Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,857 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

2d Animaton Learning Thread - Art, Graphics & Video (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 2d Animaton Learning Thread (35023 Views)

Learn 2D Animation in Nigeria With Naijacartoon / Let's Talk About 2D And 3D Archviz / Freelance Architectural visualisation 2D and 3D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 5:42pm On Mar 18, 2016
Sorry i ve not been able to post for sometime now. I have a couple of projects at hand but'll try to do updates from time to time. So looking at our very short animation above, we can see that ada came to life by a combination of frame by frame and cut out, this two methods is most of d time employed in same project by professionals in order to reduce the stress and length of time animation consumes. The production of the character started by first sketching out the form in toon boom with the drawing tools located at the left side of the, then drawing a line work of the different body parts on its own layer, painting it, and then rigging the different body parts, nb: the blinking of the eyes was drawn frame by frame just like the cape and the flame. More detailed explainaitions with Picture illustration coming up tomorrow.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by Kunle106(m): 5:30pm On Mar 19, 2016
@chubbyswit thanks for the tutorial.... i think think am getting to learn one or two things about 2d animation but i still find it complicated though. and what i noticed is that one must know know to use photoshop before talking about 2d animation
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 6:10pm On Mar 19, 2016
Kunle106:
@chubbyswit thanks for the tutorial.... i think think am getting to learn one or two things about 2d animation but i still find it complicated though. and what i noticed is that one must know how to use photoshop before talking about 2d animation
photoshop gives animators the ability to design beautiful and more realistic backgrounds, objects and even characters with the help of its numerous tools that you cant find in an animation software, otherwise you can still do all those things in an animation software like toon boom but not as good as photoshop. E.g take a look at the background of where ada is standing, you'll see how good the environment is, such cant be achieved in toon boom, another e.g, compare ada that i designed with photoshop and the one i did with toon boom and see the difference.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:07am On Mar 21, 2016
Let’s take a look at the character design process. I started by drawing the character using the drawing tools located at the side bar. I use three circles below to illustrate how a character or object can be drawn in any toon boom software. Toon boom software is a vector program unlike Photoshop which is a raster based program. Vector programs allow artworks drawn in them to be scaled to any size or length without losing its quality and vice versa for raster. There are basically two drawing tools in toon boom, the pencil and brush tool. The difference is that the former has a central vector line and can be scaled uniformly through the Bezier points (more on this later) but the later does not. I used the brush tool to draw the circles. Now a drawing cannot be coloured If there are any open gaps as indicated by circle 2. So we must make sure that all our gaps in our drawing are all closed before proceeding to add colour as seen in circle 3.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:08am On Mar 21, 2016
Now let’s use another scenario in the image below to illustrate how we can colour a circle with an open gap although it’s not really open. We can use the k key to toggle between the invisible mode and normal mode. The invisible mode allows us to see the lines that can otherwise not be seen with the naked eye. Just like not being able to see an invisible person. We use this mode to close gaps that will still appear to be there but really closed by an invisible stroke line. We can then add colour to our artwork without being bothered of open gaps.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:09am On Mar 21, 2016
Let’s toggle our circle from the normal to invisible mode by pressing the k key and locate the stroke line tool by going to the toolbar as indicated on image below and draw a line to connect the two open gaps causing them to be closed. We can now use our paint bucket tool to fill the circle with colour and return to the normal mode.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:09am On Mar 21, 2016
The result is as shown in image below. Notice that there was no solid black line on the area the stroke line was applied? This is because stroke lines are invisible lines just what I was trying to explain. We’ll see how this was applied in our drawing later.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:10am On Mar 21, 2016
The Image below shows ada’s upper hand with gaps that were able to be filled with colour because there was an invisible stroke line connecting both sides of brush lines together. This method is a must for cut out characters to enable all the body parts blend seamlessly so that there won’t be any weird and unnatural brush lines on the artwork as we’ll see later.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:11am On Mar 21, 2016
The Image below shows ada’s upper hand in invisible mode revealing the stroke lines and how they connected perfectly with both brush lines indicated by the points.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:12am On Mar 21, 2016
See how the upper arm connects perfectly with the lower arm with the help of the stroke lines in the image?

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:13am On Mar 21, 2016
The same approach was used in the other parts of the body below

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:15am On Mar 21, 2016
The cape was drawn frame by frame which is very tedious but more realistic than cut out style. The onion skinning tool allows us to see our previous drawing which is indicated by the red outlines in the diagram below. The onion skinning tool in toon boom studio allows us to see a maximum of the previous three drawings or the next three drawings. You can ask me more questions on this if you don’t understand. This is where extremes and inbetweenings are done (refer back to terminologies in our previous pages).

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:16am On Mar 21, 2016
Each frame of the cape’s drawing was colored individually (tedious right?). a frame is individual blocks indicated by an arrow in the figure below and so on.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:19am On Mar 21, 2016
next is the rigging process but lets briefly explain the term before we proceed in subsequent lessons

Rigging
It is the art of attaching virtual joints to an artwork or model so that it will be used to simulate movement or motion during animation of that character. And we do this in toon boom studio by using what we call pivots points, these pivot points act as joints that can mimic an actual real life joint in terms of rotation. Let’s see the different parts of the body that has joints in the figure below

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by Polarbite(m): 7:59pm On Mar 21, 2016
I nid sum1 2 sit me dwn wit a system and teach all dis! It is hard 2 understnd bt i'm enjoying it.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by Polarbite(m): 8:01pm On Mar 21, 2016
@chubbyswit how can i download dis photoshop nd toon boom pls?
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:21pm On Mar 21, 2016
Polarbite lolz it'll be easier for you to understand if you have those apps, you can get them from torrent sites, or any software store near you, better still you can buy it from their respective websites if u can do that. Keep following and ask questions whenever
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 1:12pm On Mar 22, 2016
check out this short animation people and criticize it but don't forget to like and share it on youtube for others to see, also subscribe, its free so dont panic lols. maybe we'll briefly go through the workflow of this one when I'm through with the current workflow we're on.
[
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otfSeqYagDM]

3 Likes

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 8:40pm On Mar 25, 2016
have been busy for time guys, but'll update as soon i have the time, but you can drop your questions incase you have any. To be answered when i get back
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by macaranta(m): 12:17am On Mar 26, 2016
Teach online using the website in my signature
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:57am On Mar 26, 2016
macaranta:
Teach online using the website in my signature
might start up a class over there soon enough. Thanks for the info
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by macaranta(m): 1:09pm On Mar 26, 2016
chubbyswit:
might start up a class over there soon enough. Thanks for the info

Cool,we'll support you all the way.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by Kunle106(m): 1:22pm On Mar 26, 2016
still can't install harmony on my system
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 3:10am On Mar 27, 2016
Kunle106:
still can't install harmony on my system
did u get it from a local store or u got it from online?
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by Kunle106(m): 8:08am On Mar 27, 2016
chubbyswit:
did u get it from a local store or u got it from online?
from online
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:15am On Mar 27, 2016
Kunle106:
from online
then you should ve a key provided to you by them if you downloaded from their site after payment, and if not, then you should ve a crack folder inside the installation folder you can use to make the software full version if you got it from a torrent site. It should be able to install unless the executable file has a problem. Which version of windows're u using
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by Kunle106(m): 10:49pm On Mar 27, 2016
chubbyswit:
then you should ve a key provided to you by them if you downloaded from their site after payment, and if not, then you should ve a crack folder inside the installation folder you can use to make the software full version if you got it from a torrent site. It should be able to install unless the executable file has a problem. Which version of windows're u using
the issue is not even with installing, it's been unable to login with my ID in d application.. I use win 7
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 8:16am On Mar 28, 2016
Kunle106:
the issue is not even with installing, it's been unable to login with my ID in d application.. I use win 7
where did you get it from online?
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by Kunle106(m): 9:36am On Mar 28, 2016
chubbyswit:
where did you get it from online?
from toonboom website
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 11:08am On Mar 28, 2016
Kunle106:
from toonboom website
i believe you know that its a commercial software and you saw the price tag on their website. You cant be able to use it if you dont pay for it. I suggest you use a torrent site to download if you cant go through the online payment process
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by Kunle106(m): 7:54pm On Mar 28, 2016
chubbyswit:
i believe you know that its a commercial software and you saw the price tag on their website. You cant be able to use it if you dont pay for it. I suggest you use a torrent site to download if you cant go through the online payment process
okay thanks for ur time, but how can one download on torrent site
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:45pm On Mar 28, 2016
Kunle106:
okay thanks for ur time, but how can one download on torrent site
just type toon boom harmony torrent download links with google and it should bring out torrent sites u can download from. Please also educate urself on torrents and how to use it if u dont knw dat already. Use google 2 do ur researches. I cant start teaching u dat here

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man Meets Talented Artist In Abuja Market. See What He Did Within 5 Minutes. / This Nigerian Artist’s Artworks Are So Realistic It’s Hard To Believe / Common Mistakes Most Photographers In Nigeria Make All The Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.