Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,407 members, 7,819,450 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening (186754 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (36) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by HEADYWORLD: 9:22pm On Jun 20, 2017
Good evening VO, my brother was given scholarship to study in Texas and his embassy interview is scheduled 26 of this month, but the major constraint now is that we are yet to pay for his sevis fee, can he go ahead with the embassy interview without sevis fee? Or what effect does the late payment of the sevis have on his interview. Thanks on your swift response .
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 9:43pm On Jun 20, 2017
Hello HEADYWORLD. He can go ahead with the interview, but the visa cannot be issued without the SEVIS fee. Considering the $200 SEVIS fee is the smallest portion of the full cost of higher education in the US, the inability to pay it is a sign of concern for the seriousness and financial flexibility of the student.

HEADYWORLD:
Good evening VO, my brother was given scholarship to study in Texas and his embassy interview is scheduled 26 of this month, but the major constraint now is that we are yet to pay for his sevis fee, can he go ahead with the embassy interview without sevis fee? Or what effect does the late payment of the sevis have on his interview. Thanks on your swift response .

1 Like

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by man105(m): 9:51am On Jun 21, 2017
good day ,I have a question, when one just concluded NYSC and happens to go for f1 interview in space of a month after NYSC,does it require that the student must be working already ? is it compulsory?
is a month gap too much? I will be expecting a reply thank you for your time.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:22pm On Jun 21, 2017
Hello man105. There is no work requirement.

man105:
good day ,I have a question, when one just concluded NYSC and happens to go for f1 interview in space of a month after NYSC,does it require that the student must be working already ? is it compulsory?
is a month gap too much? I will be expecting a reply thank you for your time.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by DonManuel01(m): 6:50am On Jun 22, 2017
@abujaniv

Hello! Thanks for always being there to attend to our questions and concerns.
I paid my sevis fee somewhere around June last year, and appeared for interview. But I was denied on 214b grounds.
Now, I am prepared again to appear and have scheduled my interview for 1st week of July.
I hope my sevis fee is still valid? Does sevis fee ever expire?
The school said I am fine though, and can go ahead, but I just want to verify this info with the VOs here.

Thank you!
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 7:23am On Jun 22, 2017
Hello DonManuel01. The SEVIS matter is an issue managed between the Department of Homeland Security and the individual schools authorized to issue I-20 forms. For more authoritative information on that, I would have to direct you to:
https://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/faq

DonManuel01:
@abujaniv

Hello! Thanks for always being there to attend to our questions and concerns.
I paid my sevis fee somewhere around June last year, and appeared for interview. But I was denied on 214b grounds.
Now, I am prepared again to appear and have scheduled my interview for 1st week of July.
I hope my sevis fee is still valid? Does sevis fee ever expire?
The school said I am fine though, and can go ahead, but I just want to verify this info with the VOs here.

Thank you!
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by DonManuel01(m): 8:51am On Jun 22, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello DonManuel01. The SEVIS matter is an issue managed between the Department of Homeland Security and the individual schools authorized to issue I-20 forms. For more authoritative information on that, I would have to direct you to:
https://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/faq

Thanks!
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by goddeyinvolve: 5:42pm On Jun 23, 2017
Thanks VO for your information here. I got my visa approved today after the first denial in may 18.

To all, you can't play out luck in visa approval; I confirmed that today. So follow what the VO here is saying, and pray for God of luck and favour as well.

Thanks VO once again!
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Glurssymum: 1:46pm On Jun 25, 2017
Dear Abujaniv,

Thanks for the good work u are doing here.
Please I and my spouse will be going to the embassy next month for student visa interview. I will be going for F1 while he goes for F2. What documents is my spouse required to present? Thank you as I expect it response.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by amah1905: 9:24am On Jun 28, 2017
Dear Abujaniv,

Is my child's father my relative? We are not married, just co-parents. What option on the D-160 form do i pick: Other Relative, Friend OR Other?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by vickyA: 11:15am On Jun 29, 2017
Hello VO. My sister is currently in the US on a valid student visa but has found herself in a mix and doesn't know what to do. She has been in school for a over a year but due to the foreign exchange challenges, limits set by Nigerian banks etc, she could not complete her fees and had to defer a semester.
Now, my sister has got the money and wants to register for the next semester, however the school informed her that she ought to have left the US for the period she was not in school. She needs to prove that she left the country and came back before she is allowed to re-enrol. This information came as a shock to her as she neverintended to stay in the US illegally.
My question is, did she violate the terms of her student visa and if yes, are there any exceptions ? Thank you in anticipation of your favourable response
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:26pm On Jun 29, 2017
Hello Glurssymum. The only required documents are the I-20s. It is possible the visa officer may want to see evidence of financial means to support the tuition and living expenses of both adults.

Glurssymum:
Dear Abujaniv,

Thanks for the good work u are doing here.
Please I and my spouse will be going to the embassy next month for student visa interview. I will be going for F1 while he goes for F2. What documents is my spouse required to present? Thank you as I expect it response.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:32pm On Jun 29, 2017
Hello vickyA. If at any time a student falls out of status with the school (be it through bad grades, unpaid fees, etc.), then the visa is no longer valid and he/she must leave the US. Ignorance of the law is not a defense. It begs the question how your sister could afford to live in the US when she could not pay the tuition and she was not authorized for work. She should return as soon as possible, as the longer she stays, the more illegal presence she accrues, leading to higher penalties.

vickyA:
Hello VO. My sister is currently in the US on a valid student visa but has found herself in a mix and doesn't know what to do. She has been in school for a over a year but due to the foreign exchange challenges, limits set by Nigerian banks etc, she could not complete her fees and had to defer a semester.
Now, my sister has got the money and wants to register for the next semester, however the school informed her that she ought to have left the US for the period she was not in school. She needs to prove that she left the country and came back before she is allowed to re-enrol. This information came as a shock to her as she neverintended to stay in the US illegally.
My question is, did she violate the terms of her student visa and if yes, are there any exceptions ? Thank you in anticipation of your favourable response
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by vickyA: 2:24pm On Jun 29, 2017
Thank you VO for your quick response. Will tell her to do the needful
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Glurssymum: 6:53pm On Jun 29, 2017
[quote author=abujaniv post=57952978]Hello Glurssymum. The only required documents are the I-20s. It is possible the visa officer may want to see evidence of financial means to support the tuition and living expenses of both adults.

[/quote

Thank you very much VO
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Engryinka202: 3:58am On Jun 30, 2017
Dear VO,
I got a MS scholarship to study at Oklahoma. I applied for VISA last month. During the interview, the Consular Officer asked me for my MS transcript for University of Ibadan (I concluded a MS program at University of Ibadan 10th October, 2016 but the transcript is not ready for every member of my class set due to administrative issues). To my greatest surprise, the transcript is not yet ready. I was denied VISA that day. I approached the Registrar, University of Ibadan he is ready to give me a letter towards that effect. I want to reapply because my admission has been successfully deferred and I have another I20 document towards that effect. Kindly advise sir.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Jamezy4u: 8:48am On Jun 30, 2017
Dear VO,

Good morning!

Please I have I-20 to a Master of Accountancy (MAcc) programme, have booked for interview. But my confusion now is; having sent sponsor Bank statement, Letter and affidavit to school before issuing me the I-20 form, do I need to appear in the interview with another Bank Statement? Is it a required document for F-1 visa interview? And what are the likely impacts of not coming with bank statement on my chances?[b][/b] Am confused because my sponsor traveled and may not return before the interview date to give instruction to bank for the statement.

Thanks for your urgent response.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Bendererem: 9:03am On Jun 30, 2017
Dear VO
Good work you are doing.
Please a friend went for interview and was denied and somehow the VO didn't hand over his passport back to him and he left. On his way out he realised and told one of the officials to call in and they did and said his passport is not with them.
My ffiend is very certain they that the lady didn't hand him back his passport. Only his i-20 and the denial note was given to him.
Now how does he tackle this and he also plans to reapply for fall sescion if he can find the passport or get another, pls what can you advice hI'm to do to avoid being denied a second time.
Thank you
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:27pm On Jun 30, 2017
Hello Engryinka202. You may reapply if you wish, but you already know that.

Engryinka202:
Dear VO,
I got a MS scholarship to study at Oklahoma. I applied for VISA last month. During the interview, the Consular Officer asked me for my MS transcript for University of Ibadan (I concluded a MS program at University of Ibadan 10th October, 2016 but the transcript is not ready for every member of my class set due to administrative issues). To my greatest surprise, the transcript is not yet ready. I was denied VISA that day. I approached the Registrar, University of Ibadan he is ready to give me a letter towards that effect. I want to reapply because my admission has been successfully deferred and I have another I20 document towards that effect. Kindly advise sir.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:29pm On Jun 30, 2017
Hello Jamezy4u. It is quite likely the visa officer will ask to see proof of the funds to pay for your education.

Jamezy4u:
Dear VO,

Good morning!

Please I have I-20 to a Master of Accountancy (MAcc) programme, have booked for interview. But my confusion now is; having sent sponsor Bank statement, Letter and affidavit to school before issuing me the I-20 form, do I need to appear in the interview with another Bank Statement? Is it a required document for F-1 visa interview? And what are the likely impacts of not coming with bank statement on my chances?[b][/b] Am confused because my sponsor traveled and may not return before the interview date to give instruction to bank for the statement.

Thanks for your urgent response.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:31pm On Jun 30, 2017
Hello Benderererem. We don't keep passports unless we are prepared to print and issue visas. If a passport was left at the Embassy/Consulate, it will be returned to the applicant.

Bendererem:
Dear VO
Good work you are doing.
Please a friend went for interview and was denied and somehow the VO didn't hand over his passport back to him and he left. On his way out he realised and told one of the officials to call in and they did and said his passport is not with them.
My ffiend is very certain they that the lady didn't hand him back his passport. Only his i-20 and the denial note was given to him.
Now how does he tackle this and he also plans to reapply for fall sescion if he can find the passport or get another, pls what can you advice hI'm to do to avoid being denied a second time.
Thank you
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Engryinka202: 1:47pm On Jun 30, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello Engryinka202. You may reapply if you wish, but you already know that.

Dear VO, Thank you for the prompt reply. Will a letter from the Registrar or Dean of the Graduate College stating why the transcript is not yet ready serve as an alternative?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 9:18pm On Jun 30, 2017
The decision to grant or deny a visa rarely hangs on any single factor. If the visa officer asked to see the transcript, it would seem to be a reasonable requirement. Presumably your qualification for your future educational program is contingent on the completion of your previous degree. And if your previous school is unable to produce a transcript, it calls into question that institution's legitimacy.

Engryinka202:

Dear VO, Thank you for the prompt reply. Will a letter from the Registrar or Dean of the Graduate College stating why the transcript is not yet ready serve as an alternative?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by akybert: 11:08pm On Jul 01, 2017
Hello Abuja NIV,
A friend of mine was denied visa yesterday. And I don't really know what could be the cause of that. He applied for M1 visa, he paid for SERVIS fee and had received the receipt of payment. However, on his i20 , it is stated that he is on scholarship and the amount is mentioned, which cover his living expenses. And addition to that, a letter of sponsorship from a church was given to him too, what would have been the cause of his denial?
Robert
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Classic90: 2:01am On Jul 02, 2017
Dear VO,

I was denied F1 visa on Thursday. I got admission for MBA in Ashland University. All I was asked is why I am going to the US an why Ashland University? Meanwhile I was denied a B1 visa January this year. I got admission into two schools - Ashland Uni and Texas A and M but chose Ashland Uni. Is it advisable for me to switch to Texas A and M as I intend reapplying ?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:14am On Jul 02, 2017
Hello akybert. We can't diagnose individual cases on this forum. The fundamental requirements for a student visa is to be a bonafide student and able to pay the tuition and living expenses in full.

akybert:
Hello Abuja NIV,
A friend of mine was denied visa yesterday. And I don't really know what could be the cause of that. He applied for M1 visa, he paid for SERVIS fee and had received the receipt of payment. However, on his i20 , it is stated that he is on scholarship and the amount is mentioned, which cover his living expenses. And addition to that, a letter of sponsorship from a church was given to him too, what would have been the cause of his denial?
Robert
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:16am On Jul 02, 2017
Hello Classic90. We can't diagnose individual cases on this forum. Credibility, or lack thereof, established in previous applications can carry over into present-day applications. We are not educational consultants, so we can not advise you on your own choice of schools.
Classic90:
Dear VO,

I was denied F1 visa on Thursday. I got admission for MBA in Ashland University. All I was asked is why I am going to the US an why Ashland University? Meanwhile I was denied a B1 visa January this year. I got admission into two schools - Ashland Uni and Texas A and M but chose Ashland Uni. Is it advisable for me to switch to Texas A and M as I intend reapplying ?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Ndawe(f): 8:50am On Jul 03, 2017
Good morning VO I'm currently reviewing my DS-160 form in preparation for submission and there's a question which asks if your U.S Visa has ever been cancelled or revoked? Now, after I renewed, one of my previous B1/B2 visas was stamped with "cancelled without prejudice" upon its expiration and subsequent renewal. So which is the appropriate answer to the question now, do I answer no cancellation or yes cancelled without prejudice and explain in the box provided?
cc: abujaniv
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (36)

Dv Lottery 2012 Winner Meet Here / Adventure In Ireland / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.