Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,822 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:50 AM

Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell (21177 Views)

Why Jesus Christ Spoke More About Hell More Than Heaven / Facts About Hell In The Bible / Doubt About Hell? Come In And Ask Your Question: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by Edelweiss44: 12:50pm On Mar 13, 2016
Warlord3000:
Won't say a thing

Even though the idea of eternal damnation by a Merciful God kinda sounds contradictory to me..

But wait .. What do I know sef cheesy

It's easy to say God is merciful and loving, but never forget that God is a God of justice, and justice says that "the wages of sin is death", justice also says "the soul that sins shall die". God is the same yesterday, today and forever, He doesn't change His nature. The just nature of God demands that every unrepented sin be punished, and his merciful nature demands that every repented sin be forgiven and spared punishment. That is why God can only forgive and be merciful towards our sins when we repent of them. God cannot forgive a sin that is not repented of. This why based on the character of God, it is impossible for Him to allow a sinner go free of punishment if the sinner does not repent, but it is also impossible for God to condemn a sinner who has truly repented of his sins irrespective of the gravity of sin the person committed in the past. What makes God show His mercy to a sinner is not the sinner's personality, but the sinner's repentance from his sins and IDENTIFICATION WITH THE SACRIFICE OF CHRIST(which happens when a person asks Jesus Christ to come into his life and become his Lord & Saviour).

God is too holy to behold sin, and that is why a sinner who has not obtained mercy and forgiveness of his sins by the blood of Jesus CANNOT ENTER HEAVEN. The only other alternative to heaven where any person can end up when they die is Hell.

Please read what Jesus said in Matthew 10:28 "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell"

Also read what Jesus said in Mark 9:43 "And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched"

Salvation through Jesus Christ is not an option for anybody. It is a must for anyone who does not want to end up in hell. Nobody in his right senses will want to be tormented day and night forever without any hope of coming out from the pains. God in His mercy made a way out for us all by allowing Jesus to die for our sins so that if we believe in Him we will no longer have to pay for our sins ourselves in hell since Jesus has already done so, and the law of double jeopardy can be satisfied.

1 Like

Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by Funkybabee(f): 12:51pm On Mar 13, 2016
so sad its seem there are a lot of unbelievers here in nairaland pls accept Jesus into ur life before its too late.
rev.20 vs 12 to 15 said And I saw the dead,small and great stand before the God; and the book were opened,and another book was opened,which is the book of life.and dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books. according to their works.and the sea gave up the dead which were in it.and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in dead. and they were judged according to their works. and death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. this is the second death. and whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by Ade345(m): 12:56pm On Mar 13, 2016
imohchard:
I think the Bible says that the punishment for sin is death.. Where did hell Come in
When Adam and Eve sinned, God told them that they would die. Not go to hell. Remember that it's them that introduced us to sin. And their punishment is just death.. And if we sinned we get to suffer forever in fiery hell.

Does that make sense?
Remember that God is a God of Justice and justice required that we suffer the same punishment for sin.

Hell definitely is not the Devine punishment for sin.

Or can someone show me hellfire in the whole Bible?

Simply put, the Devine punishment for sin is death.
Jehovah's witness have been exposing false religious teachings since 1800

Well said, the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23). If a human father can love his child(ren), discipline them when they err, and still call them his children; how come a God that is love (1 John 4:8 ) will be looking at his creation (the works of his hand) burning forever. It is highly unthinkable for the Almighty to act wickedly!
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by icybeth(m): 1:00pm On Mar 13, 2016
op hell is not a place of torment but a grave. why did Job ask God to concealed him in hell where he will find peace and rest. The big question is why will a faithful man Job ask God to send him in such a place like that but not heaven?
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by Megaflex(m): 1:08pm On Mar 13, 2016
pls ponder on dis

1 Like

Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by seunmsg(m): 1:08pm On Mar 13, 2016
TPAND:

You need to understand that they body is destroyed. It is the celestial body that faces God not the terrestrial body. Your terrestrial body is destroyed here on earth

You did not answer my question. You people have talked about pains, torment, thirst and gnashing of teeth. How will the spirit feel all these?
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by atoleybaba(m): 1:12pm On Mar 13, 2016
zzzzy:
i think that's hades
still same plus sheol
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by Ravenna: 1:13pm On Mar 13, 2016
lloydpras:
Hell got nothing on me..am a Nigerian am in it already. cool
Why not thank God for that situation you got yourself in?
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by nereiskc(m): 1:15pm On Mar 13, 2016
I think is wise to search the scriptures diligently, for in them are your ans.
You don't pick one portion of Scripture & nail your conclusions. If u refer to what Job said about going to rest in hell, how about the parable of Lazarus and the rich man.
For my JW sister or brother that hang on Romans, don't u see bible verses people r quoting about the topic. Is not good to b stereotype. May God b our Strength.
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by Weah96: 1:16pm On Mar 13, 2016
popstun:
As a christain..my philosophical answer is.. I believe hell is real but i do not know if it's actually real

Wow. Few Christians tell the truth. I'm impressed.
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by EreluY(f): 1:20pm On Mar 13, 2016
Whilst people in the advanced world are preoccupied with making their nations great and bequeathing their children's children with enviable social order, Africans in general and Nigerians in particular are preoccupied with unverifiable eschatological delusions amidst dilapidated and debilitating social order. SHAME!

3 Likes

Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by luvprince4real(m): 1:23pm On Mar 13, 2016
There is no fire in hell.

1 Like

Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by Maser: 1:25pm On Mar 13, 2016
deborsky:
What does the Bible say?
“For the living know that they will die, but the dead know
nothing, . . . for there is no work or thought or
knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going.”
—Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10, Revised Standard Version.
The Hebrew word Sheol, which referred to the “abode of
the dead,” is translated “hell” in some versions of the
Bible. What does this passage reveal about the condition
of the dead? Do they suffer in Sheol in order to atone for
their errors? No, for they “know nothing.” That is why the
patriarch Job, when suffering terribly because of a
severe illness, begged God: “Protect me in hell [Hebrew,
Sheol].” ( Job 14:13 ; Douay-Rheims Version ) What meaning
would his request have had if Sheol was a place of
eternal torment? Hell, in the Biblical sense, is simply the
common grave of mankind, where all activity has
ceased.
Is not this definition of hell more logical and in harmony
with Scripture? What crime, however horrible, could
cause a God of love to torture a person endlessly? ( 1
John 4:8 ) But if hellfire is a myth, what about heaven?
Compare these Bible verses: Psalm 146:3, 4; Acts 2:25-27;
Romans 6:7, 23

Recall the story of the rich man and Lazarus Luke 16:19-31. Didn't the Bible say that he, after death and being in torment asked Abraham for some drop of water? He also specifically said that he was in torment in the fire in vs 24.That tells you that you don't die and dissappear, there's a place of torment called hell.

Secondly, check Matthew 10:28. Jesus said, Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul, Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in HELL.
Thirdly, Matthew 25:41, Then he will say to those on his left hand, "Depart from me, you cursed into the eternal FIRE prepared for the devil and his angels..."

STOP! deceiving people and STOP! being ANTI-CHRIST. If Jesus in the above scriptures tells us in no uncertain terms that there is hell, WHO ARE YOU TO CONTRADICT HIM?
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by Nobody: 1:25pm On Mar 13, 2016
Iliyande... Please where is adam and eve
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by TPAND(f): 1:33pm On Mar 13, 2016
seunmsg:

You did not answer my question. You people have talked about pains, torment, thirst and gnashing of teeth. How will the spirit feel all these?

This is where it gets dicey. But you have to understand that no man can phantom how the spirit is tormented, pains, gnashing of teeth are metaphoric expressions to how the hell fire would be. Your physical body has no business in hell. It is destroyed here on earth and left here.

Know that no man can explain how the torment of the spirit is except God. Revelation is the holy bible is not interpreted as it is. There are deeper knowledge and understanding to the texts In revelation
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by bedspread: 1:41pm On Mar 13, 2016
The Bible is the TEXT BOOK/GUIDE, GIVEN TO US BY THE CREATOR TO GUIDE US ON OUR LIFE ON EARTH. THE SAME CREATOR IS THE ONE THAT CREATED HELL. THERE IS NO WAY I WON'T REFER TO THE BIBLE.
henrydadon:
gimme one proof that hell fire exist..i dont want u to quote anything for me from the bible or make any reference to the bible ..because i know that what u are going to do
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by achorladey: 1:43pm On Mar 13, 2016
simply put: dont we feel sorry for wrongdoers when they start suffering from their errors. How much more God will now torment someone eternally for what. Sins commited within 70 to 80 years will rececive eternal punishment. That is injustice of highest order

1 Like

Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by iliyande(m): 1:43pm On Mar 13, 2016
IzonOwei:
Iliyande... Please where is adam and eve

Best known to God.
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by Deadlytruth(m): 1:44pm On Mar 13, 2016
Jesus himself used the parable in which He clearly said that the rich man was inside a fire from where he begged that a drop of water be put into his mouth as the fire was too hot. Jesus also compared unbelievers to grass which will be weeded off and burnt with fire.

Agreed that God can't allow his own children to suffer eternal thermal torment. But then the question is; who are God's children? Not everyone is a child of God even though he created everyone. Did God not use flood to torment his creatures during the time of Noah? Was it not fire God released to burn up 250 men who challenged Moses' authority in Numbers 16: 35?

JW has misled and continued misleading people with their distortions of Bible teachings. If God will really not turture people for sin then there would not have been restraint in doing evil here on earth
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by achorladey: 1:45pm On Mar 13, 2016
God is a consuming fire. The point there is consuming. Check the meaning not tormenting fire.
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by achorladey: 1:49pm On Mar 13, 2016
Romans 6:7 for the one who has died has been acquitted of his sins. Goes hand in hand with Romans 6:23 that says when you sin against God what you get as reward is death. What else again.

1 Like

Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by achorladey: 1:50pm On Mar 13, 2016
Explain Amos 9:2
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by firstolalekan(m): 1:51pm On Mar 13, 2016
henrydadon:
i dont believe hell is real..what i do beleive is that when we die..we all gonna go back to the ground where we came from..hell fire is some bullshit crap
Olodo

Did you come from the ground?

Shame on the pússy that begot you
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by bodeemmy(m): 2:09pm On Mar 13, 2016
Hell is not a place of torment. It is a common grave of Mankind. Synonyms to Hell are Grave, Hades and Sheol, commonly used interchangeably in the Bible. If u read King James Version of the Bible Act 2:31. there the bible said Jesus was not left in Hell. the word left shows that he was there before but was forsaken, which shows that Jesus went to Hell i.e he died and was buried in Hell (Grave, Hades or Sheol ).
We all know that Jesus is a perfect Being, so following the general believe about hell that is a place of torment for the wicked will be in sharp contrast to what that account said. If Jesus who is perfect can be said of in the Bible that he was not forsaken in hell, then hell is not a place of torment.
The truth that the bible teach is that; the wages of sin is death ROM 6:23.
God is love, it is impossible for to do that.
the teaching of Hell fire disrespect God, pose God as unloving God.
Even Human can not do such a thing let alone God.
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by Fongido(m): 2:17pm On Mar 13, 2016
In the days of Noah when he was telling people to prepare that there would be flooding many doubted when the day came they were unprepared and God told Noah to replace them with animals. that's how that day will be for those who says there's no hell and heaven. it would be too late for atheists.
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by damocool(m): 2:19pm On Mar 13, 2016
Omagzee:

bro i have seen hellfire in the bible before. That small king James bible but i just cant recall the actual book, chapter or verse. But it was Jesus who was making a statement and he clearly mentioned hellfire in it bro. Problem is, i just cant recall vividly again.

I love J.W very well, infact i attended kingdom hall meetings sometimes (still contemplating March 23rd). Problem started when i read about Russel's miracle wheat seeds and his messy divorce saga his false prophesies.
This is the same route all these other religion u label false ply through. Lol something you guys have plied through before. Hmmmmm wonder why your's aint false too. u don see my wahala ba?
Matthew 5 v 22 bro
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by Ade345(m): 2:19pm On Mar 13, 2016
Arguing about everlasting torment does not really help anyone to achieve everlasting life. We have all sinned against God (Psalm 51:5), and we still continue to sin in our day to day life. Irrespective of this, we know that God is Love (1 John 4:cool, he is patient and kind. And he does not desire that any one of us should die, but that we should repent of our sins and enjoy the gift of everlasting life (2 Peter 3:9) and (Romans 6:23b).
Let each person not be distracted by doctrines which are can be formulated by man; the bible is very clear. The whole obligation of man here on earth is to fear the true God and keep his commandments (Ecclesiastes 12:13).
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by kulekaa(m): 2:26pm On Mar 13, 2016
Nenye75:
It is better to live as if there is God and die discovering there is no God than living as if there is no God and die to realise there is God....
may his soul RIP! @ Joshua Ocholi
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by Kei144(m): 2:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by boss096(m): 2:38pm On Mar 13, 2016
I think we should be asking our self's, is HEAVEN real? If yes then why are you finding it difficult to believe hell is?
Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 13, 2016
LAKE OF FIRE
This expression occurs only in the book of Revelation and is clearly symbolic. The Bible gives its own explanation and definition of the symbol by stating: “This means the second death, the lake of fire.”—Re 20:14; 21:8.

The symbolic quality of the lake of fire is further evident from the context of references to it in the book of Revelation. Death is said to be hurled into this lake of fire. (Re 19:20; 20:14) Death obviously cannot be literally burned. Moreover, the Devil, an invisible spirit creature, is thrown into the lake. Being spirit, he cannot be hurt by literal fire.—Re 20:10; compare Ex 3:2 and Jg 13:20.

Since the lake of fire represents “the second death” and since Revelation 20:14 says that both “death and Hades” are to be cast into it, it is evident that the lake cannot represent the death man has inherited from Adam (Ro 5:12), nor does it refer to Hades (Sheol). It must, therefore, be symbolic of another kind of death, one that is without reversal, for the record nowhere speaks of the “lake” as giving up those in it, as do Adamic death and Hades (Sheol). (Re 20:13) Thus, those not found written in “the book of life,” unrepentant opposers of God’s sovereignty, are hurled into the lake of fire, meaning eternal destruction, or the second death.—Re 20:15.

While the foregoing texts make evident the symbolic quality of the lake of fire, it has been used by some persons to support belief in a literal place of fire and torment. Revelation 20:10 has been appealed to, because it speaks of the Devil, the wild beast, and the false prophet as being “tormented day and night forever and ever” in the lake of fire. However, this cannot refer to actual conscious torment. Those thrown into the lake of fire undergo “the second death.” (Re 20:14) In death there is no consciousness and, hence, no feeling of pain or suffering.—Ec 9:5.

In the Scriptures fiery torment is associated with destruction and death. For example, in the Greek Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Scriptures the word for torment (baʹsa·nos) is several times used with reference to punishment by death. (Eze 3:20; 32:24, 30) Similarly, concerning Babylon the Great, the book of Revelation says, “the kings of the earth . . . will weep and beat themselves in grief over her, when they look at the smoke from the burning of her, while they stand at a distance because of their fear of her torment [Gr., ba·sa·ni·smouʹ].” (Re 18:9, 10) As to the meaning of the torment, an angel later explains: “Thus with a swift pitch will Babylon the great city be hurled down, and she will never be found again.” (Re 18:21) So, fiery torment here is parallel with destruction, and in the case of Babylon the Great, it is everlasting destruction.—Compare Re 17:16; 18:8, 15-17, 19.

Therefore, those who are ‘tormented forever’ (from Gr., ba·sa·niʹzo) in the lake of fire undergo “second death” from which there is no resurrection. The related Greek word ba·sa·ni·stesʹ is translated ‘jailer’ in Matthew 18:34. (RS, NW, ED; compare vs 30.) Thus those hurled into the lake of fire will be held under restraint, or “jailed,” in death throughout eternity. Excerpt from Insight On The Scriptures published by Jehovah's Witnesses

1 Like

Re: Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell by Nobody: 2:54pm On Mar 13, 2016
damocool:

Matthew 5 v 22 bro

thanks alot, at least someone has seen it too just like me. So we can prove him wrong

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jonah & the Great Fish: Real or Allegory / Parable? / Why Pator Chris Okotie Divorced His Wife Stephanie Henshaw / MFM 2016 Annual 70 Days Fasting And Prayers Begins Today Monday 8th August

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.