Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? (14421 Views)

12 Automobile Companies Under Volkswagen Group / Smart ForTwo Explodes After Owner Accidentally Fills Air Intake With Petrol / Photos Of A Man Washing His Car In A Flooded Rivers Road (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Dindondin(m): 7:54am On Mar 05, 2016
Nija automobile repairers are naive. That's what they do
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by instinctg(m): 8:05am On Mar 05, 2016
Siena:
I never wash engine or transmission parts with gasoline.

Whilst gasoline is NOT abrasive, it is a solvent, that removes any protective film of oil from components. This can cause components that operate with very tight tolerances to stick in their operating environment - solenoids in transmission valve bodies, piston rings in piston ringlands, camshaft and crankshaft journals in their bearings etc.

I use good old diesel, it cleans components, and also leaves a protective film of oil, kerosine or paraffin are also ideal. Gasoline breaks down oil, and is NOT advised within the automotive industry.

baba don talk o
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by tolutweety(m): 8:19am On Mar 05, 2016
adeaks:
I have not been this clueless on a Nairaland thread in a very long time.

I just dey read but I can hardly understand werin I dey read undecided

Reason you ve got engineers as friends .They ll do the job,just as you do the job of enlightening us about your legal proceedings too.
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by igwegeorgiano(m): 8:26am On Mar 05, 2016
course georgiano101 in progress
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Kashif(m): 8:28am On Mar 05, 2016
nyben4eva:
There are some rubber seals in some parts that tends to expand when they have contact with petrol,that's why it's advisable to wash with kerosene or ATF because they are less volatile.

You can see I mentioned "metal-only parts". If you work on high precision parts that need absolute cleaning, petrol works better, and faster than kerosene.

1 Like

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by mildteddy(m): 8:59am On Mar 05, 2016
nyben4eva:
There are some rubber seals in some parts that tends to expand when they have contact with petrol,that's why it's advisable to wash with kerosene or ATF because they are less volatile.

In addition to its volatility, petrol has harmful effects to the environment. I believe that this reason is the major factor why people are advised not to use it. Countries with strict environmental laws due not permit their use.
It's evaporates fast releasing its CxHy content to the environment; one of the major environmental pollutants.
This is why Engine designers try as much as possible to reduce the amount of hydrocarbon, as well as other toxic gases emission from their engines to the atmosphere. Washing the parts with that same hydrocarbon defeats the aim.
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by ewizard1: 9:27am On Mar 05, 2016
Thanks to all contributors.

I learnt few things. I have been around Auto Mechanics since i was little and i see ALL of them use PMS in cleaning ANY greasy/oil part needed to be cleaned.

But i personally know petrol is harsh and would render rubber parts weak.

So in my opinion, Petrol for parts without rubber. And Kerosene or Diesel for Rubberized Parts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Kashif(m): 9:31am On Mar 05, 2016
mildteddy:

In addition to its volatility, petrol has harmful effects to the environment. I believe that this reason is the major factor why people are advised not to use it. Countries with strict environmental laws due not permit their use.
It's evaporates fast releasing its CxHy content to the environment; one of the major environmental pollutants.
This is why Engine designers try as much as possible to reduce the amount of hydrocarbon, as well as other toxic gases emission from their engines to the atmosphere. Washing the parts with that same hydrocarbon defeats the aim.

The focus is on direct effect on parts being cleaned, not environment. Thank you.
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Nobody: 10:10am On Mar 05, 2016
ewizard1:
Thanks to all contributors.

I learnt few things. I have been around Auto Mechanics since i was little and i see ALL of them use PMS in cleaning ANY greasy/oil part needed to be cleaned.

But i personally know petrol is harsh and would render rubber parts weak.

So in my opinion, Petrol for parts without rubber. And Kerosene or Diesel for Rubberized Parts.
Your hypothesis has merit.

1 Like

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by DBlackCeazer(m): 10:16am On Mar 05, 2016
Kerosene would disfigure certain plastic parts, so be careful when using it for cleaning purposes.
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Toppytek(m): 10:22am On Mar 05, 2016
Hmmm... Now I see that am still an amateur
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Qpetz: 10:48am On Mar 05, 2016
Lubrication Oil mixed with Cyclohexane
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by sexaddict08(m): 10:53am On Mar 05, 2016
please, someone should help me out. there's no light so I tried to charge my phone with my uncle's van L200. I plugged the phone around 5am, slept off until 8am. I now met the phone at 71% from 0%. when I met it, it was no longer charging. now, power in the car seems to be off. weak... glasses ain't whinni
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by mayor2013: 11:06am On Mar 05, 2016
sexaddict08:
please, someone should help me out.
there's no light so I tried to charge my phone
with my uncle's van L200.
I plugged the phone around 5am, slept off
until 8am. I now met the phone at 71% from
0%. when I met it, it was no longer charging.
now, power in the car seems to be off. weak...
glasses ain't whinni

Check your car battery could be down
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by sexaddict08(m): 11:09am On Mar 05, 2016
mayor2013:

Check your car battery could be down
yes, what do I need to do for it to gain energy again?
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by mayor2013: 11:34am On Mar 05, 2016
sexaddict08:

yes, what do I need to do for it to gain energy again?

Charge it or better still get another car battery
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by badonkadonk: 11:45am On Mar 05, 2016
Kashif:
In training, we are told not to use petrol to wash internal mechanical parts - engine, transmission, general drive train. It is advised that kerosene is used instead. In transmission repair, we are told that only ATF, kerosene, or a blend of both can only be used in washing transmission parts. It is good to play by the rules and follow general practice but, in this particular case, is it not overrated?

I have seen mechanics wash parts with petrol without any consequence. I have done so too, and tend to like the effect more, especially when washing metal-only parts. Some say petrol is more abrasive than kerosene; agreed, but will it matter? Will you wash an injector with kerosene?

I am a selective conformer, and will obey strictly, those principles I understand. I have come to question some rules, and this is one of them. I have an open mind towards this, and will like to entertain logical propositions.

Over to the techies with hands-on experience.

Wallahi.. Na this kind stuffs suppose dey make fp... Not pischures of rubbish things.. This wan do dat that wan do this...

Op! I commend u for bringing such an intellectual thought up..

By the way am just ere to learn...
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by sexaddict08(m): 11:48am On Mar 05, 2016
mayor2013:

Charge it or better still get another car battery
will try it. thanks
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Mar 05, 2016
I don learn something new
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by 19naia(m): 1:51pm On Mar 05, 2016
I worked on my own home made fuel system design and i noticed in my search on various materials and systems, that they refered to non sparking metals in certain parts that would come in contact with aerated fuel vapors. Also plastics or composites were used in as many areas as possible to prevent spark. Plastic fuel kegs are more popular in modern times than metal ones because of spark risk even though metal fuel kegs are tougher with stronger containment abaility.
Many Metals carry charges very well and can discharge those sparks from one peice to another and cross a gap that is filled with aearated fuel vapors. Thats bad. So clanking together several peices of metal in a container of gasoline open to the air, is basically the same recipe used when intending to start a fire.
The risk is reduced by the wet soak of gasoline on the metal parts, because the wet part of gasoline does not catch fire and drowns out sparks, only the surface vapors catch fire if a spark can find a way from the metal through the wet gasoline. Its possible.

In my own fuel system design, i installed my own rubber sealing gaskets and found out that many degarded in the very first day because of exposure to gasoline or gasoline fumes. Some rubber and plastics resist gasolines solvent quality while others degrade in a matter of minutes or hours. Even some special designed rubber fuel hoses can only last around a year carrying fuel before degrading.
So when parts come from an area not designed to handle gasoline, they may have rubber, plastic or synthetic composite parts involved that can degrade in contact with gasoline.
Some metal parts may have a special anti corrosion synthetic film or laquer glazed over the metal and it wont appear to be there because it is a clear coating. The risk of gasoline disolving that and leaving the metal exposed to natural corrosion is there.

Just the risk of spark alone is enough to caution. Metal clanging against metal is not good. Even electrostatic charge between the body and the metal parts is enough to spark. Petrol station modern fuel dispensers use spark preventing metal or static electricity diverters to reduce the risk of spark as the metal fuel nozzle touches the metal rim of the fueling port for the vehicle. And still sometimes sparks happen and sometimes those sparks start fires. Petrol fire is no joke.
Also petrol is medically not safe for the skin to be in contact with, The risk is there with the fumes and skin contact.

1 Like

Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by ican2020: 2:15pm On Mar 05, 2016
Siena:
I never wash engine or transmission parts with gasoline.

Whilst gasoline is NOT abrasive, it is a solvent, that removes any protective film of oil from components. This can cause components that operate with very tight tolerances to stick in their operating environment - solenoids in transmission valve bodies, piston rings in piston ringlands, camshaft and crankshaft journals in their bearings etc.

I use good old diesel, it cleans components, and also leaves a protective film of oil, kerosine or paraffin are also ideal. Gasoline breaks down oil, and is NOT advised within the automotive industry.
Thanks and from now henceforth, I will always have 4 liter of diesel in my car for future use
Re: Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? by Piyke: 3:00pm On Mar 05, 2016
mayor2013:
Basically the use of either of the mentioned products( petrol or kerosene) by the "op" should be dependent on the part or the component to be washed.

@ sienna would you use old diesel to wash excess of grease that finds its way out of drive shaft housing as a result of a torn shaft protector splashing all over chassis, oil drop pan, belly housing etc. Diesel is sticky so therefore if in a situation where its used to wash out excess of grease in this case, don't you think the sticky nature would attract lot of sand when the car is being driven therefore making the bottom of the car more messy and uncomfortable for any technician to work on?

For washing off oil and grease from the chassis and the engine in general I tend to use engine degreaser. Although it can be hard to come by sometimes in Nigeria.
This is off topic though as its not used for engine parts per say.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are The Causes Of Spark Plug Soaked With Oil? / Dangote Truck Kills A Woman In Otukpo, Benue State / Photos Of The Longest Car In The World... Having A Swimming Pool, Helipad & More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.