Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,944 members, 7,821,308 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop (43424 Views)

Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Some Nigerians Need To Drop / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by mercyville: 6:00pm On Mar 11, 2016
iamord:
pls what's the name of the book
This is from the book.It is in pdf on the net.

The first recorded case of a Nigerian smuggler transporting heroin in bulk is that of Joe Brown...
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Djmamman(m): 6:30pm On Mar 11, 2016
Chinekepikin:

5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop

There are a handful of stereotypes that Africans hold against each other and this is not surprising due to the multi-cultural structure of our society. Nigeria has over 500 ethnic groups. Among the 500, about 9 languages are extinct while only three are -Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba- leading the pack, and each one of these tribal groups have their peculiarities.

The Igbos of Southeastern, Nigeria are one of the leading ethnic groups in the country. They can be found in Enugu, Anambra, Ebonyi, Imo, and Abia. Despite these peculiarities, a handful of Nigerians have some misconceptions about this amazing ethnic group.
Jovago.com, Africa’s No 1 hotel booking portal identifies 5 stereotypes that Nigerians have about persons of Igbo extraction and offers facts that debunk them.

They know nothing but business

Let’s give it to the Igbos, when it comes to business, there is no contest. At major markets, they are dominant. In fact, in places where you do not imagine that you will find them, they are always there. But, there is more to this people than business. You find them in politics, literature, education, economy and other sectors. Late Nnamdi Azikiwe, was a businessman, first prime minister of Nigeria and a nationalist as well as a lawyer. The literary lord, the man of words and the author of the evergreen bookThings Fall Apart that made the world change their perception about African literature, late Chinua Achebe was not a businessman, same with Chiwetel Ejiofor, and also Chimamanda Adichie. The list is endless. Take it or leave it, no matter the field an Igbo Man ventures into, the business trait tails him.

All Igbo women are light skinned

There is no argument about Igbo women being light skinned but the stereotype is tagging all Igbo women light skinned which is not the case. There are chocolate, ebony, and dark skinned ladies among them. In addition, light skinned women are not restricted to Igbo women alone but it cut across all Nigerian tribes. When next you see a light skinned lady, do not make up your mind that she is Igbo!

They love ‘Ego‘ also known as ‘Money‘

Who does not love money? Money is desired by almost everyone in varying degrees. Many say you cannot date an Igbo girl if you do not have money but these preconceived notions are not entirely based on facts. Rather than singling out a particular ethnic group to castigate, this is a blanket perception for all ethnic groups. Same thing for the men. There should be no ethnic colouration when it comes to making money.

It’s expensive to marry an Igbo woman

Nigerian women are beautiful, expensive and sophisticated. A man should be happy to marry an Igbo woman because she is not cheap. A man should be proud to provide everything on the list presented to him by the parents to show that he is a ‘man’, however, there is always room for negotiation. So, the stereotype that before you marry an Igbo woman, you need to bring an arm and a leg only applies when the groom’s family are not masters at striking a good bargain.

All Igbos have left their villages for Lagos

Lagos is the melting pot for various ethnic groups and the commercial heartbeat of Nigeria as a result, the state is bound to be peopled by different tribes. However, expressing the thought that all Igbos have emptied their various states to reside in Lagos is laughable and wrong. There are individuals who run thriving businesses in these different south-eastern states that have never visited Lagos.

http://nigerianpilot.com/5-igbo-stereotypes-every-nigerian-must-drop/

That's why every Nigerian is advising them to warn those of them at home to stop coursing any trouble that will endanger their brothers in various state in Nig at large.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by mutvy: 6:35pm On Mar 11, 2016
I love these people for one thing,they are found anywhere in Nigeria. Hence, they are the true Nigerians.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Ariani: 7:06pm On Mar 11, 2016
Saladin25:

Ikwerre people hate to be called Igbo. They don't even like Igbo. I could remember when Tonto Dikeh dissed Igbo.

Another descendant of Odua spotted, displaying their stock in thread. I don't know what Ikwerres call themselves, and I sure don't care, but Tonto Dike never denied her Igbo roots.
Hear her out!

"Yoruba girls are pretty, Hausa girls are smart, but it takes an Igbo girl to win a man's heart. Yoruba girls have big heads, Hausa girls take you straight to bed. Igbo Girls are the ones you want to wed. Fulani girls can't dance, Yoruba girls can't flow, and when you want the best-looking girl, Imo State is where you go. Yoruba girls are wild, Hausa girls are fun, but when it comes to partyin, Igbo Girls are #1. Girls will be girls North, South, East and West, but an Igbo Girl will always rate the best. So any guy who reads this truly has to know, if you have an Igbo Girl, you should never let her go! "
http://www.myspace.com/africanbeauty321

3 Likes

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Ariani: 7:09pm On Mar 11, 2016
One thing is sure. Gowon, Mutala, OBJ, Buhari, IBB, Shonekan,Abacha, Abdusalami, etc, men who looted Nigeria dry, none of them are Igbo.

Yet they all looted nijeria treasury, I guess Children of Odua and Dan fodio don't like money? Okwaya? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Chima541(m): 7:51pm On Mar 11, 2016
Ur mama
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by nacaz4real(m): 8:20pm On Mar 11, 2016
lol, now you just sounded defeated, I thought you'd concour and just let it rest. Or maybe try to see the world from his point of view. He's a serious conservationist.
blackpanda:

Smh. You have now entered "ritual forests" and "lootocracy". My friend, go and sleep. You have nothing to say!
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Ebbunwa(m): 8:25pm On Mar 11, 2016
'they can be found in Enugu, Anambra, Ebonyi, Imo, and Abia'. I thought there are igbos in rivers, delta
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Ihuomadinihu: 10:35pm On Mar 11, 2016
Ebbunwa:

'they can be found in Enugu, Anambra, Ebonyi, Imo,
and Abia'. I thought there are igbos in rivers, delta
Yes,there are Igbos in both states. No matter how ikwerre people denounce igbo,they are still an Igboid group.

1 Like

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Ihuomadinihu: 10:46pm On Mar 11, 2016
Light skin is not restricted to any ethnic group, yes. However,it is interesting to note than Igbos have large number of light skin/yellow people. When you meet anyone with light coloured eyes,be it grey,blue or green,there is a great chance that he/she is igbo.
Igbos and their skin tone over the years has generated a wide array of threads and goggle search words, like ''Are igbos mixed'' , Why are Igbos lightskinned'' etc.

Some stereotypes have an element of truth in it, so it's not out of place to see an Edo girl and assume she is Igbo. It is just a trait usually associated with Igbos.

P.s It is Igbo not Ibo. People should stop corrupting the name of this ethnic group.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by chinuz(m): 12:13am On Mar 12, 2016
I love being Igbo.. Kwenu! ..O nwe ike I ga antartica I ga hu onye igbo na-ere Sweater na Firewood

1 Like

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Ngokafor(f): 1:22am On Mar 12, 2016
Saladin25:

You make me laugh. What I won't eat I don't even move closer to it. Have said my mind, I don't have problem with you people and anyone that marry your women. It is my opinion, leave me with it.
Rejected my foot! where Yoruba and Hausa-Fulani girls are.

..so you are even a muslim??..disgusting folks!!..mscheww!!..as if an Igbo woman would even marry you.Except for the ones you kidnap with juju and forcibly convert to your religion,no Igbo woman would even want to marry you anyway...so its a good thing you respected yourself and stayed on your lane.
.imagine this muslim thing,nonsense!
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by HugoChavezJr(m): 1:27am On Mar 12, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:
Light skin is not restricted to any ethnic group, yes. However,it is interesting to note than Igbos have large number of light skin/yellow people. When you meet anyone with light coloured eyes,be it grey,blue or green,there is a great chance that he/she is igbo.
Igbos and their skin tone over the years has generated a wide array of threads and goggle search words, like ''Are igbos mixed'' , Why are Igbos lightskinned'' etc.

Some stereotypes have an element of truth in it, so it's not out of place to see an Edo girl and assume she is Igbo. It is just a trait usually associated with Igbos.

P.s It is Igbo not Ibo. People should stop corrupting the name of this ethnic group.

Thanks for stating the obvious. The reason why you're the only ones that are associated with lightskinis because you guys have a large population, you're arguably the largest group in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Nobody: 5:40am On Mar 12, 2016
winj:
They know nothing but business: TRUE
Because most of the business they do are illegal, even the legal IGBO business people were criminals before making money to start legitimate ones. An IGBO is more likely to import fake goods instead of the originals because of little extra profit.
They are number one importers of contraband, fake goods, Drugs, toxic waste and contaminated substances.

All Igbo women are light skinned:
If all of them are not, they want to be but probably don't yet have the cash to achieve it. or the man to pay for it!

They love ‘Ego‘ also known as ‘Money‘:
No one on this planet apart from Jews love money more than IGBO people, they love money so much that hey are willing to die getting it.
They are known globally as "get rich or die trying". They are the only Nigerians willing to take drugs to countries like Malaysia and Thailand where the penalty is death - for ego!

It’s expensive to marry an Igbo woman:
IGBO people (and their women) are the most greedy people on the planet so of course it is expensive to marry an IGBO woman.
Many will not marry poor men unless they believe circumstances will change economically.

All Igbos have left their villages for Lagos:
The ones that are still in the village do not have the means to get to Lagos or abroad yet and they are in a holding status until they can move to Lagos or some place they can carry DRUGS to.
will you keep quiet, its like you lack home training,
both you and ur comment are worthless.

1 Like

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Saladin25(m): 6:53am On Mar 12, 2016
Ngokafor:

..so you are even a muslim??..disgusting folks!!..mscheww!!..as if an Igbo woman would even marry you.Except for the ones you kidnap with juju and forcibly convert to your religion,no Igbo woman would even want to marry you anyway...so its a good thing you respected yourself and stayed on your lane.
.imagine this muslim thing,nonsense!

Haha.... there are many Muslim brothers marrying your women. your Christian women.

The only condition why I can marry an Igbo lady is if she is from a Muslim family. Igbo Muslims but they are few. I can marry Christian but not an Igbo Christian. Never
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by SenatorJames(m): 2:59pm On Mar 12, 2016
Every tribes have their own wrong perspective, its not new.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Eke40seven(m): 5:35pm On Mar 12, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

Good points, but I would like to contest something in your argument which I also had with someone else.

Is "ibo" actually wrong or is it a corruption or just an English pronunciation of the igbo ethnic group.
To me, I feel the latter is a more appropriate answer.
Most European languages have their pronunciation for every country or ethnic group according to the phonological inclinations.
Here in Germany, they Nigeria more like "NEEGARIA". English call them Germans they call themself Deutscher. Munich here is called "Muenchen".
I know french is not called "french" in french, neither do Italians call their capital city, "Rome". Neither do italians call themself, "italian" when they are referring to their nationality in their own language.

My point exactly is, we don't have to fret when someone refer to us as "ibo", they are just refering to us in a language which is not igbo.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Ihuomadinihu: 7:42am On Mar 30, 2016
Eke40seven:

Good points, but I would like to contest something in your argument which I also had with someone else.

Is "ibo" actually wrong or is it a corruption or just an English pronunciation of the igbo ethnic group.
To me, I feel the latter is a more appropriate answer.
Most European languages have their pronunciation for every country or ethnic group according to the phonological inclinations.
Here in Germany, they Nigeria more like "NEEGARIA". English call them Germans they call themself Deutscher. Munich here is called "Muenchen".
I know french is not called "french" in french, neither do Italians call their capital city, "Rome". Neither do italians call themself, "italian" when they are referring to their nationality in their own language.

My point exactly is, we don't have to fret when someone refer to us as "ibo", they are just refering to us in a language which is not igbo.
No,that is absolutely wrong. There is nothing like ibo in igbo language and otography and that should be respected by other people. People don't decide how they pronounce your name,you rather tell people how your name is pronounced.
Ibo or ndibo is a misnomer, mispronounciation and colonial corruption of the original ethnic title. It's even more annoying when Nigerians/Africans wrongly adopt the corrupted version. The earlier corrections are made,the better. Ibo doesn't exist, even Foreigners are now using the correct term.

1 Like

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Eke40seven(m): 10:19am On Mar 30, 2016
Ihuomadinihu:

No,that is absolutely wrong. There is nothing like ibo in igbo language and otography and that should be respected by other people. People don't decide how they pronounce your name,you rather tell people how your name is pronounced.
Ibo or ndibo is a misnomer, mispronounciation and colonial corruption of the original ethnic title. It's even more annoying when Nigerians/Africans wrongly adopt the corrupted version. The earlier corrections are made,the better. Ibo doesn't exist, even Foreigners are now using the correct term.
Let's be more reasonable. I am sure you call Germans "Germans" but I can authoritatively tell you, that's not what they call themselves. You call people from france, "French", but sister that's not what they call themselves. French people don't call themselves" "French" in French language. You will only be a hypocrites calling other people names not pronounced in their own language and fighting others not to call you your own name in another language. You must accept that "ibo" is not a way of describing an Igbo person in igbo language, the sooner you understand this simple concept, the less headache for you.
The English might have used the term "ibo" because the "GB" doesn't exist in their language, and that's etymology for you. So also am I sure that Jesus wasn't called "Jesus" or "Jesu" when he walked this earth, but how many times did your Lord and Saviour turn his back to you for praying "in the name of Jesus" or "naha Jesu?"
That's language for you, you just have to understand the dynamics.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by AmuDimpka: 10:25am On Mar 30, 2016
Eke40seven:

Let's be more reasonable. I am sure you call Germans "Germans" but I can authoritatively tell you, that's not what they call themselves. You call people from france, "French", but sister that's not what they call themselves. French people don't call themselves" "French" in French language. You will only be a hypocrites calling other people names not pronounced in their own language and fighting others not to call you your own name in another language. You must accept that "ibo" is not a way of describing an Igbo person in igbo language, the sooner you understand this simple concept, the less headache for you.
The English might have used the term "ibo" because the "GB" doesn't exist in their language, and that's etymology for you. So also am I sure that Jesus wasn't called "Jesus" or "Jesu" when he walked this earth, but how many times did your Lord and Saviour turn his back to you for praying "in the name of Jesus" or "naha Jesu?"
That's language for you, you just have to understand the dynamics.

why are you incorrigible.. it's simply Igbo ...is it hard.
it was a colonial misnomer ibo,ebo ebboe etc but the right thing is Igbo
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Eke40seven(m): 11:40am On Mar 30, 2016
AmuDimpka:

why are you incorrigible.. it's simply Igbo ...is it hard.
it was a colonial misnomer ibo,ebo ebboe etc but the right thing is Igbo
May be you are the one that is close minded, unexposed and backward. The world doesn't revolve around Igbo language and pronunciation. You must understand what century we are in. if you want everybody to call you "Igbo", then you must call every other person by their name in their own language. If you have ever called someone from France, French, then you might as well accept it 100% when an English speaker call you " ibo", whether it originated from a corruption of the original word or not. And please read up the meaning of etymology, before you reply my quote.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by AmuDimpka: 12:03pm On Mar 30, 2016
Eke40seven:
May be you are the one that is close minded, unexposed and backward. The world doesn't revolve around Igbo language and pronunciation. You must understand what century we are in. if you want everybody to call you "Igbo", then you must call every other person by their name in their own language. If you have ever called someone from France, French, then you might as well accept it 100% when an English speaker call you " ibo", whether it originated from a corruption of the original word or not. And please read up the meaning of etymology, before you reply my quote.

we call spanish but the people call themselves espaniol
we call french but the call themselve franc
we call germany but the germans call themselve bavarian
you call ibo but we call ourselves igbo
you call mexico but the mexicans call themselves Mehico(Sound)
you call portugual/spainish but they call themselves iberians

Now buzz off...I am done lecturing you
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Eke40seven(m): 5:37pm On Mar 30, 2016
AmuDimpka:

we call spanish but the people call themselves espaniol
we call french but the call themselve franc
we call germany but the germans call themselve bavarian
you call ibo but we call ourselves igbo
you call mexico but the mexicans call themselves Mehico(Sound)
you call portugual/spainish but they call themselves iberians

Now buzz off...I am done lecturing you
Points of correction Mr. Lecturer, all Germans are not Bavarians, Bavaria (Bayern in Deutsch) is a region, a subgroup of Germans or also a dialect of German. Bavaria is an English word for "Bayern". Germans call themselves Deutscher.
Hehehe, I grateful, I finally knocked you into a lucid period for you to think straight for a second. The examples you reeled out emphasise exactly what I have been trying to put into your hitherto thick skull.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 30, 2016
Eke40seven:

Points of correction Mr. Lecturer, all Germans are not Bavarians, Bavaria (Bayern in Deutsch) is a region, a subgroup of Germans or also a dialect of German. Bavaria is an English word for "Bayern". Germans call themselves Deutscher.
Hehehe, I grateful, I finally knocked you into a lucid period for you to think straight for a second. The examples you reeled out emphasise exactly what I have been trying to put into your hitherto thick skull.
smh eke take it easy o grin.. Thick skull

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Shaheeda Sanusi Slapped A Boy And I Supported Her - Emir Sanusi / Throwback: The Most Bizarre Nigerian Freaky Myths Children Ever Heard (funny) / When Your Boy Friend Is The Leader Of Masquerade Group In Your Village [PHOTO]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.