Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. (797 Views)

What If God Exists? (best Post You'll Ever Come Across) / Imagine If God Talks To People As Claimed. Challenge To Christians / The Catholic Church May Be Right About Purgatory After All:near Death Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by asalimpo(m): 12:32am On Mar 12, 2016
First, this is not the case.
The Bible God is good,kind, the definition of Love and He is a Judge.
But assuming God were worse than all the evil men on the planet,
would he be wrong? No.

why?
1) God is the Creator.
God created life. Created everything good we see and feel and touch , all life. All things good.
By His right as creator, He has full legal right to all of his creation.

Imagine if you went to a shop and bought an item.
You have a receipt for the item.
You can do as you like with the item.
Nobody can come and tell you what to do with it. It is yours.
All people could say is that you were dumb, daft, uncaring etc
But it's your money. It's your labour. You can spend as you chose and do with
your possession as you like.
We accept this under the law. By the law, God would be justified to do as He likes with His creations!!!

2) God is accountable to no one.
We are so used to a democratic leadership, that we think God hood is a democracy.
First, who did God consult when creating earth?
Who did God get permission from to set the planet to rotate around the sun?
Nobody. Why? Because, God is the Highest being.
He's bound to no one and accountable to Nobody.
He could have created Hell, set fire in it. Create man.
Then put man in hell to burn for years, just for His sadistic amusement!!
And He would be right! - i mean completely legally justified.
God's word is Law!
When He said, Light be - Light became. No one, entity, force could counter or oppose Him.
When man sinned, He could have left man to be born and go to hell in their droves.
He didnt owe man salvation.
He chose to.
Because God is subject to no one, He chose to control Himself. How,
by His word. He used His word to set his standard.
He bound and specified His limits by His words.
He magnified His word above His name.

3) God is indebted to no one
We've heard of parents who brought children into the world and abandoned them
to find their way in life.
Or only trained the children up to say elementary school.
Or parents who evicted their children out of their house to fend for themselves .
They claimed that they didnt owe the children anything.
That the children were adults and old enough to take care of themselves.
In the same vein, God is indebted to nobody.
He couldve given man , created a planet and placed him in it and
very well sign out. Whatever became of man was up to man.
If man cried to God , God could warn man to stop disturbing Him, that He,God,
was through with man after He created him.
This is harsh and brutal. But, God would still be justified.
Why? Because, He is'nt legally bound to providing for man.
He isnt legally bound to helping man.
God doesnt need man. It's man who needs God.
God owes no man , health, a job, a car etc.
The only reason, why we see a benevolent , caring God in the scriptures
is because, God by nature is Love, and chose to be a helper and provider to the creatures he made.

Based on these factors, arguments about God's goodness are invalid.
Our own legal systems condemn our arguments.
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by tokiniofficial(m): 12:42am On Mar 12, 2016
owners of products take full responsibility for their products

Yes God is a creator and he's made plans for everything he created, so we're just playing our scripts here
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:16am On Mar 12, 2016
god is evil
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by Weah96: 1:58am On Mar 12, 2016
That's why ISIS and BOKO exist. They claim to be doing God's work by killing and r.aping.
But you don't agree with them. You call them liars.

1 Like

Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by Shollyps(m): 6:23am On Mar 12, 2016
yea...that's why many people believe in hell fire...n still feel okay about it that it is right for god to throw people in hell fire forever...according to Christians...only god has the right to commit crimes...lol

1 Like

Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by Annunaki(m): 7:45am On Mar 12, 2016
Well the muslim god is evil and it's clearly wrong.
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by finofaya: 7:53am On Mar 12, 2016
I guess you're finally admitting that morality with God is arbitrary, being subject to the whims and caprices of your deity. There is arguably no such thing as morals with God given that his actions have no moral value and what we call moral law issuing from God is merely a list of things God likes or dislikes at the moment, not things that have any moral value of their own.
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by asalimpo(m): 8:31am On Mar 12, 2016
Weah96:
That's why ISIS and BOKO exist. They claim to be doing God's work by killing and r.aping.
But you don't agree with them. You call them liars.
Isis is'nt of God. Not the Bible God - the true God.
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by asalimpo(m): 8:33am On Mar 12, 2016
finofaya:
I guess you're finally admitting that morality with God is arbitrary, being subject to the whims and caprices of your deity. There is arguably no such thing as morals with God given that his actions have no moral value and what we call moral law issuing from God is merely a list of things God likes or dislikes at the moment, not things that have any moral value of their own.
God can't and will not lie - isnt that morality?
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by finofaya: 8:38am On Mar 12, 2016
asalimpo:

God can't and will not lie - isnt that morality?

It is also good for God to lie. It is right, as you say.
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by asalimpo(m): 9:05am On Mar 12, 2016
finofaya:
I'm saying that morality with a "God" - any entity with the power and capability to create life , create a world etc is arbitrary by reasons i stated earlier.
Same applies to the Bible God. But the Bible God, chose to limit Himself,by Himself i.e using his Word.
Also His very nature is Holiness and Love but in the case this wasnt so, He would still be legally justified
for whatever kind of God he chose to be - good or bad.
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by finofaya: 10:09am On Mar 12, 2016
asalimpo:

I'm saying that morality with a "God" - any entity with the power and capability to create life , create a world etc is arbitrary by reasons i stated earlier.
Same applies to the Bible God. But the Bible God, chose to limit Himself,by Himself i.e using his Word.
Also His very nature is Holiness and Love but in the case this wasnt so, He would still be legally justified
for whatever kind of God he chose to be - good or bad.

The problem now is that holiness and love do not have any moral value different from that of sinfulness and hatred, given that there is no basis for choosing any one over any other and that any of them is the right choice for a God. You might as well say God's nature is full of sin and hatred.

God limiting himself therefore amounts to nothing more than saying "I believe or declare that there are good things and bad things and I will only do those things which I believe or declare to be good." The belief or declaration is not based on the actual existence of objectively good things and bad things since nothing is actually good or bad.

This brings us back to your starting point, addressing questions about the supposed goodness of God.
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by asalimpo(m): 10:51am On Mar 12, 2016
finofaya:

The problem now is that holiness and love do not have any moral value different from that of sinfulness and hatred, given that there is no basis for choosing any one over any other and that any of them is the right choice for a God. You might as well say God's nature is full of sin and hatred.

God limiting himself therefore amounts to nothing more than saying "I believe or declare that there are good things and bad things and I will only do those things which I believe or declare to be good." The belief or declaration is not based on the actual existence of objectively good things and bad things since nothing is actually good or bad.

This brings us back to your starting point, addressing questions about the supposed goodness of God.

First,the bible God is Holy. There's no evil in Him.
So He isnt full of sin.

Your argument is skewed. If there's nothing objectively good or bad, then they'd be no issue of evil.
And they'd be no basis for comparing the two and therefore no basis for criticising evil or praising good.

But if he were evil, by virtue of the fact that He is God, He is legally justified in his actions-whether those
acts are good or evil.
Much like you can buy a laptop and throw it into the fire just because it you dont like the color-stupid but
legally justified!
Wasteful but legally justified.
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by lepasharon(f): 10:56am On Mar 12, 2016
asalimpo:

Isis is'nt of God. Not the Bible God - the true God.

Who told you the Bible God is the true God?
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by asalimpo(m): 11:13am On Mar 12, 2016
lepasharon:

Who told you the Bible God is the true God?
The bible actually.
They are claims the bible makes ,satan hasn't made (you know satan is the inventor of all other religions),
because if he made them he'd be legally culpable. he ,satan, tactfully and *truthfully* ironically, desists
from making those statements so that his victim's will be without excuse when faced with the consequences
of their wrong/willful decisions.

A careful and open minded study of the bible will convince any one that that book was never and can never be man inspired.

Second, is the witness of the Holy spirit - but this will likely be over your head.

Third are real life experiences- but this is not as credible as the other two, I admit.
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by finofaya: 12:36pm On Mar 12, 2016
asalimpo:

First,the bible God is Holy. There's no evil in Him.
So He isnt full of sin.

Your argument is skewed. If there's nothing objectively good or bad, then they'd be no issue of evil.
And they'd be no basis for comparing the two and therefore no basis for criticising evil or praising good.

But if he were evil, by virtue of the fact that He is God, He is legally justified in his actions-whether those
acts are good or evil.
Much like you can buy a laptop and throw it into the fire just because it you dont like the color-stupid but
legally justified!
Wasteful but legally justified.

But if holiness has any moral value, it is an arbitrary value. God can decide to be evil and still be right, as you say. This means that being either holy or unholy have the same moral value or at best arbitrarily different moral values. God can be good even if he is full of sin, because what is good is merely provisionally good. That's why I said it doesn't make any difference to God's goodness if he is full of sin.

Your position is actually one that rules out objective good and evil since, firstly, one same action can be good or bad depending on whether it was carried out by God or man and next, an act is only bad if God says it is bad. An objectively bad thing is bad no matter who does it or decrees it. That's why I said we have come back to your starting point of addressing the supposed goodness of God.

I suppose you are now comparing laptops to human beings. God sees us as laptops, abi? Our having consciousness does not make us entitled to better treatment than laptops, does it? God is only interested in how much mightier than us he is. Since issues of legality are not appropriate to a supernatural deity I'm assuming you mean moral justification. I have to disagree that one person is morally justified in treating another person anyhow they please, even torturing and killing said person, just because one is in a position of power over the other. That is a rather psychopathic justification for bad conduct and I should be surprised that you're willing to excuse your deity with it but I know better. You're either a psychopath yourself or you're in so much fear of Yahweh, who you say is love, that all you can manage is sycophancy.
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by asalimpo(m): 2:16pm On Mar 12, 2016
finofaya:

But if holiness has any moral value, it is an arbitrary value. God can decide to be evil and still be right, as you say.

Yes. by right , i mean legally unblameable. Not morally justified.
He will be right, or justified, in the legal sense because of the power of the law and His office as "a God".
Just like you are right to use your best shirt to wipe the floor and still not be guilty.
Yow own, the shirt, you do as you like with it.
a God, owns creation. He can do as He likes with His creation.

This means that being either holy or unholy have the same moral value or at best arbitrarily different moral values.

This doesnt mean that. I'm not even implying that.
I'm expressing the authority and scope , legally , that a God can have.

God can be good even if he is full of sin, because what is good is merely provisionally good. That's why I said it doesn't make any difference to God's goodness if he is full of sin.

First, I hope you catch my argument about the entity that qualifies as a God.
The Bible God , is a God. But has qualities inherent to Him . Love, Holiness.
By His nature then, He (the Bible God) cannot be full of sin and goodness at the same time.
He , according to the bible, has no trace of 'darkness' in Him. No sin. No evil streak.

But for a God, hypothetical God here, this doesnt need to be the case.
a God could be as evil as hitler. a tyrant. and still be legally justified.
Infact, if you look at the old testament, you'll find out that an 'alternative God'
, would have wiped out the isrealites and started all over again. And that alternate
God could still be Holy and Love! suprised?
The isrealites , were showered with love,protection and deliverance. Right out of egypt,
and into the promise land. And what did they do next? set up an idol (actually satan worship).
We humans see an idol, God sees His people, bowing to His arch enemy! Dont you think that rankles?!
Think of it as your wife taunting you with her adulterous affair , right in your face and daring you to divorce her. This is the closest i can get to it.
God would have had legal grounds on that action alone to wipe out the entire people!
Their sins were ripe for judgement by that single act alone.
But He restrained Himself!

Your position is actually one that rules out objective good and evil since, firstly, one same action can be good or bad depending on whether it was carried out by God or man and next, an act is only bad if God says it is bad.
An objectively bad thing is bad no matter who does it or decrees it. That's why I said we have come back to your starting point of addressing the supposed goodness of God.

If i ruled out objective good, then i wont be able to qualify my statements with words like
wicked , wasteful etc.
I am saying, that a God, isnt legally culpable for being evil or morally bound to be good.
Two, our sense of morality, is from a standard. First our conscience.
You talk of objective good, they can be no standard of goodness or evil which all men instinctively
recognize without being taught, from mere matter.
Why then do we have a sense of goodness or evil? Because, we have a conscience and that is from God.
And God is Holy and good, that's why our conscience, built in His image, beeps when evil is done.
Even in fallen man.
But if it were an alternative God, and he were Evil, or blase, our conscience would mirror His.
We can only talk of objective good /evil (i.e untaught/unlearnt standards of morality) because
our God is good and rejoices in goodness not evil.

I suppose you are now comparing laptops to human beings. God sees us as laptops, abi?

I'm likening laptops to property. Which is what all created objects are to a creator.
It doesnt matter that the laptop is inanimate. It is still property.
By being property, the owner of the property can do with it as He deems fit.
The legal definition of property allows this. (assuming a God could be brought to trial before His creatures
legal system).

Our having consciousness does not make us entitled to better treatment than laptops, does it?

The direct rights of a property owner supersedes the demand of conscience in this matter.
Dynamism, is inadmissible.
The closest example i can make is to the way people treat their animals.
Some treat them cruelly, some outrightly torture them, some treat them like fellow humans
(including them in their wills).
But , I most societies, cruelty to an animal one owns doesnt make one legally culpable.

God is only interested in how much mightier than us he is.

The God of the bible isnt so.
But , my contrast is to show that we, who believe in God, really have it so much better.
It could've been the other way round and we would be able to make any accusation that would stick.

Since issues of legality are not appropriate to a supernatural deity I'm assuming you mean moral justification.

You are putting words in my mouth.
I said earlier. a God could do evil and be justified legally but that would make him a wicked/evil God.
How could you read such a statement and say i implied moral justification/

I have to disagree that one person is morally justified in treating another person anyhow they please, even torturing and killing said person, just because one is in a position of power over the other.

You jumped to conclusions and misinterpreted my point.

That is a rather psychopathic justification for bad conduct and I should be surprised that you're willing to excuse your deity with it but I know better.

Hey, easy man. "excuse my diety"! . what kinda statement is that!
Dont you know the difference between a scenario and a fact.
I said, a God is legally justified , even in his immorality.
I never said the God of the Bible, "my diety", is so.
The bible God, is holy and Love.
I also never said such acts, evil from a God, are right . i.e morally right.
But they are legally right. i.e He has a legal right to.

You're either a psychopath yourself or you're in so much fear of Yahweh, who you say is love, that all you can manage is sycophancy.

ha ha ha.
You couldnt divorce the possibility from the reality. You associate a hypothesis with the object compared against.

Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 12, 2016
Shollyps:
yea...that's why many people believe in hell fire...n still feel okay about it that it is right for god to throw people in hell fire forever...according to Christians...only god has the right to commit crimes...lol
Those who are not okay with hell fire are already doing the following: 1) creating escape ruth for themselves 2) issuing insultive words to God 3)disagree with his existence 4) they call good evil and evil good. This is good for them, but i will highly be disappointed if all this does not save them from hell.
Re: If God Were Evil,he'd Still Be Right. by finofaya: 3:24pm On Mar 12, 2016
You meant actual legal right. With respect to a supernatural deity. Oh well.

(1) (Reply)

I Almost Committed Suicide / Bacha Bazi: The Male Rape/sodomy Practice In Afghanistan / Can 'christians' And 'muslims' Co-exist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.