Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,496 members, 7,819,812 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist (11886 Views)

Keys For A Happy Marriage- A Christain Perspective / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / The Reasons You Must Stop Arguing With Atheist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Kunbee: 2:33am On Jul 21, 2009
Fabulous
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Nobody: 3:21am On Jul 21, 2009
buda atum:

I read stuff on forums, Nigerian Forums to be specific, and my eyes drip with liquid, my heart bleeds something red, and I shamed I am part of the constant "I am better than you", "you suck", that I see. Why can't people just get on, is all I think. Why can't people be perfected into the ‘Gods’ that religions, and the religious leaders we claim to revere have shown us that we are able to be, I ask? Do we really not understand the benefits (“peace”, “progress” at least, though there are more) which can, and does (my experience shows me) spring forth from the thought in our heads regardless of whether the God we worship exists or not? Why the hypocrisy folks, don't we all have mirrors we can look in and see if we are loving one another or not?

buda is most certainly an atheist. By that, I do not mean that buda does not only not believe in the existence of God or Gods, but that buda knows that there is no God apart from you, all of you that is! Or did someone - no Someone! - not specifically say, “If one does not unto those whom one sees, one cannot be doing unto any God one sees not”?

Buda does go to Saint John's with Holy Trinity every Sunday and Monday morning, let it be known - on Sunday to sing, and read, and be told something that exercises the mind, and on Monday to teach mainly Muslims, English Language, and to learn about Islam from those I teach. At no time during this English Teaching do I insult my students with the religion of Saint John's with Holy Trinity, even though the lessons are in a Church. In my atheistic way, I know that Bangladeshi, Pakistani, etc, students benefit more from the learning I enable them to acquire than they would from my indoctrinating them into some belief that means nothing to them and contradicts what they already hold to be true. In Christianese, I bring Christ to them by empowering them to operate in the community that they live in, I believe. As to their going to some Paradiso, I leave that to them!

I am indeed heavily influenced by Zen Buddhism, which is a form of Buddhism that even some Buddhists (I am told) frown on. It specifically, advocates a more mystical way of seeing things and uses any text to put its message across, so I am able to use my Koran, Bible, Thrice-Greatest Hermes, James Hadley Chase, Pacesetters, Alice in Wonderland, The Lankavatara, The Dhammapada, amongst others, to develop my mind. However, this list is  not exclusive, for I know the errors of eating only bread, (Deuteronomy 8:3). I am especially aware that even all the seas and trees in the world, both multiplied seven times, would neither produce enough ink or pens to write every word that is Godly (Al Quran 31:26). Yet, though much read, and still in no way as much as what one pen and the ink of even one ocean would write, one cannot claim that one knows it all and that everyone else is wrong. In fact, the more I read, the more ignorant I discover I am is more the truth; and if anything humbles one better, one’s tinniness in the whole scheme of things sure is it is what I find.

Behind the veil of what we call God, there is you, you see - a human being like me, who bleeds when poked, and cries when kicked hard, and laughs when celebrating a birthday. There is not one of us, but many of us with our diverse views, opinions, and ideologies by which we live our lives. All religions and societally beneficial ideologies, at the very fundamental, advocate the recognition of this one fact. I, for one, am assured to burn in the hotmost part of hell if I dared forget and be horrible to another creation. not that I fear going to hell or anything! Just that I would not like you to poke or kick me back is all. But just looky you all, so much loving you showing despite the difference, all you Angels saying nice things to one another, and on a birthday at that, and even without abandoning your Gods or ideologies or bents or adopting one another’s! Oh, so much love!

I found the above and posted it because it fit a certain way of thought I often come across regardless of religion or lack of, I fear to say. I didn't write it. The hope is that it will be a mirror by which each will remove the forest from his or her own eye, I hope.

P.s I am going to post it on NIA (Yep! We up again!). You might wanna see how a different group of people respond to the same thing.

Nice sounding words but simply ecumenical nonsense inspired by the devil. Sorry but that is the bible's stance.
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by budaatum: 9:20pm On Jul 21, 2009
davidylan:

Nice sounding words but simply ecumenical nonsense inspired by the devil. Sorry but that is the bible's stance.
buda is the devil, davidylan!

But are you certain that is not your own stance?
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 21, 2009
buda atum:

buda is the devil, davidylan!

But are you certain that is not your own stance?

i'm absolutely sure. The bible is not about "why cant people just get on"?
The kingdom of God is not about simply "loving" the fellow man you can see . . .

the bible talks so much about christians being "hated" for the sake of the gospel. It talks of christians being persecuted for their faith. It takes about "coming out of her my people and be ye SEPARATE" . . .

Sorry i find no such basis for your ecumenism in the bible.
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by budaatum: 11:18pm On Jul 22, 2009
davidylan:

i'm absolutely sure. The bible is not about "why cant people just get on"?
The kingdom of God is not about simply "loving" the fellow man you can see . . .

the bible talks so much about christians being "hated" for the sake of the gospel. It talks of christians being persecuted for their faith. It takes about "coming out of her my people and be ye SEPARATE" . . .
And it says "love those who hate you", and "turn the other cheek if they slap you", david!

davidylan:
Sorry i find no such basis for your ecumenism in the bible.
Not even where it says "love more even those who hate you"?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jul 22, 2009
buda atum:

And it says "love those who hate you", and "turn the other cheek if they slap you", david!
Not even where it says "love more even those who hate you"?

you seem to be confused as to what the bible has to say about love. We are to love our brethren but not be a part of their ecumenism all in the warped idea of "love".

Love means warning the lost about the dangers of facing eternity without Christ . . . it is not about pushing aside our "differences" and embracing ourselves. Love is about telling others about the love of Christ and His shed blood on calvary, not trying hard to not offend them by watering down the gospel.

biblical love means calling out heresy, not condoning it in the name of "we shld be one".
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by budaatum: 1:10am On Jul 23, 2009
davidylan:

you seem to be confused as to what the bible has to say about love. We are to love our brethren but not be a part of their ecumenism all in the warped idea of "love".

Love means warning the lost about the dangers of facing eternity without Christ . . . it is not about pushing aside our "differences" and embracing ourselves. Love is about telling others about the love of Christ and His shed blood on calvary, not trying hard to not offend them by watering down the gospel.

biblical love means calling out heresy, not condoning it in the name of "we shld be one".
If that is all your God told you david, who am I to argue with you? All I can say is what my God told me, which is, "Don't just love those who are easy to love, buda, but moreso those who are most hard too". Its all I have to share. As to trying not to offend, me?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Nobody: 1:18am On Jul 23, 2009
buda atum:

If that is all your God told you david, who am I to argue with you? All I can say is what my God told me, which is, "Don't just love those who are easy to love, buda, but moreso those who are most hard too". Its all I have to share. As to trying not to offend, me?

I'm not sure your "God" understands the real meaning of "love".
Love is not closing your eyes when your friends are heading towards eternal damnation.

How do you love buda? By giving your money, time and sacrifice? Is that enough? Have you considered it would all be a waste if they were to die without Jesus and end up in hell?

You try not to offend when you refuse to preach the gospel to those who need it for fear of either alienating them from you or hurting their own religious feelings.
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:03am On Jul 23, 2009
davidylan:

Love is not closing your eyes when your friends are heading towards eternal damnation.

How do you love buda? By giving your money, time and sacrifice? Is that enough? Have you considered it would all be a waste if they were to die without Jesus and end up in hell?

You try not to offend when you refuse to preach the gospel to those who need it for fear of either alienating them from you or hurting their own religious feelings.
Even if your message were true, your piss poor approach will make anyone who heard it cringe, I am sure hell will be better off than being with you in heaven. YOu suck at human relations, just how does alienating people achieve the aim of bringing people to christ. You are a very very poor christian.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by mazaje(m): 5:26am On Jul 23, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Even if your message were true, your piss poor approach will make anyone who heard it cringe, I am sure hell will be better off than being with you in heaven. YOu suck at human relations, just how does alienating people achieve the aim of bringing people to christ. You are a very very poor christian.

davidylan just uses christianity to as a mask to hide under the very miserable live he is living. . . . .at least he has tacitly confessed here in one or two occasions that he is living a miserable life. . . . . . . .  .
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by budaatum: 9:34pm On Jul 23, 2009
Please forgive him Chrisbenogor, and mazaje, for he knows not what he says.

davidylan:

I do not close my eyes to the plight of my friend david. I advice, I assist, and I most certainly do not tell them to say "Jesus is Lord", and there plight will go away. They say that already, and their plights keep increasing!

I most certainly do not want to alienate people whom I can be of assistance to. If I drive them away, they might go away so far that I wouldn't be able to help them at all!

Open your eye david and my God might show you its meaning of "love". Then you can assess if its dumb or not.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 23, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

That is not a problem to me . . . personally my human relations dont seem a problem to those who know me as more than a forum personality. So forget the irrelevant dig.

Back to core issues . . . i think we have a basic disconnect. Christianity is a "called out profession" . . . sinners, scoffers, mockers like you are ALREADY ALIENATED from God to start with . . . it is conviction of sin and a genuine desire to repentance that will bring you to Christ, not mollycuddling and pretending that "we are all the same".
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 23, 2009
buda atum:

I do not close my eyes to the plight of my friend david. I advice, I assist, and I most certainly do not tell them to say "Jesus is Lord", and there plight will go away. They say that already, and their plights keep increasing!

I most certainly do not want to alienate people whom I can be of assistance to. If I drive them away, they might go away so far that I wouldn't be able to help them at all!

Open your eye david and my God might show you its meaning of "love". Then you can assess if its dumb or not.

that is human philosophy, a lie of the devil, a tool primarily used to water down the gospel.

At one point Christ lost more than 70 disciples in one day! Read john 6 . . . he wasnt perturbed . . . He knew that those who were genuinely called to repentance would remain. The kingdom of God hasnt always been about quantity as much as the quality of your relationship with Jesus.

You're god's notion of love is evil. I only wish you could open your eyes long enough to see it. It is watching a blind man walking into a ditch and encouraging him to go forward so as not to "alienate" him. It is knowing a patient has terminal cancer and telling him he only has the flu so as not to break his spirit. That isnt love bro.
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by bawomolo(m): 11:23pm On Jul 23, 2009
davidylan:

that is human philosophy, a lie of the devil, a tool primarily used to water down the gospel.

At one point Christ lost more than 70 disciples in one day! Read john 6 . . . he wasnt perturbed . . . He knew that those who were genuinely called to repentance would remain. The kingdom of God hasnt always been about quantity as much as the quality of your relationship with Jesus.

You're god's notion of love is evil. I only wish you could open your eyes long enough to see it. It is watching a blind man walking into a ditch and encouraging him to go forward so as not to "alienate" him. It is knowing a patient has terminal cancer and telling him he only has the flu so as not to break his spirit. That isnt love bro.

this hardline stance is what has led to sects in Christianity.

It seems you only consider your brand truthful.
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jul 23, 2009
bawomolo:

this hardline stance is what has led to sects in Christianity.

It seems you only consider your brand truthful.

yes.
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by bawomolo(m): 11:47pm On Jul 23, 2009
davidylan:

yes.

how come? are you sure there can't be different "paths" to salvation.
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by noetic2: 11:49pm On Jul 23, 2009
bawomolo:

why are u so bothered about salvation? have u been dreaming of hell-fire lately?
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by bawomolo(m): 11:50pm On Jul 23, 2009
noetic2:

why are u so bothered about salvation? have u been dreaming of hell-fire lately?

no, i just want 72 virgins by all means.

anyway they could be ferried to hell?
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by noetic2: 11:52pm On Jul 23, 2009
bawomolo:

no, i just want 72 virgins by all means.

anyway they could be ferried to hell?

grin grin grin thats brilliant.

I am sure allah would be gracious to oblige u, . . . . .u should hope mohammed has not shagged all of em. grin
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by bawomolo(m): 11:58pm On Jul 23, 2009
noetic2:

grin grin grin thats brilliant.

I am sure allah would be gracious to oblige u,  . . . . .u should hope mohammed has not shagged all of em.  grin

that's not possible because unlike Mohammad i don't like em young.   Mohammed should understand it aint no fun if the homies can't have none  grin

My paradise is greater than your paradise  cheesy. you praise god for eternity in heaven while i have 72 virgins in paradise.
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by noetic2: 12:02am On Jul 24, 2009
bawomolo:

that's not possible because unlike Mohammad i don't like em young.   Mohammed should understand it aint no fun if the homies can't have none  grin

My paradise is greater than your paradise  cheesy. you praise god for eternity in heaven while i have 72 virgins in paradise.

grin grin grin I dont envy u
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by bawomolo(m): 12:03am On Jul 24, 2009
now you infidel.

are you gonna join the right side or the side of eternal blue balls cool
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by noetic2: 12:03am On Jul 24, 2009
I am cool where I am.

have a nice time with ur 72 virgins grin grin grin
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Nobody: 1:01am On Jul 24, 2009
bawomolo:

there is only one path to salvation . . . sorry bro.
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by budaatum: 10:11am On Jul 26, 2009
davidylan:

A certain person, some say He was a God, once said, "If one does not do to these human beings that one sees in front of one, one is suredly not doing for the God in the Heavens that one does not see"

davidylan:
A certain person, some say He was a God, once said, "if one of my sheep goes missing, I leave the other 99 and go look for it"

davidylan:
You are accusing me of lying to people that I love, david. And you use analogies that I think do not represent me at all, but what do I know?

A certain person was told by God, it is written, that "Thou shall not bear false witness against another!"

All quotes above are from the Buda's Version, and it is likely that you do not have a copy david. But some have Books of their own where the same quotations are found. I am sure someone will find us chapter and verse.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Enigma(m): 3:45pm On Oct 27, 2011
Bump --- with relish! grin

I didn't realise something as good as the OP was lurking in the archives.

Should come in useful every now and then, I'm sure. wink

cool

1 Like

Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Nobody: 5:32pm On Oct 27, 2011
omg Laff wan kill me die oooo.

Back in da days.

Our dear late atheist Bawomolo.

May his soul rest in peace cheesy cool
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Nobody: 5:45pm On Oct 27, 2011
toba:

omg Laff wan kill me die oooo.

Back in da days.

Our dear late atheist Bawomolo.

May his soul rest in peace cheesy cool

i thought of him when i read this piece as well. May God have mercy on us.
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Enigma(m): 8:03pm On Oct 27, 2011
Meanwhile, I've just remembered a couple more things from the litany of the evangelical atheists.

- Babel fish
- The watchmaker

I'm sure that one day the others that have been identified on a number of other threads will migrate to this one. It would be good to have a decent compendium on a thread like this. smiley

cool
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by JeSoul(f): 5:48pm On Oct 28, 2011
Kai In-Law lol. Where did you dig up this gem of a thread from? Lol.
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Enigma(m): 4:27pm On Nov 03, 2011
I plan to keep this thread updated periodically with postings or listings of evangelical atheists' standard arguments or tactics. I'll start here with a general observation I first made earlier on the "contributions" of the evangelical atheists and how much of their "efforts" is what worth addressing and to what extent.  smiley

Enigma:

Well, it is indeed true that several of the evangelical atheists and some other anti-Christians here rarely say anything constructive and, accordingly, some of us don't take them seriously other than to point out their own dogmas, absurdities, inconsistencies, intellectual folly, sleight of hand and even intellectual dishonesty.

cool
Re: 30 Keys To Being An Effective Atheist by Enigma(m): 4:51pm On Nov 03, 2011
This one simply has to be here!

From http://www.truefreethinker.com/articles/flying-spaghetti-monster-invisible-pink-unicorns-et-al-part-1-4

On the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the Invisible Pink Unicorns, et al.

Many atheists exhibit a lack of knowledge of the very theism against which they most often, if not exclusively, argue - the Bible's Judeo-Christianity. Worse yet, they think that they are well versed by claiming that they were "raised Christian" (whatever that means), "went to Sunday School," "was an altar boy," "saw the movie (hyperbole intended)," etc.

I am not one to claim that you must be a theologian to speak on, or against, Christianity nor a scholar to speak on, or against, the Bible. That is to be reserved for scholarly settings. Yet, one ought to be at least somewhat versed on the subject that one seeks to critique and be skeptical enough to double check both what one is being told as well as one's own positions.

[b]I find that many atheists not only lack knowledge of Christian theology and the contents and contexts of the Bible but lack a basic understanding of natural theology / general revelation, which seeks to infer the cause of the universe from nature (nature not meaning biosphere alone but the universe as a whole).

Take a lack of knowledge of natural theology / general revelation - add to it a lack knowledge of Christian theology and the contents of the Bible - mix that with a typically early age rejection of Christianity - blend it with the early, Sunday School, age understanding of theology - and finally bake it in the presuppositional oven of self-professed erudition and what do we end up with?

We end up with atheists seriously arguing that the concept of God as postulated by Christian theology is on a par with postulating the existence of imaginary friends, fairies, celestial teapots, sky daddies or Flying Spaghetti Monster and Invisible Pink Unicorns.[/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Not Going To Church Because Of Naira Scarcity? / How Do We Pray Over Meal: Bless This Food Oh Lord! / Would You Change Your Religion For Love?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.