Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,822 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? (6048 Views)

Poll: Should Nigeria Divide or Be United Forever?

For division: 69% (48 votes)
Against division: 30% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

(Video) Breaking News: Nigeria Should Divide -pastor Oyedepo / Referendum:nigeria Should Divide Or Remain?...cast Your Vote Now! / How Nigerians Should Divide By The Country - Man - O - War! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Uchebobo: 5:16pm On Jul 21, 2009
A lot are being said about Nigeria diving up in the near future when the oil is dry, potential diminishes and minerals are too costly to tap. Some say diversity in culture, norms and religious beliefs should be a great reason for this to happen. Others believe in order for the country to be united forever that State and Land Owner should control the produce of their land not Federal Government. If you believe the country should be together. How can Nigeria stay united in harmony and in riches? Why do you believe that the country shall break up into pieces? This is the major challenge facing us now and the tomorrow of our kids. Let’s start the debate now. Luv u all for your contribution and responses.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Fhemmmy: 5:27pm On Jul 21, 2009
If you ask if Nigeria shuold stay together, i will say yes.
If you ask, if it is possible, i will say No.
The future of one Nigeria is becoming more bleak than ever.
So sad though.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Ikemuomah(m): 5:58pm On Jul 21, 2009
Brake up is the the best thing that can happen to Nigeria. your cannot build on a false/fraudulent foundation!
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Eziachi: 6:13pm On Jul 21, 2009
Fhemmmy:

If you ask if Nigeria shuold stay together, i will say yes.
If you ask, if it is possible, i will say No.
The future of one Nigeria is becoming more bleak than ever.
So sad though.

Best answers above for me, but the prospect is not sad for me thought but rather exciting.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by nex(m): 6:16pm On Jul 21, 2009
They say that abstinence the the best safeguard against HIV, but "if u no fit hold body", use a condom.

I love Nigeria as it is, the cultural blend, the beauty of the people and the land, the shape of the map, our music, our cultures, our food, our pidgin language and our sense of humour and pride. "But if we no wan hold body, make all man waka". I'll just cry for a day or two then rep Africa to the fullest.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Fhemmmy: 6:19pm On Jul 21, 2009
Eziachi:

Best answers above for me, but the prospect is not sad for me thought but rather exciting.

Exciting? what would be excitiing about it?
Have u ever seen 2 brothers that broke up and divide parental properties and eat in same plate afterwards?
People never know what they have till they lose it.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Uchebobo: 7:44pm On Jul 21, 2009
Ike.muomah:

Brake up is the the best thing that can happen to Nigeria. your cannot build on a false/fraudulent foundation!

With good leadership, I believe Nigeria can shake off the false/fraudulent foundation.

When a river that serves as a source to the surrounding trees or flowers is cut off, what happen to the fruit they bear and the leaves? Apparently become sad, look ugly and slowly dies off. It may look interesting watching the disintegration but the end might be so sad and the experience might just be woeful. Think about the decline of the Old Russian Empire.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by strangleyo: 8:14pm On Jul 21, 2009
True federalism, yes, otherwise impossible.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by naijaway(m): 8:26pm On Jul 21, 2009
YES, UNITED forever and ever and ever whenever. And later the whole of west, east, south, and a little bit of north Africa forever and ever. That will be the real USA not just yarning.  The Nigerian part coupled with very useful and very good relations with the rest of west Africa I hope cool to live through or most of it.  cool
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by BlackRevo: 8:32pm On Jul 21, 2009
The best is for us to divide peacefully or  through a war.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Tsiya(m): 9:02pm On Jul 21, 2009
Everything depends on the aspiration of Nigerians rather than the aspirations of few individual people, who believe they are the brain of the country.

Few individuals, believe that when Nigeria split into tiny countries, they will be better off. Their thinking, is narrow and self service because they stand to benefit from being the founding fathers, the fathers and political god fathers of the new countries.

Many people in the south, especially the narrow minded ones, that havent travelled to the north, underscore the nature in which this country inter-twined. The large community of the southern people in the north, will make breaking this country into tiny pieces very difficult. If it did happen, it will be a disaster. There will be mass migration of people, never witnessed in the modern history of mankind. For sure, I know something, if this country breaks, there is no way, the nothern states will allow the current population of the southern people to continue staying in the norht. Nor will will the southern people allow the northern people.

Human capital is very important of development. However, as the population of the world increases, land and resources are very necessary for peaceful co-existance. It is no longer a new thing, that every country now, even the developed world, are trying to limit the number of migrants in their country, the rise of racism and facist in europe can bear this fact.

Hence, the belicose statements of most southerners are not going to make this country break into tiny peaces. Some of the leaders know and that is why they are not pushing for that.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Uchebobo: 9:09pm On Jul 21, 2009
strangleyo:

True federalism, yes, otherwise impossible.

DICTONARY.COM defines Federalism as a system of government in which power is divided between a central authority and constituent political units.

Stangleyo(I wish your true name is known cool ) - Is that also your definition of Federalism?

It's important to define any big terms used and explain why it's being used to better clarify our stand.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 21, 2009
The politically correct answer is yes Nigeria should remanin united, and I expect this answer to crowd this thread
but often times if you ask folks of the benefits so far and the benefits going forward, their answer gets hollow.

But the fact is that we are a Nation of competing truths and competing values. The South wants to embrace full fledged western civilization because of the freedom it promises, the North is more inclined to the Arab world.

In the South we believe a more pragmatic way forward is to have a secular Nigeria where everyone is allowed to live wherever they like protected by the constitution to practice whatever faith they like, socialize how they like, and pursue whatever business they like. In the North they say secularity is a christain concept and wont accept it, Hence Sharia.

We hardly have a middle ground on any issue.

We live in a Nation where we can't get something as simple as census right because regions will rather forge the figure so as to rip more from the oil in the delta. some even go as far as allowing non Nigerians from chad and niger republic into our boarders so as to justify exponential census figures. What this does is efficient National planning becomes impossible because there is no credible statistics, election results can not be benchmarked to National statistics etc.
No nation can thrive in an atmosphere like this.

Sometimes I wish oil can dry up tonight so that the world will be honest about our future. The North and South are simply not compatible!!!

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Tsiya(m): 9:23pm On Jul 21, 2009
Uchebobo:

DICTONARY.COM defines Federalism as a system of government in which power is divided between a central authority and constituent political units.

Stangleyo(I wish your true name is known cool ) - Is that also your definition of Federalism?

It's important to define any big terms used and explain why it's being used to better clarify our stand.

Federalism: political system: a political system in which several states or regions defer some powers, e.g. in foreign affairs, to a central government while retaining a limited measure of self-government
Microsoft® Encarta® 2007. © 1993-2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The extend to which the central government hold power depends vary from country to country. As far as Nigeria is concern, we are practicing true federalism. We have states that have their budgets and maintain civil structures. The central government retain certain powers, owing to the nature of our country, this powers hav bn defined in the constitution as to include security, Fedarilsm, we have. What people should be asking for is more devolution of powers to the states
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 21, 2009
Tsiya:

Federalism: political system: a political system in which several states or regions defer some powers, e.g. in foreign affairs, to a central government while retaining a limited measure of self-government
Microsoft® Encarta® 2007. © 1993-2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The extend to which the central government hold power depends vary from country to country. As far as Nigeria is concern, we are practicing true federalism. We have states that have their budgets and maintain civil structures. The central government retain certain powers, owing to the nature of our country, this powers hav bn defined in the constitution as to include security, Fedarilsm, we have. What people should be asking for is more devolution of powers to the states

I did not know Microsoft is now a political encyclopedia shocked shocked shocked
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Tsiya(m): 9:29pm On Jul 21, 2009
shut down ur pc and go and sleep
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 21, 2009
My people would say "this situation has poured salt into my mouth and has also brought in poluted air. Polluted air cannot be sucked in, while the salt cannot be spat out"

Oro yi, bu yo ati iso si mi lenu. Iso re ko se pola, iyo re ko se tu danu

Sorry if the grammar is a bit wacked. Really hard interpreting the saying.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Uchebobo: 9:36pm On Jul 21, 2009
Tsiya said "what people should be asking for is more devolution of powers to the states"

Tsiya - How can we make this happen if you believe strongly in devolution of powers to the states?
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 21, 2009
Tsiya:

shut down ur pc and go and sleep

no need for that

all you need to do is to produce a credible political pundit or dictionary, or encyclopedia that supports your definition of federalism
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Eziachi: 9:39pm On Jul 21, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Exciting? what would be excitiing about it?
Have u ever seen 2 brothers that broke up and divide parental properties and eat in same plate afterwards?
People never know what they have till they lose it.

Brother ke?
No we are not brothers, we are convenient friends and neighbours.
Wait till we divide and watch your brother from the north looking up northward for their real brother in Mauritania and Libya. You wait.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Yuno: 9:41pm On Jul 21, 2009
Nigeria is a British mistake and NOTHING ELSE, a joke of a country created by white who knew little about the region , there is not a SINGLE major (heavily populated, more than 100 million) country in the world that lacks a dominant ethnic group or common religion/language the way Nigeria does, instead this country is crippled collection of fighting ethnicities who will never come together as a nation,
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by ikeyman00(m): 9:54pm On Jul 21, 2009
[size=26pt]@@@@@@@@@@@@@

stop disgracin nigeria

morons![/size]
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Uchebobo: 9:55pm On Jul 21, 2009
Yuno:

Nigeria is a British mistake and NOTHING ELSE, a joke of a country created by white who knew little about the region , there is not a SINGLE major (heavily populated, more than 100 million) country in the world that lacks a dominant ethnic group or common religion/language the way Nigeria does, instead this country is crippled collection of fighting ethnicities who will never come together as a nation,

Yuno - Should we still believe that the mistake of the colonist (British) cannot be reverse after 49 years of independence? What’s the way forward in your own terms?  wink
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Eziachi: 10:08pm On Jul 21, 2009
Uchebobo:

Yuno - Should we still believe that the mistake of the colonist (British) cannot be reverse after 49 years of independence? What’s the way forward in your own terms?  wink

It's like trying to make the French become part of Germany as one country. In a million years it will not work.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by asha80(m): 10:12pm On Jul 21, 2009
Eziachi:

It's like trying to make the French become part of Germany as one country. In a million years it will not work.

What about switzerland?
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Eziachi: 10:15pm On Jul 21, 2009
asha 80:

What about switzerland?

What about Switzerland dear?
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Yuno: 10:17pm On Jul 21, 2009
Quote: Uchebobo
Yuno - Should we still believe that the mistake of the colonist (British) cannot be reverse after 49 years of independence? What’s the way forward in your own terms?

the solution is simple, a Czech style split of the country into three or even four seperate viable countries , Each country would have very large populations between 30 and 60 million and a large land area
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by LadyT(f): 10:18pm On Jul 21, 2009
Let it break up jare everyone face their own side instead of feasting on oil money.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by asha80(m): 10:19pm On Jul 21, 2009
Eziachi:

What about Switzerland dear?

I think switzerland has german,french and italian people inrelation to what you said about french and germans living together.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Uchebobo: 10:22pm On Jul 21, 2009
Posted by: LadyT
Insert Quote
Let it break

Is that the word I'm hearing " Let it break -up"?
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by Yuno: 10:23pm On Jul 21, 2009
Quote: Asha80
What about switzerland?

I was wondering when someone might bring up Switzerland, fortunately i have lived in that country and know it well and can disspell some myths about it.

1. Switzerland is not a country of equal German, French, and Italian parts, Switzerland like Austria is an overwhelmingly German-speaking country (more than 70% live in the German regions) and the Germans are economically and politically dominant, the French speakers are a clear minority like the Welsh in the Uk or French Canadians,

2. Also Switzerland unlike Nigeria has a strong  ancient democratic system that has bonded its different language groups for centuries, its not the same as a common language but its another bond that the people of Nigeria lack,

As I said Nigeria is a white man's mistake and no other large country in the world is in a similar unworkable demographic position with very distinct with no common language or religion and no one dominant group to anchor them together

Nigeria must go !!!
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Should Divide Up Or Be United Forever? by asha80(m): 10:24pm On Jul 21, 2009
Uchebobo:

Posted by: LadyT
Insert Quote
Let it break

Is that the word I'm hearing " Let it break -up"?

What do you want to hear?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Flood Victims In Adamawa Paid N200 & N240 As Compensation / Jim Nwobodo Dead Son's Corpse Missing At His Burial Today / Meet President Buhari's Pilot Of Nigeria Airfoce 001 - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.