Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? (17687 Views)

Get Your Vehicle Insurance Done In Minutes / Capless Gas Tank; Who Can Identify The Vehicle / See The Vehicle Made By A Chinese Man Which Even Shocked Policemen (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by magicminister: 11:44am On Mar 04, 2016
Stylz69:

The scam is not carried out by the government. It is private individuals and the VIO involved. I think the VIO get a kick back from every policy sold. In summary...you have a choice. If you want to give your 5000 naira to the VIO, that's fine. I prefer to pay mine to the insurance company directly. Like I said, government is in no way involved in this. Government had no business providing insurance cover. You do not get a government receipt for the insurance cover so leave government out it. You are being scammed by he VIO and private individuals.

the vio is a government organization isn't it?
such high level scam wouldn't fly without a nod from someone high up!
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by bitingcool: 11:46am On Mar 04, 2016
dominique:

He did a comprehensive insurance that's why he got paid. The one the op is talking about is a third-party insurance the government mandates every car owner to get. The money goes directly to the government's pocket and the car owner doesn't benefit from it in anyway. I'm yet to see anyone that has benefited from it.

It doesn't go directly to the government's pocket. It's insurance in case you hit another car. The problem is most people are ignorant of the fact that they can make claims with 3rd party insurance. Last year, a company's vehicle on 3rd Party insurance hit a Range @ Lekki Junction. After much grammar, I persuaded them to take advantage of the 5k 3rd party insurance. The Range was compensated up to about 85k cos d fender and tyre was off.

Without Knowledge, my people perish- Hosea 4:6

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by dhardline(m): 11:46am On Mar 04, 2016
Buy your insurance from registered insurance companies and you can file for a claim when you have an accident.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by anytexy: 11:46am On Mar 04, 2016
dominique:

Then why does FRSC insists on seeing it and they impound your vehicle if you can't produce it? I believe a good part of the money paid is remitted to government purse. I keep wondering what purpose us this fee supposed to server especially when it got quadrupled almost overnight?

I like this topic. Just yesterday I asked this same question to one of my colleagues. But he too does have any cogent reason for it. Why should law enforcement agency ask for it. What is their business whether you insured ur car or not? I think we the citizens need to rise up and fight for our right. This is fraud by gvt and we are fighting corruption.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by isick(m): 11:47am On Mar 04, 2016
wawaboy1:

I paid 5k insurance to ANCHOR insurance during my vehicle papers renewal, So what you are saying is that I should go to ANCHOR insurance and make a claim anytime I have issue with my car.
Sir, you paid for a Third Party Insurance, you can't make a claim, it is the third party involved that will make a claim.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by alt3r3g0: 11:48am On Mar 04, 2016
[quote author=magicminister post=43471727]

if its not mandatory, why do policemen always insist on seeing it?
Saying that "its not mandatory" does not make it any less a scam. An insurance policy that you cannot claim is a scam.
A group of people have become trillionaires off this scam!

A government that scams its own people.
tufiakwa![/squote]

I am wondering if you are trying to learn here or just opening the thread to force your flawed views on other. People have tried to educate you with facts and personal experience but you just keep arguing blindly.

It is not compulsory to buy the 5k insurance. You can take a comprehensive insurance on your car and that will cover you. It now depends on the insurance company you pick to settle your claims. Thats what i use presently and i have not been disturbed. When renewing i just tell them i have a comprehensive insurance and just do the license and road worthiness.

Just to add..taking a third party insurance means that you are not covered. Only the person you hit (third party) is covered. In comprehensive, you are covered.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by rawtouch: 11:48am On Mar 04, 2016
That's 3rd party insurance u can't claim damages if u are at fault but the company fixes whatever u damage, only that in 9ja u go waka tire before that happens

1 Like

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by hexpleecit: 11:48am On Mar 04, 2016
Its not compulsory you buy your 3rd party insurance from the licensing office, I work with an insurance company and we pay claims on 3rd party. This is how it works, if your car has a collision with another car and you are at fault, we will repair the other car and Leave your own for you to fix and its same N5k you use in purchasing it. While comprehensive pays claim om both your car and that of the other person. If you are interested , you can call me on 08085108953. I can come and get ur document and do it for you.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by Dontbeused: 11:49am On Mar 04, 2016
Stylz69:
It is NOT COMPULSORY for you to purchase your insurance from the vehicle licencing office. Fact is the insurance they sell is worthless and the only use is for you to complete your papers. Secondly, they rely on the ignorance of drivers to sell these fake insurance knowing drivers rarely make claims especially on 3rd party policies. When I renew my vehicle particulars, I only pay for the vehicle license. I go online and buy my 3rd party insurance from reputable insurance companies and print off my policy and attach. It is still the same 5000 naira for the 3rd party and I least I have the peace of mind knowing my 3rd party cover is genuine. Dominique, the 5000 does not go to the government; it goes to the crooks selling the worthless policies. How can you claim on a fake policy? Is there even any number to call in the event of an accident or any outlined process for making a claim?
You got d 'ol thing iit!
The fact is that insurance are of different types, it depends on what you want which is the value of what u'll pay. Personally got my registration & license n ad my road worthiness test at Computerized VIO office at Abuja@ Gwarimpa Kubwa expree road and I got a 3rd party insurance with a private company. because I am a Muslim, I don't access it due to my believe, but I still make sure I do the right thing since it's d law of d land...
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by olami26(m): 11:49am On Mar 04, 2016
Firefire:

Scientific way of generating income to the state...
APC and their many fraudulent ways of reaping the masses off.
haaba!!! insurance of a tin no b today ooo...
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by Firefire(m): 11:51am On Mar 04, 2016
olami26:

haaba!!! insurance of a tin no b today ooo...

Lagos VIO are now fully involved in checking motorist for the 5k insurance compliance.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by Nobody: 11:54am On Mar 04, 2016
Some of you guys need to educate yourselves, it's amaxing how ignorant our people are.

Listen carefully:

1)The Law says you must have insurance, the minimum insurance is 3rd party insurance

2) On your own insurance, you are the 1st party, the insurance company is the second party, the person you hit is the 3rd party.

3) 3rd party insurance means only the 3rd party in insured in the case of an accident that is your fault.

4) if the accident is not your fault, then you claim off the insurance of the person who hit you, in which case you are the the 3rd party on his insurance. That is why govt says it is compulsory he has 3rd party insurance.

5) if you want full cover so that your car is fixed even when it is your fault then you have to get comprehensive insurance.

6) the money you pay for insurance doesnt go to the government. All the govt says is that you must have insurance. it doesnt tell you which company you must insure with.

7) most of the 3rd party insurance you buy at licensing office are fake, scams and rely on the fact that most people do not claim on the insurance company of the person who hit them.

MY Advice: never buy insurance from the licensing touts! You might hit someone one day who decides to follow the letter of the law and if your insurance turns out to be fake......

15 Likes

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by dominique(f): 11:55am On Mar 04, 2016
bitingcool:

It doesn't go directly to the government's pocket. It's insurance in case you hit another car. The problem is most people are ignorant of the fact that they can make claims with 3rd party insurance. Last year, a company's vehicle on 3rd Party insurance hit a Range @ Lekki Junction. After much grammar, I persuaded them to take advantage of the 5k 3rd party insurance. The Range was compensated up to about 85k cos d fender and tyre was off.

Without Knowledge, my people perish- Hosea 4:6

Wow, this is the first time I'm hearing that someone actually got paid from that kind of insurance policy. How long did it take for the company to release the money?
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by femi4: 11:55am On Mar 04, 2016
Stylz69:
It is NOT COMPULSORY for you to purchase your insurance from the vehicle licencing office. Fact is the insurance they sell is worthless and the only use is for you to complete your papers. Secondly, they rely on the ignorance of drivers to sell these fake insurance knowing drivers rarely make claims especially on 3rd party policies. When I renew my vehicle particulars, I only pay for the vehicle license. I go online and buy my 3rd party insurance from reputable insurance companies and print off my policy and attach. It is still the same 5000 naira for the 3rd party and I least I have the peace of mind knowing my 3rd party cover is genuine. Dominique, the 5000 does not go to the government; it goes to the crooks selling the worthless policies. How can you claim on a fake policy? Is there even any number to call in the event of an accident or any outlined process for making a claim?
So, you mean we all pay N5000 to crooks?

That you did it yourself doesn't mean that the one done at vio/LGA etc are fake. It followed same online process.

The question is that "Has anybody claimed anything from them?"

1 Like

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by olami26(m): 12:01pm On Mar 04, 2016
Firefire:

Lagos VIO are now fully involved in checking motorist for the 5k insurance compliance.

have been driving in Lagos state for yrs bro, blvd me whenever any law enforcement ( police, vio, frsc ) stop u to check ur car document If ur insurance doc is outdated talkless of not having at all.. u are in soup bro... list u will bribe dem with is 3k...
no b today bro

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by anytexy: 12:01pm On Mar 04, 2016
hexpleecit:
Its not compulsory you buy your 3rd party insurance from the licensing office, I work with an insurance company and we pay claims on 3rd party. This is how it works, if your car has a collision with another car and you are at fault, we will repair the other car and Leave your own for you to fix and its same N5k you use in purchasing it. While comprehensive pays claim om both your car and that of the other person. If you are interested , you can call me on 08085108953. I can come and get ur document and do it for you.
My question is why govt made it compulsory? Is is not suppose to be optional?.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by chyket(m): 12:01pm On Mar 04, 2016
Its a third party insurance and it simply means that when you hit another motorist,your
insurance company is liable to repair the other motorist's vehicle on your behalf.Most Nigerians dont make the claims because their insurance policies are fake or they are ignorant of their rights.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by Stylz69(m): 12:04pm On Mar 04, 2016
dominique:

Then why does FRSC and VIO insist on seeing it and they impound your vehicle if you can't produce it? I believe a good part of the money paid is remitted to government purse. I keep wondering what purpose us this fee supposed to server especially when it got quadrupled almost overnight?
I will attempt to break it down. When you renew your particulars and you pay the lump sum of whatever it is yon pay, 5000 naira is for insurance, about 2000 for licence fee, only God knows ...about 1000 for road worthiness . What I'm saying is that you are well within your right to only pay the licence fee and road worthiness to VIO. This will be remitted to the government and you get a government receipt for these. The insurance can be bought privately and you do not have to pay this to VIO. Even if you pay it to them, it is not meant to be remitted to the government. The truth is that the VIO has no business selling you insurance. If you decide to buy from them...your choice. I hope you understand now.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by Stylz69(m): 12:06pm On Mar 04, 2016
femi4:
So, you mean we all pay N5000 to crooks?

That you did it yourself doesn't mean that the one done at vio/LGA etc are fake. It followed same online process.

The question is that "Has anybody claimed anything from there?"
Put your policy number into the link I posted. Then you'll know if you have a valid policy.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by Willas04: 12:07pm On Mar 04, 2016
Fellow Nigerians, just be wise and try to understand the gist. Third Party vehicle insurance cover is compulsory in many countries of the world including Nigeria. But just as we have scam and fraudsters in every aspect of our life in this country, the third party insurance is besset with fraud perpetuated by those who prepare vehicle papers. They give fake insurance papers that cannot attract any compensation or claims for you when the need arises. They only serve to complete your papers before the uniform personels on the road. If you want a genuine cover, work into an insurance company and purchase one. You don't need to get it from vehicle licensing people. Theirs are fake! Again the money you pay for your insurance does not go to Government and governments have nothing to do with.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Mar 04, 2016
No it doesn't

If you do a genuine third party with an insurance company and follow the procedures

Sure there is claim in third party

A lot of people keep buying the fake one that's why they think there is no claim
dominique:

He did a comprehensive insurance that's why he got paid. The one the op is talking about is a third-party insurance the government mandates every car owner to get. The money goes directly to the government's pocket and the car owner doesn't benefit from it in anyway. I'm yet to see anyone that has benefited from it.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by bolade15: 12:08pm On Mar 04, 2016
It doesn't go to the government it goes back to the company, so if you have a third party accident go & lay your claim with the certificate @ the company.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by bolade15: 12:10pm On Mar 04, 2016
No it doesn't

If you do a genuine third party with an insurance company and follow the procedures

Sure there is claim in third party

A lot of people keep buying the fake one that's why they think there is no claim.

The fake is no longer available nowm
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by michaelolayinka(m): 12:11pm On Mar 04, 2016
Just to extort Nigerians
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by Richy4(m): 12:12pm On Mar 04, 2016
magicminister:

i am not referring to the one handled by private insurance companies.
I am referring to the one that is mandatory for all car owners.
Are we talking the same thing

I guess u were referring to the 3rd party insurance...... every advanced country has that....unfortunately, maybe the Nigerian government did not explain it well for their citizens...on the letters

Let us say u were driving a car and mistakenly hit someone, a passerby for example, that money u have paid as an insurance covers the hospital bill and the ambulance that will take the person to the hospital... but it does not cover the repairs of your car or any other thing... just the hospital bills of that person. this type of insurance was made because accident were bound to happen, just incase u do not have money to pay the bills of that person at that time of the accident... but with that compulsory third party insurance, it has been covered....

I guess Nigeria is matured enough to tell their citizens what the bills and charges they were being levied were for.....

1 Like

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by Akebe83: 12:12pm On Mar 04, 2016
I don't understand English Language, which tribe are you ? these gentle man asking federal government question you are referring the question to Private Insurance company, which school did you attend ? eg Block school or plank school, day light school or mild night school, government school or private school.
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by Untainted007: 12:17pm On Mar 04, 2016
dominique:

I have seen someone who have benefitted from the said 'third party insurance'. A genuine third party insurance is meant to take care of any third party involve in an accident (The car you accidentally hit). When a truck accidentally hit my vehicle from rear in about 18months ago. I have a comprehensive insurance and the truck''s company had a third party. My insurance made me to know that a third party insurance covers a damage that does not exceed N1milion and that if its more than that its the driver of the said vehicle that will add the additional expenses. When the driver who hit my car was panicking about the cost of repairing my car (Hyundai, due to thee high rate of spare parts). It's was the truck insurance firm that made payment for my car (N521,500). A third party does not cover damage on your car but on the car you hit (third party). You are expected to take care of your own car yourself, except its comprehensive, while they (insurance) will repair the person's car you accidentally hit. Although road sides third party insurance is more than the genuine ones, and that why it will always look as if insurance firms don't make payments for third party claims, they do. People prefer going to road side and get it in time since its one of the avenues police use in extorting motorist. When you do the right thing, you will get the right result, but when you do the wrong thing, you get the wrong result, vice versa.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by demarc001: 12:19pm On Mar 04, 2016
Firefire:

Scientific way of generating income to the state...
APC and their many fraudulent ways of reaping the masses off.
This has nothing to do with APC,its been in place for long
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by femi4: 12:22pm On Mar 04, 2016
Stylz69:

Put your policy number into the link I posted. Then you'll know if you have a valid policy.
I just checked and its genuine. So, don't be in a hurry to call Insurance done in Vio office fake. The money still go to the Insurance company.

What they make use of is scratch card.
If you registered for Jamb using scratch card at a cybercafe, does that make your registration invalid because it wasn't done in Jamb office
Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by Kay17: 12:26pm On Mar 04, 2016
There can be mandatory car insurance but no mandatory health insurance.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? by otokx(m): 12:28pm On Mar 04, 2016
Official extortion creating free money for insurance companies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mitsubishi Is Changing The Way Cars Give Signals / Tips For Sharing The Road With Large Trucks To Avoid Accidents!! / Capacity Of Nigerian Car Manufacturing Industry Rises By 50%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.