillion universities in Nigeria?

During harmattan, the heat in Kogi alone if properly harnessed could power the whole of Africa. And instead of following that line of thought, the so-called electrical/electronics students are busy welding scrap metals together as cars under the goading of the populace who see such as technological wonders.
And we were told that necessity is the mother of invention?

I give up!

/* walking to the shredder to shred my Nigerian passport. No more batting with the losing team */

/
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Paperwhite(m): 11:34am On Mar 01, 2016
APC if not blaming it will be complaining.PMB get your damned ass to work or get back to shine it on a rocking chair in Daura.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by rottennaija(m): 11:35am On Mar 01, 2016
Emekamex:
The government should invest more on dams.
-It is more reliable and more stable.
-It is less prone to vandalism.
Gas supply has always been an issue in Nigeria year in year out due to vandalism, it is about time we think outside the box and do things differently.

Not just that they should look at coal, a serious look at it. Each state is supposed to have it own I'm which should have the capacity to feed the state before getting it to the National grid.

Nuclear should also be considered
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by alabiyemmy(m): 11:35am On Mar 01, 2016
What of the nigger's body odor? He don dey use cheap Ab.oki perfume? Buhari's body odor no dey work again.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by obailala(m): 11:36am On Mar 01, 2016
LordAdam:

Solar is too expensive.

-Lord
I totally agree with you on the coal matter, I understand the need to utilise Nigerian gas for power generation (instead of flaring it off). But the recurring issue of gas supply cuts has become to worrisome for ages and viable alternatives have to explored. There is absolutely no reason why Nigeria shouldn't have at least one or 2 mega coal power plants around the Enugu/Ebonyi/Benue/Kogi axis. These areas have abundant supply of coal, and unlike gas whose interrupted supply can instantly lead to a shutdown of the plants, sufficient buffer stock of coal could be stockpiled at coal plants to account for an extended period of a supply cut. This over reliance on gas really has to stop if we must make any progress in power generation; it's really disheartening that the nation's power supply can just nosedive by almost 50% within weeks.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by LordAdam: 11:37am On Mar 01, 2016
huntax:

Na so una go dey do trial and error until you die and your children will continue from where you stop.

Jonathan did more for the power sector than any leader in Nigeria's history.

OBJ invested $15b in power and got only 1500MW.

Jonathan used his tenure to scrap the useless behemoth NEPA/PHCN. Do you know how much he used to settle the greedy and unpatriotic PHCN officers that did not employ a new engineering graduate in over 20 years. Did you not hear of the man that used his 5 million naira severance pay to buy Jeep. That is one man, imagine how much other workers got. All just to unbundle the bleeding behemoth.

Today, private companies have started employing thousands of engineers and workers.

Next was to revamp the transmission lines that are suffering from much inefficiency, increase electrification and call on private entities to ramp up production.

So, don't turn your ignorance to fact.

GEJ was performing. Nigerians did not see it because they like miracle. Like how power improved immediately Buhari stepped in. That is what your kind like to hear. You will say we should be patient and give Buhari time, whereas you would be blind to the concrete steps made by GEJ.

Barth and Nebo were Nigeria's best performing power ministers. Both were appointed by GEJ. Barth resigned on his own after receiving plenty of threats from the same people that supported Buhari. Now you expect Buhari to magically transform the power sector with the same people that threatened Barth backing him up.

Look beyond your nose mate.

-Lord

2 Likes

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Reference(m): 11:39am On Mar 01, 2016
AdeniyiA:
This started not yesterday and when Elitist Fashola came, his only remedy was to put more burden of price increment on already over-stressed citizens ...
Nigeria is the only country where the poor/citizens suffer and pay for government incompetency and irresponsibility. where the government leaves you to be a government to yourself by providing all you need and your struggle and hustle are heavily taxed whereas they didn't help you climb...
What a useless and inconsiderate government we've been having undecided

Then why not take the final step and tell them to let you go. A child who has no parent has a right to bear the names of angels. Do you know that the sum capacity of all private petrol, diesel, gas, coal generating plants from the thousands of I-pass-my-neighbours to Dangotes's massive turbines is greater than the average generating capacity of PHCN/DISCOS. And that most localities if permitted to inject power into the grid can attain almost 24 hrs power at rates which will meet government's rising tariffs. What are we saying.

Just take the final step. It is called citizenship.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by bluaero(m): 11:40am On Mar 01, 2016
Trailblazer1:
grin grin grin grin grin

Are we not suffering all these together undecided

Ngeneukwenu
omenka
passingshot
mynd44
Obiagelli
Beremx

were you all exempted from this suffering grin grin grin

May you suffer more change cool

AMEN!!! angry
Useless lot!

Mynd44 oya ban me! RUBBISH angry
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Nobody: 11:42am On Mar 01, 2016
Justicealh3:
Dude, did u over sleep & wake just now
Dude e don dey wey I wake up.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by meccuno: 11:43am On Mar 01, 2016
Trailblazer1:
grin grin grin grin grin
Are we not suffering all these together undecided
Ngeneukwenu omenka passingshot mynd44 Obiagelli Beremx
were you all exempted from this suffering grin grin grin
May you suffer more change cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tribunal Rejects Saraki’s Appeal For Trial Judge To Disqualify Himself / Ramadan Fast: I Am Healthier Now – Buhari / Senate To CBN, Ministers: Your Policies Are Failing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.