Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,908 members, 7,835,030 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family (2304 Views)

My Mother Is Destroying Our Home With Her Dressing Code.( Pics) / This Family’s 10 Years Wedding Anniversary Photos Are Going Viral / My brother is driving me nut - How Should I Handle This Family Issue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by aribisala0(m): 4:35pm On Mar 04, 2016
This story is part true and part fiction. Fictional part is mainly to disguise identity
Mr A is now dead
A was from Eastern Nigeria a Catholic Christian and married B from the West a Pentecostal. He worked for a courier company in Lagos for 15 years before he died by road traffic accident whilst riding his work motorbike.
After joining the company his father was detailed as NEXT OF KIN. His company takes out life insurance for their staff at all levels.

He got married 8 years ago and his wife was 15 years his junior. About 3 moths before he died he changed his next of kin to his wife as well as beneficiary of Life Insurance Policy as well to his wife.

They have 3 boys aged 8 5 and 2 years.

After he died There were two sets of payments to be made. His benefits directly from the company and also the life insurance payment which is paid by the Insurer after authorization from the company. The company benefit was 6 month salary + some work based contribution and compassionate payment amounting to 1 . 3 million Naira in total . This payment was to be made in two tranches.

The company went through its records and identified father as next of kin and wrote to him. He was paid 650000 and was told the next payment would be in 12 months . The company usually offer counselling service when such payments are made . He declined counselling and also did not inform any member of his family or the wife of the deceased

The wife lived with her children in rented accommodation . Directly opposite where they live.The deceased bought a piece of land where he laid the foundation for a set of two bungalows.
The wife started to have financial difficulties and also the father in law turned up asking about the land.The woman was under much pressure and started seeking support from her church.She became close to her pastor..............
Re: Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by Chidoks(f): 4:44pm On Mar 04, 2016
Wey you na? Come and complete this story o.
Re: Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by aribisala0(m): 4:51pm On Mar 04, 2016
Some of her husband colleagues came to visit once and found them in a pitiable condition.Offered a little money and somehow the matter came up in conversation at work that the company was a bad company and this is how it would be if it was them etc. These grumbling came to attention of HR they discovered that they had made a mistake and invited the family for a meeting.

They explained to the father in law that he was no longer next of kin and the son had changed this before he died. He suspected foul play and became very belligerent and threatening to the daughter in law saying she had killed her son and was now plotting with the company to displace him. His family supported him though privately were angry that he had kept them in the dark about the 650 k he collected.

The company got a lawyer and convened another meeting where they made it clear unequivocally that the money would be paid to the wife. She attended this meeting with her pastor for support . Her own parents are illiterate and could not offer much support.

Eventually a cheque was given to her in her husband's surname which she also bears before they left the building the father inlaw approached her and demanded that she hand over the cheque and out of fear she complied . The pastor went back and informed the company which stopped the cheque from being paid but did not issue another one.

Shortly after she got one of her distant aunts involved, a retired principal. They held another meeting and finally it was agreed that she would keep half of the money and give the other half to father in law

All this while there was not yet any mention of the Life Insurance payment.

The family collected the money from her and disappeared for over 1 year. Not even a single visit to inquire about the 3 boys.
Then the formalities were completed and the life insurance money was ready. The company wrote to invite her

1 Like

Re: Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by Nobody: 4:52pm On Mar 04, 2016
Chidoks:
Wey you na? Come and complete this story o.
Waiting for part 3? grin
Re: Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by Chidoks(f): 4:57pm On Mar 04, 2016
brandnew3:

Waiting for part 2. grin
No be small thing o
Abeg make the guy come finish am o before I resume duties in my home office ( kitchen)
Re: Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by Amplitron: 10:57am On Mar 05, 2016
This is a common problem in our society.
I know most people don't like thinking about death but people who live in less dangerous countries than Nigeria write their wills just in case something happens.
The man should have self written his will (with or without a lawyer) and keep a copy securely on https://www.ProxyWill.com to guarantee automated delivery if it is ever needed by your loved ones.

https://www.ProxyWill.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wills_Act_1837
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_and_testament#Requirements_for_creation

But I'm waiting for part 3 too ooo.

1 Like

Re: Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by darmilolah(m): 11:09am On Mar 05, 2016
Amplitron:
This is a common problem in our society.
I know most people don't like thinking about death but people who live in less dangerous countries than Nigeria write their wills just in case something happens.
The man should have self written his will (with or without a lawyer) and keep a copy securely on https://www.ProxyWill.com to guarantee automated delivery if it is ever needed by your loved ones.

https://www.ProxyWill.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wills_Act_1837
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_and_testament#Requirements_for_creation

But I'm waiting for part 3 too ooo.

My question is.. Who will notify proxywill incase of death.
Re: Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by Chidoks(f): 11:24am On Mar 05, 2016
What sort of laxity is this?The company is responsible for the whole confusion. When a staff updates/reviews his basic information weren't they supposed to have noted and documented it? Didn't they check the records properly before calling on the father in-law?
Granted, the father-in-law is very selfish and wicked but the company fueled his greed by calling him in the first place. Every greedy person will still think the way he thought.

3 Likes

Re: Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by Amplitron: 2:36pm On Mar 12, 2016
darmilolah:

My question is.. Who will notify proxywill incase of death.
ProxyWill has a smart algorithm that works according to the way you personalize it to determine that. It is called "Conditions for Release"

See the question is answered on the FAQ page

https://proxywill.com/?faq

Q- How can you know when I am dead?
A - Your personalised ProxyWill settings automatically determine it. This is called "Conditions for Release". See an example below of how someone personalised his Conditions for release:

Dear ProxyWill,
My Current Conditions for release of Information in my ProxyWill:
If I have not logged on to my ProxyWill account for over 30 days (absence period), please wait for 7 days (waiting period) during which you should send a notice to my email (someone@example.com) reminding me to log in to my ProxyWill account (@myproxywillaccount). If AFTER the 7 days waiting period, I still have not logged in, please contact my Verifiers to find out about me.
You (ProxyWill) are authorised to release my For Multiple Recipient Information and my For Single Recipient messages (digital records) to my Recipients if after 5 days (verification period), my verifier EITHER did not RESPOND to your inquiry about me or they CONFIRMED by email or otherwise that I am deceased or incapacitated.
Re: Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by aribisala0(m): 5:24pm On Mar 15, 2016
The determination by the company and their advisers was that the Insurance payment was to be made to the widow. The total money to be paid to the family in full and final settlement was 6 million naira. She was invited for another meeting with the company and by this time almost 18 months had passed. Things had been quite rough for her and her family.She now sold ogogoro (paraga) which caused a split with her pastor.Somehow the pastor heard about the meeting and reappeared on the scene( Holy Spirit tins) but the husband's family were completely in the dark. She had a counselling meeting with the company where she hinted she would use the money to expand her paraga business which caused a bit of alarm with the company officials. Her distant relative suggested that the company make the payment in installments but this was refused. The company wanted to wash their hands of the matter once and for all
Re: Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by diportivo: 11:39pm On Mar 15, 2016
Okada,drop me here cool

*sips kunu*

Op,kontunu
Re: Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by mamawin(f): 1:02am On Mar 16, 2016
aribisala0:
The determination by the company and their advisers was that the Insurance payment was to be made to the widow. The total money to be paid to the family in full and final settlement was 6 million naira. She was invited for another meeting with the company and by this time almost 18 months had passed. Things had been quite rough for her and her family.She now sold ogogoro (paraga) which caused a split with her pastor.Somehow the pastor heard about the meeting and reappeared on the scene( Holy Spirit tins) but the husband's family were completely in the dark. She had a counselling meeting with the company where she hinted she would use the money to expand her paraga business which caused a bit of alarm with the company officials. Her distant relative suggested that the company make the payment in installments but this was refused. The company wanted to wash their hands of the matter once and for all
it's only God that can settle ds matter o. how can d man made dat mistake? father in law self??
Re: Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by southernbelle(f): 9:10pm On Mar 16, 2016
Very interesting, just stumbled across this thread now and I like the story.
Re: Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by Vave: 8:09pm On Mar 27, 2020
Oh, that’s sad. Why you are not thinking about changing the company There are so many services. I think that the service that I’m using will be convenient to your needs. Have you ever heard about https://usave.co.uk/ ? I’m using it about three years and it is literally perfect for me. The monthly payment is not so big, with very nice discounts. I don’t earn a lot, but I manage to pay monthly with no problems. I think in your situation it is the best solution !

1 Like

Re: Life Insurance Payment Is Destroying This Family by Sebastrue(m): 1:58pm On Mar 30, 2020
Vave:
Oh, that’s sad. Why you are not thinking about changing the company There are so many services. I think that the service that I’m using will be convenient to your needs. Have you ever heard about https://usave.co.uk/ ? I’m using it about three years and it is literally perfect for me. The monthly payment is not so big, with very nice discounts. I don’t earn a lot, but I manage to pay monthly with no problems. I think in your situation it is the best solution !
Nice website, I know it.

(1) (Reply)

Direct UK Used Quality Sewing Machines / I Married A Devils Incarnate: Am Been Very Sincere Nt Fables / Child Bearing and Timing of Child Bearing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.