Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,131 members, 7,845,753 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Are Bridges Different From Roads? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Bridges Different From Roads? (1325 Views)

I Spent 10-years Under Lagos Bridges - Dolapo Osinbajo / #presidentialmediachat: Buhari Not Different From Adolf Hitler – PDP / People Who Failed To Use Pedestrian Bridges In Lagos Punished (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Bridges Different From Roads? by Nobody: 12:16am On Mar 02, 2016
I am opening this thread out of curiosity...

The VP, prof Osinbajo said no new roads was constructed in the last 10years.

Reno Omokri replied via tweets, one of his tweets says that GEJ initiated and completed 9 new bridges..

some people made comments that bridge are not roads..

my question is: are bridges (not pedestrians) different from roads?
if yes, what are the differences? (Is d 3rd mainland bridge in Lagos not a road?)

NOTE; I am not a GEJ or PMB supporter...
I am just a Nigerian that wants to learn.

u can insult if u want to...it doesn't bother me.

cc
lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by Nobody: 12:52am On Mar 02, 2016
Yes!
Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by Nobody: 12:53am On Mar 02, 2016
ugolance:
Yes!
explain please

1 Like

Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by Nobody: 4:03am On Mar 02, 2016
Bridges are roads, its cars that ply it not planes. This is just like saying Short bread is not biscuit just because bread was added to the name. Zombies are delusional from the Highest of them to the lowest simple. And its only a stupid man than Pursues rat when his house is on fire. And to answer "The fallen prophet", what part of Nigeria do we really need a new road to access? Every route connecting all cities had either an abandoned road or a dilapidated road. So was he expecting Jonathan to tear open new tracks and start construction on those new tracks instead of putting the existing tracks in order?

4 Likes

Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by Olarajee(m): 4:38am On Mar 02, 2016
So you think say that commissioner knw wetin him dey talk nii? Power dey intoxicate jawe.

1 Like

Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by M4gunners: 5:34am On Mar 02, 2016
Leave the Pastor with his propaganda. Bridges are road.
Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by themaingate1: 6:13am On Mar 02, 2016
A bridge is a structure built to span physical obstacles without closing the way underneath such as a body of water, valley, or road, for the purpose of providing passage over the obstacle.

A road is a thoroughfare, route, or way on land between two places that has been paved or otherwise improved to allow travel by foot or some form of conveyance, including a horse, cart, bicycle, or motor vehicle.

In conclusion, a bridge is not thesame as a road

Osinbanjo knows what he is saying ,he is not a road side prof

3 Likes

Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by kenny987(f): 6:53am On Mar 02, 2016
themaingate1:
A bridge is a structure built to span physical obstacles without closing the way underneath such as a body of water, valley, or road, for the purpose of providing passage over the obstacle.

A road is a thoroughfare, route, or way on land between two places that has been paved or otherwise improved to allow travel by foot or some form of conveyance, including a horse, cart, bicycle, or motor vehicle.

In conclusion, a bridge is not thesame as a road

Osinbanjo knows what he is saying ,he is not a road side prof

Both structures provide passages and links from one point to another. What u find on a 'road' u also find on a 'bridge' or flyover. Both have got traffic lights, are tarred or graded, are designed for vehicular passage and ultimately lead one from point A to B, C or D as the case may be.

Kpekere or dodo is a matter of cooking method and usage but they are both plantain. Can u confidently use Kpekere to eat rice or indomie? In the same vein can u carry dodo around as a snack the same way u would kpekere? But both are made from plantain. In other words, roads and bridges are all passages only termed differently because of usage and purpose.

I daresay that with the growth and expansion of an already established society, bridges become more essential to provide alternative routes and ease traffic caused mainly by expected increase in number of persons and vehicles.

Like someone asked, is 3rd Mainland Bridge a road? If u feel it is not, what new 'road' in the literal sense u try to portray will link the mainland and island as effectively as the bridge so as to qualify as building new roads? Of what use would d bridge be if it is not created exactly like a 'road' to allow passage? Why is there a need for a 4th mainland bridge rather than 'new roads'?

3 Likes

Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by Nobody: 7:11am On Mar 02, 2016
from d comments of kenny987 and themaingate1 , I can conclude dat a bridge carries a road...which means a bridge would be useless if a road is not constructed on it..

I can conclude dat as far as construction is concerned, all bridges have roads in them but not all roads are bridges..

I am not here to support any politician, here to learn... if we all can be unsentimental, den we will fight less and learn more..

I am still open to other suggestions tho....

lalasticlala can help!!

1 Like

Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by babyfaceafrica: 7:13am On Mar 02, 2016
Which kain question be this?,don't you have dictonary?...
Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by blackpanda: 7:18am On Mar 02, 2016
The fact that some people have to crack their brain to identify the so called "new roads" built by pdp in the last 10yrs tells me that the VP Osinbajo was definitely right!

I expected pdp to immediately start naming roads the built, not hiding behinde phantom defence of road patchwork which never last. And btw u need to see how much they have poured into their phantom projects

Go and see what Obiano is doing, even with limited resources. That is a govt thats thinking forward!
Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by kenny987(f): 7:33am On Mar 02, 2016
blackpanda:
The fact that some people have to crack their brain to identify the so called "new roads" built by pdp in the last 10yrs tells me that the VP Osinbajo was definitely right!

I expected pdp to immediately start naming roads the built, not hiding behinde phantom defence of road patchwork which never last. And btw u need to see how much they have poured into their phantom projects

Go and see what Obiano is doing, even with limited resources. That is a govt thats thinking forward!

Good. Obiano is doing well and I pray the Lord to keep him in the right path that he doesn't derail and become an unconcerned tyrant.
I agree with u on the cost of road construction awards, that is another avenue for blatant siphoning of funds, never mind awarded contracts that are never executed.

That said, is Obiano building any 'new road' or rehabilitating existing ones. Bridges/flyovers, yes but we will discount that now since they seem not to qualify as roads.

U do realise that asking what new road GEJ constructed is referring to Federal Trunk A roads. Going by what Federal roads entail, is there any justification for looking for new, never before used roads created by the last administration? I would think more attention at Federal level would be paid on upgrade and creation of alternative routes which is where bridges would most likely suffice.

I am of the opinion that new roads would most likely be required to connect hinterlands and remote villages and create easier access. That would naturally be the responsibility of State and local governments.
I don't know how vast a knowledge of Nigerian geography u have but can u enlighten me on places or areas where new federal roads should have been created/constructed and this wasn't done by past administrations?

1 Like

Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by blackpanda: 7:40am On Mar 02, 2016
kenny987:

Good. Obiano is doing well and I pray the Lord to keep him in the right path that he doesn't derail and become an unconcerned tyrant.
I agree with u on the cost of road construction awards, that is another avenue for blatant siphoning of funds, never mind awarded contracts that are never executed.

That said, is Obiano building any 'new road' or rehabilitating existing ones. Bridges/flyovers, yes but we will discount that now since they seem not to qualify as roads.

U do realise that asking what new road GEJ constructed is referring to Federal Trunk A roads. Going by what Federal roads entail, is there any justification for looking for new, never before used roads created by the last administration? I would think more attention at Federal level would be paid on upgrade and creation of alternative routes which is where bridges would most likely suffice.

I am of the opinion that new roads would most likely be required to connect hinterlands and remote villages and create easier access. That would naturally be the responsibility of State and local governments.
I don't know how vast a knowledge of Nigerian geography u have but can u enlighten me on places or areas where new federal roads should have been created/constructed and this wasn't done by past administrations?

First of all, the VP wasnt only referring to GEJ administration. Even if fed govt wants to patch existing roads, are u telling me 16yrs is not enough time to build a single new road

And no, federal roads also extends to some areas within the state. But even at that, there are still horrible areas inter-connecting states for which there are no roads. The entire south east was practically forgotten by federal govt in terms of road construction. Even lagos was forced to construct federal roads by itself. And all this was happening at a time when there was boom in oil prices. A time when we could conveniently tarr every single road in nigeria and not even break a sweat!
Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by Nobody: 7:40am On Mar 02, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Which kain question be this?,don't you have dictonary?...
I don't have...give me one!
Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by kenny987(f): 7:50am On Mar 02, 2016
blackpanda:

First of all, the VP wasnt only referring to GEJ administration. Even if fed govt wants to patch existing roads, are u telling me 16yrs is not enough time to build a single new road

And no, federal roads also extends to some areas within the state. But even at that, there are still horrible areas inter-connecting states for which there are no roads. The entire south east was practically forgotten by federal govt in terms of road construction. Even lagos was forced to construct federal roads by itself. And all this was happening at a time when there was boom in oil prices. A time when we could conveniently tarr every single road in nigeria and not even break a sweat!

I am sure somewhere in my post I said 'past administrations'. Clearly shows I wasn't stuck on just GEJ either. I do not excuse the fact that a lot could and should have been done that wasn't done. Yes, the SE has been relegated as far as infrastructural development is concerned however, there seems to be a deep effort to create the impression that there is no new road opened up and created because u clearly believe that the bit done in the past was done on existing roads, only to upgrade or repair as the case may be.

Now, the very bad roads in the East, are they already in existence? It is no news that there has been a systematic and deliberate disregard of road and infrastructural development in the East by past administrations even during d military era. Now, assuming the PDP was more diligent in addressing this areas in the SE, would they have been said to have constructed new roads or repaired and upgraded existing ones?
Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by Nobody: 9:10am On Mar 02, 2016
blackpanda:

Lol, you say patch road. Nigerians! I saw old roads dismantled. I mean scrapped and new on built for kilometers. If that is patching to you, am sorry politics is bad to the black man
Re: Are Bridges Different From Roads? by richeso: 2:45pm On Mar 02, 2016
APC, one year is almost gone. how many OLD gutter ( not even a Road or Bridge) , am not saying new one oo have you renovated ?

what is the cost to build a new bridge compared to Road ?

(1) (Reply)

Bank Of Industry Just Commissioned Its First Clean Energy Project In anambra / Army Reclaims Gwashari Village,Kills 1 & Capture 3 Boko Haram Terrorists(pics) / Dss Went To Poison Nnamdi Kanu After Obj's Visit To Aso Rock.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.