Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,919 members, 7,814,091 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

Obama Consulted Me Before Visiting Ghana. Yara Dua - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Obama Consulted Me Before Visiting Ghana. Yara Dua (616 Views)

Seven Things This Nairalander Did Before Visiting Yaba Left / You Nigerians Should Feel Honored Today Because A Somali(me) Is Visiting Here: / Someone Help,my Fiancee Says I Must Call Her Before Visiting, I'm Confused (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Obama Consulted Me Before Visiting Ghana. Yara Dua by OneNaija(m): 4:48pm On Jul 17, 2009
President Umaru Yar’Adua has expressed dismay over the manner Nigerians have reacted to American President, Barack Obama perceived cold shudder to Nigeria, the acclaimed giant of Africa, during his recent visit to the continent disclosing that he (Obama) consulted him 24 hours before embarking on the visit.

Yar’Adua made this disclosure yesterday at the public presentation of three books written by the Governor of Imo State, Okedi Godson Ohakim at the Civic Centre, Victoria Island, Lagos, where he praised the governor’s “dynamic leadership to the people.”

The books are Pushing the Limits, The Courage to Challenge and Challenging New Frontiers.
Yar’Adua, who spoke through the External Affairs Minister, Chief Ojo Madueke stated that, even Obama reconfirmed Nigeria as the undisputable giant of Africa when he said, “whichever way goes Nigeria, goes Africa,” pointing out that, the import of Obama’s admittance of Nigeria’s leadership position in Africa was that, Nigeria should try to sanitise its electoral processes to be able to lead the way.

“It means Nigeria must be alive to its responsibility as a leader because the stake is very high, and because when Nigeria goes down, Africa goes with it,” Yar’Adua emphasised.
Against this background, Mr. President noted: “We won’t wait till we are told what to do by outsiders. So, we have been talking to ourselves. We appreciate your anxiety and we will not disappoint you. But let us step confidently into the future to actualise our destiny and improve our capacity to confront all agents of corruption.”

The President praised Ohakim for putting governance into proper perspective through three books, reminding that, “history would be fair to only those who writes it.
While taking swipe at perceived enemies of the administration, Yar’Adua said his government would not be distracted by the antics of those he described as, “intellectual hitmen,” who, he said were so lazy that they did not know the name of their local government chairman and who could not hassle for power.
Also speaking at the event, the Chairman on the occasion and Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’ad Abubakar III described the Imo State chief executive as “a builder of understanding across bridges of all the geo-political zones in the country,” expressing delight that, Ohakim has been rendering developmental services to his people.

The Sultan, who was represented by the Etsu Nupe, Alhaji Yahya Abubakar, however, enjoined leaders to rule with the fear of God, reminding them that, “one day, all of us will stand before our creator to render account of our stewardship on earth.”

The Vice President, Goodluck Jonathan, who was represented by the Minister of Education, Dr. Sam Egwu also described the author of three books as, “a man of vision and courage,” stating emphatically that, “it is rare for a single person to combine the two special attributes.”
The Chief host and Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola also said that, “writing three books at a go is no mean achievement,” saying the books present the much needed vision for the country.
His words: “You have enriched the discourse on the Nigerian political evolution front. You have contributed specific road map to the development of this country as well as increasing global literature to educate Nigerians beyond this day.”

Former Foreign Affairs Minister, Professor Bolaji Akinyemi, while reviewing the books described the author as “an incurable optimist,” pointing out that, “he (Ohakim) still believes that Nigeria can still wake up from its slumber and move forward.”
In his response, Governor Ohakim expressed delight in the array of dignitaries who graced the occasion, saying, being a governor was not as important to him as being able to make a change through selfless service.

According to him, the success of a country depended mainly on the courage of the leadership to effect a change and the cooperation of the followership with the leadership to effect the much needed change.
Ohakim observed that the change was difficult because some people have been leading a life of illegality, lamenting that, their unwillingness to change has been the bane of the nation.
He, therefore, charged Nigerians to re-brand themselves and partner with the leadership to salvage the country together, just as he enjoined the media to help out admitting that, “the fate of this country is in the hand of the media.”

Present at the well attended event were the Senate President, David Mark, who unveiled the books, Lagos monarch, Oba Rilwan Akiolu, Senator Arthur Nzeribe, Managing Director/Editor-in-Chief of The Sun Publishing Company, Mr Mike Awoyinfa and his deputy, Mr Dimgba Igwe, Champion Newspapers publisher, Chief Emmanuel Iwanyawu, former Lagos Military Governor, Rear Admiral Ndubuisi Kanu, Obong of Calabar, the Royal Father of the day, His Royal Highness, Eze (Dr.) C.I Ilomuanya among other dignitaries.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/july/17/national-17-07-2009-02.htm

(1) (Reply)

Uk Spouses Visa / Hello / @mods Pls Stop Banning Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.