Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,364 members, 7,826,429 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint (15044 Views)

Nationwide Darkness Looms As Electricity Supply Drops To 1,400MW / Power Supply Drops By 1,647MW / Agony, Hardship As Power Supply Drops To Six Hours Daily - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Fellywood(m): 11:44am On Mar 01, 2016
Mrfahaz:
we were promised change but we were not promised smooth road........gradually we will get there
God bless Nigeria
You are on a long thing bro. Even your people said you misunderstood their "change". You are on a long thing waiting for the promised change.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by blackpanda: 11:46am On Mar 01, 2016
But this same silly wailers complaining here were jubiliating when niger delta militants vowed to destroy pipelines. Very silly dumb useless wailers now crying when power drops.

Smh
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by bluaero(m): 11:46am On Mar 01, 2016
kITATITA:

When people like you are blowing up gas pipelines, you think Buhari will queue at the filling station with plastic container to buy petrol.

You my friend are the true definition of a ZOMBIE smiley

1 Like

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Fellywood(m): 11:46am On Mar 01, 2016
Tpave:
And Fashola wants to increase tariff while the power generation is on a decline.
The increase took effect from 1st February already.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by bluaero(m): 11:51am On Mar 01, 2016
Adminisher:

[s]Yes if i were Buhari, i would put the whole region on lock down. Full militarization of the place. Let them come and fight Nigerian Army. Since they think they will win, it will last years and they will lose everything . Young people will grow from teenage to thirties fighting. Then they will kniw what curse of war is about.
Maybe that is what the North needs to catch up with the rest of the country.

Generally speaking i am inclined to people suffering when they glorify war. Go and ask kids in Syria. They have lost everything and all the parties fighting will never ever ever get what they are fighting for[/s]

I'm still finding it hard to believe someone can sit down to type this rubbish! You need help undecided
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by meccuno: 11:51am On Mar 01, 2016
9japrof:
I am not a professional in the energy field but why must we continue with old ways that had been proven to be ineffective. sometimes I wonder whether this country is cursed, we have been doing this national grid stuff for many years and it is proven to be ineffective and we still insist it must work.

Why don't we unbundle the power stuff into six regions, the south south has the gas(we use the gas turbines to power electricity there) south east(Enugu) has coal, (get coal fired turbines to power electricity for the eastners {after all China and south Africa still use coal to power a large percent of their energy needs}. The north here has sun and dams (e.g Niger state with kainji, jebba, shiroro dams) use it to power the energy needs in the north. etc.

Why would we spend resources pulling energy to one national hub and still spend resources to distribute this energy and no doubt energy is been lost during the process.

People brought in APC to bring about change with the way things have been going before. the large carmotose of the national infrastructure can not be blamed on them but the truth is that it is always easy to criticize when you are not in the helm of affairs (e.g the silly sunday oliseh was so vocal during his time as a TV pundit, criticizing the then coach and the national team, Buh when he came on board he failed miserably)

Talk is cheap, I expect APC to change the political structure of this country, that is the only way we can develop, when regions compete effectively using the available resources within their regions and not depending on the entitlements from the centre, then we can grow. A million Buharis can't make Nigeria better without making the state/regions viable.

What are the advantages of unbundling Power are:

we spend less on constructing gas pipes from south to north (thereby saving foreign exchange Lol), that been said , less sabotage less maintenance.

People in the region would hold people around them accountable for the energy problems they have. people would tend to protect power facilities in their area cos they know that if it is vandalised they suffer it.

Common sense ain't common

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by MrGerald(m): 11:56am On Mar 01, 2016
Trailblazer1:
grin grin grin grin grin
Are we not suffering all these together undecided
Ngeneukwenu omenka passingshot mynd44 Obiagelli Beremx
were you all exempted from this suffering grin grin grin
May you suffer more change cool
May they suffer more than me
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Reference(m): 11:58am On Mar 01, 2016
LordAdam:

Solar is too expensive.

What we should invest heavily in is coal power. More electricity is derived from coal worldwide than any other source of electricity. It is cheap, we have plenty of dormant coal reserves in Nigeria.

I think Buhari should also do something about the vandalism. Even if na to setup special task force that stretches through the host communities. Contract the local vigilante of the host communities. And give strict conditions should leak or vandalism occur in their domains.

Nigeria's security apparatus cannot guarantee the smooth operations of all the pipelines in Nigeria. If we have surplus of gas and use gas as a major driver in the production of electricity, I wonder why we would allow pipelines to be vandalized at will.

If it is oil pipelines that will disrupt oil production and stop money from flowing into the pockets of the northern elite, they will send battalions. But when it is gas pipeline to supply gas for production of electricity for the average Nigerian, they will sit in their AC office dishing out propaganda because they run the administration on diesel generators.

Nigeria's problem is the structure. It is too defective. The President would do nothing because he doesn't have the right advisers, or because his advisers serve other masters. If the minister does something on his own, it would have no weight because civil servants have their own agenda. Even the security people have their own agenda. Community people have their own agenda. Youths have their own agenda. Electricity producers and distributors have their own agenda.

We are just been pulled in all directions. That is why electricity supply in Nigeria will keep dancing back and forth. Even if you make Thomas Edison Minister of Power (Works and Housing) in Nigeria, the glut will still remain. We have to restructure the country, because it is the same rot that is affecting all the sectors.

Imagine ASUU asking the FG to exempt them from TSA. After they run universities like independent economies and receive more salary than the soldiers protecting our lives and property.

-Lord

Why pipelines. Why not locate the power plants right there at the gas fields. Instead they scatter them round the country for ethno-sentimental reasons. If a particular gas well or a collection in close proximity can sustain a 10 megawatt plant so be it. The oil majors have been doing so for decades to power their operations and host communties. In the US and europe there are thousands and thousands of plants of all sorts of sizes and fuels it is impossible for system collapse to occur. Must every plant be 500 megawatt and located in someone's village a gazzilion miles away. Poor strategy. Foolish thinking. It is like building a dam in Lokoja and then piping high pressure water to turbines in Lagos. Daft.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by stanley000: 11:59am On Mar 01, 2016
Emekamex:
The government should invest more on dams.
-It is more reliable and more stable.
-It is less prone to vandalism.
Gas supply has always been an issue in Nigeria year in year out due to vandalism, it is about time we think outside the box and do things differently.
yea you are right but do you know how much getting a dam costs? very few African countries have be able to own a dam without foreign aid from world powers so I guess building a dam means more debts and of course more corruption
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Adminisher: 11:59am On Mar 01, 2016
LordAdam:

Don't mind them. It was under GEJ that the first coal electricity production plant was commissioned by a private company. I wonder if that project will be continued, now that Buhari is there. Or if more coal plants will be commissioned by Buhari.

No expert has said we cannot use coal electricity in Nigeria or that we would not derive the same benefits countries like US, China, South Africa and the rest of the world is deriving from using coal to produce electricity.

The worse part is that Nigeria has a very huge market for electricity. The total estimated demand including industries according to MAN is at least 100,000 MW. Then Nigeria can export electricity to the entire West Africa, spreading our influence and bringing in more revenue.

-Lord
Please let us be factual.

There was exactly ZERO construction or commissioning of coal fired plants during Jonathans time. All i remember is an MOU.
Infact the ex minister of power signed more MOUs than contract agreements throughout his term.

Coal is the best and easiest solution but GEJ did nothing to turn around the coal mining sector . All Buhari has done is also mere good intentions as well.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Trailblazer1(m): 11:59am On Mar 01, 2016
Adminisher:

Yes if i were Buhari, i would put the whole region on lock down. Full militarization of the place. Let them come and fight Nigerian Army. Since they think they will win, it will last years and they will lose everything . Young people will grow from teenage to thirties fighting. Then they will kniw what curse of war is about.
Maybe that is what the North needs to catch up with the rest of the country.

Generally speaking i am inclined to people suffering when they glorify war. Go and ask kids in Syria. They have lost everything and all the parties fighting will never ever ever get what they are fighting for

From which zoo were you born undecided
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by LordAdam: 11:59am On Mar 01, 2016
obailala:
I totally agree with you on the coal matter, I understand the need to utilise Nigerian gas for power generation (instead of flaring it off). But the recurring issue of gas supply cuts has become to worrisome for ages and viable alternatives have to explored. There is absolutely no reason why Nigeria shouldn't have at least one or 2 mega coal power plants around the Enugu/Ebonyi/Benue/Kogi axis. These areas have abundant supply of coal, and unlike gas whose interrupted supply can instantly lead to a shutdown of the plants, sufficient buffer stock of coal could be stockpiled at coal plants to account for an extended period of a supply cut. This over reliance on gas really has to stop if we must make any progress in power generation; it's really disheartening that the nation's power supply can just nosedive by almost 50% within weeks.

I think the policy makers are subtly against the coal idea because it will have to be located in the SE axis. The first coal electricity project started under GEJ was by a private consortium. It will be interesting to see what Buhari and Fashola say about it. As for this year, none of Fashola press statements has mentioned anything about coal.

I think like the refinery and tomato paste private sector revolutions, coal electricity production is one sector that will need private sector revolution if it needs the support of the federal government. The major problem is that the power sector is a capital-intensive sector especially the production/generation sub-sector. Our banks can't sustain the amount of loan involved citing the lots of bad loans they have and the current state of the economy. FDI is at its lowest levels in 5 years, the privatization of the electricity sector is not yet complete, so we cannot exactly count on foreign investors to throw their money into private coal electricity production.

About the gas, it is a fairly recent idea to base the bulk of our electricity production on gas. It used to be the dams. So challenges are expected. However, the stakeholders have to figure out a way to check the frequent vandalism. Now is the time to do goat and yam theory because Nigeria does not have the finance or means to monitor all the gas pipelines with manned security guards, and brute force is not a solution.

If true federalism was in vogue, this problem would be far less severe. So right now, it is very difficult to say how we can curb this. Even the oil pipelines that is predominant in just two zones (SS and SW) with a standing military force (JTF) and contracted private security (Tompolo (before his fall out), Ayiri (still has his contract) et al), and billions of naira spent on security, we still have vandalism from the creeks in Bayelsa to the slums in Ijebu. It's now vandalism of gas pipelines throughout the country that we would be able curb?

Buhari and Fashola has to act fast in this regard because there is no more oil boom, oil will remain at perpetual lows for the next couple of years, so we cannot afford to be sinking money in the wrong hole. Moreover, if investors don't make the profits they expect in time, it will greatly undermine our privatization efforts.

-Lord
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Adminisher: 12:05pm On Mar 01, 2016
bluaero:

I'm still finding it hard to believe someone can sit down to type this rubbish! You need help undecided

It is not rubbish at all. Do you know how many billions go into oil and gas facilities? For young men to be blowing them up and inviting the army into some kind of death match is extremely foolish. You will not awe Nigeria.

If you say you will fight then it is important to paint a picture and it is not romantic. It is painful. No education, no jobs, no career, no future, no marriage.. and that is maybe for ten years . That is the length of the average low intensity conflict. At the end of the day you dont even get what you want a d another smaller war breaks out between the factions on the same side.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Nobody: 12:11pm On Mar 01, 2016
9japrof:
I am not a professional in the energy field but why must we continue with old ways that had been proven to be...

Nailed it!
But trust me, except a revolution occurs, Nigeria can not work.

People resist all these things, it's not like professionals in the field don't know or haven't recommended them.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Reference(m): 12:11pm On Mar 01, 2016
IzonOwei:
nigeria is being run on the same template of failure and still expecting different results..what stops each zone in the nation from autonomously generating power form its energy sources present in the zones

what is stopping us from adopting true federalism and regionalism so that we can grow....

Abi oh. Using the resources at its doorsteps. That is business sense. Not the nonsense ethnic-foolery we practice in Nigeria. No gas plant should be located outside the Niger-Delta. It doesn't make economic, security or strategic sense. What is a gas plant doing in Kogi state. What is another doing in Osun. Is that not the major reason why the biggest one Egbin will never operate optimally. It is a fish out of water. The plant in Kogi will have better served as a coal fired plant. Kogi has some coal and a rail line some 300 kilometres to Enugu's coal deposits will have been a better economic decision than a 700 kilometer gas pipeline to Escravos or wherever.

2 Likes

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by meccuno: 12:22pm On Mar 01, 2016
kYjelly2:

you are not yet a full zombie, still in transition undecided
please how long does it take to become a full zombie? Thanxx. grin

1 Like

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Nobody: 12:22pm On Mar 01, 2016
Reference:

Abi oh. Using the resources at its doorsteps. That is business sense. Not the nonsense ethnic-foolery we practice in Nigeria. No gas plant should be located outside the Niger-Delta. It doesn't make economic, security or strategic sense. What is a gas plant doing in Kogi state. What is another doing in Osun. Is that not the major reason why the biggest one Egbin will never operate optimally. It is a fish out of water. The plant in Kogi will have better served as a coal fired plant. Kogi has some coal and a rail line some 300 kilometres to Enugu's coal deposits will have been a better economic decision than a 700 kilometer gas pipeline to Escravos or wherever.
now you just mentioned exactly what our aged problem is..We must locate infrastructures for energy production in proximity to where energy sources are located to save cost and up efficiency...I remember back in then days when bayelsa autonomously ran it's electricity production via gas turbines without any entanglement with our useless national grid...We would usually enjoy light for 6months without a blink..The moment bayelsa state integrated it's power production into the national grid everything fell apart yakata...this country will remain a curse if we don't do things the right way... angry
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by 9japrof(m): 12:23pm On Mar 01, 2016
LordAdam:

Your sense dey there. We need true federalism in this country if we really want to develop in less time.

It is a good thing that APC is failing. At least, people are now receptive of the idea of seeking a long-lasting solution than banking on fake promises.

-Lord

I dislike APC and their propaganda but I don't pray they fail, you know why ? cos if their fail, the Nigeria project keeps failing and it boils down on the common citizens like us who would bear the brunt fully.

Nigeria needs surgical procedure, that's the only remedy, but how would that surgical procedure come about, don't even bring in the revolution ish here cos it cannot work in the multifaceted and polarised country like Nigeria where tribalism and nepotism holds sway. We are stucked for good
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by bonechamberlain(m): 12:23pm On Mar 01, 2016
huntax:

Must people always compare present and past governments whenever issues arise? It's becoming childish to be frank. Even the purest led government encounters challenges. Jonathan wasn't improving and we opted for a change in government. If this one doesn't improve, we will do the same. Stop making it seem as if Jonathan would have done better. If the vandals were killed like fowls, you'd all come here and accuse Buhari of being a military man.
the sai buharists folks enjoy demonizing the past govt, so its normal to compare, 2) APC led govt before coming into power abused and accused the past govt of inefficiency, as a result of vandals destroying our pipelines, instead of them supporting and assisting the past govt to deal with this vandals as it all affects all, they choose to demonize, insult and accuse the past govt. now its happening under their nose, what they supported and they are now giving the same excuse given by the past govt.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by LordAdam: 12:24pm On Mar 01, 2016
Adminisher:

Please let us be factual.

There was exactly ZERO construction or commissioning of coal fired plants during Jonathans time. All i remember is an MOU.
Infact the ex minister of power signed more MOUs than contract agreements throughout his term.

Coal is the best and easiest solution but GEJ did nothing to turn around the coal mining sector . All Buhari has done is also mere good intentions as well.

With privatization still underway, MOUs are just as important as contract agreements. Construction is done by private entities right now to protect wastage when government fund these projects. These projects take time to kick off because the private investors need to make concrete plans for financing. So Jonathan laid the ground work to welcome interests that are already materializing. It is innovative because no president had done so from Nnamdi Azikiwe until Yaradua.

So I wonder what your gripe with Jonathan is?

Geometric Power and One Energy Platform have already established timelines way before Buhari stepped into power.

About the ex-minister signing more MOUs than contract, it just shows that you want magic, which is why you voted a magician that is currently scamming you and your ilk.

Jonathan was privatizing the power sector, in fact it is still on-going. What we have achieved is complete privatization of the distribution to form the discos you hear about. There are still plenty of efforts to be made for complete privatization of the generation and transmission sub-sectors.

That is why he had to sign more MoU's than contracts. Electricity is a capital-intensive business. Players break even in around half to a decade, then make their profits way some 10 years after. It's not telecommunications. No one will just dump huge amount of money in a volatile economy like Nigeria without doing their due diligence and committing the government.

Now that Buhari has succeeded in making Nigeria unattractive for FDI, were are the MoU's to sign talk more of contract or commissioning of projects.

One problem in Nigeria is that most of us; who get to make the loudest noise by the way, pull more followership, and vote based on sentiment than on facts; have very little understanding of the problems we face.

That is why people can jor believe lies like 5000 naira for 30 million unemployed graduates (Obiagelli, I see you) without figuring out where the money would come from or the importance of such welfare package is.

OBJ spent 8 years, invested $15b and generated 1500 MW, now you expect Jonathan to continue commissioning phantom projects that would be jeopardized by the same partisan, unpatriotic elements that are currently jeopardizing his efforts long after he has left the seat, without following due process by having complete mutual understanding with the private investors that would bring in the money.

China used $20b to construct a 22,000MW dam. Nigeria's current reserve is $27b. Do you think Nigeria has the money to deliver uninterrupted power supply to 180 million people and over 100,000 businesses with a combined electricity demand of at least 100,000 MW (according to Manufacturing Association of Nigeria)?

Nigeria is poor and broke. If you think signing MoU's was too slow, no problem, let us wait till 2019. Since you will say 9 months is not enough to assess the performance of Buhari and his team of noise-makers. I want to see the magic that APC will do to make Nigeria produce 10,000MW by 2019 with all the stupid noise they are making, if they do not sign the same MoU's.

-Lord
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Eberex(m): 12:33pm On Mar 01, 2016
undecided

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by 9japrof(m): 12:35pm On Mar 01, 2016
0rex:

Nailed it!

People resist all these things, it's not like professionals in the field don't know or haven't recommended them.

Bros quote me anywhere, a revolution can never work in our society. our society is so polarised and defragmented that unity of purpose is a problem. we tend to channel our frustration towards the wrong channels.

I agree with you except on the issue of revolution
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by LordAdam: 12:35pm On Mar 01, 2016
Reference:

Why pipelines. Why not locate the power plants right there at the gas fields. Instead they scatter them round the country for ethno-sentimental reasons. If a particular gas well or a collection in close proximity can sustain a 10 megawatt plant so be it. The oil majors have been doing so for decades to power their operations and host communties. In the US and europe there are thousands and thousands of plants of all sorts of sizes and fuels it is impossible for system collapse to occur. Must every plant be 500 megawatt and located in someone's village a gazzilion miles away. Poor strategy. Foolish thinking. It is like building a dam in Lokoja and then piping high pressure water to turbines in Lagos. Daft.

It will continue to be like that in a country where a head of a parastatal is questioned by a sitting committee of elite national legislative members for not promoting enough northerners. In a country where everyone from CJN to COAS to governors will constantly move important institutions to their respective villages or towns that are cut off from civilization. In a country where a president is crucified for not "doing enough" for his people.

The northerners, especially people in Katsina, will hail Buhari if he establishes a gas turbine in Daura than in Forcados where the gas is produced, not minding the high logistic and operational cost in the long run.

When Jonathan wanted to start the war on BH, Buhari said in a meeting with sitting northern elites that Jonathan is rewarding those in the south blowing pipelines with amnesty while he wants to kill their sons in the north. This same ignoramus became the President a couple of months later. Would you imagine all the dust that would have occurred if Jonathan had broken the principles of federal charter and simply played the dumb card by doing as he wishes? There would be impeachment calls and labelling him a tyrant. After all, because he simply prayed in a church, he was called useless. He visited Israel for pilgrimage, and a Sheikh called it an "insult on muslims."

Later you find those in the minority south whose rights have been trampled upon shouting Sai Buhari and bowing to the Northern oligarchy. Even the myopic West would call themselves sophisticated because they are following the conquered muslims and slaves of the Northern oligarchy (Tinubu, Fash, Aregbeseola) who just happen to share the same ethnicity.

Let Nigeria continue like this. It serves us right until we are able to develop a functional brain.

-Lord
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Reference(m): 12:36pm On Mar 01, 2016
0rex:

Nailed it!

So we now admit that the sum total of our problems is structural....not electoral, not party political, not presidential....but this country is simply assembled dysfunctional.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Truckpusher(m): 12:36pm On Mar 01, 2016
IzonOwei:
now you just mentioned exactly what our aged problem is..We must locate infrastructures for energy production in proximity to where energy sources are located to save cost and up efficiency...I remember back in then days when bayelsa autonomously ran it's electricity production via gas turbines without any entanglement with our useless national grid...We would usually enjoy light for 6months without a blink..The moment bayelsa state integrated it's power production into the national grid everything fell apart yakata...this country will remain a curse if we don't do things the right way... angry
The national grid policy is still an avenue for the parasitic regions of this country to exercise their continuous leeching on other regions that have done their bits in making improvements in the power sector.This is one reason why they have vehemently refused to adhere to any debate that will bring into fruition the real ideal ideology which is true federalism yet in one breath they still insult these regions that have made their existence a dream come true while beating their empty chest all for nothing. I simply refer to them as "big for nothing tribes" .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by obailala(m): 12:39pm On Mar 01, 2016
LordAdam:

I think the policy makers are subtly against the coal idea because it will have to be located in the SE axis. The first coal electricity project started under GEJ was by a private consortium. It will be interesting to see what Buhari and Fashola say about it. As for this year, none of Fashola press statements has mentioned anything about coal.

I think like the refinery and tomato paste private sector revolutions, coal electricity production is one sector that will need private sector revolution if it needs the support of the federal government. The major problem is that the power sector is a capital-intensive sector especially the production/generation sub-sector. Our banks can't sustain the amount of loan involved citing the lots of bad loans they have and the current state of the economy. FDI is at its lowest levels in 5 years, the privatization of the electricity sector is not yet complete, so we cannot exactly count on foreign investors to throw their money into private coal electricity production.

About the gas, it is a fairly recent idea to base the bulk of our electricity production on gas. It used to be the dams. So challenges are expected. However, the stakeholders have to figure out a way to check the frequent vandalism. Now is the time to do goat and yam theory because Nigeria does not have the finance or means to monitor all the gas pipelines with manned security guards, and brute force is not a solution.

If true federalism was in vogue, this problem would be far less severe. So right now, it is very difficult to say how we can curb this. Even the oil pipelines that is predominant in just two zones (SS and SW) with a standing military force (JTF) and contracted private security (Tompolo (before his fall out), Ayiri (still has his contract) et al), and billions of naira spent on security, we still have vandalism from the creeks in Bayelsa to the slums in Ijebu. It's now vandalism of gas pipelines throughout the country that we would be able curb?

Buhari and Fashola has to act fast in this regard because there is no more oil boom, oil will remain at perpetual lows for the next couple of years, so we cannot afford to be sinking money in the wrong hole. Moreover, if investors don't make the profits they expect in time, it will greatly undermine our privatization efforts.

-Lord
Firstly, if the coal plants being in the SE is the problem of the policy makers as you allege, then it could have been built in Benue or Kogi. Secondly, if it being in the SE is the case as you allege, then all the gas powered IPP's built in the SE wouldn't have been executed. We need to really wake up and expunge this paranoid mentality from our heads if we must make any reasonable progress. The reason why no coal plant has been built in the SE is the same reason why the Mambilla hydro dam, Ajaokuta & Delta steel plants and many other worthwhile projects have not been executed; it is the general Nigerian problem of corruption and visionless/focusless leadership, and not a SE marginalisation issue like most of us have been brought up to believe.

Regarding the planned coal plant in Enugu, I think that is wholly an idea of Barth Nnaji's Geometric Power Ltd. I have no idea of the progress of that project nor whether it was ever started.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by LordAdam: 12:47pm On Mar 01, 2016
9japrof:

I dislike APC and their propaganda but I don't pray they fail, you know why ? cos if their fail, the Nigeria project keeps failing and it boils down on the common citizens like us who would bear the brunt fully.

Nigeria needs surgical procedure, that's the only remedy, but how would that surgical procedure come about, don't even bring in the revolution ish here cos it cannot work in the multifaceted and polarised country like Nigeria where tribalism and nepotism holds sway. We are stucked for good

The only revolution that can happen in Nigeria is the one engineered by foreign elements like what happened in the Arab Spring. Such revolution will favor those who engineer it than us, as is evident in Libya and Egypt that have become too destabilized to ever be worth living in. And trust me that is easy. After all, the US and UK provided the needed push to install a Jihadist as the president (with amongst many other subtle things giving Buhari the campaign director of Obama and warning the Nigerian government in advance not to dispute election results).

So yeah, a revolution engineered by the masses for our own benefit is not possible.

With that said, I would rather they do not fail. But ultimately they will, and trust me the citizen need a failure than a success. If oil price did not fall and the economy did not go bad, no one will be talking about #buynigeriatogrownaira or the renewed call for #truefederalism.

If things improve now, all of those clamors will die down faster than a candle going off in an hurricane. We would start talking about increasing wages without first thinking about how we would raise the money to foot the growing bill, or how to pay our rising debts. In fact TUC is already asking Buhari to start drafting a new minimum wage, at a time when workers in states have not been paid salaries, we are running a N2.2 trillion naira deficit (that may rise to N3t), and use N1t every year to pay interest on our debts. People will just go behave as if they have akamu in their skulls.

Then 2019 they will vote based on sentiment and continue passing blames.

I don't feel sorry for Nigerians. If you are enlightened, it is left for you to enter the middle class or higher and protect your finances. Naija na OYO. This patriotism na wash.

-Lord
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by ken4jj(m): 12:49pm On Mar 01, 2016
9japrof:
I am not a professional in the energy field but why must we continue with old ways that had been proven to be ineffective. sometimes I wonder whether this country is cursed, we have been doing this national grid stuff for many years and it is proven to be ineffective and we still insist it must work.

Why don't we unbundle the power stuff into six regions, the south south has the gas(we use the gas turbines to power electricity there) south east(Enugu) has coal, (get coal fired turbines to power electricity for the eastners {after all China and south Africa still use coal to power a large percent of their energy needs}. The north here has sun and dams (e.g Niger state with kainji, jebba, shiroro dams) use it to power the energy needs in the north. etc.

Why would we spend resources pulling energy to one national hub and still spend resources to distribute this energy and no doubt energy is been lost during the process.

People brought in APC to bring about change with the way things have been going before. the large carmotose of the national infrastructure can not be blamed on them but the truth is that it is always easy to criticize when you are not in the helm of affairs (e.g the silly sunday oliseh was so vocal during his time as a TV pundit, criticizing the then coach and the national team, Buh when he came on board he failed miserably)

Talk is cheap, I expect APC to change the political structure of this country, that is the only way we can develop, when regions compete effectively using the available resources within their regions and not depending on the entitlements from the centre, then we can grow. A million Buharis can't make Nigeria better without making the state/regions viable.

What are the advantages of unbundling Power are:

we spend less on constructing gas pipes from south to north (thereby saving foreign exchange Lol), that been said , less sabotage less maintenance.

People in the region would hold people around them accountable for the energy problems they have. people would tend to protect power facilities in their area cos they know that if it is vandalised they suffer it.

Common sense ain't common

You just nailed it. For how long will our power generation will be rising and falling like a Peni55? Today rise, tomorrow fall. I don't know why our leaders cannot try a different approach to national problems. I'm so ashamed of this country. I have traveled to several countries in different continents and this is the only place i have seen generators. I keep trying so hard not to believe that the black man does not have the capability of solving any problem. Common light, Bangladesh take for granted, Nigeria does not have. na waa ooo
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Reference(m): 12:50pm On Mar 01, 2016
IzonOwei:

And every part of the country has the natural endowment to be self sufficient. The north is not energy thirsty. It can do very well with the serious solar flux it enjoys year round. Not a penny is invested in this.

Coming to the Bayelsa thing. I was around there when they were being hooked up and I could not imagine why because it was about the same time Rivers started the Omoku IPP and what we thought was the road to power independence. My brother Nigeria's problems are clear. They are not issues of incompetence or corruption but of the way the country operates and how its peoples relate. We put sentiments ahead of even the most obvious decisions a child would make. We cannot survive this way.

1 Like

Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Abagworo(m): 12:51pm On Mar 01, 2016
The cycle of doom continues. I sincerely want this APC Government to end the lower issue. The 2 things I want from Buhari is

1 Kill all the looters in the last administration to serve as deterrent to looters in your present Government and in future.

2 Give us stable power and bow out in honour.
Re: Power Supply Drops To 2,665MW Due To Explosions, Gas Constraint by Reference(m): 1:00pm On Mar 01, 2016
9japrof:

You are partisan, sentimental and very, very wrong. Who is a patriot please. A person who seeks the good of his country, irrespective of his personal values. You don't want a revolution because you don't want to bear the brunt, so you want the pre-existing system, the status quo maintained which you know is fatally flawed?

So in a nutshell you are satisfied to live a life without electricity and you will age and go to the grave with that satisfaction that that is the best your country could give you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EFCC Detains Banu Kwara Finance Commissioner, Accountant General / Igno-anu Specialist Hospital, Enugu Nears Completion. Pictures / Ita Enang: FG To Revamp Abandoned Fishing Terminals In Akwa Ibom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.