Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,026 members, 7,799,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:56 PM

2d Animaton Learning Thread - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 2d Animaton Learning Thread (34968 Views)

Learn 2D Animation in Nigeria With Naijacartoon / Let's Talk About 2D And 3D Archviz / Freelance Architectural visualisation 2D and 3D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by naijatoonz: 1:09am On Mar 14, 2016
Walk cycle animated in flash will post the workflow, formular and screen shots of how it was animated using stick figure later. These are just the key frames and breakdown no inbetweens.

1 Like

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 1:38am On Mar 14, 2016
naijatoonz:
Walk cycle animated in flash will post the workflow, formular and screen shots of how it was animated using stick figure later. These are just the key frames and breakdown no inbetweens.
this is nice, walk cycle is one of the basic movements a beginner must get to understand be it frame by frame or cut out style. I'll discuss on the basics of computer graphics, and important terminologies later today like the keyframes you just mentioned because i'm sure some might not know what you mean. Keep the tutorials coming. Flash was the first 2d animation app i started with but left it for toonboom a shortwhile later.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by Kunle106(m): 8:20am On Mar 14, 2016
chubbyswit:
ur processor been less than that wont be much of a problem bro
thanks bro, will download and keep tab
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 2:20pm On Mar 14, 2016
COMPUTER GRAPHICS DEFINITION
Computer Graphics can be defined as follows
1. They are pictures and movies created using the computer.
2. Image data created by a computer specifically with help from specialized software. It is also referred to as computer generated imagery.
3. Representations or manipulation of image data by a computer or various techniques used to create or manipulate images.
4. 4. The sub-field of computer which studies methods for digitally synthesizing and manipulating visual content. And so many other definitions.
Categories is 2D and 3D but the sole purpose of this thread is to fully understand the former
There are numerous functions and uses of CG which include
User interface design, sprite graphics, vector graphics, image editing and manipulation, motion graphics, architectural visualizations, digital art, animations, video games, web design and development, education, medical and scientific simulations, virtual reality, product packaging, graphic design, computer aided design (CAD) etc. Now our focus will be on the 2D aspect of the bolded.
I have already mentioned the apps that’ll be convenient for me lols. But of course others like[b] DerrickM[/b], naijatoonz and others who’re still to come can definitely bring In their own workflow and willingly and freely teach others right here on this thread.
I’ll briefly discuss on the important 2D animation terminologies that we’ll be coming across as the thread kick off in my next post
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 2:24pm On Mar 14, 2016
naijatoonz:
i like the way you sketched the movement of that character. For those of us that doesnt know the method used on that walk cycle above, it is called frame by frame or traditional method of animation. Naijatoonz basically drew each particular step to form series of steps that brought about the movement of that character. Nice one bro
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 2:27pm On Mar 14, 2016
IMPORTANT TERMINOLOGIES
Frame: One exposure of filmstrip (check out my picture illustrations)
Rotoscope: This simply means to trace a life action footage frame by frame. For example you recorded the video of your friend eating food, you can transfer the video to your computer import it into toon boom app and trace the movement of your friend in the imported video to create your own character also eating. It can be any character design of your choice. Disney animators and other traditional animators take a good advantage of this method. A graphic tablet is very crucial for this style of animation.
Extremes: [/b]The beginning and ending of an animation also called key poses or key frames (check out my picture illustrations)
[b]In-betweens:
The drawing that takes an action from one extreme point to another. (check out my picture illustrations)
Scene: [/b]Continous action in a single location
[b]Sequence:
A collection of individual scenes that tell a specific part of the story

[img][/img]

Picture illustrations of extremes, frames and in-betweens

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 2:37pm On Mar 14, 2016
images for cut out method of animation is shown below (see definition of cut out animation on my first post)
source: Google images

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 2:57am On Mar 15, 2016
I'll briefly explain the twelve principles of animation which any professional animator employs or must employ in his/her own workflow in the next post later in the day. For an interesting and fluid animation these principles need to be harnessed in any animation workflow be it 2d or 3d, so we'll have to discuss how important these principles are. You can search for the animators survivor kit and get the book although some of us do not like reading lolz. But the twelve principles where extensively explained in that book and its a must ve for any animator.

1 Like

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:41am On Mar 15, 2016
THE 12 PRINCIPLES OF ANIMATION
1. TIMING: It is the speed at which something moves, and that speed can give it some features example the way an eye blinks can show moods e.g a lady winking the eyes can show a flirtatious mood, how fast a car is moving can show the different moods the driver is in e.g if a car is moving fast it can either show that there is emergency and the driver is tensed or he is drunk and in a merry mood, the car moving slowly can also show that the driver is in a relaxed mood etc.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:42am On Mar 15, 2016
2. EASE IN AND OUT: it means causing an object to accelerate or decelerate or come to rest from a pose e.g a rolling object tend to slowly come to a halt with time or a ball droped from a height moves slowly at first but starts decelerating fast with time until it hits the ground because of gravity.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:43am On Mar 15, 2016
3. ARCS: Almost all action move in arcs in real life. Motions follow a curved path most times rather than in linear paths.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:44am On Mar 15, 2016
4. ANTICIPATION: Action in animation usually occurs in three sections. The setup for the motion, the actual action and then follow through of the action. The first part is the anticipation.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:45am On Mar 15, 2016
5. EXAGGERATION: It is used to accent or over emphasize an action. The purpose is to animate something to the extreme in order to give it more life, action and comic relief.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:46am On Mar 15, 2016
6. SQUASH AND STRETCH: It is a way of deforming an object to show how rigid or flexible the object is. E.g a ball flattens or squashes when it hits the ground and stretches when it starts to bounce off from the ground. An object should still be able to retain its volume after deforming.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:48am On Mar 15, 2016
7. SECONDARY ACTION: They’re actions that are not necessary but help to add more interest and realism in animation. E.g a character looking at his watch while walking down the road, a character whistling while washing cloth etc.
8. FOLLOW THROUGH AND OVERLAPPING ACTION: It is like anticipation just that it is the final action that takes place prior to a major action like the arm and feet coming back to rest after throwing a ball.
9. STRAIGHT AHEAD AND POSE TO POSE ACTION: straight ahead action is one where the animator draws or sets up objects one frame at a time in order. E.g the animator draws frame by frame sequentially until the action is complete while in pose to pose action, the beginning and end frames are drawn first the in betweens are created to fill in the gaps.
10. STAGING: The way an action in a scene is organized so that it will look interesting and understood.
11. APPEA[/b]L: Means anything that a person likes to see. It can be the the way a character is designed or animated, or the environment design.
12. [b]SOLID DRAWING
: Simply means drawing a clean line work of a character or object.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:55am On Mar 15, 2016
In the next tutorial, i will give a little motion to the female character sketch i made below. from the design process, how i combined frame by frame and cut out style of animation in its workflow. And also point out the principles of animation that it employed in its creation. i used just Photoshop to do the concept art. its going to be just 3-4seconds of animation anyway.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:29pm On Mar 15, 2016
Kunle106:
thanks bro, will download and keep tab
i would recommend u download animate pro or harmony
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by Polarbite(m): 11:43am On Mar 16, 2016
GOD bless u Chubby 4 doing dis FREE! I am so learning alot even tho i dnt nderstand alot of dem.lol.I wish artists who are in2 comic in Nigeria cud do sth lyk dis on NL.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by reidkrugger(m): 1:44pm On Mar 16, 2016
chubbyswit:
In the next tutorial, i will give a little motion to the female character sketch i made below. from the design process, how i combined frame by frame and cut out style of animation in its workflow. And also point out the principles of animation that it employed in its creation. i used just Photoshop to do the concept art. its going to be just 3-4seconds of animation anyway.

You might want to check on the toes of the lead leg again before you proceed, oh and maybe the ankle and knee angle.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 2:09pm On Mar 16, 2016
reidkrugger:

You might want to check on the toes of the lead leg again before you proceed, oh and maybe the ankle and knee angle.
this is just a concept art that i want to use for my next demonstration, i wasnt trying to be precise or perfect when i was sketching it so yea it shouldnt be perfect. Thanks for pointing it out though. Hope to see more of ur contributions.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by reidkrugger(m): 2:34pm On Mar 16, 2016
chubbyswit:
this is just a concept art that i want to use for my next demonstration, i wasnt trying to be precise or perfect when i was sketching it so yea it shouldnt be perfect. Thanks for pointing it out though. Hope to see more of ur contributions.

The drawing in itself is not perfect so "perfect" isnt what i'm talking about. So far u've listed principles and prior to applying that is knowing how to draw. Ankles and toes are just as important to d leg just as the nose is to the head. So, u r telling me that drawing d nose upside down or sideways can be regarded as a concept art? I dont think so. It was a mistake, say yes it was and move on, simple. U've got a lotta ppl reading this u know n they r all not newbies.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 4:56pm On Mar 16, 2016
reidkrugger:

The drawing in itself is not perfect so "perfect" isnt what i'm talking about. So far u've listed principles and prior to applying that is knowing how to draw. Ankles and toes are just as important to d leg just as the nose is to the head. So, u r telling me that drawing d nose upside down or sideways can be regarded as a concept art? I dont think so. It was a mistake, say yes it was and move on, simple. U've got a lotta ppl reading this u know n they r all not newbies.
I'm not here to teach people how to do a perfect drawing but rather to enlighten them on different animation workflows. I don't see any reason why you should be bothered on how perfect the drawing is. But hey nothing is perfect in this life especially cartoon characters. Please try do more positive contributions to make the thread more lively bro

1 Like

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 5:16pm On Mar 16, 2016
Below is a GIF of a very short animation of the character i designed above as our concept for the illustrations that is to come. The character has to be redesigned in toon boom studio so that i'll be able to manipulate it fully and also add a painted background rather than use a gradient like the concept above. Also we can notice that there was no form of rendering (shadows and highlights) on this animation just like the one above as this will take more time to prepare this character. NB: will talk more on enhancing a character with 2D rendering as we move on. Notice that the animation is very low in terms of quality and that because i used a very low resolution (400 by 220) to reduce the size to fit nairaland image limit, otherwise the animation was rendered in full 1920 by 1080 HD video resolution. (will talk more on this later) This animation is not meant to impress anyone but to serve as an illustration for what is to come.

1 Share

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 5:45pm On Mar 16, 2016
ok here are the body parts which was drawn individually as a cut out and glued together to form the character. In the GIF above, the cape animates and blows with the wind. but frame by frame drawing of the cape was created in order to simulate that movement. we can see that most of the body parts where drawn together except the hands, head and facial features, this is because i didnt have any intention of moving those parts that where not drawn separately like the legs. this is the basis of cut out animation. the more parts you need to animate e.g earrings, eyes, hands, head etc, those parts must be drawn seperately. Please comment your questions and contributions if possible. Someone should also endeavor to direct me on how to upload animated gifs here so that people can see the animation.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 6:00pm On Mar 16, 2016
The Character Ada (thats what i call her) together with the background i designed also in Photoshop to make the animated short complete. Photoshop will be the essential tool that we'll be using for all our background/environment designs as it gives us more flexibility. But ofcourse all these things can also be done in just toon boom but not as good as photoshop. Its also essential to have a reference when designing your character or background for example i took my reference for the environment design in the second image below.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 6:42pm On Mar 16, 2016
Step by step process leading to this animation coming up in my next subsequent posts. We'll also use that opportunity 2 learn alittle about toon boom studio before switching over to harmony for future animations.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by naijatoonz: 8:17pm On Mar 16, 2016
Nice one chubby keep them coming I have gained alot from your tutorial. The walk cycle I posted earlier is a gif video. I think you exported the animation as a gif image rather than video please recheck the format wanna see the animation. I am happy you are teaching cut out I have always been a tradigital person I see this as an opportunity to learn something new. Traditional animation is so so so tideous though if its done well its one of the most appealing form of animations.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 11:43pm On Mar 16, 2016
naijatoonz:
Nice one chubby keep them coming I have gained alot from your tutorial. The walk cycle I posted earlier is a gif video. I think you exported the animation as a gif image rather than video please recheck the format wanna see the animation. I am happy you are teaching cut out I have always been a tradigital person I see this as an opportunity to learn something new. Traditional animation is so so so tideous though if its done well its one of the most appealing form of animations.
yea u're right naijatoonz. Dont know if i can upload videos here without going tru youtube links. Plz do explain more on the process, i must overcome dat challenge lolz. Exactly its very tedious but the best form of 2d animation. It gives fluid and realistic movements, this thread is all about both styles not just one.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by naijatoonz: 2:49pm On Mar 17, 2016
chubbyswit:
yea u're right naijatoonz. Dont know if i can upload videos here without going tru youtube links. Plz do explain more on the process, i must overcome dat challenge lolz. Exactly its very tedious but the best form of 2d animation. It gives fluid and realistic movements, this thread is all about both styles not just one.

There are two gif formats one is image and the other video in flash its part of the export options I don't what the arrangement is like on you tube. Wanna seek your permission to do something crazy with your character will post the animation here.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 3:16pm On Mar 17, 2016
naijatoonz:

There are two gif formats one is image and the other video in flash its part of the export options I don't what the arrangement is like on you tube. Wanna seek your permission to do something crazy with your character will post the animation here.
you're free to do that, letme see if i can change the format and try post again.
i have changed it to an animated GIF in premiere pro but still not working
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 4:21pm On Mar 17, 2016
Guys you can check the ada animation test above. Its now working

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Beautiful Ones By Njideka Akunyili Crosby Sold For 2.5 Million Pounds / Man Meets Talented Artist In Abuja Market. See What He Did Within 5 Minutes. / This Nigerian Artist’s Artworks Are So Realistic It’s Hard To Believe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.