Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,113 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:11 AM

FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy (9907 Views)

Nationwide Blackout Imminent As Power Generation Falls Below 3,000MW / Amaechi's Claims On Recession Under Jonathan, 7,000MW Under PMB False – TheCable / Nigeria Hits 5,000MW Power Generation Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by codemaniacs: 8:56am On Mar 17, 2016
Kenchukky:
Do we even understand the consequences of Nuclear power generation. We cannot manage small safety issues in Nigeria and we want to venture into nuclear energy. The hazard from sourcing, use and waste management is something we are presently not capable of handling. Do a check of the developed countries who use this as source of energy and see incidents that have happened in the past and see if we have the capacity to manage such incidents. Ordinary flood was a herculean task no talk of nuclear disaster. The coal in Enugu can generate energy enough to serve the entire country. I just pity the state where the nuclear plants would be sited. they can site them in Borno or Ogun

enugu coal will never be utilised by the fg because its in the SE. only the igbos can use it. the moment the igbos start trying to build it the fg would look for ways to sabotage it.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by cardoctor(m): 8:57am On Mar 17, 2016
White elephant project in the making.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by GreatEngineer(m): 9:00am On Mar 17, 2016
We have coal,
We have vast natural gas,
We have water (hydro),

If we are serious as a country, why can't we generate enough power from these three sources.
Now we are talking of nuclear power plant when we can't even maintain hydro power plant. Hope we are not thinking of setting another time bomb in this country. Boko haram are still in operation.
Not in support of this because we are not ready as a country to manage nuclear plant though it is one of the best form of power generation.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by bejeria101(m): 9:04am On Mar 17, 2016
Dis una chains govt tire me 4k megawatt frm nuclear? Do u knw what nuclear is? Oh i forgot una no go school.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by mamaafrik(m): 9:06am On Mar 17, 2016
mrvitalis:
There only way out of this mess of light problem is
1) have a good gas master plan that would take gas to industrial Clusters... so that big companies can produce there own power supply
2) try to use all our resources in the hydro generation ( Brazil generated over 120000 mw from hydro why can't we get 20000 from ours)
3) the main power supply to the national grid should be based on coal fired plants this has the potential of giving us over 100000mw if well planned
4) a country as populated as ours on this small area of land must go nuclear.. .. We must build nuclear power plants to be able to generate 40% of our power out put, we have uranium and to get 10% to 15% enrichment required for the plant won't be hard.... we also have the brains, we have the Rivers
5) geothermal is also something I would advise but I honestly don't know our potential in this part.. .. for me I see it as the future
nice contribution,we dont have any agile geothermal sources.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by Vince77(m): 9:06am On Mar 17, 2016
mrvitalis:
1) have a good gas master plan that would take gas to industrial Clusters... so that big companies can produce there own power supply
2) try to use all our resources in the hydro generation ( Brazil generated over 120000 mw from hydro why can't we get 20000 from ours)
3) the main power supply to the national grid should be based on coal fired plants this has the potential of giving us over 100000mw if well planned
4) a country as populated as ours on this small area of land must go nuclear.. .. We must build nuclear power plants to be able to generate 40% of our power out put, we have uranium and to get 10% to 15% enrichment required for the plant won't be hard.... we also have the brains, we have the Rivers
5) geothermal is also something I would advise but I honestly don't know our potential in this part.. .. for me I see it as the future
And u tink they dont know all these? They just wont do it. Someone at the top is probably making huge cash from power outage.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by 989900: 9:08am On Mar 17, 2016
I just don't like this nuclear energy thing.
It's faster to get going and cheaper comparatively, but the hazards . . . especially with a relatively unstable/insecure country as ours, with unpatriotic souls.

1 Like

Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by babestella: 9:09am On Mar 17, 2016
Our generation cap is about 7000MW, right now we generate less than 1600MW, our transmission capacity is about 4000MW.
Even if we use nuclear power to generate 4000MW, how do we transmit same, I think our focus should be more with maximizing our current generation cap while expanding our transmission capacity, I hate when people put carts before the horse just to make news & speak English.

3 Likes

Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by codemaniacs: 9:09am On Mar 17, 2016
GreatEngineer:
We have coal,
We have vast natural gas,
We have water (hydro),

If we are serious as a country, why can't we generate enough power from these three sources.
Now we are talking of nuclear power plant when we can't even maintain hydro power plant. Hope we are not thinking of setting another time bomb in this country. Boko haram are still in operation.
Not in support of this because we are not ready as a country to manage nuclear plant though it is one of the best form of power generation.

All the resources u mentioned can't be found in the north... So it will not be considered.

Only southerners can develop those things but the fg will looks for ways to sabotage it or make sure it favors the north.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by banio: 9:10am On Mar 17, 2016
That is my area of interest. FG call me in
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by Prdo: 9:12am On Mar 17, 2016
I think this is a plan for post-Buhari era and about 20 to 30 years to come. Although, this has the potential to to supply much of our needed power, it may not be the best way to go as a country, bearing in mind our nature (at this time) as a people in terms of maintenance culture.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by 989900: 9:12am On Mar 17, 2016
babestella:
Our generation cap is about 7000MW, eight now we generate less than 1600MW, our transmission capacity is about 4000MW.
Even I we use nuclear power to generate 4000MW, how do we transmit same, I think our focus should be more with maximizing our current generation cap while expanding our transmission capacity, I hate when people put carts before the horse just to make news & speak English.

Transmission is a big problem, and I agree with you, it should be tackled first.

I also think the laws need to be amended to fast track generation and transmission.

1 Like

Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by magicminister: 9:13am On Mar 17, 2016
this is impossible!
An engineer from Harvard university to me that:
For you to run a nuclear plant, you need to have an already stable power supply which would be used to power up the nuclear core.
When the nuclear core has been powered up and running steadily, you can then re-channel its energy into the nation's transmission grid.

Right now, Nigeria cannot safely maintain a nuclear power plant.

1 Like

Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by Nobody: 9:14am On Mar 17, 2016
bikonu, I dey beg una make una forget this nuclear power generation. grin We hv failed to maintain basic infrastructures like stomach infrastructure, govt building, simple road network yet we are eyeing thid complex-complicated nuclear technology. Bikonu, let manage our lives small small and avoid disaster #NuclearBlast grin
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by matrixme(m): 9:15am On Mar 17, 2016
While we embrace the prospects of the nuclear technology, we must however proceed with caution. The image of climbing a plane with ladder at an airport is still fresh in our minds, and if that were possible, we could be shoveling radioactive uranium with bare hands some day.
If the government must proceed with this plan anyway, I will recommend somewhere like Akwa Ibom, Ebonyi or Katsina, but never in my own backyard. Hahahahaha grin grin grin
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by Nobody: 9:17am On Mar 17, 2016
babestella:
Our generation cap is about 7000MW, eight now we generate less than 1600MW, our transmission capacity is about 4000MW.
Even I we use nuclear power to generate 4000MW, how do we transmit same, I think our focus should be more with maximizing our current generation cap while expanding our transmission capacity, I hate when people put carts before the horse just to make news & speak English.

This babe sabi oh grin #MadamEngr
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by mamaafrik(m): 9:18am On Mar 17, 2016
ckmayoca:

It's funny my brother walai... bring nuclear power into nigeria that doesn't have a maintenance culture. First where will it be located? They will want it near water so maybe lagos will do.
lagos cant be used for siting such,ennnnhhh,lagos ke,you remeber that single lagos blast,itz cost to the nation?,uranuim exist in gombe and adamawa,we need a place that is remote,away from people,security hoisted and near sea,and not too far from nation grid, Mahin or aiyetoro in Ondo state will be a good site.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by codemaniacs: 9:22am On Mar 17, 2016
mamaafrik:
lagos cant be used for siting such,ennnnhhh,lagos ke,you remeber that single lagos blast,itz cost to the nation?,uranuim exist in gombe and adamawa,we need a place that is remote,away from people,security hoisted and near sea,and not too far from nation grid, Mahin or aiyetoro in Ondo state will be a good site.

It should not be site anywhere in the south and it shouldn't be considered in the first place.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by tbliss22(m): 9:22am On Mar 17, 2016
mrvitalis:

Hello sir, nice suggestions you gave up there but like seriously you think they don't know the way forward?? Yes, they know what to do but aliens and scavengers everywhere in the sector.

Try and visit egbin thermal station alone, you will see more than 4 steam and gas turbines idle with no maintenance. I once work @ a private power company just beside Egbin themal station and believe me the small company alone generates 400MW with just eight (cool gas turbine engines and just 10 to 15 workers strength.

So they know the right thing to do but only want to keep embezzling millions of dollars for maintenance which won't be done at the end of the day.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by adelekeaka: 9:22am On Mar 17, 2016
magabounce:
Hmmmmm
It's pretty obvious we don't have future thinkers in dz country
Almost every forward thinking country has focused less on hydro and moved to nuclear power generation.
God bless Nigeria

"The safest nuclear policy is not to have any
plants at all," Former Prime Minister of Japan Naoto Kan, in office during the fukushima crisis.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by Ziggyduben(m): 9:25am On Mar 17, 2016
Nuclear? Wow!!! We still can't manage hydro, we going nuclear... well, whatever gives us light.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by olajide8(m): 9:32am On Mar 17, 2016
Nigeria - Nigeria O!
Atomic energy ha! Militants are bursting gas pipelines, we are thinking of atomic energy- Ha! Fulani herds men are killing people, imagine boko haram, taking a bomb to a nuclear reactor and detonating themselves to hell, look at the rippling effect?

We cannot maintain a road or building successfully, we are talking atomic energy- look at Japan of recent, look at Russia where their was a accident, till date that place is a desert, everything their is desolate, we are on the verge of annihilating ourselves -
God save us from us..

1 Like

Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by billyG(m): 9:37am On Mar 17, 2016
We needed d nuclear power plant in d East ASAP,who hav been denied federal infractructure 4 long.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by GreatEngineer(m): 9:38am On Mar 17, 2016
codemaniacs:

All the resources u mentioned can't be found in the north... So it will not be considered.

Only southerners can develop those things but the fg will looks for ways to sabotage it or make sure it favors the north.

Now this is the reason we as a country will continue this way for many year because tribal sentiment flow together with our blood in us,
nuclear power plant in the north! what a glorify time bomb.

We are not suppose to be together in the first place except for Lord Lugard.

True federalism is the key if we must stay together as a country.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by Djbaka(m): 9:40am On Mar 17, 2016
angels09:
God forbid. serious countries are shutting down nuke plants and going for clean energy. a country that cannot manage refineries....please install it in Kastina.

This is the funniest post I'm reading this week.
The fact is so so true, which made it funnier.

A child that has not passed WAEC is applying for a PhD programme.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by TalkingBird: 9:42am On Mar 17, 2016
please this should not happen. We have not been able to manage smaller challenging issues talk of a Nuclear plant that may out of hand.

Japan with all their technology and knowledge are battling the last failure during the a tsunami with much difficulty, and here we talk about venturing into it. Wahala!

We may or will run into trouble.

Remember Chernobyl disaster in former Soviet Union.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by stevLegend: 9:43am On Mar 17, 2016
nnachukz:
Always "we will" "we shall" later buhari will deny ever saying nor hearing that. Zombies should wake me up when the statement reads "we have" . Campaign is over, they should stop buying this shit anymore.

It seems as if all the cabinet of d FG has watched ''Hard Target''
In most news, they keep targeting things.
Soon, FG will Target to Rip Nigerians apart.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by Kenmoris22: 9:45am On Mar 17, 2016
[quote author=nnachukz post=43841887]Always "we will" "we shall" later buhari will deny ever saying nor hearing that. Zombies should wake me up when the statement
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by divineappo(m): 10:24am On Mar 17, 2016
Topam:

http://www.punchng.com/fg-targets-4000mw-from-nuclear-energy/
i support dis nuclear plant idea but we need to now work hard on increasing security in dis country, by technologically empowering d police, DSS, military, e.t.c. bcoz if a terrorist group covertly gains access to the nuclear plant and blow it up, over 1million nigerians could be killed in a single nuclear attack. am just saying my own oooh.

Nevertheless, i support any idea that will give me electricity to watch more thriller movies & season films.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by Nobody: 10:36am On Mar 17, 2016
magabounce:
Hmmmmm
It's pretty obvious we don't have future thinkers in dz country
Almost every forward thinking country has focused less on hydro and moved to nuclear power generation.
God bless Nigeria

You do not know what you are talking about.
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by Nobody: 10:39am On Mar 17, 2016
mrvitalis:

How did you come about all these your figures?
Re: FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy by free13: 10:45am On Mar 17, 2016
MisterGrace:
grin grin This same present Government almost crucified the previous Government for trying to embark on this dangerous quest.
In any case of meltdown of the plant, radioactivity will destroy and kill many innocent Nigerians...

So much for hypocrisy.

10000 likes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sagay, Ozekhome, Falana Reject Immunity For Presiding Officers Of Legislature / Nigeria's GDP Grew By 1.87% in Q1 2020 Amid Global Challenges / Buhari Was Not Involved In Any Air Mishap, it is fake news - Femi Adesina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.