Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,145 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge (743 Views)

Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin Orders Unmarried Youths To Choose Each Other / Man Destroys Bible As A Revenge For Destruction Of Shrine In Anambra By A Priest / Revenge: Are You For Or Against? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge by cooltobex(m): 8:15pm On Mar 13, 2016
Admittedly, it's hard to look into the eyes of someone who has hurt you and say "I forgive you", and actually mean it. The natural human reaction to hurt is to strike
back; but that's the easy route! Everyone is capable of that, how about you try forgiveness!

Forgiveness is not natural to us humans, it's alien nature - we've become imperfect beings. It is an attitude that we have to learn and deliberately cultivate. The flawed human nature is rooted in "an eye for an eye" and "a limb for a limb", which would leave us blind and incapacitated eventually.

Why should I forgive, I have been really hurt you know? You might be thinking. Let's consider some reasons, shall we?
Contrary to what some would have you believe, forgiveness is not weakness, it's a sign of strength! As earlier highlighted, the easy route is to seek revenge - it's cheap!

Reach higher, try forgiveness! Weak people
seek revenge, they tell themselves, 'I can't help how I feel'. Strong people, yes are hurt, but take charge of their emotions, they say to themselves 'I am better than this', 'I am in control of my emotions'.
Also, when you let go of the hurt and allow the urge for revenge fizzle, and even take it a notch higher by praying for that person, you've frustrated the devil's plan! All the devil wants is to steal your joy,kill your
inner peace and destroy your relationships - never be ignorant of that. Harbouring revenge in your heart will achieve these.
Another reason we should forgive is you break the cycle of hate in the world when you do! We complain that the world is full of hate, but what do we do when we are on the receiving end of that hate? We just prove
that, indeed, the world's full of hate by inflicting pain on others in the name of revenge! What that does is that it continues the cycle of hate in the world, which could potentially consume us all. That's not to say we should allow people step on our toes, no! But our actions should never be driven by revenge.
How about you decide today that by reason of your life, there would be one less hateful person in the world who'll not repay evil with evil! How about taking a stand to try as much as possible to pour love into the world
by repaying evil with good!

Importantly also, when you forgive, you'd be emulating the perfect ways of Jesus (1 Peter 2:23) - oh, what our world would be if we all could imbibe Jesus' principles! - and, ultimately, obeying God (Romans 12:17).
Honestly, it can be difficult. Forgiveness is a big ask! But the exciting news is it's possible!
We can all attain that level of inner peace and resolve that we would not lose it over anyone and their actions!

How? We must understand that forgiveness is a sign and result of maturity - emotional, mental and spiritual! To be able to keep those boiling emotions in check, and instead, go on your knees and pour out your
heart to God over the pain only comes when you mature! And growth is the pathway to maturity; growth is a process, maturity is a state. That kind of growth is only possible with God's help. I have to be deliberate,
yes. I have to work pretty hard, yes. I have to be determined, yes. But without God's help, I've signed up for frustration. Without His help, I'd be limited. Admit you need help and look up to God. Indeed, He gives strength to the weak (Isaiah 40:29), and He'll fill your heart with love (Romans 5:5); guard your heart with peace (Philippians 4:7), and give you joy (Isaiah 61:3).

Additionally, you need a change of perspective! First, understand that humans have become flawed beings.
We are the personification of imperfection and flaws!

Also, rather than feel hate towards people who hurt you, feel compassion for them. And look for ways to try and help them. They are probably hurting, too. And remember, hurting people hurt others. Of course, that
doesn't give them the right to hurt you, but it's just what our world has become.

On a final note, you might be wondering, so people who cause others pain will go scot-free? Nah, they won't. You must understand how the world works. It is not in your place to ensure people receive the reward for their actions. The bible remarkably notes that whatever a person SOWS, same he shall REAP. The universe is governed by immutable laws, and one of such laws is the law of SOWING and REAPING. If someone has hurt you, please release them in your heart.

Do not TRAP yourself with all that negative energy. And if they refuse to become better persons, in due time they will meet their doom, with or without your intervention. So do not wait for the person to come asking for it, forgive as quickly as possible - whether
they ask or not; whether they realise and admit their faults or not. You'll be doing yourself a world of good!

DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR! Release that energy from your heart, it's negative - forgive! Yes, it's difficult, but it's possible!
---
Culled from www.stillsmallvoiceblog..com

1 Like

Re: Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge by itstpia8: 1:32am On Apr 14, 2016
Re: Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge by ifenes(m): 2:34pm On Apr 14, 2016
Re: Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge by ifenes(m): 2:35pm On Apr 14, 2016
Mercy/Forgiveness is not alien to humans. It is an act of maturity developed over time or possibly parallel several live times.
Re: Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge by itstpia8: 2:56pm On Apr 14, 2016
forgiving is actually specific to genetics.

some people find it easier to do so than others, so its not necessarily a generic thing per se.
Re: Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge by cooltobex(m): 9:53pm On Apr 27, 2016
itstpia8:

some people find it easier to do so than others, so its not necessarily a generic thing per se.

I agree forgiveness may come to some persons more naturally than others, but I don't think we can conclude that forgiving is specific to genetics.
Forgiveness can be learned and cultivated. And is a product of maturity.
Re: Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge by cooltobex(m): 10:08pm On Apr 27, 2016
ifenes:
Mercy/Forgiveness is not alien to humans. It is an act of maturity developed over time or possibly parallel several live times.

I mean "alien" in terms of it not being our natural response to hurt, it's not second nature to us. We have to be deliberate and "mature" as you rightly mentioned to attain it.

Above all, you can truly and easily forgive when you understand you've forgiven of all wrongs by God.
Re: Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge by ifenes(m): 2:07am On Apr 28, 2016
cooltobex:

I mean "alien" in terms of it not being our natural response to hurt, it's not second nature to us. We have to be deliberate and "mature" as you rightly mentioned to attain it.

Above all, you can truly and easily forgive when you understand you've forgiven of all wrongs by God.

Ok I got that. But what do you mean by being forgiven all wrongs by God? Gods are not real. Only you can forgive yourself.
Re: Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge by cooltobex(m): 10:49pm On Apr 28, 2016
ifenes:

Ok I got that. But what do you mean by being forgiven all wrongs by God? Gods are not real. Only you can forgive yourself.

You are wrong there. God is very real. I don't know what God you thought I was referring to, but I'm talking about the sole creator of the world.
Re: Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge by emmyileri(m): 8:27am On Nov 08, 2021
itstpia8:

Even though your statement might be true but as Christians we are to put on christ and have the mind of Christ.
for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Gal 3:27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4URKHvdky8g&t=14s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxiOheZe4ks&t=28s
Re: Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge by emmyileri(m): 8:28am On Nov 08, 2021
itstpia8:

Even though your statement might be true but as Christians we are to put on christ and have the mind of Christ.
for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Gal 3:27
Re: Choose Forgiveness, Not Revenge by emmyileri(m): 8:28am On Nov 08, 2021

(1) (Reply)

The Prophet Muhammad: Al-amin (the Trustworthy) By Baba Ali Mustapha / *** Have You Ever Defended GOD **** Share Your Experiences. / Pope Francis’ Remarks Disappoint Gay And Transgender Groups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.