Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,622 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem (13322 Views)

Senate Wants N200 To Dollar Rate For Pilgrimages / Fayose Dresses As Bishop In Jerusalem For The Christian Pilgrimage (Photos) / El Rufai Cancels Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by IndianBwoy(m): 10:42am On Mar 13, 2016
chimkaire:
Peeps like you could get one confused, you know? Indonesia has the highest number of Muslims in the world. Haba! angry

Ok fine 2nd largest but by 2059 we wer expected to be largest.

Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by Nobody: 10:48am On Mar 13, 2016
IndianBwoy:

Whatever. Mind the information you give out. It should enlighten and not confuse cool

1 Like

Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by Siena247(f): 11:00am On Mar 13, 2016
Welcome development. Long overdue
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by lawydewy(m): 11:00am On Mar 13, 2016
Firefire:
Buhary unnecessary foreign trips should be banned immediately too.

I know,you will never fail your mouth!

firefire..........

1 Like

Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by banki(m): 11:15am On Mar 13, 2016
jonathanOz:
About time. The federal govt should follow suit.

Fedral government did that last year
So did kaduna state

1 Like

Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by caphone: 11:47am On Mar 13, 2016
That's a good call. Next
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by kolaaderin: 11:52am On Mar 13, 2016
jonathanOz:

It has been stopped by the FG since last year, Lagos is just adopting it now.
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by K9blunt(f): 11:53am On Mar 13, 2016
PentiumPro:
When are they going to ban the use of loudspeakers in churches and mosques in early part of the morning and late nights.?

Even me dey wait that ban o
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by Obiwannn: 12:21pm On Mar 13, 2016
PentiumPro:

How do you know which of the President's trip is necessary and which one is not.? You open your mouth to say a lot of trash.
who dey ur dp?
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by PentiumPro(f): 12:29pm On Mar 13, 2016
Obiwannn:
who dey ur dp?
See question. undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by surestsam(m): 12:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
PentiumPro:
See question. undecided
talk true abeg, who dey ur dp??
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by PentiumPro(f): 12:35pm On Mar 13, 2016
surestsam:
talk true abeg, who dey ur dp??
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by bluecircle470: 12:43pm On Mar 13, 2016
jonathanOz:

No be federal government 1st stop b4 Lagos state government stop?
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by mukhcech(m): 1:53pm On Mar 13, 2016
Alhamdulillah, less mad people in those Holy places.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by Obiwannn: 2:40pm On Mar 13, 2016
PentiumPro:

See question. undecided
oya answer
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by omojeesu(m): 2:41pm On Mar 13, 2016
Sense at last!
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by Adeyemi0(m): 2:59pm On Mar 13, 2016
This is a welcome development,africa is really progressing.
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by Nobody: 3:08pm On Mar 13, 2016
Great decision by LASG; the FG should follow suit.
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by Nobody: 5:21pm On Mar 13, 2016
YES!!!
Lagos, setting the standard.
If you want, visit Sango, no sponsorship for you. angry
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by Nobody: 5:23pm On Mar 13, 2016
IndianBwoy:

Hopefully Fulani herdsmen and Boko Haram Would be mercy on us insha Allah cry
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by bola09: 5:50pm On Mar 13, 2016
The whole notion that there are places on earth that are holier than our own land demonstrate the debt of inferiority complex of our people; starting from the head. I hope a day will come when we will be able to summon enough courage to view ourselves and our heritage, inperfect as they are, as nonetheless not inferior to non scientific imported culture and heritage.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by blackbeau1(f): 12:56pm On Mar 20, 2016
[quote author=PentiumPro post=43726843]

Imagine how a "human being" is reasoning. undecided[/quote at least I am 'reasoning'. Using my brains. R you?
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by PentiumPro(f): 1:18pm On Mar 20, 2016
blackbeau1:
You and brain in same sentence? You are mistaken.
You can't even quote intelligently for christsake!
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by superstar1(m): 1:42pm On Mar 20, 2016
xage:
It is not of equal impact Islam & xtianity, it is a commandment for the former but only a tourism for the later

So, the decision is targeted and well aimed by the dumbo cross worshippers

Crescent worshipper how stup1d can you be?

Have you entered into the plane going to mecca and medina with your hard earned money and you were queried for it?

If it is obligatory in your religion, let your Allah provide the money for you to go to where he commanded you to see before your death. If he cannot provide for you, that is your headache and his wahala too.

No to usage of tax payers money to sponsor pilgrims to God knows where. The more the sponsorship of this frivolity, the higher our corruption-meter keeps reading RED. Others should come from other parts of the world to worship our African deities too or they should attend the churches and mosques in Nigeria too.
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by Nobody: 1:49pm On Mar 20, 2016
LastMumu:
Can they please postpone this their ban? I have made serious plans on going to Mecca this year and have been banking heavily on the grant support from the state government to actualize my dream. undecided
LastMumu, do I know you?
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by enlightenedmind: 1:51pm On Mar 20, 2016
sorepco:
Lagos bans sponsorship of pilgrimages to Mecca, Jerusalem

Written by: Bola Badmus-Lagos 

Lagos State government said it has finally banned state sponsorship of Muslims and Christians pilgrims who embark on pilgrimages to Mecca in Saudi Arabia or Jerusalem in Israel, saying it considered it the most irresponsible way of spending tax payers' money.

The state Commissioner for Home Affairs, Honourable Abdulateef Abdulhakeem, disclosed this when members of the Lagos State House of Assembly Committee on Home Affairs, led by Honourable Olayiwola Olawale, paid a visit to the ministry in furtherance of their oversight function.

Abdulhakeem said the government decided to ban the sponsorship because it amounted to injustice for certain individuals to continue to benefit from the government to the detriment of other members of the society.

The commissioner, who said part of his ministry's mandate is the supervision of the Pilgrims Welfare Board, recalled that recently, the governor and the state executive council approved a policy for the state to stop sponsorship of pilgrimages, declaring that the step was in line with the policy thrust of the government and what the state House of Assembly also speaks to.

"In this day and time when we are talking about paucity of funds coupled with inhibiting challenges that the government has to take care of, we can no longer afford to spend the sum of one million on one single individual to go on pilgrimage when the scripture did not compel anyone to do so.

"So, it is most irresponsible way of spending tax payer's money. That is why the government has taken a solid decision, that we will be accountable and responsible for every kobo that the tax payers pay to the government. It is an injustice for the government to be spending millions on group of people when millions of Lagosians are yearning for government's attention," he said.

The commissioner also disclosed that the state government had commenced the process of gathering data of religious organisations and their locations in the state, to be able to set standards, give orientation and provide security for them.

Abdulhakeem, who noted that there was a symbiotic relationship between the executive and the legislative arms of government in the state, expressed appreciation to the state House of Asembly for the quick passage of the 2016 Budget.

"Your resolution is a compulsion, it is not advisory. Even your motion that Mile 12 Market should be relocated to another area is being considered by the state government. The Ministry of Home Affairs has been restructured and some of its duties have been given to other MDAs."

The chairman of the Lagos State House of Assembly Committee on Home Affairs, Honourable Olayiwola Olawale, in his response, described the decision of the government as laudable, saying the House was ready to back the decision with the necessary legislation.

He stated that the visit of the committee to the ministry was homecoming, adding that the commissioner was a man of integrity, adding that the committee would work hand-in-hand with the ministry.

"The speaker of the House and other principal officers send their greetings. We are here to perform our oversight functions and we are ready to work with the ministry to achieve success.

"I commend the pro-active posture of the ministry as enumerated by the commissioner. We are happy with the steps being taken by the ministry to ensure religious harmony in the state. We will also support this with the necessary

http://odili.net/news/source/2016/mar/11/616.html

At least there is hope. One state in Nigeria has a brain. THANK YOU LAGOS. I am moving to lagos when i come back home.
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by enlightenedmind: 1:53pm On Mar 20, 2016
IndianBwoy:

And look at the countries on the list, they have one thing in common, Low economic growth and poverty
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 20, 2016
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by Nobody: 8:35pm On Mar 20, 2016
LastMumu:
How'd _fuck am I supposed to know if you know me? Do I know you too? undecided
I want to make a guess as to your previous moniker

Can I grin
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by Nobody: 8:47pm On Mar 20, 2016
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by Nobody: 8:49pm On Mar 20, 2016
LastMumu:
What previous moniker, I ain't got no previous moniker. But you can still give it your best shot. grin
Lol you know what gave you away? The passive-agressive behavior, the sections you visit and the monikers you are following grin same as before grin
Re: Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem by Nobody: 8:57pm On Mar 20, 2016
THEY WILL CALL THIS ISLAMIZATION OF LAGOS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Moves To Revive Cotton, Textile Industries / Obaseki: End Godfatherism In Edo With This 2020 Governorship Election / Maiduguri Residents Commend Satomi For Subsidising Fuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.