Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,122 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

Should One Treat His In-laws As Friends Or As An Official Relationship? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should One Treat His In-laws As Friends Or As An Official Relationship? (455 Views)

'Blood Money- Lady Dances Ontop Money As Friends Spray At Her Wedding, Reaction / Dangers Of Sending Your Nude Pictures To Your Friends Or Posting Them On S/M(Pic / Do You Cut All Ties With An Ex Or Move Forward As Friends? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should One Treat His In-laws As Friends Or As An Official Relationship? by marked10(m): 10:07am On Mar 02, 2016
Exlink Lodge

The one question or puzzle which has continued to flow under the rader in a relationship without being properly answered is "How do one relate with his in-laws". Some argue that you must as a matter of fact make your in-laws your friends while others argue that the relationship between one and his in-laws should be cordial if not official. Some also argue that the way a man relates to his in-laws should be different to the way a woman relate to her in-laws.

I recently heard about an experience from one of my male friend who is married to an older woman (13yrs difference) which also earns more than him. She does send this guy to errands like he is her "errand boy" so to say (but that might not be the case), which the guy is and has always been glad to do since he is not doing anything very tangeble that is tying him down. But this particular errand, the guy refused and they are really having great misunderstanding on its account and he needs advice.

He told me that his wife sent him to buy set of furniture (chairs and bed) and then deliver it to her mothers house (which is his in-laws) and also help them fix everything. hmmmmmm, my guy said: "this is the height of it", he refused and told her that if she wants to buy furniture for her parents, let her do it by herself or better still hire people or call his brothers to do it. Problem don star be that.

Since last two weeks now, my guys told me that they are no longer talking to each other even though the guy is still staying in her house. He doesn't know what to do anymore.

His question is: Did he do a bad thing by refusing to go this particular errand?

To me, I don't think he did anything wrong. From were i grew up and how i was trained. A man is not surpose to visit his in-laws house anyhow. In fact before my father visit my mum's house, they will inform them so as to be prepared for him. And when you come to your in-laws house, you are restricted to the palour. You don't go around entering rooms in your in-laws place and helping them fix things.

However, for men: I think your relationship with your in-laws should be official and a little bit of cordial. Yes, because you are a man. But for women, you know you can't be official with your in-laws in this part of the world. If you think you wanna be exclusive with your in-laws, please move to America or Germany and get married their. But as long as you are in African and Nigeria in particular, you are going to be a friend to your in-laws, their daughter, their family and etc.

You can add your thoughts and advice.

For More, visit http://www.exlinklodge.com/2016/03/should-one-treat-his-in-laws-as-friends.html

lalasticlala

Re: Should One Treat His In-laws As Friends Or As An Official Relationship? by vizkiz: 10:16am On Mar 02, 2016
if you see me rap with my sister's husband, you will think he is my colleague at work. The whole "inlaw" shiit is an old tradition

(1) (Reply)

True Love / Wat Do U Fink? / My New Better Half

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.