Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,121 members, 7,860,051 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:00 AM

Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here - Culture (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here (67205 Views)

Man Puts Python In His Mouth In Osun State (Photos) / Ogun State Indigenes (omo Olumo) Identify Here / Esan People Identify Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 5:27am On Jul 31, 2009
the thread na for females only now?

Its a wrap then.

thanks for all your contributions.

cant remember what the styles are called since I havent woven my hair in ages.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by oyinda3(f): 5:29am On Jul 31, 2009
lol u no be female?  tongue

ha me neither o. i forgot all the styles
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 5:46am On Jul 31, 2009
all this suku, congo and whatnot. Pictures will jog people's memories nah wink

I think suku is supposed to be always worn by the oloris in palaces though some of them have modernized now and only perm.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Naturez(m): 9:21am On Jul 31, 2009
Some images from Osun for Y'all

Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Naturez(m): 9:36am On Jul 31, 2009
More,

Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by IFELEKE(m): 10:31am On Jul 31, 2009
FL Gators:

Ehrrm, I beg to differ. Morenike means " I have someone to care for". It doesn't necessarily signify that the name bearer is the mother's favorite.
Yeah it means that which you stated but it also clearly shows the mother's favourite that's  why it's normally given to sole female in the family(my views are based on what i observed overtime down here)

tpia
There is no relationship between ojo and kodjo infact they are pronounced differently ojo(do-mi) kodjo(re-mi) and[b] ajayi[/b] was actually pronounced and spelt AJARI   before civilization/missionaries came and muddled everything up.
As for Adjai, it was the most convenient way of spelling and pronouncing Ajari/Ajayi by the missionaries and it became popular with Bishop Samuel Adjai Crowther.
They couldn't spell or pronounce his name(Ajayi) so they had to write down what was convenient for them while he was been sold into slavery to  Mr. Crowther.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by dayokanu(m): 5:49pm On Jul 31, 2009
All those names are Oruko Amutorunwa.

If you are born with some xteristics then you have names assigned to you

Ige - Igeladubi

Ojo- Ojo Olukuloye

Aina- Aina Orosun

Taiye and Kehinde - Ejire ara Isokun
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jul 31, 2009
Oh yea, I rem the suku and patewo cheesy
I think the police cap is the style that goes all back, with some sections going to the side.

@naturz
Na pics of ekiti we want, ok. So ko ra e so un grin grin
Jokes, nice pix though
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Remii(m): 8:58pm On Jul 31, 2009
tpia.:

grin

they dont actually mean anything. They're just applied at birth based on the child's presentation.

another one: Oni which is given to a baby still wrapped in the placental sack or what do they call the covering.

@tpia, names both of persons and objects do not necessarily have meaning, that is the part of essence of dictionary,  for example what is the meaning of water, table , road, car, I mean how do they relate to their meaning if you do not speak English. Some names are derived from action or sound they make like what linguists call onomatopoeia while others are descriptive, So names like Ojo, Ajayi, Ige, Oke, etc may not have comprehensible meaning but those who give then know who to give when they are born.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by oyinda3(f): 1:42am On Aug 01, 2009
Remii:

@tpia, names both of persons and objects do not necessarily have meaning, that is the part of essence of dictionary, for example what is the meaning of water, table , road, car, I mean how do they relate to their meaning if you do not speak English. Some names are derived from action or sound they make like what linguists call onomatopoeia while others are descriptive, So names like Ojo, Ajayi, Ige, Oke, etc may not have compressible meaning but those who give then know who to give when they are born.

ha that makes so much sense actually. lolol

i mean yea adenike can be broken down to ade-n-ike
but really what does ade mean? what does ike mean? lol
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by amosexy: 2:04am On Aug 01, 2009
FL Gators:

Oh yea, I rem the suku and patewo cheesy
I think the police cap is the style that goes all back, with some sections going to the side.

@naturz
Na pics of ekiti we want, ok. So ko ra e so un grin grin
Jokes, nice pix though

Pix of Ekiti for inside Osun ? Ekiti ko Ekiti ni, na map of Ekiti u go seee
If i say come marry my brothers nao,u go vex but u want Ekiti pix here
Osan tori gbajumo OSUN tio wo,Eyie oju oran lasan lasan ni o fe je grin grin grin grin grin grin

oyinda.:

ha that makes so much sense actually. lolol

i mean yea adenike can be broken down to ade-n-ike
but really what does ade mean? what does ike mean? lol

Ade~ Crown
Ike~Care
Ade-n-ike ~ Crown cares undecided
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 5:03am On Aug 01, 2009
amosexy:

Pix of Ekiti for inside Osun ? Ekiti ko Ekiti ni, na map of Ekiti u go seee
If i say come marry my brothers nao,u go vex but u want Ekiti pix here
Osan tori gbajumo OSUN tio wo,Eyie oju oran lasan lasan ni o fe je grin grin grin grin grin grin
ah ahn, se mo fun e ni permission lati soro ni?

Oya, bo sinu kitcheni, lo se obe efo pelu ponmo ati iyan fun mi.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by TheSeeker(m): 11:46am On Aug 01, 2009
Wow! I missed 4 pages. Anyways, how's y'all doing?

@Amosexy, how's you? Hope you're hearing from Modakeke Gbongan?

@FL Gators, I not been seeing you on Y!. How's 352 treating ya?

@Bluespice,[/b]where you been?

@[b]IFeleke,
thanks for the contribution, you're wonderful.

@Dayo, what's up homie? 

@Tpia, I see you're observations, you're doing OK. How're you?

@Remii, as always, you've impressed me with your answers. What's going on?

@Naturez, whadddup homie?

Does anyone know "ATE"? It's a food specially prepared for new mothers in a family. I learned some families cook lizards with theirs. Also, the new mothers aren't supposed to know what this food is prepared with -- nor the contents. It's a general family thingy, but I'm not sure if they still practice it widely as before.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 7:18pm On Aug 01, 2009
never heard of Ate.

The only special food I know which is given to new mothers, is some kind of pepper soup, to "warm their insides"
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 01, 2009
Remii:

@tpia, names both of persons and objects do not necessarily have meaning, that is the part of essence of dictionary, for example what is the meaning of water, table , road, car, I mean how do they relate to their meaning if you do not speak English. Some names are derived from action or sound they make like what linguists call onomatopoeia while others are descriptive, So names like Ojo, Ajayi, Ige, Oke, etc may not have comprehensible meaning but those who give then know who to give when they are born.

true.

I wasnt named Oke, for example. But I was told I'm an "Oke".

btw I'm reading a book about early Abeokuta and it seems Aina used to be a male name as well.

Along the line I guess it became exclusively female.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by TheSeeker(m): 7:35pm On Aug 01, 2009
tpia.:

true.

btw I'm reading a book about early Abeokuta and it seems Aina used to be a male name as well.

Yes, Aina was used for both gender back then, it gradually waned and was only appended to females. But, I used to know a man, his name was Ojo Aina.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by oyinda3(f): 7:53pm On Aug 01, 2009
tpia.:

true.

my yoruba teacher from back in the days told us that aina could be for both male n female depending on where ur from. some towns use it more than others. i'm pretty sure she told us that but it's been so long ago n memory prolly is failing me
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by TheSeeker(m): 7:57pm On Aug 01, 2009
oyinda.:

my yoruba teacher from back in the days told us that aina could be for both male n female depending on where ur from. some towns use it more than others. i'm pretty sure she told us that but it's been so long ago n memory prolly is failing me
Yes, you're damned right and your memory ain't failing ya.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Remii(m): 8:31pm On Aug 01, 2009
@tpia, yes, giving traditional names depends on the family and sometimes religious awareness, I have an aunt who never had single child, she either had twins or triplets, so all the Idowus and Alabas are Taiye and Kehindes on their own. On another hand, Muslims shave new born head hair before naming on the 7th or 8th day as the case maybe so if a Dada is born they may not name him or allow hair to grow like others who believe strongly in traditional names.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 01, 2009
@TheSeeker
All those names you just mentiond (Oke, Ige, Aina, Ajayi, Ojo, etc) are last names of most Ekiti people.
Any explanation for hat? undecided

TheSeeker:

@FL Gators, I not been seeing you on Y!. How's 352 treating ya?

Does anyone know "ATE"? It's a food specially prepared for new mothers in a family. I learned some families cook lizards with theirs. Also, the new mothers aren't supposed to know what this food is prepared with -- nor the contents. It's a general family thingy, but I'm not sure if they still practice it widely as before.[/color]
Hey, 352 is treating me nicely, you?

Ate? Never heard of it.
Do you know about th whole traditional thing with the husband/wife's mother spending a few weeks with the new mother and bathing the new baby?
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by TheSeeker(m): 9:02pm On Aug 01, 2009
FL Gators:

@TheSeeker
All those names you just mentiond (Oke, Ige, Aina, Ajayi, Ojo, etc) are last names of most Ekiti people.
Any explanation for hat? undecided
Hey, 352 is treating me nicely, you?

Ate? Never heard of it.
Do you know about th whole traditional thing with the husband/wife's mother spending a few weeks with the new mother and bathing the new baby?
All those names are attributed to those who have circumstantial birth. I think the questions about the names had been correctly and adequately answered on the previous two pages. So I guess there are more people who have this birth qualities in Ekiti.

As for the mother/mother-in-law visiting a new mother, I think that's common in the South. I don't know if such exists in the North. In some parts of Yoruba land, the wife's mother is allowed to come to take care of the new mom --- it's believed she'll know how to take care of her daughter more and the closeness between the two will help the new mom a lot. However, in very rare cases, the hubby's mom comes. Most people don't approve the latter because it's a wide belief that they might see faults with the wife; which is so many times absolutely unnecessary.

The same applies to south-southerners and the south-easterners. The Igbos will call it "Omugwu". It's a common phenomenon in the South though
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 9:06pm On Aug 01, 2009
TheSeeker:

All those names are attributed to those who have circumstantial birth. I think the questions about the names had been correctly and adequately answered on the previous two pages. So I guess there are more people who have this birth qualities in Ekiti.

Negative. They're last names, not first names. They're automatically inherited.

What I want to know is, why majority of them have have those last names? The history behind it.

TheSeeker:

As for the mother/mother-in-law visiting a new mother, I think that's common in the South. I don't know if such exists in the North. In some parts of Yoruba land, the wife's mother is allowed to come to take care of the new mom --- it's believed she'll know how to take care of her daughter more and the closeness between the two will help the new mom a lot. However, in very rare cases, the hubby's mom comes. Most people don't approve the latter because it's a wide belief that they might see faults with the wife; which is so many times absolutely unnecessary.

The same applies to south-southerners and the south-easterners. The Igbos will call it "Omugwu". It's a common phenomenon in the South though

Husband's mother? Wouldn't a woman rather want he rmother to be there for her?
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 9:17pm On Aug 01, 2009
I only found out about one twin thing last week in yoruba land, where the first baby out of the twins to exit is not considered the first born, but rather the last as the second one to come out is the 'eldest' sending it's younger one to 'taste' the world first and report back, intriguing grin
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by oyinda3(f): 9:18pm On Aug 01, 2009
@ gators it's not rare for a first name to become a last name. but the reason behind using it as a last name i don't know
u will notice that most male names can also be used as a last name.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by TheSeeker(m): 9:21pm On Aug 01, 2009
FL Gators:

Negative. They're last names, not first names. They're automatically inherited.

What I want to know is, why majority of them have  have those last names? The history behind it.
Husband's mother? Wouldn't a woman rather want he rmother to be there for her?
Well, just as you said, they are last names. The names were given to those with such circumstantial births. Till today, the names are still given to these kinds of children. You don't just give birth to a child and name them, Aina, Ojo, Taye, Kehinde, etc. There has to be a genuine natural reason.

So if they have them as last names, it's very sure that the names were given to those people. There's no special history about the names other than those earlier explanations.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 01, 2009
Hmm, okay. So, how was your day?
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by TheSeeker(m): 9:38pm On Aug 01, 2009
FL Gators:

Hmm, okay. So, how was your day?
My day's been good. I'm just a lil' tired and somewhat sleepy, but I'm ok. What about you? How's your weekend been? Not seen you in YIM lately, hope you're ok? IM me when you've got a chance.
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by oyinda3(f): 9:58pm On Aug 01, 2009
hmmm. . .  cheesy
so about ur jewel seeker?
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by TheSeeker(m): 10:07pm On Aug 01, 2009
oyinda.:

hmmm. . .  cheesy
so about ur jewel seeker?
Yes, what about my jewel? Anything you wanna know?
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by oyinda3(f): 10:09pm On Aug 01, 2009
nothin o.i can already see it sef the jewel is blinding my eyes grin
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 01, 2009
I'm okay, the jewel of my eyes grin
Been busy, trying to catch some fun ni o jere, before my 12th husband gets back from work.
My weekends been. . . .aiight wink
Re: Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here by TheSeeker(m): 10:19pm On Aug 01, 2009
FL Gators:

I'm okay, the jewel of my eyes grin
Been busy, trying to catch some fun ni o jere, before my 12th husband gets back from work.
My weekends been. . . .aiight wink
Really? 12th husband? I was considering but now I'm put off, sorry sweetheart -- don't like competition. When you're a lone ranger, let me know
oyinda.:

nothin o.i can already see it sef the jewel is blinding my eyes  grin
grin What do you see? How do you see? Describe what you've seen?

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (59) (Reply)

Why Akatas Treated Better Than Africans Abroad? / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / First Appearance Of Ooni Of Ife And His New Wife Olori Naomi As She Minister(vid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.