Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,180 members, 7,815,136 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition (1399 Views)

Mother Of Boy Who Was Killed In Owerri Bursts Into Tears As PDP Visits. Photos / Tears As Gov. Wike Visits Ogoni Killings Arena - Photos / Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by 9jaclicktivist: 4:25am On Mar 09, 2016
Year 2016 seems not to be good for traders in Lagos State. While many market men and women are grappling with the dire times precipitated by the scarcity of dollars, fear of the state’s demolition squad battle-ready with their efficient bulldozers have caused many sleepless nights since the turn of the year.
It began with the leveling at Oshodi Market, then the taskforce team moved to Daleko Market in Mushin and razed it down. Nearly 24 hours after government announced its intention to relocate the troubled Mile 12 Market, the taskforce visited Ladipo auto spare-parts market yesterday at Toyota Bus-Stop on Apapa-Oshodi Expressway and demolished a section of the multi-billion naira market.
This latest act didn’t come to many by a surprise, as the market had been in the news for the wrong reasons in recent weeks. However, the supremacy battle between Owoyemi family and Odo-Aladura community over a portion of land had led to severe skirmishes that had claimed lives and closure of the market several times.
Speaking with The Guardian, Vice President of the market, Mr. Jude Chika Nwankwo, criticised the state government for demolishing over 300 shops without prior notice to the shop owners and market leaders. “It is so sad that an elected government can do this to its people. We were not given any notice to leave before today, we only came this morning to see ruins of our shops.
“Why should the government come like a thief in the night to do this. Our security man called me around 2:00 am and informed me of the presence of some government officials and policemen who came with caterpillars. I immediately put a call through to the Commissioner of Police at 2:15am to inform him of the situation. All he said was that there was no problem; that his men would be there to stop any illegal demolition.
“We are all family men now left with nothing to do, government has closed our source of livelihood; we are now helpless. Many of the items in the shop had been looted except for some heavy spare parts difficult to carry. Personally, I don’t know where to go from here. I have incurred huge debt with the last consignment I got due to the dollar issue and now this,” he lamented.
However, another trader said unidentified persons suspected to be thugs carried out the demolition. According to him, the thugs who attempted to demolish it recently before traders prevented them had to come around 3:00 a.m. to demolish the market and hurriedly left before the traders arrived in the morning.
“There had been crises for some weeks after the same thugs invaded the market and attempted to demolish it but the traders mobilised themselves and chased the thugs away. That invasion resulted in serious fracas between the traders and thugs during which many traders sustained injuries. One of the traders, Anene Utasi, was attacked. He was rushed to Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) where he eventually died.”
An angry trader, who was picking debris of his goods yesterday lamented failure of the government to issue any notice. “I kept N830,000 here yesterday but cannot find a penny. Everything has been looted. I had goods worth N16.8 million buried under the rubble, should I carry all the goods on my head to my house? Do they want to turn us into armed robbers?” he asked.
There were skeletal activities at other section of the market not touched yesterday as traders shut down in solidarity with those who lost their wares to the demolition. There was also a heavy presence of policemen stationed at the market to forestall any violence.
http://telltimes..com/2016/03/tears-as-ladipo-traders-fault-midnight.html
Re: Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by HungerBAD: 4:29am On Mar 09, 2016
As the Chief Security Officer of the State.

The Governor has the right constitutionally, to shut down any market that is considered to be a security threat to his State. In this article, it was stated that "LIVES" has been lost, in skirmishes over some parcel of land at the market.

But again, the story is ambiguous on who actually carried out this act as stated by the traders themselves. Some said it was thugs, who had earlier being pursued away, and some that are political mischief makers are blaming the Government of Lagos State.

Nobody knows yet who carried out this act.

But, this is what i know about the Lagos that i grew up in. The State is a respecter of Law, and if the Government was involved in this, i am sure a notice would have been given to these traders "YEARS" ago.

Same Scenario played out in Oshodi, even if for years the Government had been giving them notices. But trust "THOSE PEOPLE" to play on the sentiments of others by playing the "VICTIM" card.

5 Likes

Re: Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by SleekMallam: 4:34am On Mar 09, 2016
Re: Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by STARGREEN(m): 4:42am On Mar 09, 2016
It's a pity but it's well. This government will also pass away. readjust God is God.
Re: Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by tit(f): 4:43am On Mar 09, 2016
kwapu kwapu kwapu kwapu
unu dum
Re: Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by Tpave(m): 4:49am On Mar 09, 2016
Are you sure this is not part of the lagoon issue. That threat was a proverb which is manifesting for real with all these demolitions.

1 Like

Re: Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by hollywater: 4:53am On Mar 09, 2016
I am not surprise.A planed work.

1 Like

Re: Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by gbaskiboy: 5:21am On Mar 09, 2016
I am speechless....
Re: Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by Musiwa419: 5:24am On Mar 09, 2016
Go tell Nnamdi Kanu to buid another Market for you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by ryd3(m): 5:28am On Mar 09, 2016
This is the 21st century. Things cannot go on as they were. The ladipo issue has been coming and going on for years now..

1 Like

Re: Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by DaBullIT(m): 5:41am On Mar 09, 2016
When I see pictorial proof of shops and goods in rubble I will. Blame Ambode

Until then I chose not to believe news from unknown source

Lagoon or no lagoon , Lagos is being rebuilt for everybody
Re: Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by modath(f): 5:46am On Mar 09, 2016
Telltimes ! lipsrsealed

Anyway, midnight stealth move could not have been the state..
Re: Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by Flexherbal(m): 5:50am On Mar 09, 2016
Maybe it was brought down for security reasons. But when it comes to construction, those their machines are never active.
Re: Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by Nobody: 5:55am On Mar 09, 2016
How can a govt legal demolition be done at 2.00am? Anyway, I'm not surprised, Fashola deportees were dumped at onitsha bridgehead by same time.

Until ndi be anyi put on their glasses to read the handwriting on the wall clearly, such news will continue to make headlines.

Naanu ndi be anyi. Be anyi nwere uba ala unu ga alu ahia mara mma. Werenu ndi Nnewi ka ihe I ma atu.
Re: Tears As Ladipo Traders Fault Midnight Demolition by Mynd44: 6:01am On Mar 09, 2016

(1)

Why Blacks Will Always Remain Poor.. / The Chinese Are Not Fools And They Will Not Developed Nigeria / Check Out The Name Nigerian Fuel Black Marketer Gave His Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.