Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,163 members, 7,860,170 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:15 AM

Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here - Culture (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here (67210 Views)

Man Puts Python In His Mouth In Osun State (Photos) / Ogun State Indigenes (omo Olumo) Identify Here / Esan People Identify Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by oyinda3(f): 8:45pm On Jul 28, 2009
bluespice r u from ibadan? how do u know all these stuff tongue
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 28, 2009
oyinda.:

anyone knows how ibadan became famous for those rusty "pan" roofs? i visited ibadan once when i was younger for a party and the view from a small hill or elevated road was spectacular. lol it's very cool actually but why don't these ppl replace their roofs? undecided
and how come only ibadan has those?

I think it became famous because of Soyinka's or JP Clark's poem- one of them wrote about it. Could also be the other way round though- maybe the roofs were well known before the poem.

The tin roofs (or corrugated iron roofs) are brown due to the effects of weathering. They're initially a bright shiny silver color  but get rusted with time. Used to be a status symbol in the old days, I was told. grin If you had one of those roofs, it showed you'd "arrived". cheesy

And its not only Ibadan- Abeokuta and most other major towns also have them. Ibadan has a lot of hills and valleys, I heard, so the roofs would be more visible from higher elevations.

People dont replace the roofs because they either cant afford to or dont consider it a priority. sad
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 28, 2009
Yoruba history is too deep to be put on a some google pages --- everyone knows that. There are so many of these things that you have to listen to them from the source; old men and women, monarchs, chiefs etc., before you know them and those things can never be put on google pages, my dear. Does google have an information on how Oranmiyan's staff ended being in Moopa in Ile-Ife?

nice copyright there.

am sure the information is in one of those old books.

This Oduduwa stuff- I'm starting to wonder if he didnt have something to do with reclaiming Lagos from Benin.

In that case, the Portuguese or Araboids were probably involved.

just conjecture though.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Busybody2(f): 10:49pm On Jul 28, 2009
FL Gators:

Oh, and here I thought you would have formulated your own biased opinion about the "enemity", like you did on other issues pertaining to Ekiti, on the previous pages of this thread embarassed embarassed

Anyways, I wouldn't know about any friction between those two states.  Ekitis I lived close to didn't/don't hate on anyone but the "akatas" grin grin   

See as this girl dey lie ojukoroju lies against me shocked Me that I was the peacemaker and was holding amosexy back cry did I not show you where she scratched me in the process tongue

Plenty enimimity emininity eniminity abeg plenty friction dey between those factions cheesy

Why una dey hate on the akatas, dem collect ya husbands cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by amosexy: 11:45pm On Jul 28, 2009
Where are the true omo odu-du-wa nt the diluted ones oooo? grin grin grin

@ Busybody

U r a peacemaker for real and that is becos u r from Ife abi ? peacemaker ko peacemaker ni  grin ,I will send modakeke ppl come ur house nao  grin grin grin

Who is goin to tell me abt susanne wenger nao ?
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by amosexy: 11:54pm On Jul 28, 2009
oyinda.:

anyone knows how ibadan became famous for those rusty "pan" roofs? i visited ibadan once when i was younger for a party and the view from a small hill or elevated road was spectacular. lol it's very cool actually but why don't these ppl replace their roofs? undecided
and how come only ibadan has those?

Nt only the bolded but how come dey alwaz have Ile-alaja-meta abi meji ?
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 12:23am On Jul 29, 2009
Busy_body:

See as this girl dey lie ojukoroju lies against me shocked Me that I was the peacemaker and was holding amosexy back cry did I not show you where she scratched me in the process tongue

Plenty enimimity emininity eniminity abeg plenty friction dey between those factions cheesy

Why una dey hate on the akatas, dem collect ya husbands cheesy grin cheesy

Dem say Wikipedia is for everyone. See as hobo don dey change the meaning of peaceful on wikipedia, na him give you mouth to dey yarn.

Peaceful ko, horrible ni

grin grin grin
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Remii(m): 12:28am On Jul 29, 2009
amosexy:

Who is goin to tell me abt susanne wenger nao ?

Susan, or Adunni olorisa was from Austria she came to Osogbo, I think in the 40s to study and worship osun , what esle would you like to know about her.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 1:26am On Jul 29, 2009
what's her connection to Ulli Beiar the artist.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Remii(m): 1:34am On Jul 29, 2009
Ulli brought her to Nigeria, then she got intrested and stayed back since then till her death, burried some where ate Osogbo. She made most of the artistic monuments at the shrine.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 1:49am On Jul 29, 2009
Who are all these people?
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Remii(m): 1:56am On Jul 29, 2009
ibkaye:

Who are all these people?

Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 1:56am On Jul 29, 2009
That you are mentioning, Ulli etc
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Remii(m): 2:04am On Jul 29, 2009
Susan Wenger was a white lady who came from Austria to Osogbo Osun State long time ago, she lived and worship Osun deity till her death at age of 94 few years ago. She adopted the name Adunni and people call her Olorisa, that is deity worshiper. Ulli was an artist that introduced her to African culture.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 2:05am On Jul 29, 2009
Ok thankyou
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Remii(m): 2:08am On Jul 29, 2009
You are welcome
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by dayokanu(m): 9:04am On Jul 29, 2009
I have actually gone for the Osun festival several times and went to the coven self. where the festivities are.
Women bath in the river when they are looking for children, They place sacrifice by the river

Seen the Arugba, Ifayemi Elebuibon witnessed Ale Oloju Merindinlogun(Night of 16 lamps) , Iwo Popo and the Osun Festival proper. Its nice I must say. The last one I went for was in 1994

Susan Wenger and Ulli Beier are White (Germans) who came to oshogbo and lived for a long time
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by TheSeeker(m): 11:29am On Jul 29, 2009
And Susan Wenger's residence was just a few meters down the OJA OBA market & the ATAOJA palace.
The ARUGBA for Osun Festivals are always VIRGINS. They aren't allowed to get married or have any kind of relationship with a man or woman until they have completed their vows. However, this could be for several years. They are also chosen from certain families; but they always get whatever they want.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by dayokanu(m): 1:57pm On Jul 29, 2009
I knew they changed Arugbas in 1992 or 1993 when the old one was getting married
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by IFELEKE(m): 2:25pm On Jul 29, 2009
yeah they have a fairly new arugba now and yes they are chosen from a certain family(quaters) in osogbo.
They are closely guarded to vent off any promiscuity on their part.
Remii:

Susan Wenger was a white lady who came from Austria to Osogbo Osun State long time ago, she lived and worship Osun deity till her death at age of 94 few years ago. She adopted the name Adunni and people call her Olorisa, that is deity worshiper. Ulli was an artist that introduced her to African culture.
Adunni Olorisa contributed in very immense proportion to the international recognition(UNESCO) of The Osun Osogbo Festival,Her creativity was also exemplified in art works that adone the Osun Groove.
She was a blessing to the Osun people and that was why her wish of being buried beside the Osun River was carried out (which had been a taboo before.)
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 29, 2009
does anyone know the meaning of most of the major place names in lagos?

eg Okokomaiko, Ikorodu, Mushin, Ikeja, Agege, Ifako, Isolo, etc.

Ajegunle, Ijesatedo and Surulere arent that difficult to decipher but some of the other names are.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by bluespice(f): 10:07pm On Jul 29, 2009
tpia, i think the egun's should know
them badagry folks
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 12:20am On Jul 30, 2009
bluespice:

tpia, i think the egun's should know
them badagry folks

the words are Egun, you mean?
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by bluespice(f): 1:44am On Jul 30, 2009
they might be is all im saying
they are not yoruba that's being certified
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 1:50am On Jul 30, 2009
bluespice:

I'm not sure they're not Yoruba- it just seems strange that the words cant be deciphered easily.

Ajayi, Ojo and Aina also dont seem to have a meaning, like some other "conk" Yoruba names.

Taiwo and Kehinde, for example, are easy to guess. Not so for Idowu, Alaba and Idogbe.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by oyinda3(f): 1:56am On Jul 30, 2009
ha Aina. that's one of my namessss tongue my mom told me it's given to ppl with umbilical cords on their neck
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 2:13am On Jul 30, 2009
oyinda.:

ha Aina. that's one of my namessss tongue my mom told me it's given to ppl with umbilical cords on their neck

true. cheesy It doesnt have a meaning though, imo.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Remii(m): 8:28am On Jul 30, 2009
Taiye is the first of the twins and Kehinde is the last (Kehinde is regarded as the senior saying he sent Taiye to check out things out first) Idowu is child after the twins, Alaba follows Idowu, Idogbe follows Alaba and Idaha follows Idogbe
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Naturez(m): 12:24pm On Jul 30, 2009
Remii:

Taiye is the first of the twins and Kehinde is the last (Kehinde is regarded as the senior saying he sent Taiye to check out things out first) Idowu is child after the twins, Alaba follows Idowu, Idogbe follows Alaba and Idaha follows Idogbe

Beautiful analysis grin
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Naturez(m): 12:36pm On Jul 30, 2009
bluespice:

They are yorubas,it just that their ascent is differ
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by amosexy: 3:01pm On Jul 30, 2009
@ Remii

I've heard Idown & Alaba but I've nt heard Idaha and Idogbe
So plz wat is the meaning of Idaha & Idogbe ?
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 30, 2009
Remii

Idowu, Alaba and Idogbe dont have any direct meaning per se, imo.

They're just names applied by virtue of birth order.

amosexy:

@ Remii

I've heard Idown & Alaba but I've nt heard Idaha and Idogbe
So plz wat is the meaning of Idaha & Idogbe ?

what's Idaha?

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (59) (Reply)

Why Akatas Treated Better Than Africans Abroad? / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / First Appearance Of Ooni Of Ife And His New Wife Olori Naomi As She Minister(vid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.