Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,760 members, 7,817,102 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? (14422 Views)

12 Automobile Companies Under Volkswagen Group / Smart ForTwo Explodes After Owner Accidentally Fills Air Intake With Petrol / Photos Of A Man Washing His Car In A Flooded Rivers Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Kashif(m): 8:51am On Mar 04, 2016
In training, we are told not to use petrol to wash internal mechanical parts - engine, transmission, general drive train. It is advised that kerosene is used instead. In transmission repair, we are told that only ATF, kerosene, or a blend of both can only be used in washing transmission parts. It is good to play by the rules and follow general practice but, in this particular case, is it not overrated?

I have seen mechanics wash parts with petrol without any consequence. I have done so too, and tend to like the effect more, especially when washing metal-only parts. Some say petrol is more abrasive than kerosene; agreed, but will it matter? Will you wash an injector with kerosene?

I am a selective conformer, and will obey strictly, those principles I understand. I have come to question some rules, and this is one of them. I have an open mind towards this, and will like to entertain logical propositions.

Over to the techies with hands-on experience.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by lonelydora: 9:19am On Mar 04, 2016
I'm here to read comment and learn.

At my age and social status, I don't celebrate 1st to comment. I have always said there's nothing special about FTC, but Egbon space bookers, if you want the space please come and collect it.

5 Likes

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by mayor2013: 10:14am On Mar 04, 2016
Kashif:
In training, we are told not to use petrol to wash internal mechanical parts - engine, transmission, general drive train. It is advised that kerosene is used instead. In transmission repair, we are told that only ATF, kerosene, or a blend of both can only be used in washing transmission parts. It is good to play by the rules and follow general practice but, in this particular case, is it not overrated?

I have seen mechanics wash parts with petrol without any consequence. I have done so too, and tend to like the effect more, especially when washing metal-only parts. Some say petrol is more abrasive than kerosene; agreed, but will it matter? Will you wash an injector with kerosene?

I am a selective conformer, and will obey strictly, those principles I understand. I have come to question some rules, and this is one of them. I have an open mind towards this, and will like to entertain logical propositions.

You have spoken well. Petrol is more abrasive than kerosene. Have personally used both and the result was different, petrol being a harsh and volatile substance takes out those sticky oil easily. Also it dries up fast unlike kereosene which is non volatile in nature requires more time to dry up and doesnt clean up the parts well that needs to be cleaned up. Another substitute to this is carb cleaner but the big question goes thus; how many cans of carb cleaner would you use to clean up those sticky oils away? A dozen ? cry

Well as for me I would stick to petrol. Another important thing we should not forget is as at today in Nigeria petrol is much more cheaper than kerosene. As for me I would put into the consideration the nature of the part am to clean up. I wouldn't be using kerosene to clean up noozles. My fuel injection tester and cleaning machine does that. My opinion

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Nobody: 11:34am On Mar 04, 2016
Washing of parts is meant to be done with a soft brush, so i don't see any possibility of damage due to abrasion to any mechanical component.

Also, I don't see any problem with washing mechanical parts with petrol specifically.It provides better cleaning & faster drying rate. The only thing is that the parts should be well dried & lubricated before reinstalling when necessary.

3 Likes

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Mar 04, 2016
I never wash engine or transmission parts with gasoline.

Whilst gasoline is NOT abrasive, it is a solvent, that removes any protective film of oil from components. This can cause components that operate with very tight tolerances to stick in their operating environment - solenoids in transmission valve bodies, piston rings in piston ringlands, camshaft and crankshaft journals in their bearings etc.

I use good old diesel, it cleans components, and also leaves a protective film of oil, kerosine or paraffin are also ideal. Gasoline breaks down oil, and is NOT advised within the automotive industry.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by uboma(m): 1:21pm On Mar 04, 2016
Thank you Siena for the pointers. Henceforth no mechanic will wash any parts of my car with PMS.

4 Likes

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by mayor2013: 2:15pm On Mar 04, 2016
Basically the use of either of the mentioned products( petrol or kerosene) by the "op" should be dependent on the part or the component to be washed.

@ sienna would you use old diesel to wash excess of grease that finds its way out of drive shaft housing as a result of a torn shaft protector splashing all over chassis, oil drop pan, belly housing etc. Diesel is sticky so therefore if in a situation where its used to wash out excess of grease in this case, don't you think the sticky nature would attract lot of sand when the car is being driven therefore making the bottom of the car more messy and uncomfortable for any technician to work on?

2 Likes

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Kashif(m): 3:48pm On Mar 04, 2016
Siena:
I never wash engine or transmission parts with gasoline.

Whilst gasoline is NOT abrasive, it is a solvent, that removes any protective film of oil from components. This can cause components that operate with very tight tolerances to stick in their operating environment - solenoids in transmission valve bodies, piston rings in piston ringlands, camshaft and crankshaft journals in their bearings etc.

I use good old diesel, it cleans components, and also leaves a protective film of oil, kerosine or paraffin are also ideal. Gasoline breaks down oil, and is NOT advised within the automotive industry.

Yes, for lack of better word, gasoline is not abrasive, technically, but harsh, in the sense it does not leave oils.

Petrol is a solvent, and forms part of what should be used to clean off oil. When valves leave the mill, they are as dry as they would have come off a furnace. The coolant used in machining is water-based, and would be completely gotten rid of before assembly. They are coated in assembly lube or atf during assembly, as deemed convenient.

Washing valves with petrol will NOT cause them to stick. The important thing to me is the cleaning, which I have found petrol to do a better job. I am still going to coat those tiny parts with atf or assembly anyways.

I will not get petrol close to any rubber part I intend to reuse, because I have witnessed firsthand, the potential harm. I still do not see the harm in using petrol in selective cleaning.

2 Likes

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Kashif(m): 3:52pm On Mar 04, 2016
mayor2013:

You have spoken well. Petrol is more abrasive than kerosene. Have personally used both and the result was different, petrol being a harsh and volatile substance takes out those sticky oil easily. Also it dries up fast unlike kereosene which is non volatile in nature requires more time to dry up and doesnt clean up the parts well that needs to be cleaned up. Another substitute to this is carb cleaner but the big question goes thus; how many cans of carb cleaner would you use to clean up those sticky oils away? A dozen ? cry

Well as for me I would stick to petrol. Another important thing we should not forget is as at today in Nigeria petrol is much more cheaper than kerosene. As for me I would put into the consideration the nature of the part am to clean up. I wouldn't be using kerosene to clean up noozles. My fuel injection tester and cleaning machine does that. My opinion

An excellent substitute, especially with that super cooling effect it leaves on metals grin. Fun to use but like you have rightly observed, you need to be buying them in cartons!
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Kashif(m): 3:55pm On Mar 04, 2016
uboma:
Thank you Siena for the pointers.
Henceforth no mechanic will wash any parts of my car with PMS.

Then be prepared to be washing them yourself grin grin

But if you insist, and provide some gallons of kerosene, they will oblige.
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by mayor2013: 3:59pm On Mar 04, 2016
Kashif:

grin
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by auhanson(m): 4:28pm On Mar 04, 2016
mayor2013:

Well as for me I would stick to petrol. Another important thing we should not forget is as at today in Nigeria petrol is much more cheaper than kerosene. As for me I would put into the consideration the nature of the part am to clean up. I wouldn't be using kerosene to clean up nozzles. My fuel injection tester and cleaning machine does that. My opinion

Well! nothing is ever straight in life, there are always some gray areas, that's where your brain comes in focus. I for one uses diesel a lots to clean up stuffs because it is a very good cleaning agent and it leaves some brilliant protective lubricants on the items.

But when it comes to nozzles, i uses lacquer thinner, because of the way it breaks the dirts out of the tiniest crevixes
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Kashif(m): 4:38pm On Mar 04, 2016
Contributions have been healthy....
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by uboma(m): 5:36pm On Mar 04, 2016
Kashif:

Sure.
the parts i can wash/clean will be with old diesel/kerosine as suggested by Siena.
and the parts out of my reach, i will provide old diesel/kerosine to my mechanic and insist he uses it on my parts.
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Nobody: 6:23am On Mar 05, 2016
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by MrImole: 6:24am On Mar 05, 2016
I will tell you this but once...
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by kennybabs1980: 6:27am On Mar 05, 2016
I am here to read comments from Siena, Ikenna, Gazzuz and the other gurus, enjoying myself.
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by chukslawrence(m): 6:28am On Mar 05, 2016
SB
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by ziccoit: 6:35am On Mar 05, 2016
Imagine how slow is the contributions to this wonderful topic. Had it been the topic was about Tonto and D'banj wears; the comments would have flown up to 10 pages in no time.

My take, I follow the expert recommendations and hints no matter how weird they might appear. Though, I am not an engineer but a lover of machine in top condition always. My auto technicians know I wouldn't take sh1t.

1 Like

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by muller101(m): 6:40am On Mar 05, 2016
Brake fluid is preferable.
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Mayflowa(m): 6:40am On Mar 05, 2016
mayor2013:

Petrol will do it for nigeria driven car because of the toughness of mud stains. Kerosene is ok in clean road found in developed world. The designer of the course don't know that such a bad road found here could still exist. So they recommended non abrasive cleaner in kerosene

2 Likes

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Estimable(m): 6:40am On Mar 05, 2016
Petrol all the way, any day anytime.....
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by ziccoit: 6:43am On Mar 05, 2016
Mayflowa:

Petrol will do it for nigeria driven car because of the toughness of mud stains. Kerosene is ok in clean road found in developed world. The designer of the course don't know that such a bad road found here could still exist. So they recommended non abrasive cleaner in kerosene

Bros, the cars were tested in toughest of the environments before those machines were rolled out of production line. Your argument about the environment doesn't hold ground.

1 Like

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by STJAM(m): 6:48am On Mar 05, 2016
Do not used any of the petrol or kerosene for watching any spare open or inner part of mechanical movable vehicular / equipment it is dangerous and the risk is extreme high. Considering the hazard, explosion, serious fire ; burn and the effect on human being around.

As per the safety regulations and requirement such equipment can be clean or maintain using chemical agent such as SOLVENTS mainly for rust remover.

Despite using solvent agent you are still required to ensure the solvent is dried up completely before you could start up the engine/machine. The flammable content in solvent is very low compare to petrol or kerosene.

Warning!
Pls avoid using petrol, kerosene to watch any mechanical equipment most expecially movable / vehicle.

For safe work procedure kindly Use solvent agent - rust removal. As per safety standard.

Thank you.
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Nobody: 6:54am On Mar 05, 2016
I have seen mechanics do this all my life.
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by tonyx4x44(m): 6:57am On Mar 05, 2016
this is a case of teacher don't teach me nonsense

Nigerians always taught theory instead of what applies in their environment

1 Like

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Nobody: 7:10am On Mar 05, 2016
I have not been this clueless on a Nairaland thread in a very long time.

I just dey read but I can hardly understand werin I dey read undecided

3 Likes

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by balash(m): 7:17am On Mar 05, 2016
Nyc
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by seaga: 7:26am On Mar 05, 2016
Petrol is still the best cleaning liquid formula
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Nobody: 7:37am On Mar 05, 2016
Washing auto parts with petrol seems better than using kerosene, kerosene is good when washing Diesel engine parts
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Lukandah00001(m): 7:42am On Mar 05, 2016
[ Another important thing we should not forget is as at today in Nigeria petrol is much more cheaper than kerosene.

Say who. Only in black markets. Just that the truth remains that petrol is a better cleaning agent for mechanical part.
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Nobody: 7:46am On Mar 05, 2016
There are some rubber seals in some parts that tends to expand when they have contact with petrol,that's why it's advisable to wash with kerosene or ATF because they are less volatile.
Kashif:

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are The Causes Of Spark Plug Soaked With Oil? / Dangote Truck Kills A Woman In Otukpo, Benue State / Photos Of The Longest Car In The World... Having A Swimming Pool, Helipad & More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.