Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,106 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki (1052 Views)

I’m Ready To Go To Jail – Saraki / Photos Of Abba Moro Arriving Court Today For Trial / I’m Not Ready For Trial, Says Dasuki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by simtosul: 4:51am On Mar 04, 2016
Accuses FG of denying him access to lawyers
ABUJA— Former National Security Adviser, NSA,
Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd), has restated his desire
to have free access to his lawyers to enable him
defend himself and clear allegations on the
criminal charges of unlawful possession of fire
arms brought against him by the Federal
Government.

Dasuki told the Federal High Court in Abuja that
the Federal Government no longer had moral and
legal rights to continue his trial, having disobeyed
the order of bail granted him since November 3,

According to his counsel, Mr. Joseph Daudu
(SAN), Dasuki premised his prayer on the fact
that the government was in contempt of the court
in relation to the charges filed against him.

Daudu, while arguing the motion, claimed that
since November 3, 2015, when his client was re-
arrested by operatives of the Department of State
Services, DSS, after perfecting the bail conditions,
he had since been held in custody without trial or
reasons made known to him.

The counsel insisted that the order that admitted
Dasuki to bail remained valid, having not been
reviewed or set aside by the court, and, as such,
must be obeyed in the interest of justice.

He claimed that his client could not be lawfully
prosecuted by government because his right to
prepare adequately for his defence, as enshrined
in the bail and the constitution, had been violated,
having been kept away from his lawyers.

The counsel also stated that Section 36 of the
1999 constitution presumed his client innocent
until guilt had been established against him.
He noted that for now, the provision of the law
had been turned upside down by his re-arrest
without trial since last year.

He said: “We must state here that since his re-
arrest at the Kuje Prison after perfecting his bail
condition, we have not been allowed access to
him. We are at the crossroads and only the court
can right the wrong in this matter so that the
defendant will have time and facilities to defend
himself.

“Investors are watching the court and the
situation, especially where government is
choosing to disobey a lawful court. Absolute
power corrupts absolutely, and we must not send
a wrong signal to the outside world that we have
no regard for the rule of law."

He, therefore, urged the court to prohibit the trial
of Dasuki until government did the needful.
However, in his opposition to the application,
counsel to the Federal Government, Mr. Dipo
Okpeseyi (SAN), urged the court not to grant the
application because its purpose was to frustrate
the trial and restrain the power to prosecute a
criminal charge.

Okpeseyi claimed that the bail granted the
defendant did not prohibit his re-arrest in
connection with any other matter.

Okpeseyi also claimed that no material was
placed before the court to show that the
government violated the bail order and that there
was also no evidence that government was
preventing him from defending himself.

Okpeseyi argued that merely looking at Dasuki
was an indication that he looked clean, fresh and
well-catered for in the custody
He, therefore, urged the court to dismiss the
application.

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/im-ready-for-trial-to-clear-my-name-but-dasuki/

Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by ademikefaith(m): 5:00am On Mar 04, 2016
Y don't they forget this man in prison

2 Likes

Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by Amberon11: 5:03am On Mar 04, 2016
rubbish!
everybody say dem no thief but money loss. Na my grandpapa thief am.
greedy old pot bellied demons

2 Likes

Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by tunwumi: 6:07am On Mar 04, 2016
Let it starts now
Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by Raphael81(m): 6:10am On Mar 04, 2016
oga abeg clear ur name, if u stole the money try and return it with interest but walai walahi kwarapshion has no flace in nigeriya, u cannot escape thru a flea bargain, u must face the short arms of the nigeriyan law. Nagode
Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by dammytosh: 6:12am On Mar 04, 2016
Amberon11:
rubbish!

everybody say dem no thief but money loss. Na my grandpapa thief am.

greedy old pot bellied demons

In all fairness, he did not say that he is not a thief.

He only said he was instructed to steal so he should be released. grin
Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by MendeZ(m): 7:00am On Mar 04, 2016
Even if he is a thief, does that give the government the right to disobey court order? Or to re arrest him with charging him to court and denying him access to his lawyers? Why are we so biased? In advanced countries even a murderer is granted bail not to talk of someone who stole. And the court is in a better position to determine that.

5 Likes

Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by blackpanda: 7:06am On Mar 04, 2016
dammytosh:

In all fairness, he did not say that he is not a thief.

He only said he was instructed to steal so he should be released. grin

Na devil push am abi grin
Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by babyfaceafrica: 7:14am On Mar 04, 2016
Yam eater
Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by kulikuli26: 7:20am On Mar 04, 2016
There is so much bias in this case, why will government continually refuse him access to his lawyers? I want Dasuki prosecuted for his offenses, what I find amusing is why the government won't allow the court to do its job. FG must be careful not to bungle this case because of their obsession with dasuki.

2 Likes

Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by Pidggin(f): 7:26am On Mar 04, 2016
Why will FG refuse him access to his lawyers , if the court granted him bail it should be obeyed, between, why the delay in settling this issue in court ?
Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by Tunami(m): 7:27am On Mar 04, 2016
why is efcc and the court delaying this man's case? The court should just decide, if hes guilty he should be sent to jail and if hes not guilty free him lyk terry g.
Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by princemillla(m): 8:25am On Mar 04, 2016
What is delaying FG? They should go ahead with the trial now abi dem Don flaunt law?

1 Like

Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by funlord(m): 8:43am On Mar 04, 2016
grin

Which new lie dis "mai doya" wan manufacture for us again?

"Bureau de change master"!!!
Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by emzila(m): 8:47am On Mar 04, 2016
he doesn't have access to his lawyers yet his counsel speak for him. is he speaking for himself or speaking for dasuki without his consent?
Re: I’m Ready For Trial To Clear My Name, But… – Dasuki by emzila(m): 8:54am On Mar 04, 2016
MendeZ:
Even if he is a thief, does that give the government the right to disobey court order? Or to re arrest him with charging him to court and denying him access to his lawyers? Why are we so biased? In advanced countries even a murderer is granted bail not to talk of someone who stole. And the court is in a better position to determine that.
these people didn't steal from us the way they steal in advance countries so don't expect us to handle their case the way they handle stealing cases in advance countries.
for crying out loud, what is wrong with Nigerian youths? you guys only remember advance countries d moment these theives are cought.
Buhari is talking about intervention found and the Senate instead of talking about how they are going to watch and ensure that the money is not diverted, are talking about removing it entirely from the budget and people like you are happy.
is intervention found not the way of advance countries?

(1) (Reply)

Before you criticize an Eight month APC Government / Exact 1year President Buhari Was Voted In As Nigeria President- Discussion Point / CORRUPTION & WASTAGE: Buhari Vs Jonathan, At A Glance - Bare Facts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.