Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:51 AM

5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop (43365 Views)

Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Some Nigerians Need To Drop / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Chinekepikin: 3:22am On Mar 11, 2016

5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop

There are a handful of stereotypes that Africans hold against each other and this is not surprising due to the multi-cultural structure of our society. Nigeria has over 500 ethnic groups. Among the 500, about 9 languages are extinct while only three are -Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba- leading the pack, and each one of these tribal groups have their peculiarities.

The Igbos of Southeastern, Nigeria are one of the leading ethnic groups in the country. They can be found in Enugu, Anambra, Ebonyi, Imo, and Abia. Despite these peculiarities, a handful of Nigerians have some misconceptions about this amazing ethnic group.
Jovago.com, Africa’s No 1 hotel booking portal identifies 5 stereotypes that Nigerians have about persons of Igbo extraction and offers facts that debunk them.

They know nothing but business

Let’s give it to the Igbos, when it comes to business, there is no contest. At major markets, they are dominant. In fact, in places where you do not imagine that you will find them, they are always there. But, there is more to this people than business. You find them in politics, literature, education, economy and other sectors. Late Nnamdi Azikiwe, was a businessman, first prime minister of Nigeria and a nationalist as well as a lawyer. The literary lord, the man of words and the author of the evergreen bookThings Fall Apart that made the world change their perception about African literature, late Chinua Achebe was not a businessman, same with Chiwetel Ejiofor, and also Chimamanda Adichie. The list is endless. Take it or leave it, no matter the field an Igbo Man ventures into, the business trait tails him.

All Igbo women are light skinned

There is no argument about Igbo women being light skinned but the stereotype is tagging all Igbo women light skinned which is not the case. There are chocolate, ebony, and dark skinned ladies among them. In addition, light skinned women are not restricted to Igbo women alone but it cut across all Nigerian tribes. When next you see a light skinned lady, do not make up your mind that she is Igbo!

They love ‘Ego‘ also known as ‘Money‘

Who does not love money? Money is desired by almost everyone in varying degrees. Many say you cannot date an Igbo girl if you do not have money but these preconceived notions are not entirely based on facts. Rather than singling out a particular ethnic group to castigate, this is a blanket perception for all ethnic groups. Same thing for the men. There should be no ethnic colouration when it comes to making money.

It’s expensive to marry an Igbo woman

Nigerian women are beautiful, expensive and sophisticated. A man should be happy to marry an Igbo woman because she is not cheap. A man should be proud to provide everything on the list presented to him by the parents to show that he is a ‘man’, however, there is always room for negotiation. So, the stereotype that before you marry an Igbo woman, you need to bring an arm and a leg only applies when the groom’s family are not masters at striking a good bargain.

All Igbos have left their villages for Lagos

Lagos is the melting pot for various ethnic groups and the commercial heartbeat of Nigeria as a result, the state is bound to be peopled by different tribes. However, expressing the thought that all Igbos have emptied their various states to reside in Lagos is laughable and wrong. There are individuals who run thriving businesses in these different south-eastern states that have never visited Lagos.

http://nigerianpilot.com/5-igbo-stereotypes-every-nigerian-must-drop/

90 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Nobody: 3:26am On Mar 11, 2016
Tell them my dear, let them "ear" if they "ave" "hear".grin

146 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by fulanimafia: 3:41am On Mar 11, 2016
Really? But you want to hold fast to the stereotypes you hold for other tribes yeah?

Go and sleep.

224 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by whirlwind7(m): 3:59am On Mar 11, 2016
Cool.
There are certain stereotypes associated with major tribes all across Nigeria. Ignorance and tribal fixations are largely responsible for this.
There is nothing unusual about it, except when it's accepted as the absolute truth.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Pavore9: 4:52am On Mar 11, 2016
No single story captures any tribe,

7 Likes

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Taich(m): 4:54am On Mar 11, 2016
Igbo Amaka. Whenever I remember where am from, I feel re-energized and double my hustle. Thank u Lord for the things u have kept for me today. Am grateful and thankful.

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by blackpanda: 4:56am On Mar 11, 2016
Abeggi, everybody knows Igbos are slaves to money. Yes, there are a few exceptions but generally a typical igbo man will do anything, absolutely anything and everything, to acquire wealth! grin

108 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by kettykin: 5:12am On Mar 11, 2016
blackpanda:
Abeggi, everybody knows Igbos are slaves to money. Yes, there are a few exceptions but generally a typical igbo man will do anything, absolutely anything and everything, to acquire wealth! grin
The problem in this case does not seem to be igbos but the other tribes who despite this ugly trait of igbos will go ahead to spill the last drop of their inferior hypocritical blood in order to make sure igbos are in the same country with them.

My take is that if someone is accused of being a money worshipper by someone who feels he is not then both parties are at liberty to get away from each other.

Any thing besides this is at best a cover up for hypocrisy and false patriotism. The same Nigerians accused Ghanaians of wrecking their country and organized a Ghana must go campaign. Today it is the igbos you accuse of doing all to make money that is organizing their igbos must leave Nigeria campaign, then I tell you the problem is with you.

135 Likes 18 Shares

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by blackpanda: 5:22am On Mar 11, 2016
kettykin:

The problem in this case does not seem to be igbos but the other tribes who despite this ugly trait of igbos will go ahead to spill the last drop of their inferior hypocritical blood in order to make sure igbos are in the same country with them.

My take is that if someone is accused of being a money worshipper by someone who feels he is not then both parties are at liberty to get away from each other.

Any thing besides this is at best a cover up for hypocrisy and false patriotism. The same Nigerians accused Ghanaians of wrecking their country and organized a Ghana must go campaign. Today it is the igbos you accuse of doing all to make money that is organizing their igbos must leave Nigeria campaign, then I tell you the problem is with you.

Pls do not confuse issues. All tribes have stereotypes about then, but it is not an excuse for disintegration. So stop spreading hate. The fact that igbos love money, doesnt mean we hate them. They are our brothers and sisters, and infact their love of money can be a plus for the nation. They may love money, but they are also industrious, hardworking, courageous and provide jobs for nigeria's teeming youths.

Nigeria is here to stay!

91 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Blackfire(m): 5:22am On Mar 11, 2016
@op i feel like slapping u, if u give up or explain what makes u mysterious to your friends and FOES... U become an easy target, remember the story of the fire on the hen's head and the cat.
48 laws of power.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by 23Tunde45(m): 5:25am On Mar 11, 2016
Igbo again

38 Likes

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by kettykin: 5:43am On Mar 11, 2016
blackpanda:

Pls do not confuse issues. All tribes have stereotypes about then, but it is not an excuse for disintegration. So stop spreading hate. The fact that igbos love money, doesnt mean we hate them. They are our brothers and sisters, and infact their love of money can be a plus for the nation. They may love money, but they are also industrious, hardworking, courageous and provide jobs for nigeria's teeming youths.

Nigeria is here to stay!

Let me clarify my self again. I am neither an advocate for disintegration nor a an igbo supremacist I am simply someone who understands the under belly of what I seriously considered as Nigeria's bellicosity in hypocrisy.

An instance is how some people who just boasted of their heroism in a fanthom Civil war fought by Egyptian pilots and chadian rebels with Soviet Union military hardware to unify a country but will not raise a finger to defend the slaughtering of their brothers and sisters in their own backyard.

Mytake is that 90 perct of people with such stereotypes are the worst hypocrits in fact calling Nigerians hypocrits is an insult to hypocrits Nigerians are worse than hypocrits.

Some people accused the previous government of not building a new road and one year in a government run by him all that is to their credit is a helipad in a down run state in the north.

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by blackpanda: 5:52am On Mar 11, 2016
kettykin:

Let me clarify my self again. I am neither an advocate for disintegration nor a an igbo supremacist I am simply someone who understands the under belly of what I seriously considered as Nigeria's bellicosity in hypocrisy.

An instance is how some people who just boasted of their heroism in a fanthom Civil war fought by Egyptian pilots and chadian rebels with Soviet Union military hardware to unify a country but will not raise a finger to defend the slaughtering of their brothers and sisters in their own backyard.

Mytake is that 90 perct of people with such stereotypes are the worst hypocrits in fact calling Nigerians hypocrits is an insult to hypocrits Nigerians are worse than hypocrits.

Some people accused the previous government of not building a new road and one year in a government run by him all that is to their credit is a helipad in a down run state in the north.

Once again you are mixing up issues. What has igbo stereotype got to do with hellipad Stick to the issue. All tribes have stereotypes. Generalisation is a part of life. It doesnt mean every member of the tribe is like that, its just our way of understanding each other.

It has nothing to do with biafra or pdp or apc or building of any hellipad!

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by kettykin: 6:12am On Mar 11, 2016
blackpanda:

Once again you are mixing up issues. What has igbo stereotype got to do with hellipad Stick to the issue. All tribes have stereotypes. Generalisation is a part of life. It doesnt mean every member of the tribe is like that, its just our way of understanding each other.

It has nothing to do with biafra or pdp or apc or building of any hellipad!

Is it me that is mixing things up or you that has fails to understand that behind the stereotyping of igbos lies the worst form of hypocrisy that will make hypocrites twinge with fear even with clearly explained instances. Again I am emphasising to you that behind the stereotyping of igbos lies the worst form hypocrisy driven by false patriotism, someone accusing igbos of doing anything for money but closes his eyes to the blatant lootocracy going on in his states and the numerous ritual forests and gardens all littered in his front yard is the height and width of hypocrisy.

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by blackpanda: 6:33am On Mar 11, 2016
kettykin:

Is it me that is mixing things up or you that has fails to understand that behind the stereotyping of igbos lies the worst form of hypocrisy that will make hypocrites twinge with fear even with clearly explained instances. Again I am emphasising to you that behind the stereotyping of igbos lies the worst form hypocrisy driven by false patriotism, someone accusing igbos of doing anything for money but closes his eyes to the blatant lootocracy going on in his states and the numerous ritual forests and gardens all littered in his front yard is the height and width of hypocrisy.

Smh. You have now entered "ritual forests" and "lootocracy". My friend, go and sleep. You have nothing to say!

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by kettykin: 6:44am On Mar 11, 2016
blackpanda:

Smh. You have now entered "ritual forests" and "lootocracy". My friend, go and sleep. You have nothing to say!
Well you can continue deceiving your self and the gullible people who will believe the stereotypes ,your self conceived stereotyping of igbos is no longer working, igbos are smarter than being hoodwinked by hypocrits.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by 5starmilitant: 9:31am On Mar 11, 2016
Igbo kwenu. grin grin grin

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by hemartins(m): 9:31am On Mar 11, 2016
I'm not Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa.

I am Nigerian

10 Likes

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by trishapal(f): 9:32am On Mar 11, 2016
"Igbo" a tribe in Nigeria or Weed? Which one are you talking about?

10 Likes

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Mutuwa(m): 9:32am On Mar 11, 2016
fulanimafia:
Really? But you want to hold fast to the stereotypes you hold for other tribes yeah?

Go and sleep.

grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Nobody: 9:33am On Mar 11, 2016
I know many black Igbo girls
Igbo are not only in Lagos but everywhere
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by AyamConfidence(m): 9:33am On Mar 11, 2016
The Ibos are wonderful people...other tribes say we love money but i believe they love it too....Ibos are blessed and intelligent thats why we are sucesful in whatever adventure we engage in...we travel, we do things, our girls are decent thats why they are expensive...name it mehni love all Nigerians but i was born Igbo...and i have no regrets

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by menesheh(m): 9:33am On Mar 11, 2016
Igbos, most hated people in Nigeria by mofos who don't actually know them.

15 Likes

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by davodyguy: 9:33am On Mar 11, 2016
23Tunde45:
Igbo again
smiley wetin them do?
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by YelloweWest: 9:33am On Mar 11, 2016
Is monalisa chinda igbo?

She is not
She is ikwerre from Rivers state

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by 5starmilitant: 9:33am On Mar 11, 2016
23Tunde45:
Igbo again

A typical Ewedu & amala eater. please do the needful.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by davodyguy: 9:34am On Mar 11, 2016
menesheh:
Igbos, most hated people in Nigeria.

They made people hate them cos of their own hatred

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Nobody: 9:34am On Mar 11, 2016
Yu can't talk me into changing my mind set @ OP gerarahere !!!!!!
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by hardywaltz(m): 9:34am On Mar 11, 2016
Eziokwu
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Nobody: 9:34am On Mar 11, 2016
Thats their business.
I am a Proud Igbo anytime, anyday and anywhere. Ndewo nu o.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by hummerwise(m): 9:35am On Mar 11, 2016
menesheh:
Igbos, most hated people in Nigeria.
and where did yu get this fact from?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Chidizman(m): 9:35am On Mar 11, 2016
The Poster below me has something to say sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Installed As Grand-Patron Of Kegites Club International (Pix) / Shaheeda Sanusi Slapped A Boy And I Supported Her - Emir Sanusi / Davood Roostaei Draws Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi's Portrait In USA (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.